Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

ChampRamp posted:

Wait, you get discriminated against for being a non-BBWAA member? I focus my discrimination on BBWAA members, so.

I'd be willing to bet that the "discrimination" he refers to is not having a HoF vote (and any other associated benefits of membership in the BBWAA).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:
I was really just trying to make fun of BBWAA members

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

stuart scott irl posted:

Damon Bruce is a sports talk bro who went on an awful tirade about how womens' involvement in sports is ruining everything. Rob Neyer wrote a bunch of tweets defending him, because he like, had met the guy before, and now wrote a big hilariously awful column about it: http://www.baseballnation.com/hot-corner/2013/11/11/5089986/damon-bruce-knbr-san-francisco-radio-sports-host-women

The best part is a female is an integral part of the KNBR morning staff, where Damon Bruce works (granted he's usually on 1050 and she's usually on 680).

Also she's all kinds of kick rear end and I would be 100% up for them firing Bruce and putting Kate Scott in his slot. http://www.sfgate.com/lgbt/article/Kate-Scott-broadens-horizons-of-sports-radio-4623655.php

Scylla
Sep 20, 2001

Crion posted:

edit: for content, David Roth has a far better take on the situation for SBN http://www.sbnation.com/2013/11/8/5081074/out-of-the-man-cave

I first read that as David Lee Roth and now my brain is broken.

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
If I'm posting a new thread, it means there is a thread already posted and I failed at using the forum search correctly
Has anyone heard anything about Mike Tyson's new book that came out Tuesday? I'm going to get it on my Kindle tomorrow. Although I'm wondering if it's going to be on CD. And I'm further wondering if he would be reading it.

Because that would be amazing.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

peepoogenderparts posted:

Has anyone heard anything about Mike Tyson's new book that came out Tuesday? I'm going to get it on my Kindle tomorrow. Although I'm wondering if it's going to be on CD. And I'm further wondering if he would be reading it.

If you have HBO he's doing his one-man show (which is basically his book, from all accounts) on Saturday night before the Andre Ward fight.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Scylla posted:

David Lee Roth on his body of work as a sportswriter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YD0X5Qu0vtw&t=165s

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Scylla posted:

I would be down with that, just for having every column end with

ZABABABEEBUBULOOZABALAZAZZABOOZABABOOBALAZABALABOP!

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Troy Queef posted:

If you have HBO he's doing his one-man show (which is basically his book, from all accounts) on Saturday night before the Andre Ward fight.

The previews make it look, I don't know, surreal as hell too. Which is a very Mike Tyson thing.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

peepoogenderparts posted:

I heard him do an interview with Dan Le Betard where he admitted that he wrote the book for money and didn't like doing it, so there's that.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Tyson was a talking head for the 30 for 30 about the 2 Leonard-Duran fights and he actually said some interesting poo poo and was one of the few who defended Duran.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I went to the Grinnell basketball game tonight (they have been in the news since one of their players scored over 100 points last weekend) and at halftime a couple of guys with heavy duty cameras sat out on the floor in front of me. Next to them was a guy who sure looked a lot like Rick Reilly. I figured I had to try to talk to him, and it resulted in this conversation:

:): Hey, are you Rick Reilly?
:smug:: Yes. Hey, did that last free throw bounce up and hit that pipe? (he seemed entertained by that event)
:): Uh, yeah, I think so. Hey, have you ever read any #HotSportsTakes articles on Grantland?
:smug:: I don't think so. What was it? Hot sports... ?
:): Hot Sports Takes.
:smug:: Nope.
:): You should check them out, they're really good!

He honestly seemed to have no idea what I was talking about, so I can only hope that I directly cause Rick Reilly to read a #HotSportsTakes article...

Also, my girlfriend asked who he was after I talked to him and noted that he looked like a huge douchebag.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
What I'm reading is that you had an opportunity to throw things at Rick Reily and did not do so.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.
Reilly stopped listening to dissenters years ago

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
Rick Reilly is going to attribute a quote from you on a hot button issue in the near future.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

MourningView posted:

What I'm reading is that you had an opportunity to throw things at Rick Reily and did not do so.

