Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
538's articles are also really bad. I never visit it but occasionally on ESPN.com or twitter I see one linked and click it. It is very rare I feel like reading the article was worth my time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

midwat
May 6, 2007

Ribsauce posted:

538's articles are also really bad. I never visit it but occasionally on ESPN.com or twitter I see one linked and click it. It is very rare I feel like reading the article was worth my time.

538 always seemed like an incongruous addition to me - like they wanted to hire Silver but had no plan how to use him.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Speaking of fading ESPN projects, Whitlock is gone:

http://www.si.com/more-sports/2015/10/04/jason-whitlock-espn-bought-out-fox-sports-1

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ugh this is a terrible idea:

quote:

FS1 is rebranding its afternoon format around Colin Cowherd and provocative sports talk in an effort to turn around low ratings.

They go on to say they might pair Whitlock with Cowherd or give him his own show. I think Whitlock is at his (dubious) best in the radio or podcast format but pairing him with Cowherd just shuts off any desire I might have to listen to him.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
If this means Whitlock's podcast can come back, uncensored, I am beyond ready.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Grittybeard posted:

Ugh this is a terrible idea:

They go on to say they might pair Whitlock with Cowherd or give him his own show. I think Whitlock is at his (dubious) best in the radio or podcast format but pairing him with Cowherd just shuts off any desire I might have to listen to him.
That sounds like maybe the worst thing ever. Cowherd is bad enough, but he doesn't need Whitlock also injecting his awful opinions about how black people need to suck it up or whatever he's saying today next to Cowherd going off on all Dominicans.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

So basically Fox Sports 1 is going to start imitating EMBRACE DEBATE!!!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Crazy Ted posted:

So basically Fox Sports 1 is going to start imitating EMBRACE DEBATE!!!
More likely they're just going to become the Fox News of sports TV

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

FlamingLiberal posted:

More likely they're just going to become the Fox News of sports TV

ESPN is already the Fox News of sports TV.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Simmons is the best when he has a guest who takes him out of his comfort zone, i.e., someone who isn't a) a personal friend or b) an employee. Which is basically never nowadays.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Everyone here hates Klosterman but I loved when he called Bill on stupid theories.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton

soggybagel posted:

Everyone here hates Klosterman but I loved when he called Bill on stupid theories.

Klosterman presents his weird poo poo in a way that I enjoy listening too.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I like his writing most of the time but I don't know how anyone could listen to Klosterman because he has the most awful nerdy goober voice in the world.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Henchman of Santa posted:

I like his writing most of the time but I don't know how anyone could listen to Klosterman because he has the most awful nerdy goober voice in the world.

hipster droopy dog

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Henchman of Santa posted:

Bill Barnwell

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Part of me wants FS1 to hire PFTCommenter and give him a show and let him become the Colbert of the sports world.

The other part of me doesn't want him to become over-exposed or ruined by people don't get the gimmick.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Darren Rovell had a meltdown today because people pointed out that the NFL pink poo poo benefits the league way more than it benefits people with breast cancer

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton

ElwoodCuse posted:

Darren Rovell had a meltdown today because people pointed out that the NFL pink poo poo benefits the league way more than it benefits people with breast cancer

Link

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

soggybagel posted:

Klosterman and Simmons somehow bring out the best in each other.

Like someone pointed out, the Cousin Sal episodes are usually above average because I think Sal comes closer to any of the other regulars to sometimes calling him out on his bullshit, or at least when he's no admitting to being a homer.

Also can we get Simmons on Maron's podcast? This has to happen at some point when he's promoting his HBO show next year right?

General Dog fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Oct 5, 2015

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
It was a bunch of whiny tweets about oh the NFL doesn't really make that much money from a $32 t-shirt and they should do a better job of getting their message out there so people can see how much good they do and the people criticizing them are unfair. It was God awful "won't someone please think of the brands" poo poo even for him.

midwat
May 6, 2007

ElwoodCuse posted:

It was a bunch of whiny tweets about oh the NFL doesn't really make that much money from a $32 t-shirt and they should do a better job of getting their message out there so people can see how much good they do and the people criticizing them are unfair. It was God awful "won't someone please think of the brands" poo poo even for him.

I think ESPN keeps Rovell around because he makes their other personalities seem less noxious in comparison.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Is Joe Pos ever going to finish his "100 Greatest Baseball Players" list? It stops at 37 on his website.

