Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

Hedrigall posted:

If you're talking about the first scene with The Beast, I agree. At that point I went from "This is a wacky and mildly amusing Harry Potter cash in" to "HOLY gently caress, I'M SCARED, HOLD ME ;_;"

Thirding/fourthing/whatevering "The Magicians". My absolute favorite part is at the very end, when Quinten asks Jane(?) "If you've got a time machine, why don't you go back and rig things so there's a happy ending" and she says something like "I've spent a hundred lifetimes going back and trying to rig things to defeat The Beast. Most of the time your merry little band gets slaughtered halfway out the starting gate. This is the first time I've gotten anything close to a 'happy ending'. Sorry your girlfriend's dead, but this is what you're going to have to live with" and smashes the time machine.

As for Harry Potter, my jaw dropped when Hedwig died in the first ~30 pages. It's very much a "poo poo just got real" moment.

One thing I noticed specifically about how Deathly Hallows is set up, in many ways it's a complete inversion of all the other books in the series. In the first book, he hates the Dursleys, being bullied by Dudley, and living on Privet Drive. Hogwarts is a wonderful magical place where he can be himself, be safe, and actually have fun. By the time the seventh book rolls around, he's realized that Privet Drive is actually the safest place he can possibly be. Going to Hogwarts is completely and utterly out of the question, and the wizarding world is unsafe and cannot be trusted.

Further, the constant movement, fleeing, and sense of dread and foreboding in large portions of DH felt to me like a large-scale, book-wide callback to the final acts of all the previous books, where the heroes venture into uncharted territory: Going into the hiding place of the Philosopher's Stone, the Chamber of Secrets, messing with the time turner to go back in time, the final stage of the Triwizard Cup, the Department of Mysteries, and the watery cave in HBP. A pretty ingenious way to structure DH, as almost all of the familiar conventions of the earlier books are discarded or reversed upon themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread