Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
The PS1 version (Back to Nature) is hands down the best one of the series for me. The only one that comes close is Harvest Moon N64, and it had all the same characters- hell, it used all the same sprites! The PS1 version expanded upon most of the concepts of the N64 version without railroading you like the later ones. It never felt like a chore, and it was a lot of fun every step of the way. After playing the N64 version for so long, it was fun seeing the same sprites being totally different.

The thing that really bothered me about the later HM games was that they turned things that should have stayed in optional sidequest territory and made them the main accomplishment of the game! Instead of inheriting a farm to be successful and explore, your primary goal was to un-statue the harvest goddess, or save the town, or some other dumb poo poo that you accomplish by doing all the things you would want to anyway. The thing that sucked about that is now it was a required thing, and made it completely un-fun. With a deadline, it was a chore, not an adventure.

I dunno, I haven't played a recent one that I have liked at all.

Chu Chu posted:

^^BTN is a good game, but you have to remember that HM games used to be all about cramming as much as possible into each 2 minute 15 seconds of a game day. It has a lot of items and playability compared to the N64 version, but having to dink around with the save system and waiting 10 seconds between each screen of the map takes too long. Or maybe I was just a really impatient kid, haha!

The longest load time I ever remember was, like, three seconds. :psyduck:

Chu Chu posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3b3r7ioQGGY

And here is BtN for comparison, check around 1:47 for the loading time to just leave the house.

Goddamn nostalgia. :psypop:

Just Offscreen fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Aug 10, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
Well, I finally got around to picking up a psp on the cheap, and I'm presented with a problem- which Harvest Moon do I buy?

They sell the PS1 version of Back to Nature on the PS Store, as well as Harvest Moon Boy and Girl, which is just a port of Back to Nature and Harvest Moon Girl rolled into one. I'm only considering these two because BtN was my favorite one. Considering I would only play it as a boy, which is the better option?

Has anyone played both and could give me the scoop? I have heard some iffy port issues with B&G, but maybe it would be worth it if the load times were better. I just don't know.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

PhD Pepper posted:

I've played both. I played the PS1 version on a PS2, but I imagine it is much the same. I would recommend that one far over Boy & Girl, because for some crazy reason, they changed the viewing angle on the PSP version, and I really hated that. Also, if you were really wanting to play the Girl version of BtN, I'm pretty sure the game ends when you get married, unless they changed it for this version. The PS1 BtN was my second Harvest Moon, after 64, and I loved it to pieces.

Thanks for clearing that up! I figured the psp port was probably a bad idea after that FFT slowdown mess. Has PSN ever released a port that was actually superior to the original, gameplay wise?

• Locked thread