Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

The broken bones posted:

I miss Dick Schaap :smith:

I met Dick Schaap at a library or bookstore or something like that sort of event that like three people showed up for and he was basically the coolest dude ever, shot the poo poo about sports for a couple hours and even gave me his contact info to keep in touch. (This was right around when ESPN was doing the SportsCentury top athletes of the century thing and Dick agreed with me that based on the way it was laid out that Bo Jackson really should have been number 1.) I corresponded with him a few times but I was a dumb busy kid and didn't really realize how big of a contact it was, and then he passed away pretty suddenly about a year later.

Moral of the story is that Dick Schaap really owned. :smith:

eta: He was also a very intelligent and non-reactionary dude about sports. I watched that show every loving Sunday even though it had Lupica and Albom.

oldfan fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jul 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I still think Karch Kiraly was snubbed on that dumb list, get the horses off of there :mad:

That's an awesome story though, Schaap was great.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Grittybeard posted:

I still think Karch Kiraly was snubbed on that dumb list, get the horses off of there :mad:

That's an awesome story though, Schaap was great.
I didn't mind Secretariat on the list, just for the Yankee fan anger at a horse being higher on it than Mickey Mantle.

Also, that whole countdown series was great.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

quote:

Cowherd has been popping up on ESPN’s Mike & Mike radio show frequently – the rumor is M&M ratings have sagged, and the suits would like the show to have stronger opinions, something I discussed with one of the hosts on a podcast – and last week ESPN announced Cowherd will be part of College Football Live Tuesdays with Kirk Herbstreit.

Ah so they want the show to be more jam-packed with those two idiots yelling over eachother (I assume "stronger" is codeword for "louder"). Revolutionary!

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Maybe we'll get lucky and the modern day equivalent of Jim Everett trying to kick Jim Rome's rear end will happen on Cowherd's show. And this time the athlete in question will succeed.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
This got a laugh out of me:

NBC Sports posted:

The final is on ESPN. RT @BillSimmons "Radwanska! Bartoli!!!!! It's the Wimbledon Women's Finals on NBC!"

As did Part III of the Tim Tebow Chronicles, which is sharing secrets with us all:

quote:

Education is currency. That is how the NCAA operates.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Zeeman posted:

As did Part III of the Tim Tebow Chronicles, which is sharing secrets with us all:

This whole series has been utterly sublime, I want a movie version.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Maybe we'll get lucky and the modern day equivalent of Jim Everett trying to kick Jim Rome's rear end will happen on Cowherd's show. And this time the athlete in question will succeed.

This brings up an interesting point.

Rome seemed to be the first of those sort of "troll"-first take types.

But I sense something a little different out of him versus say, Colin Cowherd.

Recently his interviews have been rather good, and when he's not obsessively playing sound bites, his program is "listenable".

I've yet to really see that out of Cowherd.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

FuzzySkinner posted:

This brings up an interesting point.

Rome seemed to be the first of those sort of "troll"-first take types.

But I sense something a little different out of him versus say, Colin Cowherd.

Recently his interviews have been rather good, and when he's not obsessively playing sound bites, his program is "listenable".

I've yet to really see that out of Cowherd.

The thing with Rome is that over the years, he mellowed out and matured as a person and interviewer. The show mellowed accordingly. It still has some attitude, but it comes from a place of general common-sense correctness. An argument might not be as professional and might be a little too cute, but the argument is trying to legitimately make a point.

With the interviews, Rome does ask good questions, maintains a good flow to an interview (gets the subject to open up, lets them flesh out a story, moves on at a natural pace), and has grown far more respectful over the years. His interviews with Ernie Harwell, for example, were always excellent.

With Cowherd, his entire show is simply designed to take the obviously wrong side of an issue, or an intentionally dumb position, as a schtick. His whole thing is designed to be "controversial!" because that apparently gets the kind of attention ESPN is looking for. Cowherd is only there to stupidly poo poo on something, then loudly defend that pointless thing he just said. Cowherd is Skip Bayless over more hours of programming.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden

Zeeman posted:

This got a laugh out of me:

What a fantastic burn, good job NBC Sports

Note that that is the one thing NBC Sports has done well this decade

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I would also say that even during his trolliest times, Rome knew when he hosed up and acted accordingly. Cowherd is frequently defiant when people call him on his stupidity. As if it's some sort of badge of honor to make fun of somebody for dying.

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008

I would also say that even during his trolliest times, Rome knew when he hosed up and acted accordingly. Cowherd is frequently defiant when people call him on his stupidity. As if it's some sort of badge of honor to make fun of somebody for dying.
Cowherd never did apologize for what he said about Eddie Guerrero, right?

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden

Zeeman posted:

Just finished this. Every bit of it is so perfect. I can't wait until they travel through Quebec -- you know Bois will pull out the really crazy poo poo there.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Cowherd is frequently defiant when people call him on his stupidity.

http://michiganzone.blogspot.com/2006/03/espns-colin-cowherd-borrows-m-zone.html

http://michiganzone.blogspot.com/2006/03/colin-cowherditsomewhereelsefirst.html

http://michiganzone.blogspot.com/2011/07/colin-cowherds-revisionist-history.html

And when people call him on his plagiarism.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

I definitely need a shirt that says

Shut Up and Jam

I Require Silence Whilst Jamming

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Jim Rome's show is much more bearable than Cowherd but the problem is he uses so many inside jokes and references that it's hard to follow sometimes. Apparently not knowing who "Eddie from SoCal" is really puts a damper on things. He definitely does have great interview skills though, as others have pointed out.

I assume Cowherd never apologized for his completely lovely (and wrong) take on Sean Taylor's death either?

haljordan fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jul 3, 2013

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I never got what the gently caress Colin Cowherd's deal was. Like why he is such an rear end in a top hat.

Then last week on his show (which I caught 2 minutes of before turning it off), he said "Talk show hosts talk about topics, talk show hosts like... Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity and myself"

Cowherd clearly considers himself of the Rush Limbaugh of sports radio, and it's a huge bummer that espn is throwing their weight behind him.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Jim Rome is loving awful; you people are crazy. I mean Cowherd is worse, but "better than Cowherd" is like the lowest bar imaginable.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

haljordan posted:

I assume Cowherd never apologized for his completely lovely (and wrong) take on Sean Taylor's death either?

Here, have some lovely words from Those Guys Have All the Fun: Inside the World of ESPN :

Cowherd posted:

“Now with the Sean Taylor thing, my superior, Mo Davenport, an African American, listened to it and had no problem with it. A lot of it was turned into a racial issue. ‘Insensitive.’ And I would say it again. Sean Taylor came out of the University of Miami with a reputation. I really leaned on African American journalists — Stephen A. Smith, Michael Wilbon — who were critical of him. This is a guy who had an SUV riddled with bullets several years earlier. His best friend told him, ‘Stay out of Miami.’ If you listen to my commentary and go to the Internet, it was warranted, it was reasonable, and yes, it could have been wrong. But I’m not in the business of reviewing everything before I talk about it. I’m in talk radio. A story breaks, I need an opinion. I’m not ESPN News.

I came out later and said, ‘Here are the facts. Here is the truth.’ I never really apologized. I came on the air and said, ‘Many of you were offended. You were offended by my tone or tenor. I understand it. That’s my Colin tenor. Some people love it. Some people hate it. But I’m not going to apologize for my tone. Go back and look at exactly what I said.’

One of the comments that bothered people — people said, ‘He turned his life around.’ And I came out and said, ‘Hey, a lot of times you clean the carpet, but you don’t get all the stains out.’ And people are like, ‘What does that mean?’ Well, just because you turn your life around doesn’t mean everybody else is going to accept your apology. I mean, Sean had made a lot of enemies in his life apparently.”

That link leads to some Washington Post blog where you can relive his original bullshit if you like. I sort of hate you for asking that and also myself for looking it up.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

I get he has 3 hours to fill every day, but goddamn he seems to revel in the fact that he's a complete and utter shithead. "That's my Colin tenor." Eat. A. Dick.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Oh well, one black guy at ESPN listened to it, that is good enough for me. How could I have ever thought it was inappropriate?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Ribsauce posted:

Oh well, one black guy at ESPN listened to it, that is good enough for me. How could I have ever thought it was inappropriate?

He doesn't even say that. "Leaned on" probably just means "I retroactively decided that because they said similar things in the past my tone was justified." You have to be at least a little narcissistic to get into journalism, but top radio guys always seem to have major personality disorders.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

The Prisoner posted:

Cowherd never did apologize for what he said about Eddie Guerrero, right?

He sorta did, but it was one one of those apologies where he mentioned he was being forced to do it, and that he thought it was ridiculous in the process. So it meant gently caress all.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

The thing I'm sort of wondering about Cowherd's longevity is this.

Where are his fans/supporters?

I know Dan Patrick he was able to survive the move away from "the mothership" because he had a decent following.

