Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Schremp Howard posted:

Rovell did manage to own Clay Travis at least

I refuse to believe Rovell came up with that on his own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
what the gently caress kind of a name is Clay Travis?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

A peak white one

Edit: topped only by Bodie

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
I hate that clay travis is a titans fan.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

General Dog posted:

At the end of the day they’re not really going to require much legal protection to say “Trump bad” or “Biden bad” or “Derek Jeter is a fat stupid bitch”. I doubt we’re going to see them actually breaking stories.

The new trend is right-wing dipshits suing publications for things that are legally protected. It's not about winning money, it's about making them fight an expensive legal battle. Just look at what Devin Nunes is doing.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

iwentdoodie posted:

A peak white one

tinstaach fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Aug 7, 2020

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Double posting because I am a Content Generator

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

iwentdoodie posted:

A peak white one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70eU840lc38

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Nah it used to be good. Now its every chuds kid under 7 or 8.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
I went to college with a Clayton Armisted III and he was the whitest dude I've ever met. Straight up plaid shorts and everything.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

MourningView posted:

It's definitely coming back, they have all been dropping hints about it on Twitter for weeks now. Just a matter of where. Wonder if Holly and Ryan's sbnation contracts are up soon?

Fullcast is back and just on the old RSS feed

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

here’s a link to the new fullcast: https://overcast.fm/+MkCeaP9UY

the audio quality is even worse than before

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Niwrad posted:

The new trend is right-wing dipshits suing publications for things that are legally protected. It's not about winning money, it's about making them fight an expensive legal battle. Just look at what Devin Nunes is doing.

even ignoring stuff like that, it would be absolutely insane for a group of that size to not have money allocated for insurance and attorneys

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
The Deadspin folks have talked about how much it would take to set up a new Deadspin before. I think it was Barry Petchesky said it was somewhere in the $10-15m range last November winter on Hang Up And Listen. That seems like a lot, but if you're figuring pay and benefits for a score of writers and editors, plus tech/support staff, plus office space, plus equipment, plus licenses (e.g. Getty images), and wanting to have a couple years funding so you don't have to worry about crashing after six months....

Otoh, now their costs might be less since they don't have to worry about renting office space, and everyone is using their home computers/devices... and as they're a worker owned business they have access to the books in a way they didn't before.

Speaking of that, I wonder how their corporate regs will be set out. There aren't a lot of employee owned businesses and most of them are fairly small. The only one of any appreciable size I can think of off the top of my head is Harpoon Brewery, which has about 300 employees.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
So does the Fullcast belong to the hosts now? Did Vox release whatever ownership they may have had?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

General Dog posted:

So does the Fullcast belong to the hosts now? Did Vox release whatever ownership they may have had?

I’m using Overcast and it gives the information as a group called Moon Crew LLC, publishing/hosted by Art19.com and “part of Learfield IMG College Network” per the web link.

In true Fullcast fashion it pulled the old album art from SBNation.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

harperdc posted:

I’m using Overcast and it gives the information as a group called Moon Crew LLC, publishing/hosted by Art19.com and “part of Learfield IMG College Network” per the web link.

Ah okay. I’m actually getting new album art, with the Gadsden Flag snake in a space suit on the Moon.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

harperdc posted:

Would you say they...

JUST TOOK THOSE OLD RECORDS OFF THE SHELF

Edit for content: "Moon Crew LLC" is, if I recall correctly, the name of the company the exiles made to write and divvy up the proceeds of the Sinful Seven book (which is delightful) so I think this is more technically an extension of that with Ryan and Holly able to tag on despite still being technically employed by Banner Society.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

harperdc posted:

i love how they decided to name their LLC either after the Michigan-Northwestern game from a few years back or the *cocks gun* MOON'S HAUNTED bit

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Troy Queef posted:

i love how they decided to name their LLC either after the Michigan-Northwestern game from a few years back or the *cocks gun* MOON'S HAUNTED bit

Based on the episode content it’s the latter.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
They have a fairly long standing obsession with the early space program and the moon I don't think it has anything to do with that game

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The same company that owns Deadspin also owns sites like Kotaku which is now having a bunch of video people fired, despite the company trying to push more video over text

https://twitter.com/thetomzone/status/1291836827071111168

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

General Dog posted:

Ah okay. I’m actually getting new album art, with the Gadsden Flag snake in a space suit on the Moon.

On the podcast episode listing page it had the old art but the individual episode has new art yes.

