Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

DJExile posted:

music journalists are awful

I bet you're a (gasp) rockist

(also this is Jason Whitlock we're talking about, a man who once thought the height of humor was spelling the KC Chiefs' quarterback's name "Trint Green")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Parlett316 posted:

Are journalists in other fields the huge man babies that these weirdo bitches are? Good God it's just a constant stream of whining.

This is about ethics in sports game journalism.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

DJExile posted:

music journalists are awful

Space journalists too

Yes, that's really a thing.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Sash! posted:

Space journalists too

Yes, that's really a thing.
Space journalists and scientists have a tendency to get hilariously pissy with one another.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Film journalism is a never-ending rabbit hole of endless bitching and decades-long petty grudges

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
At its core, journalism is mostly just glorified gossip so it's not terribly surprising that journalists, by and large, are petty children.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton
I only trust my music news to come from Kurt Loder

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Parlett316 posted:

I only trust my music news to come from Kurt Loder
It was really weird growing up assuming Loder was some hardass rock music journalist just because of his voice, and then it turned out that he was basically the world's biggest Madonna fan.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Crazy Ted posted:

It was really weird growing up assuming Loder was some hardass rock music journalist just because of his voice, and then it turned out that he was basically the world's biggest Madonna fan.

Madonna is great, to be fair.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Yeah Madonna is awesome.

Music critics are definitely loving awful, it's all nothing but lifestyle criticism and posturing.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Parlett316 posted:

Are journalists in other fields the huge man babies that these weirdo bitches are? Good God it's just a constant stream of whining.

Dave Meltzer I'd a pretty laid back dude with a great physique

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton
Meltzer owns though

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

Crazy Ted posted:

Space journalists and scientists have a tendency to get hilariously pissy with one another.

Science journalism in general tends to be pretty lovely, so I can't really blame the scientists (most of the time).

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

ayn rand hand job posted:

Dave Meltzer I'd a pretty laid back dude with a great physique

Meltzer is cool and good

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Benne posted:

Meltzer is cool and good

A blogger wearing a dress shirt??

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Benne posted:

Meltzer is cool and good

sweet rear end luchador masks aside, he might have an organization problem

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Probably wise to have a fire extinguisher for when hot takes come blasting out of that computer into that room

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Sash! posted:

Probably wise to have a fire extinguisher for when hot takes come blasting out of that computer into that room

Or when that lamp sets the monitor on fire

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Criminal Minded posted:

Yeah Madonna is awesome.
Well yes, but it was just so weird growing up thinking Loder was this no-nonsense guy who probably got his start on the New York City punk scene and maybe chewed glass with Iggy Pop once upon a time and all of sudden his exclusive interview with Madonna comes on MTV and it basically starts with him going OH MY HOLY LORD MADONNA SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

zakharov posted:

A blogger wearing a dress shirt??

He used to be jacked but I can't find any good photos. He had a sweet mullet though.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

ElwoodCuse posted:

Or when that lamp sets the monitor on fire

That picture is a magical adventure of detail

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I don't believe Mr. Meltzer's setup is ergonomically sound.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
If you had to guess what year that picture was taken you would have to go something like 1999, right? CRT monitor, that old rear end phone, a real paper rolodex*, papers everywhere, etc.

You'd be wrong, the Carano Cyborg poster dates that picture to 2009 at the earliest as far as I can tell from google.

*god what I'd do to get my hands on Meltzer's rolodex

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

No Safe Word posted:

sweet rear end luchador masks aside, he might have an organization problem

no he knows where everything is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pb5ZhWOITQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8exKGcS_1xg

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

So has Whitlock committed career seppuku yet

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Sash! posted:

That picture is a magical adventure of detail

My personal favorite detail is the way Meltzer sits down

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Ribsauce posted:

If you had to guess what year that picture was taken you would have to go something like 1999, right? CRT monitor, that old rear end phone, a real paper rolodex*, papers everywhere, etc.

