Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Soy Sauce Beast posted:

I know it's not really well liked because the author stole lots of lines from other places, but I've always been partial to the Draco Dormiens/Veritas/Sinister Trilogy. They're set after book four, and are basically Cassandra Claire's version of books five, six and seven. I can't find it online, so as soon as the megaupload of all three PDFs is finished uploading, I'll link it here.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ALAN54RZ

Thanks for this, I've heard tons about it but never actually read it, probably because I couldn't find the whole thing online. Looking forward to actually reading it.

It's hard to recommend fanfics to people because of the whole shipping scene I feel. Case in point, I don't care how good a fic it is, I'm very unlikely to read it if its not Draco/Hermione, or at least Draco/Female Character. Whelp, there goes my guilty secret.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Epi Lepi posted:

Thanks for this, I've heard tons about it but never actually read it, probably because I couldn't find the whole thing online. Looking forward to actually reading it.

It's hard to recommend fanfics to people because of the whole shipping scene I feel. Case in point, I don't care how good a fic it is, I'm very unlikely to read it if its not Draco/Hermione, or at least Draco/Female Character. Whelp, there goes my guilty secret.
Wow, I don't even know you and I hate you.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

reflir posted:

But this contradicts the canon, stitches worked on Arthur Weasley.

No they didn't. The venom in the wound kept dissolving them.

Pththya-lyi posted:

Years ago, a friend of mine pointed out how silly it is that wizards can't create food. They can turn inanimate objects into animals and back again, but they can't turn them into dead and cooked versions of these same animals? :crossarms:

How is that "creating" food? You need the animals in the first place. Hint: the majority of the world's famine is not due to having multitudes of domesticated livestock/poultry running around but nobody knows how to kill and cook them.

Epi Lepi posted:

I'm unlikely to read a fanfic if it's not Remus/Sirius :3:

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
This isn't really a source for good fanfiction, but if you like spergy snarking about Mary Sue fanfiction, you'll love Potter Sues!

Now gather 'round, my friends, and I shall tell you the tale of how J.K. Rowling signed two of my books.

It was about ten years ago, around the time of the U.S. release of PoA, and Rowling was on a promotional tour of America. When my dad learned that she was to stop in our hometown of Chicago, he knew that I'd flip over the opportunity to meet her: although he didn't understand the appeal of the books, I couldn't have made my love for them any more obvious.

He took me to the Borders bookstore on North Michigan Avenue, where a gargantuan line snaked at least a block out of the store. It was a festival environment: costumed fans mingled with normally-clad onlookers, while employees bustled to-and-fro handing out stickers and daubing lighting-bolt scars onto eager foreheads. I was shocked to find that the pair of twenty-somethings in front of me knew next to nothing about Harry Potter, and one of them gaped in awe as I explained the character's backstory. A couple of hours after we arrived, the line started to move.

As I walked the tortuous path through the store, I could see Rowling sitting in pride of place at the back of the store. It was an assembly-line setup, with two people sitting on either side of her. A customer would hand the book to the first attendant, who would slide it to the second attendant, who would open the book to the title page and then slide it to Rowling, who would dash her pen over it and hand it to the third attendant, who would shut the book and hand it to the fourth attendant, who would hand it back to the owner. There was no chance for chit-chat, not even to ask for a personalized greeting. I would only have a few seconds to tell her how much Harry Potter meant to me, so I had to make my words count. As we neared the signing table, one sentence came to mind.

"I just love your books!" I shouted desperately.

She looked up at me, an expression of mild surprise on her face, and spoke in a low brogue that I couldn't understand. (Later, Dad would tell me that she said "That's the nicest thing anyone could say to me.")

I was delirious with joy. J.K. Rowling had just talked to me! Me!

Dad came up behind me, a self-satisfied grin on his face. "Well, I'm impressed by how fast you're signing these books."

She looked at him, non-plussed, and looked down at the next book to sign.

I was mortified.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

I don't think it's difficult to see why wizards wouldn't want people to find out about them. Remember how we were talking about how easy it would be for Muggles to kill humans? All it would take is a few anti-wizard demagogues and the wizard hunts would begin! And don't say it wouldn't happen, because that is exactly what Voldemort and the Death Eaters try to make happen to the Muggles. People like Voldemort are a constant reminder of just how dangerous revealing their secret would be. I mean if the Muggles knew about Voldemort they'd never trust any wizards.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Hedrigall posted:

How is that "creating" food? You need the animals in the first place. Hint: the majority of the world's famine is not due to having multitudes of domesticated livestock/poultry running around but nobody knows how to kill and cook them.

