Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

FMguru posted:

The weirdest thing about his basketball book was how much of it took place in other dimensions or alternate timelines. Huge chunks of it are chapters about what happens if teams draft differently, or make different trades, or close playoff series go the other way (spoiler: things turn out differently). For a book that he said he wrote because he really wanted to communicate how much he loved NBA basketball, the overall effect was to convince me that the NBA must really suck if the actual on-the-court history is so uninteresting that its self-proclaimed #1 fan spends most of his time writing fanfiction about parallel universe NBAs.

It's basically just a collection of column ideas each blown up to 50-200 pages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
https://twitter.com/Kofie/status/1382808193160650754

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

oh hell yes

also lol

https://twitter.com/MichaelAuberry/status/1382810323904790528

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/_Zeets/status/1384188407086161923

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
this is worse than that time bill simmons made the same joke on the draft broadcast that I'd made 2 seconds earlier in the live thread gently caress

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
The Lakers should join this super league. Knicks can come over to be our generals.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

matt yglesias is fundamentally indistinguishable from a bot that supports the seemingly benign whims of capital, yes

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

okay but now imagine how good the league would be if it had a billion teams.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i would solve this by simply merging every single league in europe from the amateur level up into a mega-pyramid system where conceivably you'd have to have low level teams in Ireland have to travel to Macedonia for Super Europe League Level 19 Matchday 5 or some poo poo

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Matt is the textbook definition of a person who just throws out random thoughts out about anything while trying to act like he knows what he's talking about, regardless of whether or not he knows a single thing about what he's talking about.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Crazy Ted posted:

Matt is the textbook definition of a person who just throws out random thoughts out about anything while trying to act like he knows what he's talking about, regardless of whether or not he knows a single thing about what he's talking about.
He's gotten much worse since going SubStack - he has to drive traffic and attention to his subscription site every day, and that means an endless stream of blistering hot takes that provoke.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

FMguru posted:

He's gotten much worse since going SubStack - he has to drive traffic and attention to his subscription site every day, and that means an endless stream of blistering hot takes that provoke.
And yet he's still more tolerable than Matt Bruenig.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Crazy Ted posted:

And yet he's still more tolerable than Matt Bruenig.

Matt Bruenig is autistic so can sometimes come off poorly, but at least he’s an actual expert in what he chooses to talk about (most of the time at least).

Yglesius isn’t an expert in anything. He’s just a smug rear end in a top hat.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Mahoning posted:

Matt Bruenig is autistic so can sometimes come off poorly,
Maybe I myself am online too much but he comes across as someone who might well be better off if he dialed back his Twitter activity, possibly by a lot.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Mahoning posted:

Matt Bruenig is autistic so can sometimes come off poorly, but at least he’s an actual expert in what he chooses to talk about (most of the time at least).

Yglesius isn’t an expert in anything. He’s just a smug rear end in a top hat.

But he’s an expert in being a smug rear end in a top hat

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

This seems like the best place to ask this. I have a Defector subscription, but every time I go to the site I have to sign in again. It's the only place where I don't stay automatically signed in. Does anyone else have this issue? Signing in every time is very annoying.

Boredumb
Mar 10, 2005

Bird in a Blender posted:

This seems like the best place to ask this. I have a Defector subscription, but every time I go to the site I have to sign in again. It's the only place where I don't stay automatically signed in. Does anyone else have this issue? Signing in every time is very annoying.

I just cache refreshed, signed out and signed back, and tried a few times and I seem to stay signed in fine. Maybe it depends on what level sub you have? I dont have the commenting sub but I think remember reading people in the comments were having a similar issue.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Bird in a Blender posted:

It’s something I’ve had an issue with the last week or so in particular. I used to stay logged in fine across devices, so perhaps something happened.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Ok. I just have the regular subscription, no commenting. Just wanted to make sure this wasn't my issue, seems like it's something with the site.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

It happens to me, and others have made reference to it in comments below the articles as well, so it appears to be something on the site's end of things. One person suggested going to the main page first rather than just jumping straight to an article as a way of avoiding it.

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
From some of their “Talk to the Staff” things, they’re apparently aware of it but haven’t found a way to fix it. First acknowledgment of it was a month or so ago, though.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
It only happens to me on mobile for some reason, and sometimes will just refuse to acknowledge that I'm a subscriber even when it shows me as logged in.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

The dread legacy Kinja lives on I guess.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I like defector but the actual website looks and works like poo poo.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

R.D. Mangles posted:

I like defector but the actual website looks and works like poo poo.

Yeah the layout is garbage. It’s my biggest complaint with the site. There’s something to be said for the simplicity of the blog style with the newest post on top. Which, they sort of have, but they clutter it at the top with too much poo poo.

Like, Deadspin (from a presentation perspective) was actually fine up until the auto playing video ads and poo poo. I even liked the side bar (on desktop) that had popular articles from other Gawker sites.

They def need to overhaul the layout a bit.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Yeah, it's rather patently obvious that Defector launched either 1) without the input of an actual designer or UX expert or 2) with its design driven by the child or other relative of one of the staff members. You know, the old "my son took a graphic design class last year" thing.

Boredumb
Mar 10, 2005

Timby posted:

Yeah, it's rather patently obvious that Defector launched either 1) without the input of an actual designer or UX expert or 2) with its design driven by the child or other relative of one of the staff members. You know, the old "my son took a graphic design class last year" thing.

What? The site was designed and made by https://alley.co/ it's literally on the bottom of the website

Also you can just subscribe to the RSS feed that is posted on the site if you want a chronological list of articles without having to go to the homepage

Boredumb fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Apr 21, 2021

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Boredumb posted:

What? The site was designed and made by https://alley.co/ it's literally on the bottom of the website

Then they got assigned some scrub of an intern on the job, because Defector's UX sucks out loud.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Timby posted:

They launched the site last year in the middle of all of the lockdowns so I'm thinking things were done kind of hurriedly

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/1385229118522941441

hmmm i feel an important detail is missing

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Even leaving aside that he became antiwar, got murdered by his fellow troops and then the murder was covered up, both Tillman while he was alive and his family since his death were very adamant that he not be used that way

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
One of the unfortunate things about being dead is the limited ability to steer your own narrative

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

General Dog posted:

One of the unfortunate things about being dead is the limited ability to steer your own narrative

to be fair, it would be the same were he alive.

Alejandro Villanueva openly said he's not offended by the kneeling stuff and that he knows it has nothing to do with the military and that never stopped racist shitbags from using him as their shining star.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

a ringer writer has cancer

https://twitter.com/JonathanTjarks/status/1386689715072602114

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Today in world class headlines

https://twitter.com/pkcapitol/status/1386715283830845443?s=21

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

That is an A+ headline from the Washington Post.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
As always, gently caress Cancer.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/celebrityhottub/status/1387573579626201091

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene