Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum
I just finished reading The Magicians on the strength of the recommendations in this thread, and there is one particular scene (in the 8th chapter of book I) that absolutely scared the gently caress out of me.

Jesus Christ. Harry Potter this is not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Hedrigall posted:

If you're talking about the first scene with The Beast, I agree. At that point I went from "This is a wacky and mildly amusing Harry Potter cash in" to "HOLY gently caress, I'M SCARED, HOLD ME ;_;"

Yep, that's the one. Also I wasn't expecting him to return, so when he did much later in the story it creeped me the gently caress out all over again.

I'm trying to imagine Rowling putting a scene like that into Harry Potter and giving a good proportion of the world's children nightmares for weeks.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum
I never really understood the whining about the epilogue. Wasn't it pretty much "Happy Ever After"? What was wrong with it?

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

FrensaGeran posted:

I'm loving that they gave prefects the ability to give detentions. Is that an English Boarding School thing because the idea of a 15 year old doling out detentions responsibly just sounds retarded.

Hell, up until 1960 or so prefects at Eton could actually cane other boys (Google "pop-tanning" for the gory details.) Such things were a staple of Boy's School Stories pre-WWII, so I'm sure the practice was widespread at one time.

I wouldn't be terribly surprised if the ability of prefects to hand out some form of punishment doesn't hang on somewhere.

Hobnob fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Sep 5, 2010

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Dimentia posted:

Don't complain. The UK/Canadian editions have terrible covers, especially Philosopher's Stone. The only good one was Order of the Phoenix and maybe Goblet of Fire. We also don't get any chapter illustrations.

I was always rather fond of this one:

It's the "adult" UK cover of Philosopher's Stone. It's no great shakes as a cover, but it's the first HP book I bought, pretty much on a whim after seeing an article in the Times about how Bloomsbury were republishing a children's book with an "adult" cover after it was proving to be so popular.

• Locked thread