Also based on what Bomani Jones said on the interview with LeBatard on South Beach Sessions, I have a wild theory that Bomani and Spencer are working on something related to college football. Would also explain why Bo could hop to and write about the PAC-12 boycotting so quickly.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

habeasdorkus posted:

The Deadspin folks have talked about how much it would take to set up a new Deadspin before. I think it was Barry Petchesky said it was somewhere in the $10-15m range last November winter on Hang Up And Listen. That seems like a lot, but if you're figuring pay and benefits for a score of writers and editors, plus tech/support staff, plus office space, plus equipment, plus licenses (e.g. Getty images), and wanting to have a couple years funding so you don't have to worry about crashing after six months....

Otoh, now their costs might be less since they don't have to worry about renting office space, and everyone is using their home computers/devices... and as they're a worker owned business they have access to the books in a way they didn't before.

Speaking of that, I wonder how their corporate regs will be set out. There aren't a lot of employee owned businesses and most of them are fairly small. The only one of any appreciable size I can think of off the top of my head is Harpoon Brewery, which has about 300 employees.

that number sounds a whole lot more realistic, even without office overhead

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
According to an interview with Maitreyi Anantharaman, they need much less than a million subscribers, because they aren't trying to impress investors. That could mean a lot of things, though.

https://slate.com/culture/2020/07/defector-deadspin-interview.html

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

correct. The 10-15M number mentioned a few posts ago isn't meant to attract VC money, it's the realistic minimum needed to properly staff the business to support an editorial team of that size, build and maintain a functioning website, and pay everyone market value with benefits without cutting corners.

Obviously quick and dirty bar napkin math just to illustrate a point, but that's 150,000 basic tier subscribers just to hit the 10m mark, which is almost certainly not enough money to make the business work unless the masthead writers are cool pocketing less than 50k each without benefits, which I sincerely doubt. Even if they are, it's not going to be labor of love salaries for everyone else needed to make a business function. Getting and maintaining 150k subscribers is probably an extremely lofty goal.

There is a reason why subscription-only business models generally don't work in media. And even if they took on some ads to supplement it, the audience is now capped at however many subscribers they get vs the 17 million unique viewers the site had right before the resignations... and then they'd need to add a sales and ad ops team, but wouldn't be able to command nearly as much $ for that ad space.

ironically, they are going to run into every single problem outlined here

https://deadspin.com/lets-do-the-math-on-the-athletic-1836999585

THE MACHO MAN fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Aug 8, 2020

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
the sad thing is that the only real "sports" based subscription models that are working outside of the Athletic are some of the pro wrestling sites

But even then the 2 most successful ones started out as subscription newsletters from the 80s and 90s and they managed to transition their cult followings from print to digital distribution and podcasting

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
They could always charge a one-time subscription of :10bux: combined with occasional crowdfunding and let the commenters do most of the work.

I don't know what kind of creeps would do that, though.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I think they should charge more when they offer a month-to-month. Right now access is priced at $6 a month. This seems so cheap compared to magazine and newspaper subscriptions pre-internet, but subscription prices for everything are so low these days and also everyone thinks that because you're not getting a physical thing delivered to your house it's not worth as much.

Prices of everything have gone down while cost of living has gone up.

Also RIP Kotaku. Imagine doing a worse job taking over a company.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
What happened to Kotaku?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Lockback posted:

What happened to Kotaku?

Nothing really extremely dramatic, they had a bunch of their more notable writers leave earlier in the year. They hired up some new once, and just recently G/O media gutted their video producers across all the sites.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Aug 8, 2020

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Lockback posted:

What happened to Kotaku?

Laid off almost all of their video staff and I think a few more writers, set up a truly awful new site design.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/MikeFrancesa/status/1292217658788786176

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Dexo posted:

Nothing really extremely dramatic, they had a bunch of their more notable writers leave earlier in the year. They hired up some new once, and just recently G/O media gutted their video producers across all the sites.

she thinks kwame used to be her backup center

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

DeimosRising posted:

she thinks kwame used to be her backup center

what?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

that was supposed to be a response to your post in the other thread lol

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Timby posted:

Laid off almost all of their video staff and I think a few more writers, set up a truly awful new site design.

it’s cool how website design has only gotten worse since 2005

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

lol

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Declan MacManus posted:

it’s cool how website design has only gotten worse since 2005

Infinite scrolling to the heat death of the universe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
I went to Kotaku this afternoon and read their updated "Best games for PS4" article and it nearly melted down my iPhone and took my battery from 33% to 19% in 3 minutes before the page poo poo itself and tried to reload.