Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

BackInTheUSSR posted:

http://www.sptimes.com/News/webspecials/abaseballstory/

Back about 11 years ago the St. Pete Times did this really great piece following Josh Hamilton through the low Minor Leagues. For whatever reason it stuck with me all these years. It's a really good look into how lovely the Minors are and there are cameo appearances by Carl Crawford and non-prospects like Seth McClung.

sidenote, when I applied for an internship about a year ago, I wrote about this article getting me interested in the field, and one of the writers on staff of the publication I was applying to was actually a designer at the St. Pete Times when this was written. brownie points!

Good read, and this image is just priceless:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.

leokitty posted:

This is a really wonderful profile piece about a kid from South Africa who plays baseball you should all read.

More broadly, it's about the culture shock of being the first player from his city, country and CONTINENT to go to the big leagues, how he adjusted through the hardest moments and how he never lost his spirit or doubted himself, even at his most home-sick moments.

Hub Fans Bid Kid Adieu is another amazing piece, I think it's one reason why baseball draws so much attention from quality writers.

For more good baseball stuff (non-journalism), check out Pafko at the Wall by Don Delillo.

Medical Sword
May 23, 2005

Goghing, Goghing, gone

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Gift is like the black Reggie Willits.

This is really funny to me because I assumed Reggie Willits was black for the longest time before I actually saw him.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

A drat FOG posted:

This is really funny to me because I assumed Reggie Willits was black for the longest time before I actually saw him.

Me too, I thought for literally more than two years that Willits was black.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The broken bones posted:

Hub Fans Bid Kid Adieu is another amazing piece, I think it's one reason why baseball draws so much attention from quality writers.

There are so many good lines in that piece but my absolute favorite is

quote:

In 1946, Williams returned from three years as a Marine pilot to the second of his baseball avatars, that of Achilles, the hero of incomparable prowess and beauty who nevertheless was to be found sulking in his tent while the Trojans (mostly Yankees) fought through to the ships.

I love the humor of (mostly Yankees) juxtaposed with the classical analogy. It makes me smile every time.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
I'm only just now finding out that Reggie Willits isn't black

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.
it's the FedEx arrow of baseball

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

http://sportsargumentwiki.com/index.php?title=Category:White_athletes_whose_names_don%27t_sound_white

Update with more similar guys (Willits is already on there and I think was the first one on there)

nnnAdam
Jul 8, 2007

Strength in Numbers

BackInTheUSSR posted:

http://www.sptimes.com/News/webspecials/abaseballstory/

Back about 11 years ago the St. Pete Times did this really great piece following Josh Hamilton through the low Minor Leagues. For whatever reason it stuck with me all these years. It's a really good look into how lovely the Minors are and there are cameo appearances by Carl Crawford and non-prospects like Seth McClung.

sidenote, when I applied for an internship about a year ago, I wrote about this article getting me interested in the field, and one of the writers on staff of the publication I was applying to was actually a designer at the St. Pete Times when this was written. brownie points!

:stare:

"He pulled on his black leather gloves like a man about to commit murder"

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

There are so many good lines in that piece but my absolute favorite is

I love the humor of (mostly Yankees) juxtaposed with the classical analogy. It makes me smile every time.

My favorite part:

quote:

The affair between Boston and Ted Williams has been no mere summer romance; it has been a marriage, composed of spats, mutual disappointments, and, toward the end, a mellowing hoard of shared memories.

Even if you don't like Updike's style, it's hard to ignore how spot-on that quote is.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

Criminal Minded posted:

I'm only just now finding out that Reggie Willits isn't black

You'll forget and be surprised when someone brings it up again later.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
For the longest time I thought Jimmy Wynn was white, too.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Criminal Minded posted:

For the longest time I thought Jimmy Wynn was white, too.

Jimmy Wynn's black?

edit: well I'll be. He sure is!

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.
I thought Dick Allen was white for a long time too

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

The broken bones posted:

I take it that was before you found out about how he was treated by the Phillies org and fans?

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Joe Thurston was that way for me. I read about him in spring training 2009 and was like "Hrm...a top prospect in the BOSTON organization, plays a LOT OF POSITIONS with SPEED and HUSTLE but never really cracked the bigs?

SPRINTS TO FIRST BASE ON A WALK?

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

The broken bones posted:

Alright, now that's hilarious to me.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

FairGame posted:

Joe Thurston was that way for me. I read about him in spring training 2009 and was like "Hrm...a top prospect in the BOSTON organization, plays a LOT OF POSITIONS with SPEED and HUSTLE but never really cracked the bigs?

SPRINTS TO FIRST BASE ON A WALK?

And jogs back to the dugout after making another out on the basepaths.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

DNS posted:

why does Gareth Thomas keep calling him 'butt'? is that a welsh thing? It's super distracting

:eng101: Reading is fun

quote:

[Jemma] was so kind, so nurturing and organized, a caretaker, just like his mom, who'd allow Alfie to go on being the eternal child, the man who couldn't send an e-mail or coax cash from the hole in the bank wall, the one addressing everyone as butt — short for butty, the old Welsh miners' word for workmates — because he couldn't remember anyone's name...

Why yes, the Welsh language is completely insane and a massive troll on the rest of the world, thank you for noticing.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

A lot of people expect Bill Simmons to be black, and entertaining. Neither are true.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Gift is like the black Reggie Willits. I hope he makes the show more than anyone not named Disco Hayes.

I just checked in on him and he is playing for State College this year! He seems to be doing pretty well given his level of experience: http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=ngoepe001gif

I missed him when State College was in town to play Brooklyn :(

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

drat that dude has got a nice isoD.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Here is a column where the author isn't even trying and just mailed in a tired "lol; the Cubs" trope.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/columns/bill-mcclellan/article_17d8f0cc-cbd7-5898-b559-220358def63d.html

I should have mentioned Morgan Ensberg (former MLB 3b, most notably for the Houston Astros in the early to mid 2000s) has a blog that's actually really good and insightful.

http://morganensberg.wordpress.com/

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!

bananasinpajamas posted:

A lot of people expect Bill Simmons to be black, and entertaining. Neither are true.

I doubt that, since his picture is located right above that week's article.

I agree about it not being entertaining though, his last two articles on the "boring" Red Sox and changing fantasy football were terrible. Self-reverential (even for Simmons) and cliche crap. I don't a fan of a real bullshit franchise like the Royals or Indians will shed any tears for a team that's 15 games over .500 because they're "boring."

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
From "Hub Fans"

quote:

For a stretch, he was hitting a home run every second game that he played. He passed Lou Gehrig's lifetime total, then the number 500, then Mel Ott's total, and finished with 521, thirteen behind Jimmy Foxx, who alone stands between Williams and Babe Ruth's unapproachable 714

heh

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

bananasinpajamas posted:

I bet Bill Simmons is really, really entertaining if you are a Boston sports fan.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Bigass Moth posted:

I bet Bill Simmons is really, really entertaining if you are a Boston sports fan.

bzzt wrong. Unless you mean entertaining in a Dan Shaughnessey way, in which case, yes.

Every once in a while he will write something that reminds you that one time he was pretty good and that he's a smart dude who just mails it in because he's a lazy jagoff. Roughly twice a year.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Simmons has his moments. I liked that column he did about opening his eyes to sabermetrics through its usefulness in fantasy baseball.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i like Bill Simmons because i think his existence is a massive troll to Rick Reilly

(i hate Rick Reilly)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Captain Charisma posted:

Simmons has his moments. I liked that column he did about opening his eyes to sabermetrics through its usefulness in fantasy baseball.

That's one of the things I was referring to where you can see the talent underneath the layers of laziness and stupidity.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

That's one of the things I was referring to where you can see the talent underneath the layers of laziness and stupidity.

I will always remember when Bill said he had given up on the Bruins, but then 2 years later when they were good he was writing about them consistently. Also the Celtics. Currently, the Red Sox.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

Bigass Moth posted:

I will always remember when Bill said he had given up on the Bruins, but then 2 years later when they were good he was writing about them consistently. Also the Celtics. Currently, the Red Sox.

JD Drew sucks because he's just so boring :qq:

nah
Mar 16, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

bzzt wrong. Unless you mean entertaining in a Dan Shaughnessey way, in which case, yes.

Every once in a while he will write something that reminds you that one time he was pretty good and that he's a smart dude who just mails it in because he's a lazy jagoff. Roughly twice a year.

This post reminds me of an obscure scene from Entourage

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
Reminder that Rick Reilly used to be an insightful journalist before he got fat off his ESPN paycheck.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Bigass Moth posted:

It's more like he gave up writing about the Bruins for about 7 or 8 years. He still doesn't care about hockey though.

I like Bill Simmons. He gets good guests on his podcast. It's easy enough to ignore the stuff I don't like of his.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

Reminder that Rick Reilly used to be an insightful journalist before he got fat off his ESPN paycheck.

That Citadel article is really outstanding.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Captain Charisma posted:

The BS Report is always good, especially when Chuck Klosterman is a guest

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

Reilly was relying on his shtick and hamminess way before he moved to ESPN.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
yeah, the last few years he had with SI were pretty much uniformly terrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
He never wrote anything besides "look what I got to do because I'm a famous writer", "isn't Barry Bonds/Michael Vick/Villain of the Week a real jerk?", and "let's all feel (happy about/sorry for) this (small-town athlete/disabled person/little kid) who (did something cute/is getting screwed by people in charge)".

Hell, if he was really feeling it, he could do all three at once.