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

Frackie Robinson posted:

Klosterman and Simmons somehow bring out the best in each other.

Like someone pointed out, the Cousin Sal episodes are usually above average because I think Sal comes closer to any of the other regulars to sometimes calling him out on his bullshit, or at least when he's no admitting to being a homer.

Also can we get Simmons on Maron's podcast? This has to happen at some point when he's promoting his HBO show next year right?

The first Sal/line podcasts was below average because Simmons couldn't shut the gently caress up about how innocent Brady was. Apparently deflated footballs can't melt steel beams, or something. I do enjoy them visiting each game at least briefly, and I like to guess the lines along with them.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

WayAbvPar posted:

The first Sal/line podcasts was below average because Simmons couldn't shut the gently caress up about how innocent Brady was. Apparently deflated footballs can't melt steel beams, or something. I do enjoy them visiting each game at least briefly, and I like to guess the lines along with them.

Yeah, while I do some light gambling on football the main reason I enjoy the Guess the Lines is so I can get a quick idea of next weekends games while driving to work.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Jason Whitlock is extremely mad online.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Also subtweeting like a bitch

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

GoutPatrol posted:

Is Joe Pos ever going to finish his "100 Greatest Baseball Players" list? It stops at 37 on his website.

He has said a few times that he is going to eventually, but it's obviously been awhile. A lot of the readers have said he should edit what he's already done, do the last 36 and publish it as a book. So who knows, maybe he'll do that?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

OctoberBlues posted:

He has said a few times that he is going to eventually, but it's obviously been awhile. A lot of the readers have said he should edit what he's already done, do the last 36 and publish it as a book. So who knows, maybe he'll do that?

I think it was also supposed to be mostly a summer thing where there wasn't much going on but then he got busy with his golf book and the promotion around it and didn't finish. Right now is pretty close to the busiest period on the whole sports calendar so I wouldn't expect him to get back to it for awhile. It was also supposed to be way less in depth than it actually was with just a couple paragraphs about each but like most things he writes it wound up being way longer and more involved.

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
I'd kick his rear end if he tried saying that stuff about me. No question.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
Joe Posnanski on his deathbed, whispers "come closer...the second-greatest baseball player of all time is...Ba...". He trails off. His eyelids close. He's gone, and we will never know.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Somewhere, Barry Bonds' ears perk up...

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Mozi posted:

Somewhere, Barry Bonds' ears perk up...

barry bonds is the greatest baseball player of all time, he wouldn't be concerned about whatever chucklefuck comes in second

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

zakharov posted:

Jason Whitlock is extremely mad online.

Howard just put out a big piece on how The Undefeated fell apart. Guessing this is what Whitlock was alluding to.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

And he's melting down again.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

The very thought of ESPN putting out stuff on par with Coates's output for The Atlantic makes my brain bleed. It's just so far afield from what ESPN is actually good at.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

howe_sam posted:

The very thought of ESPN putting out stuff on par with Coates's output for The Atlantic makes my brain bleed. It's just so far afield from what ESPN is actually good at.
It seemed impossible, considering all the examples that article shows of ESPN refusing to take a side on certain issues, or how they tend to excuse a lot of their employees' awful opinions on certain subjects.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
That article was mostly really good, as all of Howard's stuff on The Undefeated has been, but Deadspin's continuing vendetta against Grantland (even after accepting that Simmons was probably a good boss) is pretty funny.

Aside from the ongoing anger over "The president pitched a ball good: A Short Film," this struck me as an odd criticism: "The writers overwhelmingly avoid issues of real import and subjects that might be potentially divisive." One, because it is a sports and pop culture site, and two, because it employed people like Charlie Pierce and Wesley Morris. I dunno how scathing you want your Bill Simmons-led work-time-killing sports site to be. In their dream world, is Andrew Sharp firing off blog posts about how sexism taints American sports culture?

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
I like Deadspin a lot but I think their attitude is that they don't have to come up with any kind of positive alternative, or even display any kind of consistency between what they say and what they do. Their position seems to be that their only role is criticism, and anything outside of that is irrelevant.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Deadspin is about to a clothesline when Hulkamania runs wild all over Gawker's servers dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

zakharov posted:

And he's melting down again.

He is really hung up on Coates just in general too.