I'm not sure how to make this clearer. If a wizard can turn a teapot into a live chicken, couldn't he just kill and eat the chicken? If so, why couldn't he save a step and turn the teapot into a cooked chicken? The distinction just seems arbitrary, that's all.

caleramaen posted:

I don't think it's difficult to see why gay people wouldn't want straight people to find out about them. Remember how we were talking about how easy it would be for straights to kill humans? All it would take is a few anti-gay demagogues and the gay hunts would begin!

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Gay people can't kill me with two words or control my mind with one. Also there are countries where they are thinking of making homosexuality a death penalty offense. Also if the wizards in Britain came out and said "Hey we're wizards" they might be fine. But now that the entire world knows wizards exist what would happen to the ones in Saudi Arabia or Iran where they routinely accuse people of witchcraft? And in America we'd have fundies bombing suspected witches like they do abortion clinics screaming "Suffer not a witch to live!" I mean if magic were real it would instantly validate(in their minds) their batshit insane beliefs that all magic is Satanic. They would consider it their duty to kill them.

sweet geek swag fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Aug 24, 2010

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Pththya-lyi posted:

I'm not sure how to make this clearer. If a wizard can turn a teapot into a live chicken, couldn't he just kill and eat the chicken? If so, why couldn't he save a step and turn the teapot into a cooked chicken? The distinction just seems arbitrary, that's all.

I dunno. Maybe the chicken tastes like copper if you try to eat it? :iiam:

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Pththya-lyi posted:

She looked up at me, an expression of mild surprise on her face, and spoke in a low brogue that I couldn't understand. (Later, Dad would tell me that she said "That's the nicest thing anyone could say to me.")

Dad came up behind me, a self-satisfied grin on his face. "Well, I'm impressed by how fast you're signing these books."

I was mortified.

Man, she didn't even say anything to me when I got to go up and meet her at a book signing, but that's probably because I just handed my books to her like a zombie and let her do her thing.

Automatic Jack
Aug 6, 2010
If there's one thing GoF taught me, it's that the awesomeness of a good 'ol fashioned anime-style tournament of death is a perfectly acceptable substitution for actual plot. Not that there wasn't a lot of other story stuff going on in that book, but the whole "welp, Harry's name is in the Gobbie, I guess there's nothing we can do except watch him fight a badass dragon" aspect was just irresistible to me.

As for all the world-building inconsistencies: Screw the rules, I have goddamned Latin puns.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Pththya-lyi posted:

I was mortified.

I don't think she was comfortable with fame at that point, if she is now.

Also your dad is pretty awesome.

Also you're making me feel old.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Obligatory Toast posted:

Wow, I don't even know you and I hate you.

Thanks for your input I'll keep that in mind. I can almost understand it though cause I'm not particularly proud of my tendency to ship, but it kind of goes hand in hand with reading fanfiction so...

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful
Thanks, everyone, for all the recommendations!

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Mark is now 5 chapters in to Order of the Phoenix and has had a lot to say already, especially about Harry's anger issues. He's updating with 2 chapter reviews a day at the moment. It's going to be so fun watching him discover Umbridge, and all the other stuff that goes on in the book :allears:

Myself, I'm going to start in on Half-Blood Prince as soon as I finish the other two books I'm reading at the moment.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Hedrigall posted:

Mark is now 5 chapters in to Order of the Phoenix and has had a lot to say already, especially about Harry's anger issues. He's updating with 2 chapter reviews a day at the moment. It's going to be so fun watching him discover Umbridge, and all the other stuff that goes on in the book :allears:

Myself, I'm going to start in on Half-Blood Prince as soon as I finish the other two books I'm reading at the moment.

Dude needs to make a significantly less lovely site. It's terrible to navigate.

It is pretty funny to read, though.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Casao posted:

Dude needs to make a significantly less lovely site. It's terrible to navigate.

It is pretty funny to read, though.

Yeah the fact that there is no navigation to earlier pages except going one page at a time is annoying. I should not have to click older ten ten times. Still I have finished all that stuff so hopefully I won't have to read it again.

It's refreshing to see someone who doesn't know ho it ends though. He's managed to make some spot on predictions. But frankly, there is no way he'll predict the stuff about Dumbledore in TDH. He might figure out that Snape was in love with Lily Potter though. There were hints of that as early as OOTP. Or maybe it was just me.

Bagpuss
Mar 23, 2001

A little bit of solidarity goes a long way.
I've been loving reading his reviews apart from the terrible site design. It's almost like reading them for the first time again. Also I just realised that when Petunia says "I heard--that awful boy--telling her about them--years ago," about dementors she's talking about Snape, not James.

Edit: In the time it took me write that he's put the next chapter up!

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Bagpuss posted:

I've been loving reading his reviews apart from the terrible site design. It's almost like reading them for the first time again. Also I just realised that when Petunia says "I heard--that awful boy--telling her about them--years ago," about dementors she's talking about Snape, not James.

Edit: In the time it took me write that he's put the next chapter up!

