Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...
I've been really interested in seeing Harvest Moon: Land of Origin come stateside, after having spent quite a few years without touching a Harvest Moon game because of how Natsume has been handling the localizations, but it looks so good, and I really need something worth playing on my 3DS.

I just really hope Natsume doesn't pull the same bullshit on it as it did with HM: Cute. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

Welp, if anyone's shipment mysteriously disappeared, I may have gotten it. For some reason they sent me three copies of it even though I only ordered and payed for one.

And holy poo poo that yak plushie is soft. Reminds me of my chinchilla.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

Welp, I finally have my apiaries up. In the next two days I should be done with the second plan, and over fall I'm hoping to get eight more apiaries up so I the bees make three times as much honey. Plus it'll give me something to do with the hundred or so bees I have stored up.

Always bees, all the time.

Hopefully I'll also be able to get the tailor in the first year if this works out.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

You can buy iron and copper from Rebecca. If you need money just work on getting an iron axe and harvesting as much lumber as possible, since one stack is worth 9900 G and you can get six in a day pretty easily.

And just got the tailor's building. Now I can be fabulous.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

PlushCow posted:

Thankfully, at least in my experience, you don't have to put the cows outside unless you want them outside; their stress levels have been staying at 0 for me. I do give them treats everyday, if that matters.

When are you able to make beehives? I'm still in the first Summer and have done no work on the town restoration thus far, but I have a huge field of tomatoes :sun:

Putting them outside raises their affection faster, which increases their milk quality.

And beehives are available about mid-summer. Either that, or you need the second restoration plan.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I'm kind of tempted to start another character in A New Beginning and spend the first three months normally, then binge poison mushrooms for the whole winter and become a crazy cat lady who lives in a desolate hovel at the highest point in the farm with only a bunch of cats, a chicken, and a stack of bees to keep me company.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

Oh god, I unlocked the pet shop.

God have mercy on my soul, I can never visit town at 9:50 nor 5:50 again.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

Trying to get some of the less... tacky outfits right now, but everything seems to require poo poo like great alpaca yarn or Suffolk yarn, and I'm still in the first winter trying to get great wool. I have like 34 hours at the sanctuary to go to get great wool, I'm on two out of three sheep pregnancies to get suffolk sheep, and another month to get alpacas, so I was wondering if anyone would be willing to help me out here, either through trading or just the multiplayer animal farming, since both players get a copy of the materials. I have tons of minerals I can trade, if nothing else. And bees. So many bees.

Friend code is 0731-4814-7892.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

Star Guarded posted:

I really wish Animal Sanctuary had a fishing spot or something. Do you really just sit there for a few hours?

...Yup. Pretty much. I just let it idle and do other things instead. Generally don't go until around 1:00 PM every day, though.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

Revol posted:

What benefit is there to befriending animals, if this is even possible? I've discovered that the bear loves honey. Okay... so why would I want to keep giving him honey? It does seem like there may be wild animal based item drops. The first time I hammered the tree, I got some kind of animal felt drop.

They will give you presents on your birthday.

I'm not kidding.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

Harvest Moon has it's similarities to Animal Crossing, but there's a bigger time and resource management aspect to it, as well as things like marriage and town customization.

Also worth noting that an in-game hour is equivalent to one minute, so 50 in-game hours is equivalent to fifty minutes, and you can't actually do it all in one chunk, since the animal sanctuary is only open on certain days of the week and limited to between 10:00 AM and 9:00 PM in-game time.

I'd definitely recommend it, though. It can be slow, but there's a lot of content and by the time you reach Fall of the first year you'll generally have enough to do in a day that you won't really be spending any time just sitting around.

Miijhal fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Nov 7, 2012

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

The only time any of my animals have been stressed is when I hit one of my sheep with a scythe.

That said, I think taking the animals outside also increases their affection. But you really shouldn't be having your animals graze unless you really just can't be arsed to harvest the grass, because you get five times the animal food just by harvesting it.

Edit: Oh, and llamas are straight up banchos in this game.

Miijhal fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Nov 12, 2012

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

elzie posted:

I'm halfway through Fall of Year 1 and I'm working on Restoration #3. The problem is, it's literally been raining ALL SEASON LONG except on Festival days when the shops are closed anyway, so, I ran out of chicken feed and now it's Thursday and it's raining and oh god Neil why the gently caress is your shop closed on weekends?

All of my chickens are gonna die. :smith:
Unless it's a hurricane, Neil's shop is open on rainy days.

Toriori posted:

Who is everyone courting? I'm sticking with Rod since he's the guy that isn't a gigantic rear end in a top hat.
Just got Iroha's reverse confession. The only other candidate I could see myself going with is the witch, but, uh, that would take a bit too much time.

Everyone else is too busy being a bunch of loons.

Miijhal fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Nov 12, 2012

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

elzie posted:

What? Where? He's usually in the plaza Mon-Thurs and he definitely has not been because of the rain. He also explicitly said he was closed when it rains when he introduced himself. Am I missing something, because I would really love to be able to go buy Chicken Feed.

Hmm. I might be misremembering, then. I just recall seeing him on rainy days in the plaza.

Then again I usually stock up on everything I need in the hundreds and I only have one chicken.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

Klaus is flipping the gently caress out over the mechanics of macaroni and cheese. I know he's a dick and all, but looks like he's crazy, too.

