Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

jngshin posted:

The SNES and N64 versions were the only ones I could really get into. The art just had fantastic charm. I thank my enchantment with the original game to the fact that I never read any walkthroughs or other misc. game information.

Out of all of the versions of Harvest Moon I really love the first one the best. If there was a way I could play it on my DS I don't think I'd ever play another Harvest Moon game besides that. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I married Griffin in Harvest Moon Cute and he's the best choice. :colbert:

So I fell asleep playing the original Harvest Moon last night thanks to my last post, and I couple of questions.

I've heard that the fence is meaningless and if you have no wood posts at all the game never does the "whoops your chickens escaped/got eaten!" check after it rains since there's no rotting wood on the farm.

Also, what gives you more energy: Sitting in the hot springs, or rapidly jumping in and out?

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Vakal posted:

Yeah, the runey system was the least enjoyable addition in Frontier. Although as long as you didn't mess around with it, the system was setup to be more of less self-sufficient so you didn't get bonus or a penalty to your crops.

It was kind of fun though to max out every area and have the most expensive crops grow in 1-2 days. And even the flowers that would take 100+ days to bloom, would be done in a couple of weeks.

Sometimes I debate about putting the homebrew channel on my Wii just so I can cheat the runey system and not worry about it.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

AG3 posted:

If I remember the SNES Harvest Moon right, you lost some affection with your wife every day you came home to end that day too late (after she had already gone to bed). I'm not sure if it had other ways to lose affection, like forgetting your anniversary, or birthdays, stuff like that.

The best part about this is when I was little I thought my best friend was a pathological liar because she kept telling me how she totally got her wife to leave her in Harvest Moon and killed off her cows.

Whoops! :v:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Lobster Fancy posted:

I just started playing it and have found it alot more tolerable then SI/IoH.

The fact that you can do a double jump in this game makes it infinitely better to me for some reason.

Yeah, it can pretty much be summed up as a "Island" game that doesn't suck.

Though I'm torn on which Bachelor to marry. They're all so plain. :geno:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Can someone explain to me why in the year 2010 we're still restricted to 6 character names?

The day we break the six character limit is the same day Phoenix Wright games get multiple save slots. :argh:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Another stupid question: how do I prepare tea? It's the tea festival and doing anything with tea in the kitchen isn't working.

Just put it in the windmill at your farm (it should be open by now) and simply make it into canned tea. Tada!

e: Beaten. Well, then I'll add that you don't NEED to prepare the tea for the festival. Just hand the can over to the Mayor.

I'm having a ball selling stuff at the bazaar. Though I wish I could have more control of it. I should be able to triple the prices of flowers right before the flower festival, or sell my out-of-season crops for a comically large profit! In fact I kinda want to play a game where I'm just selling stuff. :v:

And I think I'll marry the 'mysterious' Prince guy. Though Ivan's not that bad in a girly sort of way.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Oh gently caress Yes

And...I think my game might be broken? :smith: The Windmill Guy told me that I could finally unlock the last windmill, and showed it to me. Except I never opened the second one. Am I screwed, or is this a mistranslation?

Also I raised over 40k for the next bazaar upgrade but the game keeps acting like I didn't! :argh:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Revol posted:

It's an odd wording, yeah. The other windmill opens up in the fall or something.

And the first time I earned over 20K during the first bazaar, I didn't upgrade. I had to do it twice. So maybe it's the same for all of them, and maybe it takes even longer? Also, are you going to the meeting the day after?

Well that's good about the windmill. I was worried I had to reset. :ohdear:

I'm going to the meeting after each bazaar, but it's always the same. "Knitter made the most money! Knitter was the most popular! But we're not even close to our goal :("

e: Also I really do have a Mexican friend named Raul. He is not happy about this game :v:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Zenzirouj posted:

Wait, so they finally make run a toggle in Bazaar, then decided that was too good of an idea and regressed for the next game? :wtc:

I bet there's no double-jump either! :mad:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Revol posted:

They die. Crops will take longer to grow if you water them TWICE a day. Same with fertilizer. It also means it is of higher grade.

Wait, crops take longer to grow if you water them twice a day? :psyduck:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
God drat it I still can't upgrade the bazaar!

Mr. Awesomehat Mayor is now saying that we're almost there despite the fact that I've cleared 40k at least three times now! I'm starting to think the bastard's embezzling funds.

Also, do higher star gifts = more friendship/love points?

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Guys guys guys I'm "One step away" from the next bazaar upgrade!

Sure, I made 100k last session but that's nowhere close to 40k! :downs:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Necroneocon posted:

Does anyone know if there is some sort of method to ringing the bell at the bazaar? I am in Fall of year 1 and either I am having really bad luck or I am doing something wrong. What am I gonna do with 50+ roasted eggplants now? :saddowns: I have never been really good at Harvest Moon games but I love them nonetheless, and it seems like I should be able to get a hang of this one at least.

I had the exact same problem, except I'm now up to my eyeballs in roasted yams. :saddowns:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
So I was having a nasty bout of insomnia last night and played Grand Bazaar until I finally drifted off.