You'd be wrong, the Carano Cyborg poster dates that picture to 2009 at the earliest as far as I can tell from google.
Some people have a bizarre fondness for CRT monitors. I suppose they are a bit utilitarian since that kind of monitor basically doubles as a space heater.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Crazy Ted posted:

Some people have a bizarre fondness for CRT monitors. I suppose they are a bit utilitarian since that kind of monitor basically doubles as a space heater.

People? I think you mean cats.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

FlamingLiberal posted:

Not yet!

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Ribsauce posted:

*god what I'd do to get my hands on Meltzer's rolodex

It's was taken for a New York Times article from 2013.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2013/05/15/sports/wrestling-reporter-dave-meltzer-tries-to-keep-it-real.html?referer=&_r=0

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Considering that the paper newsletter itself is like eight printer pages double folded and written in both sides in like size 2.4 font and no fucks are given about grammar that picture makes perfect sense.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

The best Dave story is when someone asked him what he would do if WWE went out of business and he said he would probably be able to watch more wrestling because he wouldn't have to spend so much time on just WWE.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Dude works 110 hours a week? Pretty sure he can afford to hire an assistant.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Sash! posted:

Dave doesn't do hot takes (that's more of a Bryan thing) he just does ice cold burns though.

quote:

Tommy Dreamer entered at 14:33. Dreamer was wearing polka dots as a tribute to Dusty Rhodes, who was one of his favorite wrestlers growing up. It’s so weird that these guys do this when Rhodes himself said in one of his last tweets before his death that he was sick of pictures of him dancing with the polka dots and that it was one year and three months (actually a little longer than that) of a 50 year career. Dreamer was not only emulating Rhodes’ trademark flip, flop and fly and other spots, but also emulating his physique.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Jason Whitlock ‏@WhitlockJason 5h5 hours ago
Programming reminder: The Explanation 2.0 is scheduled for Oct. 14, 2015.

Gonna miss ya Big Sexy

edit

For those that don't know, the Explanation 1.0 was ridiculous. My man got a radio station to get Gates BBQ to cater it, and went on the radio for 3 straight hours and burned bridges so drat badly Dresden looked like a house fire. He lit into the KC Star so bad. He said one dude there got drunk and kidded another dude under him (presumably against the other guy's wishes), an editor promoted some journalist because they were loving, said newspapers were dying, and a lot more but it was a long time ago and I can't remember it all.

Ribsauce fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Oct 9, 2015

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Ribsauce posted:

Jason Whitlock ‏@WhitlockJason 5h5 hours ago
Programming reminder: The Explanation 2.0 is scheduled for Oct. 14, 2015.

Gonna miss ya Big Sexy

The unfortunate thing is this means he banged out some rambling reply and had the foresight to show someone who told him "Why don't we work on this and release it next week?"

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Lockback posted:

The unfortunate thing is this means he banged out some rambling reply and had the foresight to show someone who told him "Why don't we work on this and release it next week?"
No way. If anyone had the ability to make him rethink things they would have already gotten him off twitter.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ribsauce posted:

For those that don't know, the Explanation 1.0 was ridiculous. My man got a radio station to get Gates BBQ to cater it, and went on the radio for 3 straight hours and burned bridges so drat badly Dresden looked like a house fire. He lit into the KC Star so bad. He said one dude there got drunk and kidded another dude under him (presumably against the other guy's wishes), an editor promoted some journalist because they were loving, said newspapers were dying, and a lot more but it was a long time ago and I can't remember it all.

Didn't Entercom or whoever it was end up pulling him off the air halfway through his show?

I remember Keitzman (another (actually worse in my opinion) KC radio guy at a rival station) called up his bosses and threatened to sue if they let Whitlock go too far.

e: It's also entirely possible we're thinking of different bridge burning rants, he does this a lot.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Lockback posted:

The unfortunate thing is this means he banged out some rambling reply and had the foresight to think "Why don't we get someone to cater lunch like last time?"

Let's be honest with Whitlock's thought process here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!