"WE MORTALS ARE A BUNDLE OF CURIOSITY. IF WE SEE A HOLE THEN HOW CAN WE RESIST PEERING INTO IT?"

Klaus confirmed to be a peeping tom.

Miijhal fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Nov 13, 2012

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

GruntyThrst posted:

I can't help but feel this is some kind of unredeemable Harvest Moon sin.

I wonder if making a profitable Harvest Moon puppy mill is possible?

Also, for anyone who hates herding, just give Neil tons of fodder and eventually he'll give you a bell that herds all the animals without any cutscene.

Edit: Also, anyone have some brown alpaca wool they'd be willing to trade? I really, really need the speedy brush right about now.

Miijhal fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Nov 14, 2012

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

Shirec posted:

How high up on the affection scale are we talking here? I've been idly wooing him just out of boredom, and lack of dudes.

With most NPCs that give you items, it's around 30,000 FP.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

Crowbear posted:

Something must be up. I gave the chef mushrooms for 10-11 days and he gave me like, 9 cookbooks (up to advanced recipes 1).

e: Also the bell is pretty poo poo, unless there's an upgraded version or something. I've taken to just watching for long stretches of sunny days, having my pets take the animals out on the first day, then telling them to stop helping until the last day so they can take the animals back in. Minimal hassle and cut-scenes, lots of outdoors time.

There are two bells: one is simply labeled as a "bell", the other is the "animal bell". The former just helps you build affection with your animal. The latter is a decoration that takes all your animals outside/put them back in the barn when you ring it.

Also, just convert poison mushrooms into mushroom soup to give to the chef. It gives 500 friendship points with him.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

Tried out the multiplayer. So far, no luck getting Brown Alpaca wool, but I did send a bunch of people bees. It's also apparently not region specific, even if the games themselves are region locked.

Miijhal fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Nov 18, 2012

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

Honest Ray posted:

I've got a brown Alpaca if anyone needs some fur. I just made my brush.

Oh man, I could really use it. Trying to get enough for the brush and one outfit (although getting 21 of them would probably take too long in multiplayer, so I'll probably have to wait for the latter).

I've got plenty of stuff to trade, including some five star tea leaves, and in one or two in-game days I should have great alpaca and llama wool, if you need it. Code is 0731-4814-7893.

edit: We might as well just set up some goon multiplayer rooms. You basically just meet up with each-other, randomly exchange gifts, and then dick around with up to 20 animals (5 per player). Everyone gets one item from each animal, or up to five if they're giant animals. You can pretty much do it infinitely, too.

senae posted:

I don't know what to think about that ad though :/ I feel like they might have lost sight of their target demographic with that one.

No, it's actually pretty perfect. The main demographic, as far as I can tell, is people who buy joke gifts for their friends and people who like playing terrible games.

Miijhal fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Nov 19, 2012

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

Honest Ray posted:

My email is ryuk8488@yahoo.com I'm in Ohio so I'm eastern time zone. I'd love to help any and all goons out so feel free to email me and we can set something up. I work during the day, but I'm free around 3 and on. We can set up a time and meet up. Where exactly do I find my friendcode for this game? Never used it before.

You can check your friend code by pressing the home button and clicking on the little square smiley face at the top of the screen. You'll be the first person in your friends list, and your code will be under your name.

I'm open most of the day, since after tomorrow I'll have the week off. Same time zone.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

Revol posted:

- Trees can lose their rank after a bad storm. I've read reports of 5 star trees degrading to 4.5 after a storm. I wonder if the same happens with other crops?

All crops lose quality after storms.

Edit: And I can confirm this because my max quality flax plants all lost a rank when a blizzard struck.

Miijhal fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Nov 20, 2012

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

By the way, if anyone needs some wool of any type, I'd be happy to help over multiplayer.

Also, word of advice: always hit the giant trees on rainy/snowy days. The drop rate for down is significantly higher then, and it'll save you a few trips to the ancient ruins.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

Later on in the game you'll unlock a two trees that drop items when hit with a hammer. Don't worry about it for now.

Also, the best source of money is animal products. Get a few chickens and satisfy all their needs every day to raise the quality and amount of their product and you should pull in quite a bit of money. Once you unlock the mines, though, lumber will be the best source of money for a month or two.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

Shirec posted:

So on breeding, can you only have one pregnant animal at a time? Cause that's annoying if so

You can have one for each barn, and one barn per area. If you've unlocked the other two farmlands, then you can have a total of three.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

Except you get a field that waters itself only a small bit into the game. The Ultra Hammer is essential to use that last mineral vein.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

Julet Esqu posted:

I guess coins can also be used to power the little vehicles you can build, like the mechanical panda. I have not built the mechanical panda or any of the other vehicles yet, though, so I don't know if it's worth while.

Soseki likes to eat old coins, if you want to use them as gifts.

The mechanical panda is kind of useful if you can deal with the migraine it'll cause you, but otherwise don't bother.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

EXPLAIN TO ME THE MECHANICS OF THIS SO-CALLED "MACARONI". :spergin:

A New Beginning has the weirdest loving cast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

Blhue posted:

What's with half their promo thing looking like a Tales game and the other half being a couple different generic kids animes?

Because they're localizing some Kemco game.

I'd say something about their Harvest Moon still probably not allowing for gay marriage, but it looks like the player characters are married to the Goddess of Foreheads anyway.

• Locked thread