You do not even understand how hard it was to not just straight up tell him he was a piece of poo poo. :(

edit: He looks extra smug in person and spent the entire second half complaining that the game wasn't giving him anything good to write about.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

OctoberBlues posted:

You do not even understand how hard it was to not just straight up tell him he was a piece of poo poo. :(

edit: He looks extra smug in person and spent the entire second half complaining that the game wasn't giving him anything good to write about.

You should've acted like you recognized him, then asked him if he was Mike Lupica.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

AsInHowe posted:

You should've acted like you recognized him, then asked him if he was Mike Lupica.

hahahahaha this would have been amazing

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Peter Gammons is dumber than dogshit, news at 11 http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/peter-gammons-compares-alex-rodriguez-boston-marathon-bombers-185814985--mlb.html

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
Peter Gammons threw away decades of standout reporting and punditry to type nonsense words into Twitter.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

Peter Gammons threw away decades of standout reporting and punditry to type nonsense words into Twitter.

I'd be curious to see how many people, not just in sports but in popular culture in general, have hurt or ruined their careers with Twitter.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I'd be curious to see how many people, not just in sports but in popular culture in general, have hurt or ruined their careers with Twitter.
#1: Jose Canseco.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
On one hand because of twitter people now know who Darren Rovell is, on the other they now all also want him to have a piano dropped on his head.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

MourningView posted:

On one hand because of twitter people now know who Darren Rovell is, on the other they now all also want him to have a piano dropped on his head.

I can't even hate Rovell, he seems like a single-minded robot focused on the most banal goal possible.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
Drew Magary's takedown of Rovell was the most complete you'll see from anyone.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Where does the Iron Sheik fall on this spectrum

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Crazy Ted posted:

#1: Jose Canseco.

Toffile posted:

Where does the Iron Sheik fall on this spectrum

why are we talking about people who don't actually run their twitter account

AceFace905
Feb 27, 2007

Groucho Marxist posted:

why are we talking about people who don't actually run their twitter account
you watch who you mess with jabroni, Iron Sheik gently caress you in the rear end talking like that

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

AceFace905 posted:

you watch who you mess with jabroni, Iron Sheik gently caress you in the rear end talking like that

Wow, hilarious meme.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I know about the Iron Sheik, but didn't Jose Canseco's account do things like publish personal details on his exes, or something?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Fag Boy Jim posted:

I know about the Iron Sheik, but didn't Jose Canseco's account do things like publish personal details on his exes, or something?

And then shortly thereafter it was taken over by Jose's PR team.

Dick Williams
Aug 25, 2005
Canseco's account has been run by a marketing firm since like 2011 and the Iron Sheik is most definitely not him actually writing it (not that it really matters for either of them)

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

How the hell can Jose Canseco pay for a marketing firm? Isn't he broke like 10 times over?

Dick Williams
Aug 25, 2005

toadee posted:

How the hell can Jose Canseco pay for a marketing firm? Isn't he broke like 10 times over?

They probably pay him to use his name. I mean, hell, the bear sterns thing with horse_ebooks the buzzfeed dude paid for that account. It wouldn't surprise me if someone did the same with Canseco

AceFace905
Feb 27, 2007

Mornacale posted:

Wow, hilarious meme.
If anything it's a sign that his responses are a little too predictable :effort:

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

AceFace905 posted:

If anything it's a sign that his responses are a little too predictable :effort:

They are predictable because it's actually a couple of brothers who are hack comics doing the tweeting.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I was under the impression that Iron Sheik had his agent running the account, and the agent just tweeted whatever drunken ramblings Iron Sheik had. Given that Iron Sheik is now a sad, broken down old man possibly suffering from CTE, the Twitter account isn't as funny anymore.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Benne posted:

I was under the impression that Iron Sheik had his agent running the account, and the agent just tweeted whatever drunken ramblings Iron Sheik had. Given that Iron Sheik is now a sad, broken down old man possibly suffering from CTE, the Twitter account isn't as funny anymore.

it's his nephew. Whether his nephew and his agent are the same person, I have no idea.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

morestuff posted:

I can't even hate Rovell, he seems like a single-minded robot focused on the most banal goal possible.

He should get an award for least relevant fact ever posted on the internet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceFace905
Feb 27, 2007

sportsgenius86 posted:

it's his nephew. Whether his nephew and his agent are the same person, I have no idea.
Well that makes me like it even more. What kid doesn't want to grow up to control the public image of be like his awesome wrestler uncle when he grows up? :unsmith: