Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
WHat are you going to do, stab me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
T-Shirts are the new blogs

https://twitter.com/JamieMottram/status/912390291650486272

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Pivot to cotton

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I liked this: http://www.esquire.com/sports/a12461360/nba-activism/

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

hey, it's working for Barstool

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Troy Queef posted:

hey, it's working for Barstool

Barstool t-shirts is also an amazing system for identifying and tracking assholes.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

quote:

Nobody involved with the NBA has been as outspoken as Popovich. It is instructive to remember that he has a military background: He was team captain and leading scorer at the Air Force Academy, and he later coached there. Perhaps because of that, his team’s locker room sometimes feels like a graduate seminar in modern American history. Popovich has arranged events for the Spurs with Cornel West, the activist and Harvard professor, as well as Barry Scheck, one of O. J.’s lawyers and the cofounder of the Innocence Project. One day, he assembled his players to screen an Emmett Till documentary. “Tears are coming down,” he recalls. “And I say, ‘Boys, you play basketball. You know how important basketball is? Zippo. It’s your job. You make money. Put it in the bank. Take care of your families. But there’s a frickin’ world out there, and you’ve got to understand where we live.’ ”

The Spurs have employed as many as nine players at a time who were born outside the United States. Sometimes Popovich asks them to share their experiences. “You talk to Tony Parker about what’s happening on the outskirts of Paris, where the Muslim population feels disenfranchised,” he says about his French point guard. From Manu Ginobili, he says, “we hear about what happened in Argentina when thousands of people went missing. We’ve always done it. We’ve just done it in-house.”

Until Trump. As the presidential campaign, in all its ignobility, was coming to an end, Popovich realized that his animus could no longer be contained. “When I see the bloc of people who voted for him,” he says, “the more that some of us stand up and say things, the more that some of them will maybe open their eyes and understand who this individual is, and what principles and standards they’ve thrown down the toilet to follow him blindly.” Popovich says he sifts through his mail personally, and if a letter includes even a hint of substance, anything more than unadulterated vitriol, he’ll write back and state his case. “You can say things like, ‘Did it bother you when he made fun of the handicapped guy?’ ” he says.

Pop is good people :unsmith:

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
How is Pop so awesome and Coach K, who went to West Point, such a dickhead?

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
In another shining example that Hot Takes are not just an American problem but an international one, former England international Stan Collymore says all political protests and symbols in sports should be banned

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

In another shining example that Hot Takes are not just an American problem but an international one, former England international Stan Collymore says all political protests and symbols in sports should be banned

I don't disagree, so long as he takes it to the logical conclusion and removes all political imagery.

Don't play the anthem, don't have the forced military interlude, remove all ceremony and bullshit from sports. Just have it as a performance.

Like I go to movies and plays and they don't play the anthem before it.

There is literally no good reason to play the anthem before a sporting event.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
We don't do it here except before cup finals and international matches, and even in a five day cricket match the anthem is played at the start of the game, not at the start of every day's play

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

ElwoodCuse posted:

How is Pop so awesome and Coach K, who went to West Point, such a dickhead?

One of them played for Bobby Knight and the other is Pop, so...

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Dexo posted:

There is literally no good reason to play the anthem before a sporting event.

It started out that way, but you can't put a lid on it 100 years into the practice.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

General Dog posted:

It started out that way, but you can't put a lid on it 100 years into the practice.

You mean like the Confederate monuments that were taken down?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
https://twitter.com/natalieweiner/status/912650722239541249

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
gently caress that

Also Kaeps not there because he wasn't doing that watered down and weakass loving stand arm and arm thing

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Not on an NFL roster, that's where!

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

At least they found a picture of Goodell looking like he'd rather be anywhere but where he is.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
That cover is loving unbelievable for so many reasons, how do you miss the point by that much?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Inspector_666 posted:

That cover is loving unbelievable for so many reasons, how do you miss the point by that much?

I'm betting less than 10% of the people in the room on that design/decision meeting were black.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

SI seems to be leaning heavily on bad conceptual photoshops recently, I'm assuming because they fired their whole photo staff

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Inspector_666 posted:

Just this year, Albert Breer of Sports Illustrated got extremely defensive about that player claiming fans at Fenway are racist for you know, shouting the n-word at him.

Andy Benoit of Sports Illustrated has spent the last year claiming, against roughly... oh, anyone who's ever watched film that Kaepernick is complete garbage who doesn't belong on an NFL roster.

It's kind of a trend with those guys.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Dexo posted:

I don't disagree, so long as he takes it to the logical conclusion and removes all political imagery.

Don't play the anthem, don't have the forced military interlude, remove all ceremony and bullshit from sports. Just have it as a performance.

Like I go to movies and plays and they don't play the anthem before it.

I've actually been in countries where they do play it before movies et al. It becomes so common it's really robbed of meaning.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Dango Bango posted:

You mean like the Confederate monuments that were taken down?

Yeah you're right, we're really a place right now where those two things are comparable in mainstream thought. I'm sure these extremely popular business ventures are eager to publicly renounce the concept of patriotic displays as being too politically charged.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Sep 26, 2017

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Spurs columnist tweeted some of the responses he got due to Popovich's comments:

https://twitter.com/mikefinger/status/912706331236294656

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Someone definitely needs to grab SpookHoop.blogspot.com

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I am trying so hard not to laugh at "spookhoop" but I can't help myself.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

"defensive" Breer straight up called Adam Jones a liar

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

There is a zero percent chance that anyone currently working at Sports Illustrated thinks that it will be around for another 30 years so what you get is puffed up (mostly white dudes) coasting on the reputation of SI. And when that is true, you have little reason to try and be where the sports world is headed and every reason to be defensive about the sports world that was a decade ago.

Sports Photo Manipulated.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

AsInHowe posted:

Barstool t-shirts is also an amazing system for identifying and tracking assholes.

I own two Barstool shirts that I regret buying now, but still wear because they're still pretty good shirts.

It's me, I'm the problem.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 9 days!)

SpookHoop sounds like the dutch name for Basketball.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Peanut President posted:

SpookHoop sounds like the dutch name for Basketball.
No, that would be HonkHoop

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Pivot to Video is spreading like a loving virus
https://twitter.com/Ben_Landy/status/912792701329952768

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
maybe it'll help if we think of it simply as a form of delayed bankruptcy

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

Henchman of Santa posted:

He was a Grantland guy but opinions on him are mixed. I generally liked him but didn't read much longform of his. At least one poster in this thread can't stand him.

That would be me. Because of poo poo like this:

http://grantland.com/hollywood-prospectus/rae-sremmurd-sremmlife-crunk-2-0/

Literally one of the worst articles I've ever read about anything, ever.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

OTOH Rolling Stone has been dead for years and irrelevant for at least a decade so hey why not

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Who still pays for rolling stone? Waiting rooms and boomers who got the lifetime subscription?

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Matt Taibbi was good. Other than him idk

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

quote:

I am actually excited because I don't have to spend one sorry nickel on the Slurs

The Slurs? How does that even make sense?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strasburgs UCL
Jul 28, 2009

Hang in there little buddy
Since the pivot to video has become such a common topic around here:

Columbia Journalism Review posted:

A pivot to video is really a “pivot to declining pageviews,” as Digiday noted. The numbers are chilling: “According to data from comScore, the publishers that pivoted to video this summer have seen at least a 60 percent drop in their traffic in August compared to the same period from a year ago.”

The full article is here and also has some interesting stuff about how Facebook and Google dominate digital ad revenues.