Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

MourningView posted:

My good friend Jason Whitlock, powerful man, a tremendous college football player, who, by the way, has been treated very unfairly by ESPN and Fox News, he said to me, Mr. President, you can say it. All these rappers say it, so I think you should too. And he's so right. So we're going to consider saying it very strongly.

jesus christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MourningView posted:

My good friend Jason Whitlock, powerful man, a tremendous college football player, who, by the way, has been treated very unfairly by ESPN and Fox News, he said to me, Mr. President, you can say it. All these rappers say it, so I think you should too. And he's so right. So we're going to consider saying it very strongly.

:trumppop:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

MourningView posted:

good lord

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Important update:

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1319099272391020545?s=20

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/andrewmarchand/status/1319089532336308228?s=21

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
for those of you who aren't familiar with Jason Whitlock's insanity:

https://deadspin.com/how-jason-whitlock-is-poisoning-espns-black-grantland-1698683962

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

FINE, jeez, I'll go back to foxsports.com

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

disney aggressively hemorrhaging money huh

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

And this is different from ESPN INsider how

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

And this is different from ESPN INsider how

I'd assume they'll both roll into ESPN+

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah I think insider rolled into +, or will soon if it hasn't already

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

They announced that last year I think? I know I got an email about it, but can't find it at the moment.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

DJExile posted:

Yeah I think insider rolled into +, or will soon if it hasn't already

It already did at least a year ago. I don't really understand what the difference here is, are they just putting more stuff behind the paywall, I guess?

It'd be nice if this lead to them fixing their extremely broken app.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

It sucks that a huge conglomerate like ESPN is one of the first to make the move but everybody moving behind a paywall was always sort of inevitable once the digital advertising market collapsed. It was probably a mistake to make most stuff free in the first place

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The way I read it, a lot more of their longform and in-depth stuff is going behind the paywall.

After a while the only stuff on the free side is likely going to be breaking news, scores, and quick game recaps.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Crazy Ted posted:

Minnesota sportswiting legend Sid Hartman died this afternoon at age 100.

He started his newspaper career at the age at 18 in 1938 and was still working the press boxes at sporting events as late as 2019, for a career that literally spanned eight decades of work.

His career in sports was so long that he was actually in the front office of the Minneapolis Lakers.

He could be an rear end if he disagreed with someone but he was absolutely tireless.

https://www.espn.com/blog/minnesota-vikings/post/_/id/18664/that-day-when-prince-met-sid-hartman

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1319679604643213319?s=21

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
https://mobile.twitter.com/minakimes/status/1321286901760970755

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/1321922364456660994

:vince:

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
If the WWE's involved its hard to imagine it being anything more than a hagiography in the way THe Last Dance was for Jordan.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Sounds like something Simmons would do.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Habs 2006: Cristobal Persuasion
Oh good, it’s been a few months since Vince congratulated himself for the attitude era. Looking forward to something like Bill claiming to have held Vince’s feet to the fire because he asked about Montreal, but not mentioning Mel Phillips because nobody at WWE even told him about it.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I'm assuming 99% of the "highest budget ever" will just be paying the documentary subject for rights to WWE footage

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

soggybagel posted:

If the WWE's involved its hard to imagine it being anything more than a hagiography in the way THe Last Dance was for Jordan.

I thought The Last Dance going soft on MJ was mostly just funny, but it's gonna be way harder to swallow a jump from "They didn't show how big of an rear end in a top hat that guy was" to "They covered up/undersold decades of legitimate criminal activity"

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

xbilkis posted:

I thought The Last Dance going soft on MJ was mostly just funny, but it's gonna be way harder to swallow a jump from "They didn't show how big of an rear end in a top hat that guy was" to "They covered up/undersold decades of legitimate criminal activity"

Yep. I sure don't see them asking about Snuka during this.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Drew Magary's profile of Al Michaels in Defector today is really great. It's very direct in its criticism but also very adoring, in a way that doesn't feel disharmonious. Drew comes across like such a goofy idiot on the podcast, including when he has a guest to interview, that it's legitimately bewildering to read something so thoughtful from him.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Drew Magary's profile of Al Michaels in Defector today is really great. It's very direct in its criticism but also very adoring, in a way that doesn't feel disharmonious. Drew comes across like such a goofy idiot on the podcast, including when he has a guest to interview, that it's legitimately bewildering to read something so thoughtful from him.

ngl it was pretty endearing to hear drew gush over bob mould... to bob mould (mostly because i also love husker du so i get it); i don’t consider him a Serious Journalist in the grantland rice mold but he’s a pretty good writer all told

same with spencer hall

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Cognac McCarthy posted:

His book about parenting was so well written and relatable to me. He is a super thoughtful guy even if it doesn’t come off that way in things like the podcast and Why Your Team Sucks.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Cognac McCarthy posted:

His profile of the Duck Dynasty guy was actually really fair and interesting. Who else could have gotten quotes like those?

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Apparently Bill Simmons has got the rights to executive produce (read: shoot the poo poo with) a Netflix documentary on Trump Fundraiser and wrestling weirdo Vince McMahon.

Ringer being anti-union makes more and more sense.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Speaking of sports (entertainment) journalism

https://twitter.com/davidbix/status/1321866315527786496?s=21

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

forums poster, too!

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/netw3rk/status/1322185147811160065

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
https://twitter.com/HaleyOSomething/status/1322255094688051200

Ringer feels like it's bleeding talent lately

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

That's what happens when you hire talented people and never give them promotions.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

howe_sam posted:

That's what happens when you hire talented people and never give them promotions.
Or raises, or pay them a living wage to start with.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

FMguru posted:

Or raises, or pay them a living wage to start with.

They're getting paid in the experience of getting to make propaganda documentaries about Vince McMahon

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

This one feels a long time coming, she hasn’t written an article or been on a podcast in months it seems. Hope she lands on her feet.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The Atlantic gave known plagiarist Ruth Shalit Barrett a chance at redemption and got burned by it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Ayup. I cannot believe they gave her a major piece, and of course she was going to make poo poo up because that's who she is.