:aaaaa:

drat, I never put two and two together. That's awesome. Also, yea, that's what I love about the Mark Reads thing, it really is like reading the series again for the first time. It's hilarious, insightful, and nostalgic all at the same time.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Ben Davis posted:

Can anyone recommend any worthwhile fanfics? Someone recommended A Year Like None Other in the last A/T thread, but I've finished it and I need my Harry Potter fix :(

I'd like to plug Magical Relations.

It's basically a rewrite of the series following the premise that Dudley turns out to be a wizard as well, and is mostly about he and Harry's experiences at Hogwarts. I've only read up to what would be halfway through the second book in the story, but I think it's definitely worth a read.

Brinstar Brew
Aug 8, 2007

Who's the guy in the Victorian diving apparatus?

Bagpuss posted:

Another one I noticed recently, in Goblet of Fire, was Dumbledore telling a funny story about finding a room full of chamber pots while he was bursting for a piss, and how he could never find it again. Was that the room of requirement?

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Brinstar Brew posted:

Another one I noticed recently, in Goblet of Fire, was Dumbledore telling a funny story about finding a room full of chamber pots while he was bursting for a piss, and how he could never find it again. Was that the room of requirement?
It's brought up again as an example of what the Room of Requirement could change into in book 5, I think - so, yes.

StealthStealth
Aug 28, 2007

dogs eatin' cake
I've just reread the whole series thanks to Mark (was trying to read with him, got all caught up mid-PoA and barged on ahead), and it's been fantastically fun rereading them all. I love this world and all the people and how much fun it is, and reliving the frantic theorizing between books.

Favorite Harry Potter memory: Me, giant nerd, collapsing outside B&N at about 12:30 AM the night of the seventh book, half-laughing and half-crying after reading the dedication.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

StealthStealth posted:

I've just reread the whole series thanks to Mark (was trying to read with him, got all caught up mid-PoA and barged on ahead), and it's been fantastically fun rereading them all. I love this world and all the people and how much fun it is, and reliving the frantic theorizing between books.

Favorite Harry Potter memory: Me, giant nerd, collapsing outside B&N at about 12:30 AM the night of the seventh book, half-laughing and half-crying after reading the dedication.

That's still the only book I've ever camped out for.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Soy Sauce Beast posted:

That's still the only book I've ever camped out for.

My sister camped out for the last book, with a home made pro-Snape shirt. I will never let her live that down.

then I read it in like 6 hours after she and my mom finished it in under a day

And then I bought the special edition.

LouDog004
Aug 29, 2009

Glitter Glisten Gloss Floss

Pick posted:

I hope you realize how stupid what you wrote just was.

If you can't change the past, then it wouldn't matter if you ran into past versions of yourself. You also wouldn't be able to breathe, because then you'd change where the air was in the past, not to mention localized oxygen concentrations. If you didn't change the past, you couldn't walk on a carpet, because you'd cause wear as a byproduct of the friction necessary to move. Or maybe you just can't change "big" outcomes. So I hope that butterfly's wingbeat you f-ed up wasn't going to cause a storm in Honolulu, I suppose. Besides, what characterizes a "major" change in the timeflow? JKR sure as hell doesn't know!

I'm not going to say they're bad books, but crap like that is author fiat of the worst kind.

I just want to point out that I think it's cool Rowling went with the 12 Monkeys style of time travel. You can't change the past. On the night that Black and Buckbeak are freed, there are two Harrys and Hermiones running around, and it was and will only ever be that way. There is only one version of events transpiring on that night, never altered by the use of the time turner.

elf pr0n
Oct 13, 2002

They fucking better have lemon cakes.
I got the 7th edition signed by JK Rowling :allears:

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

IRQ posted:

I don't think she was comfortable with fame at that point, if she is now.

Also your dad is pretty awesome.

Also you're making me feel old.

Yeah, he is awesome, but when you're a 13-year-old idiot it's hard to recognize that. Plus, he thought that Harry Potter was really dumb at the time - my book report summary of Sorcerer's Stone sure made it sound that way. But I knew that I had to remedy this, so shortly after the signing, I started reading the books to him at my bedtime. Soon he became a fan, too. I remember one time when my mom came in to yell at him for keeping me up past my bedtime and he was all "but this part is so exciting!" :rolleyes: I love him so much, he is a giant nerd like me.

Also I feel old too, thinking about all this.

Harashaw
Aug 8, 2010
It seems like no matter who you are or where you're from loving the Harry Potter books is some kind of universal constant.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

LouDog004 posted:

I just want to point out that I think it's cool Rowling went with the 12 Monkeys style of time travel. You can't change the past. On the night that Black and Buckbeak are freed, there are two Harrys and Hermiones running around, and it was and will only ever be that way. There is only one version of events transpiring on that night, never altered by the use of the time turner.

