Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

Harashaw posted:

"Aeroplanes? Those things that can transport hundreds of people huge distances without the need to time a series of portkey jumps, individual flights and apparitions down to the wire? Useless.

And yet they ride a train to Hogwarts. Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but the Hogwarts Express doesn't seem very enchanted to me. Just a regular Muggle locomotive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

Shyrka posted:

As for the students, yeah, it kinda bugged me how scrub-like Harry and co were when the previous generation were learning forbidden magic (animagi), creating potent magical artifacts (marauder's map), and inventing creative and powerful new spells (Snape's stuff from his potions book). If one of the Marauders had been the Chosen One then Voldie would've eaten it before they were finished with their fourth year.

I think with Snape, he was pretty isolated anyway so he spent his time in the Dark Arts. That's probably all he did when he went home during the holidays, to get away from his unhappy home life.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

Maybe someone can explain it to me, but I've never understood why Harry got in trouble for Dobby dropping the cake / using magic at the Dursley's in Chamber of Secret. Why couldn't the Ministry of Magic tell that it was a house-elf that did it, and not Harry?

And yet there was no mention of anything when he made the glass disappear at the snake enclosure in Sorcerer's Stone, and that was in public. Maybe it doesn't count if a child is ignorant of the wizarding world.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

Blodskur posted:

Pottermore is open for everyone now.

As soon as I saw that announcement through MuggleNet on Facebook, I was there. I do have some worries as others have complained about how boring it is after a day or two of exploring.

SkullStar19783 for me! I got to choose from quite a few good names, I was surprised. But this sounded the most badass.

Edited to Add: A couple of more thoughts about Harry Potter. One: What is the implication of wizarding birth control? You have a big school like that with both genders basically living together, you're going to have teenage sex. Two: Who are we kidding? Had Snape lived, he would have hated both of Harry's sons. And before you say, "Well, his youngest son has the middle name Severus"--he wouldn't have been called that if Snape hadn't died. I doubt Snape would have shared his memories with Harry had he lived. I mean, you can tell that the eldest son is a little poo poo already and he's even named James Potter II.

bean_shadow fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Apr 14, 2012

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

My wand is Elder with unicorn core, ten and three quarters inches, unyielding.

House is Ravenclaw (I figured I'd be in Hufflepuff). Pet is a brown / grey tabby cat. I'm sure most people chose owls. Anybody choose a toad?

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

So apparently now we can go to the library and read selected texts in books. Where is the library? Is it one of those things that you get to through the different chapters?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

Are we allowed to talk about JK Rowling's newest book, Casual Vacancy? Or is it in another thread?

• Locked thread