All I remember is blacking out, opening my eyes, and seeing that it was 3-4 days later at 4am in-game.

I'm kinda scared to see what's happened to my farm. :ohdear:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Revol posted:

You never went to bed, so maybe it never saved?

I honestly don't know. Either I just sat there and my character kept waking up/passing out and I missed a bazaar/my crops are dead, or my half-asleep self totally messed everything up.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
My game hosed up again. :ohdear:

I started my first winter! Okay, out the door to explore the new season!

My game froze when I went down the stairs on my farm.

Okay, reset and jump down. Still froze. Sleep a few days and try on a non-snowing day. Still froze. My sister is at the same point and I tried her save. Perfectly fine.

I think this game hates me. :smith:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
So can you buy grass seeds and grow fodder? Is it something that just pops up randomly during the bazaar?

I couldn't get my game to stop freezing, so I've restarted as a guy. I think I'm going to follow the rest of you and romance Freya. I'm even stocking up on butterflies to give her! :3:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

You can MAKE grass seeds by combining fodder and fertilizer in the grinding windmill. I don't know what they're used for or if they regrow on their own, because I only sold them like a chump. (I was short on money, ok?)

Ah. Good to know. I was waiting for it to show up at the bazaar and then buy some animals, but I guess I don't have to worry about that! :downs:

I know the game's still new, but has anyone made a heart guide for the girls yet? All of the ones I can find are boys-only.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

LordSloth posted:

For crying out loud, six letter names? Small gripe, but I'd expect better from a commercial game. Six letters, when 8 is just too much to ask for.

I think in all of my many years of playing videogames I've come across one that allowed up to ten letters.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Corridor posted:

Been looking through the Twin Villages official site, once again I'm reminded I'm far too old for this game by being attracted to characters' parents. Why are that chick with the glasses and the guy with the eyepatch not marriageable? :mad: They're way hotter than any HM characters I've seen in... ever.

I have the same problem. I have never cared about the whole "Eww they all look like babies!" thing. I mean the farmer always looks like the same age as the girls, so obviously in the Harvest Moon world 18-year-olds just look like that! :downs:

Then I played the Rune Factory and God drat it I want to marry the hot Mom that runs the restaurant at the beach!

And in Grand Bazaar I totally want to marry Raul. He's just so cute. :3:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

FredMSloniker posted:

Since nobody answered me from last page...

Your grandma plays videogames that's awesome :3:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Corridor posted:

Hey I just hoiked some adamantite out of a river rock. Is it super rare or something? Like, should I be saving it or can I sell it off?

All I get in the river is tin cans. :saddowns:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I wish there was a way to tell the next day's weather. That way I could keep my cows/sheep/chickens outside if needed.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Is it me or do animals get stressed if you leave them inside all of the time? It hasn't happened to my cow/sheep, but my chicken does seem to get stressed for no reason even if I keep it fed and pick it up every day.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Zenzirouj posted:

Do you have the stethoscope? It's the only way to talk to them and produces some hilarious mental images. And drat, I'm a chump for buying all that animal food.

It hasn't shown up in the bazaar yet. I'm still in my first year since I had to restart. :argh:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Being one of the few people in the world who have actually played it, I wanted to do a writeup on Shepherd's Crossing 2, but I guess I'm too lazy. But one of the crazy things about that bizarre game is that you butcher your own animals and eat them. One of the first things this weird girl does when you meet her is kill one of your geese it in front of you and cooks it.

What a weird HM-like.

I've been meaning to make a whole topic just for Shepherd's Crossing 2, but real life keeps eating up my free time.

It's a great game to bust out when you're inbetween Harvest Moons. I like it because it slightly more realistic. Marriages are arranged, and instead of the plot being "Unlock the magical rainbows to cure the Harvest Goddess!" it's "Have enough food to live through the winter".

gently caress the cooking system, though. It's a pain in the rear end to use and most of the food is side dish only.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Gorelab posted:

drat. Anyone have freezes in the bazaar Harvest Moon? Everytime I try to enter one house, or head towards the two wifes near the little fountain in the north it freezes.

Yes! That happened to me too! My game would freeze EVERY time I tried going down the stairs in my farm during the winter. I ended up restarting.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I just beat RF3, and I was going to go back and play the first one until I remembered that the only way you can run in the game is by holding down the R button the entire time. :argh:

Night Gaunt posted:

Does Kuruna still call you comrade if you marry her? The answer will be very important in my decision making process.

Tragically, no. As fun as it was to marry a racist soviet unicorn I'm having second thoughts. I should have married Pia. :smith:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Pollyanna posted:

So I'm playing RF3...is it normal to not have much time to do much at all during the days? I can get maybe a request finished, update my crops and talk to people before I run out of RP and realize that I'm way behind on learning to cook, making potions, forging, getting monster buddies, selling off my stuff, building a relationship with the cute pink-haired chick, and succeeding at festivals that I suck at. And then I remember that there's a story to this thing.

:psyduck: Okay, I can't multitask for poo poo, but still! Am I doing something wrong?