Rome? Say what you will about the guy, but he does have "Clones" that seem to follow him around everywhere he goes.

If he were to get fired tommorow, would anyone event want to remotely pick him up?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Fox seems to delight in taking other TV networks' castoffs. I'm sure they'd give him a job.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton
He's a name so I guess some podunk station in Iowa would pick him up. He's loving ESPN garbage though, Rome atleast has gems like the pet holocaust and bum stealing the bread out of the mouth of duck bits that are entertaining. What does Cowherd bring to the table? Yankees, Cowboys, Lakers nonsense. Atleast that's what I heard when I listened to him seven years ago.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.

Fox seems to delight in taking other TV networks' castoffs. I'm sure they'd give him a job.

Max Kellerman crashed and burned on Fox. He went to HBO for a while as a boxing commentator and now he's come back to ESPN. As a boxing commentator.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
Kellerman didn't have a successful talk show before going to Fox, though. Host of a fake sportswriter judging gameshow isn't the same as doing a 3 hr broadcast of some kind.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

The broken bones posted:

Max Kellerman crashed and burned on Fox. He went to HBO for a while as a boxing commentator and now he's come back to ESPN. As a boxing commentator.

Yeah can Cowherd do this?

As one of the few boxing fans around I can confirm that Kellerman is still on HBO, I actually think he's generally pretty decent in Larry Merchant's old role. I don't really remember how terrible he was on whatever that show was on ESPN, I'd imagine pretty awful though just because that show should never have made it to the air.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton

Badfinger posted:

Kellerman didn't have a successful talk show before going to Fox, though. Host of a fake sportswriter judging gameshow isn't the same as doing a 3 hr broadcast of some kind.

Don't forget his less successful spinoff on whatever failed sports channel it was on. Kellerman is great in the boxing enviroment, I heard he trolls Laker fans so that's a plus.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Parlett316 posted:

I heard he trolls Laker fans so that's a plus.

He's a massive Laker homer, which is funny because he hasn't really been out here that long. His show still manages to be more tolerable than most sports radio though because he at least is self aware enough to have a sense of humor about himself.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Kellerman's Fox show was doomed simply because it was Around the Horn in everything but name.

I'll never forget his appearance in the last Rocky movie where he was legitimately shocked he was calling a Rocky fight.

Also he's a massive Yankees homer who rooted for the Sox over the Mets in 1986.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I thought Kellerman's Fox show was just him and Michael Holley doing a PTI kind of thing, and while neither were bad on Around the Horn, they really couldn't carry a show themselves.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Kalli posted:

I thought Kellerman's Fox show was just him and Michael Holley doing a PTI kind of thing, and while neither were bad on Around the Horn, they really couldn't carry a show themselves.

It also had the disembodied voice from Around the Horn.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Kalli posted:

Around the Horn, that's what I couldn't remember. I don't think I've ever been able to stomach more than five minutes of that show at once.

Wiki tells me his Fox show was going on during the time when his brother was murdered, I'd be tempted to sort of give him a break for being lovely on air around then personally.

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008

Grittybeard posted:

Around the Horn, that's what I couldn't remember. I don't think I've ever been able to stomach more than five minutes of that show at once.
It's gotten infinitely better (but still not really any good) now that Mariotti isn't on it, but Plaschke is still around and Woody Paige is pretty drat stupid-but-entertaining. Reali is a great fit for that format, though.

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006
Kellerman's radio show on ESPN NY was really good, but I haven't heard his LA show. I can't really stand Marcellus Wiley so that might have something to do with it.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Marcellus seems like a very likable dude but he is not very good at talking on the radio.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

Ace Jameson posted:

Kellerman's radio show on ESPN NY was really good, but I haven't heard his LA show. I can't really stand Marcellus Wiley so that might have something to do with it.

This is possibly my favorite memory of Kellerman's NY show (though this isn't the version of the bit I heard). http://lundberg.me/2009/11/27/schedule-a-game-against-the-new-york-knicks/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

The Prisoner posted:

It's gotten infinitely better (but still not really any good) now that Mariotti isn't on it, but Plaschke is still around and Woody Paige is pretty drat stupid-but-entertaining. Reali is a great fit for that format, though.

Reali can do around the horn and the stat guy and that's really it. He plays the goofy game show host exceptionally well, but you'd never try to give him a serious tv show.

Also, Dan Patrick could survive leaving ESPN because he's Dan Patrick. He's one of the guys who put Sportscenter on the map. I could never see Cowherd doing anything remotely successful outside of ESPN. I just don't think he has the base to survive.