Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Nate Silver is the one person you are allowed to tell "stick to sports"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

ElwoodCuse posted:

Nate Silver is the one person you are allowed to tell "stick to sports"

His sports opinions are terrible though?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Yeah, Nate Silver went to poo poo when he left Baseball Prospectus to focus on elections (admittedly, BP fell to pieces after that, too; PECOTA is completely worthless now). We're post-Silver-failure, too, after 2016, so I figure 538 is getting downsized significantly.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I think Silver is an obnoxious dweeb but as far as the actual election went he was a lot closer to being right than just about anyone else. He hosed up the primary pretty badly but that was because he ignored the numbers and bought into The Party Decides too much.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Apr 17, 2018

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Yeah how can you forget Nate Silver getting hammered by everyone leading up to the election for giving Trump too much of a likelihood to win the Presidency? Like, he was the one dude that was like "Guys, this is not as much of a done deal as you think".

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

National polls were correct. Also silver said trump had a substantial chance to win.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Yeah everybody poo poo on Nate after the general because he was the face of "data", but he was giving Trump a far bigger chance than most of his peers, like Sam "if Trump wins, I'll eat a bug" Wang.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Yeah he had Trump at like 30% if I remember correct. Laugh at the people who had Hillary at 99.9%. In fact, I remember people giving him poo poo saying he was only keeping it close because of pageviews.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

"Shook-rear end Nate" they called him. By the end of the night he was the media's least shook man.

Matt Lindland
Feb 10, 2018

SHUT THE FUCK UP KEVEN

ALSO GJ BUYING A NEW ACCOUNT LIKE A GODDAMN COWARD
YOU USELESS WHITE NOISE POSTER

YOU WILL NOT ESCAPE THE BOLF RAMSHIELD YOU SO RICHLY DESERVE

now with professional animation
Hold your head high nate - you were also wrong but in a marginally less wrong way.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Matt Lindland posted:

Hold your head high nate - you were also wrong but in a marginally less wrong way.

30% chance(or whatever it was) is not an outlandish impossible amount to have occur

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Dexo posted:

30% chance(or whatever it was) is not an outlandish impossible amount to have occur

Plus its not like Trump's win was fait accompli. He needed a series of things to break exactly his way and still pull a win with a minority of voters and he did. Its how the elections are setup, but it was an unlikely win, just not the 99% Hillary win some pundits were talking about. Silver was right on with that.

He did mess up the primary stuff though.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Cut him some slack, it ain't easy being gay but ethnically straight in a straight but ethnically gay man's world.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

General Dog posted:

Cut him some slack, it ain't easy being gay but ethnically straight in a straight but ethnically gay man's world.

what the gently caress is this, and did Silver actually say this

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Do you mean culturally straight/gay because what on earth is ethnically straight vs ethnically gay?

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

Troy Queef posted:

what the gently caress is this, and did Silver actually say this

http://gawker.com/5969477/sexually-gay-but-ethnically-straight-nate-silver-almost-gets-it-right-again

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Another Awful Announcing article ruined because Andrew Bucholtz clearly doesn't know when to shut the gently caress up

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

It's not really anything that's not been discussed around here before but Jay Bilas continually does a very good job of making GBS threads on the sham that is the NCAA and it always seems to be an afterthought on the mess that is ESPN's website.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/23325335/commission-gets-wrong-not-addressing-ncaa-rules-player-compensation

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Saucer Crab posted:

It's not really anything that's not been discussed around here before but Jay Bilas continually does a very good job of making GBS threads on the sham that is the NCAA and it always seems to be an afterthought on the mess that is ESPN's website.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/23325335/commission-gets-wrong-not-addressing-ncaa-rules-player-compensation
He's by far one of the best voices around on how awful the NCAA is. Of course ESPN is not going to heavily promote these articles when they can get away with it.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Hell yeah Nate Silver is gay

Good
At
statYstics

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Did you guys know Bill James wrote a book about serial killers? Found it at a used bookstore and it's a weird ride. Then again I like his style of writing.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Niwrad posted:

Did you guys know Bill James wrote a book about serial killers? Found it at a used bookstore and it's a weird ride. Then again I like his style of writing.

Because of his name being on the cover, I borrowed it from the local library.

It's awful. The more I read, the more I felt like James was very selective in choosing bits and pieces from stories to fit his narrative. I did look up a couple of the contemporary stories and in one of the cases he highlighted, it was something like James saying the family was killed in the middle of the night because that was his killer's M.O. Most stories, including those from nearer the source of the crime, said it happened in early daylight because the guy was out feeding his chickens (or something similar).

His naming of a suspect at the end made absolutely no sense. It's not backed up by anything but a hunch.

The Villisca area slayings have been suggested as being connected.

There's just no way that there was one person doing this nationwide, coast to coast.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Because of his name being on the cover, I borrowed it from the local library.

It's awful. The more I read, the more I felt like James was very selective in choosing bits and pieces from stories to fit his narrative. I did look up a couple of the contemporary stories and in one of the cases he highlighted, it was something like James saying the family was killed in the middle of the night because that was his killer's M.O. Most stories, including those from nearer the source of the crime, said it happened in early daylight because the guy was out feeding his chickens (or something similar).

His naming of a suspect at the end made absolutely no sense. It's not backed up by anything but a hunch.

The Villisca area slayings have been suggested as being connected.

There's just no way that there was one person doing this nationwide, coast to coast.

I think you're talking about a different Bill James serial killer book but the other more general one that niwrad is talking about is weird and lovely too.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

MourningView posted:

I think you're talking about a different Bill James serial killer book but the other more general one that niwrad is talking about is weird and lovely too.

Yeah, I confused them. There's the general one you're talking about, which I haven't read. The one I'm talking about is The Man From the Train.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
To be fair, before this were were focusing on "killing average" and now it's "lives ruined percentage", sure the book was a miss but we really changed the way we evaluate serial killers.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Like, Waited Lives Ruined+ (wLR+) was groundbreaking at the time.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
The other Bill James book is about popular crimes and contains a strong contender for most out of touch statement I have ever seen when he declares that "Michael Jackson was never at any point in his life one of the 100 most famous people in the world." I do remember mostly enjoying that book but it's been years.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/thewilderthings/status/990954518765621252?s=21
https://twitter.com/thewilderthings/status/990954826044526593?s=21

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

fast cars loose anus posted:

The other Bill James book is about popular crimes and contains a strong contender for most out of touch statement I have ever seen when he declares that "Michael Jackson was never at any point in his life one of the 100 most famous people in the world." I do remember mostly enjoying that book but it's been years.

I mean, his recent stuff on Twitter has confirmed it, but Bill's heterodoxy is mostly just contrarianism more than anything deeper.

https://twitter.com/emmabaccellieri/status/990958605011734531

Is Sports Illustrated the new The Athletic? My column:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
If SI is finding ways to pay people who make good content then that’s great

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Henchman of Santa posted:

If SI is finding ways to pay people who make good content then that’s great

Yeah I've generally liked her baseball articles when I come across them. Good for her/SI (hopefully).

e: meaning Emma, I don't remember Wilder off the top of my head but I'm sure I've seen her stuff too.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Apr 30, 2018

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

Grittybeard posted:

Yeah I've generally liked her baseball articles when I come across them. Good for her/SI (hopefully).

e: meaning Emma, I don't remember Wilder off the top of my head but I'm sure I've seen her stuff too.

I only know Charlotte for her recurring feature of "Is it sports?".

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Emma always seemed so out of place on Deadspin since none of her articles were gimmicky bullshit.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Kibner posted:

I only know Charlotte for her recurring feature of "Is it sports?".

She also likes to write silly Wide World of Sports type stories about things like lobster boat racing. Her twitter is a pro follow.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

fast cars loose anus posted:

I bought this for $1 at a Half Price Books and never read it for fear of it making me dislike Bill James.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Disliking Bill James is the correct moral stance, he's a turd

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Basticle posted:

Emma always seemed so out of place on Deadspin since none of her articles were gimmicky bullshit.

Yeah, I was really happy when she got promoted to full-time from weekends, because so much of her writing stems from a genuine love of the game (baseball in particular); she was a real breath of fresh air from the Petchesky / Redford types. Not surprised to see her go, though, especially since it was said that Gizmodo was told by Univision to start cutting staff heavily.

Now, bring back the goddamn staff photographers, SI.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
lol, Bill James is nothing in the world BUT an incorrigible contrarian. His entire career from 1970-whatever to today has unceasingly been him asserting the exact opposite of whatever the prevailing wisdom is. About baseball the first few decades, then once he became famous, about everything.

I think he's a really great writer (many others vehemently disagree, YMMV) but anytime you pick up anything written by Bill James you can lay 1000 to 1 it's going to argue against whatever most people believe about whatever subject it's on. Contrarianism is a neurosis for him.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
It's rad when it was just like "batting average is actually dumb" maybe a little less so when it's "Joe Paterno did nothing wrong" or "the Republican Party was completely innocent in the rise of Trump"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Eric the Mauve posted:

lol, Bill James is nothing in the world BUT an incorrigible contrarian. His entire career from 1970-whatever to today has unceasingly been him asserting the exact opposite of whatever the prevailing wisdom is. About baseball the first few decades, then once he became famous, about everything.

I think he's a really great writer (many others vehemently disagree, YMMV) but anytime you pick up anything written by Bill James you can lay 1000 to 1 it's going to argue against whatever most people believe about whatever subject it's on. Contrarianism is a neurosis for him.

Sounds like my kind of guy, why would anybody take the time to write something people are just going to agree with?