As another goon said there's no need to rush. I took about 2-3 months off in game just to woo all of the ladies just to get it out of the way.

On the other hand I swear that making potions/items/weapons is a lot harder to gain levels in this time around. I got to level 40 cooking in no time, but I'm still around level 10 in everything else.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Pollyanna posted:

Holy crap, you guys weren't kidding when you said that 1 and 2 are infuriating to go back to after playing 3. They're not bad games per se (well, the dubbing makes me want to retch, but hey), but there's just so many crappy design choices and overall unpolishedness that I can't even stand to play for a little bit. :gonk: I think I'll be happy playing with RF3 even more.

Oh God this. I decided to replay Rune Factory 1&2 before I replayed 3 again. I got about ten minutes into the first one before I remembered that you have to hold down the R button all of the time to run.

I've been plodding though Rune Factory 2, but it just seems there's less to do then in 3. I kind of like not being able to fit everything in a single day. Right now I'm doing all of my chores, taking the classes, handing out gift, doing requests, and I'm in bed by about noon each day.

Nastyman: It's just not on the DSi. I played Grand Bazaar on my DS Lite and on the first day of winter it froze every loving time I tried to leave me farm. I stopped playing the game just because I was afraid that it would happen again.

Wandering Knitter fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Feb 21, 2011

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Mountaineer posted:

This is exactly what I did. gently caress Runeys.

The only way I'd ever play that game again is if I get the Wii homebrew channel just so I can cheat and max out the drat runies. God I hope they never come back.

And for people looking for recommendations, I suggest hunting down Shepherd's Crossing 2 for the DS if you want to hate yourself and the concept of farming games for awhile :shepicide:

I've played that game so many loving times

And have debated writing a FAQ for it

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

edit: It also has a pretty different tone from HM. It seems more focused on survival, at least at the start. You have to prepare yourself for winter, and if you don't store enough food you could starve. You also need fire wood. Another example of the different tones is how you have to personally butcher your animals to prepare them for food.

You don't starve to death. If you run out of firewood or food you're forced to marry a fat chick. :geno:

In other news, where do I have to preorder to guarantee that plushie llama? Because I NEED that llama.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Catkin posted:

Wait what? I'm going to need some explanation here :crossarms: Not that I don't believe you, knowing some of the bizarre leaps of logic that sometimes happen in these games.

Elizabeth (I think that's her name) is the richest woman in town. Therefore she doesn't have to work/gets the best food so she's really fat. If you slip under 20 wood or fire she shows up going "You poor thing! It must be hard to be a farmer! Here, have some wood/food."

But if you run out of wood/food after that she shows up again and basically says "Well, you obviously can't take care of yourself! So I'll HAVE to marry you so you'll stay alive!"

If I remember correctly she marries you even if you're a girl, or if you're married already.

Also all of the men in town dream of marrying her since she's so rich and beautiful. The most expensive of the bachelors will actually complain about settling for the main character since he was in love with Elizabeth.

Like I said, I know way too much about this loving game.

e: Found a picture of the lovely lass.

Wandering Knitter fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Aug 6, 2011

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
All of this talk of gay marriage and not a single mention of Max?

For shame. I would gay farmer marry him in a heartbeat. :swoon:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I really liked Grand Bazaar at first, but then on the first day of winter in my first playthrough my game froze every time I tried to leave the farm. I tried everything, but the entire save was a waste. After that I lost all motivation to ever play it again.

XboxPants posted:

So I know rune factory 3 is to be awesome, but I see that the first one is really cheap. Is it good to, or did it take them a while to perfect the formula?

A quick note that I don't think anyone else has touched on when it comes to Rune Factory 1: You will loving destroy your right shoulder button. In order to run/move slightly faster than a snail you will have to hold it down through the entire game.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Even though the Gamestop "Hi this is Alex! :downs:" phonecall said the game was coming in tomorrow I was able to pick it up today.

A+ for the plush Llama alone. The game itself will have to wait.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I loving the hell out of Tale of Two Towns. It's pretty much an improved in every way version of Grand Bazaar. And the huge mountain help takes care of the "wasting time till I can re-water the crops" problem!

My only real complaint is holy poo poo are the marriageable townsfolk boring. Do I want to hook up with the guy obsessed with farming, the guy obsessed with flowers, or the guy obsessed with horses? My loins quiver in excitement! :swoon:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

DuckPuncher posted:

That's why I'm playing as a dude.

Then your choices are a girl obsessed with farming, a girl obsessed with flowers, or the girl obsessed with horses! :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

DuckPuncher posted:

gently caress that, I'm marrying the Oracle. :colbert:

Also, I'm really not liking these team-based cooking festivals. Some idiot brought in a failed dish for the first dessert one and screwed us over. :argh:

Same here. Even with the mayor slipping me five-star ingredients for the first few contests it really is random if you win or not.

Pierre tasted my town's food: Two "Eh" and a "Not bad".

Pierre tasted the other town's food: Two "Eh" and a "I LOVE THIS DISH!"

My town won. :psyduck:

• Locked thread