Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

let me guess, they're gonna say it's a joke, lighten up, etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Vertical Lime posted:

let me guess, they're gonna say it's a joke, lighten up, etc

will colon, the guy who apparently came up with the name, has been telling people on twitter that theyre just dummies getting Triggered and missing out on the important message

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
It strikes me as the kind of thing that would be fine, if edgy if everyone was on board with it. But if contributors didn't know it was going out under that name until it did.....that's extremely hosed up.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Is this officially peak barstool? I kinda feel like it is.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

DJExile posted:

Is this officially peak barstool? I kinda feel like it is.

Not until Portnoy guests on the show and starts it with "I'm so glad to be here on - [TRANSMISSION LOST]

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
He’s fighting the good fight.

https://twitter.com/tyleriam/status/1278712794708422658?s=21

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Someone give a show to TylerIAm, LaJethro Jenkins and DragonflyJonez. I will watch the hell out of that show.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

sportsgenius86 posted:

Someone give a show to TylerIAm, LaJethro Jenkins and DragonflyJonez. I will watch the hell out of that show.

funny you should say that, DragonflyJonez did just get a show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcqcEkvm-3Y

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/ToLey88/status/1279436504599846913

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

that is such a forced smile on his face. I get the feeling the guy has a miserable rear end existence once he's off camera.

not that i feel bad for the guy, mind you

Carwash Cunt
Aug 21, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/UnDeadspin

Not sure if this was widely known here or not, but it is new to me. An aggregator of new work from the old deadspin staff.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

DJExile posted:

that is such a forced smile on his face. I get the feeling the guy has a miserable rear end existence once he's off camera.

not that i feel bad for the guy, mind you
Being a gross and dumb dude I do understand a lot of the ways dudes can be gross and dumb but I do not get looking at that guy and thinking he's cool, I would like to be like or interact with him.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

One of the replies to Ley said that Portnoy is basically the definition of "peaked in high school" and goddamn if that doesn't seem to fit him perfectly

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Being a gross and dumb dude I do understand a lot of the ways dudes can be gross and dumb but I do not get looking at that guy and thinking he's cool, I would like to be like or interact with him.

He says the things out loud that a depressingly large number of people wish they could.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Lockback posted:

He says the things out loud that a depressingly large number of people wish they could.

this is the key to his popularity

chuds and idiot bros vicariously living through a dude who embodies their racist id and suffers no ill consequences for being a vitriolic dumbshit, and in fact makes himself rich through it

it’s entourage for guys who squandered their privilege

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Declan MacManus posted:

it’s entourage for guys who squandered their privilege

except all of the drama relies on whether Presidente is gonna say the N word or not

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I think if Barstool was around when I was 19 and in college I might have been into it. That was when I also enjoyed College Humor, Tucker Max, and Maddox. I grew out of these things pretty quickly but I guess not everyone does

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

AndrewP posted:

I think if Barstool was around when I was 19 and in college I might have been into it. That was when I also enjoyed College Humor, Tucker Max, and Maddox. I grew out of these things pretty quickly but I guess not everyone does

While I don't want to excuse "It was the times, man" too much, it's also a lot easier to be into stuff like CollegeHumor when that type of contentwas all over, and quality alternatives were pretty scarce. Magary did a good job of covering this kind of change, where it's not that people shouldn't feel some kind of remorse, but it's also ok to say "I've changed and realized why that crap is wrong" because....society as a whole has gone through that change too.

I think being into CollegeHumor in like, 08 or something, is different than being a die hard, "ARE YOU TRIGGERED LIBS??"-type Stoolie in 2020 because in 2020 it involves actively shutting out the overwhelming cacophony of voices telling you that featured articles calling a woman reporter a slut is wrong, and actively seeking stuff like this out.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

AndrewP posted:

college humor is also in a wayyyy different place than it was 10 years ago, it’s pretty wild

e: not that it’ll last with the current state of their finances

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
My only real engagement with College Humor in the 2000s was their “Hardly Working” YouTube series, which wouldn’t be especially problematic even in 2020, at least based on my recollection of it. Was their actual site content pretty bro-dude oriented?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

General Dog posted:

My only real engagement with College Humor in the 2000s was their “Hardly Working” YouTube series, which wouldn’t be especially problematic even in 2020, at least based on my recollection of it. Was their actual site content pretty bro-dude oriented?

I think most of it was pretty reasonable by today's standard, but I recall them definitely having some stuff that I'd call pretty poor taste, though in fairness I may be thinking of some of the stuff that was adjacent to it.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I do remember one (non-HW) video called something like “The 7 Girlfriends You’ll Have in College” that seemed pretty retrograde even in ~2008.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
That weird listicle is actually still a thing on twitter.

Though it just makes the writer look pathetic

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

whitlock looks like hes going supernova himself

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

hosed up of them to invite will smith’s bloated corpse for an interview

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

:confuoot:

What

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Am I imagining Mariotti having a (former?) black partner? Maybe this is an instance where he has empathy.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Boy, I ain't heard a Mariotti take in a minute

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

:psyduck:

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Jay Mariotti is still employed by someone?!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

fartknocker posted:

Jay Mariotti is still employed by someone?!

There's no way he's doing anything but freelancing

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

I feel like my brain is melting what the gently caress

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I agree with Mariotti? 2020 keeps on giving.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Broke2woke

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Barrett Sports Media is apparently just some rando vanity site

quote:

Jason Barrett owns and operates Barrett Sports Media, a full service sports media consulting company which helps brands and individuals enjoy success in the audio space. He also serves as Chief Editor of the sports radio industry’s premier website https://barrettsportsmedia.com which features format related news, expert opinions, analysis, research, and information to benefit experienced and aspiring broadcasters. Jason is a 20 year sports radio veteran with a passion for content creation, discovering and developing talent, social media and podcasting strategies, and designing brands and leading them to the top of the ratings ladder.

Jay's beat seems to be a mix of social justice and regular baddish takes

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

morestuff posted:

Barrett Sports Media is apparently just some rando vanity site

Jay's beat seems to be a mix of social justice and regular baddish takes

Wow, why hasn't Deadspin hired him yet

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
https://twitter.com/MariottiSports/status/1280498584404754435?s=19

https://twitter.com/MariottiSports/status/1280142071303553024?s=19

??????????????????????

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

:colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

https://twitter.com/MarcJSpears/status/1280511596729638917?s=20

Eric Collins is pretty great. For all Jordan's faults as an owner, he's done a good job of putting POC in high-profile positions

Several are his children and relatives but still