See, I hate that. It basically means free will can't exist, because if that wasn't the case, then Harry could randomly decide to travel back to that time once again and change everything. But in this system of time travel, since it didn't already happen, it never has or never will.

She should have never gotten in to time travel in the first place.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

To me Harry Potter is so wildly successful because it taps into that base need that everyone wants to feel special - that they could be singled out from their humdrum life to be taken away to a secret underground society of magic and be known as one of the most important figures in their history.

It's great textbook escapism.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Suprfli6 posted:

See, I hate that. It basically means free will can't exist, because if that wasn't the case, then Harry could randomly decide to travel back to that time once again and change everything. But in this system of time travel, since it didn't already happen, it never has or never will.

Does it keep you awake at night?

I'm going on a week-long field trip to the middle of the Australian desert next week, and I'm thinking of taking along Half-Blood Prince and getting started on it because I want to keep up with Mark :ohdear:

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Suprfli6 posted:

Well, writing wise, the whole time travel issue probably just seemed like one of those cool things you could do with magic she just threw in. The world hardly runs on 'scientific' magic after all, magic just is.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Hedrigall posted:

Does it keep you awake at night?

I'm going on a week-long field trip to the middle of the Australian desert next week, and I'm thinking of taking along Half-Blood Prince and getting started on it because I want to keep up with Mark :ohdear:

Thinking that J K Rowling controls the destiny of all existence in lieu of free will and choice does in fact keep me awake at night.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Suprfli6 posted:

Thinking that J K Rowling controls the destiny of all existence in lieu of free will and choice does in fact keep me awake at night.

it explains so much

I'm re-reading Harry Potter myself, thanks to this very thread. I'm up to GoF right now, it's just about as good as I remember it.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Suprfli6 posted:

I knew at some point there would be something about loving timetravel in these books when I first started them at the lovingly jaded age of 11. Thank God she went and fixed all of that by having the kids accidentally destroy all the time-turners during their romp at the Ministry in OoTP.

RasputinsGhost
Mar 22, 2005
Russia's Greatest Spectral Love Machine
Thanks for the rec of The Magicians, I absolutely love it, as a New Yorker and as a huge nerd.

Harashaw
Aug 8, 2010

Suprfli6 posted:

But why would she allow Twilight to happen?

TypohoidTimmy
Sep 25, 2003
My HP story.

I had not given a thought to the books. I had not read the first 2 when the 3rd came out which is kind of weird for me since I love reading and usually pick up anything getting press or recommendations and boy was this getting a gently caress ton by the 3rd. I dunno, it just never dawned on me to get into them since I had heard they were 'kids books'

Anyway, I was on a business trip to Japan and my sister surprised me with the first 2 in softcover and her hardback of the 3rd. I was only gonna be gone for a week so I was like "WTF I can't read all these."

She smiles and said 'Trust me'

So I get over and do business for 3 solid days....drink with the sarimen, meet with the presidents, hit a few Soaplands, and generally have a good (if tiring) time.

Business done and I got about 3 and a half days. I am in Osaka in a little cramped hotel....nice but cramped especially for a guy whose 6'3. I am still backwards on hours for the most part and its practically the middle of winter so its rainy/snowy/loving cold.

Now this is not my first time in Japan so I ain't gonna do the touristy poo poo. TV...interesting but TV's and me are like sleeping pills. Finally, I pull out the books and, in complete disinterest, open the first book.

I am 9 years old again. I am a child of wonder and laughing, rooting, enthralled. The cold rain hits the window and I am a large kid in a strange land and I am in absolute heaven. I order take out and eat and read. I get prickles on my arms and I am CHEERING on Harry. The heater keeps me toasty since its like a foot from my bed as ice cakes the windows.

I finish the book, open the window and breath in frosty air and practically scream as the cold hits my skin. Invigorated, I immediately grab the next.

I didn't leave my room the rest of the time. I finished the third and not knowing where to turn started again on the first. I read them each twice and lose half my regular sleep. I get on the plane and sleep all the way home save for an hour in.

To me, the HP books are time portals to being young and innocent. The way I discovered them was as magical as the books themselves and I count myself lucky I had the time and opportunity to discover them like I did.

I gave my sister a big hug when I got back.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Harashaw posted:

But why would she allow Twilight to happen?

To re-enforce the lesson of "what is right and what is easy".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

TypohoidTimmy posted:

:words:
Right around when the third book came out, my friend loaned me the first one to read. I was in the same boat as you, I thought they were kiddy books (even though I was only about 11/12 at the time), and I was completely disinterested. But I took it anyway and figured I'd just say I had read it and didn't much like it. My dad noticed it laying around my house, picked it up and read it, and was enthralled. He told me "at least read the first chapter, and if you're not into it, then you can stop." So I did. And holy crap did I get sucked into those books.

• Locked thread