Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
please dont probate and ban me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

exploded mummy posted:

please dont probate and ban me

Ween.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

ElwoodCuse posted:

I'm trying to think of another pop culture thing with a more difficult barrier to entry (given all the in-jokes and references and stuff) than the Jim Rome Show and I'm failing

Twitter

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

This is fuckin' great. Since we're so close to the 2018 World Cup, there's understandably a lot of questions about the French national team, and specifically about Antoine Greizmann, who may or may not be staying at Athletico Madrid.

At a press conference the other day, a Spanish journalist wants to ask France's press officer about that situation. French guy attempts to dodge it by saying he'll only take questions in French.

https://twitter.com/esport3/status/1006522884884434944

So the reporter thinks quickly and asks him through google translate.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/1007296389225877504?s=19

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Always heart warming to see a charity really get money into the hands of the people who need it.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

What a cheap, crooked idiot.

Hole in one insurance for a $65,000 car and 144 golfers is like $1600, a million bucks is probably around the $30k range.

So instead of just getting that Trump got sued and paid 5x that plus lawyer fees from his scam charity and now they're gonna nail him for it nothing at all will happen to him.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

skaboomizzy posted:

What a cheap, crooked idiot.

Hole in one insurance for a $65,000 car and 144 golfers is like $1600, a million bucks is probably around the $30k range.

So instead of just getting that Trump got sued and paid 5x that plus lawyer fees from his scam charity and now they're gonna nail him for it nothing at all will happen to him.

It's funnier than that because it reads like they actually did pay insurance premiums but didn't read the fine print and made the hole too short

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Adun posted:

It's funnier than that because it reads like they actually did pay insurance premiums but didn't read the fine print and made the hole too short

I would have loved to have been the underwriter who had that come across his desk.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Ed Werder is having a real one:

Copying from twitter since it's a dozen subtweets:

SI: Sports Illustrated is hiring an entry-level breaking news writer based in NYC. Come join our team:

Charlotte Wilder: If you can stand sitting near me in the office this is a v cool opportunity. Especially if you're a woman trying to get into sports, you should message me — DMs are open

Ed Werder: So men need not apply? Any others ineligible?

Charlotte: Oh WOW you're right, Ed, sorry for attempting to make sports media more than 10% female, my bad

Ed: I just always associated SI with hiring the best regardless of race, sex and other factors.

Charlotte: Well unfortunately a lot of women and people of color who ARE the best often get passed over during hiring processes at EVERY publication, so it's important to make an extra effort

Ed: Oh so you’re saying the rest of the industry is racist and sexist except for you.

Charlotte: Can you even read? It's truly astounding that THAT is what you're taking away from these tweets

Ed: Just read aloud what you WROTE. You essentially made it clear you’re excluding males regardless of ability. I READ the words you wrote.

Charlotte: This is clearly not a productive conversation but thanks for amplifying the job posting with your quote tweets, appreciate it

Ed: Make sure you hire the best applicant, regardless of the rest.

Some Rando: Did you get laid off from Espn in favor of a woman? Why so upset?

Ed: Because next week I’m going to be standing in front of a broadcasting class of young people and some will be males and I have to tell them they have the same chance at jobs like those one as all others.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

lmao ed werder is getting ratio'd something fierce today

https://twitter.com/EdwerderRFA/status/1008720202157182977

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
someone please think of the white men

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

MourningView posted:

someone please think of the white men

What are we supposed to tell our young white boys?!

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I'm having trouble parsing "I have to tell them they have the same chance at jobs like those one as all others" but pretty much no matter how you interpret it it's dumb

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

You can tell he's just insanely mad about Bomani Jones / Pablo Torre / Mina Kimes.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Aren’t the grand majority of announcers still white men.

Like it has to be 90%

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

Aren’t the grand majority of announcers still white men.

Like it has to be 90%

The actual number hinges on if you believe Mike Tirico when he says he's white.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

The on-air talent is probably the best in terms of representation because you have so many former players doing color

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

morestuff posted:

The on-air talent is probably the best in terms of representation because you have so many former players doing color

Even then depends on the sport. Football color guys are still overwhelmingly white, especially relative to the makeup of the sport.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

MourningView posted:

Even then depends on the sport. Football color guys are still overwhelmingly white, especially relative to the makeup of the sport.

Jason Witten and Greg Olsen fighting over that MNF spot this offseason was funny

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Kalli posted:

You can tell he's just insanely mad about Bomani Jones / Pablo Torre / Mina Kimes.

Yup

https://twitter.com/bomani_jones/status/1008728327891415040

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

he's so not gonna survive online

meanwhile

https://twitter.com/TheAthletic/status/1008710931784712192

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
You know the athletic is hitting a saturation point because they hired an Iowa beat writer

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I think it makes sense. Cover both Iowa and Iowa State, as well as the Iowa Cubs (because prospects and whatnot).

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

iospace posted:

I think it makes sense. Cover both Iowa and Iowa State, as well as the Iowa Cubs (because prospects and whatnot).

He's never covered baseball or ISU I'm pretty sure he's literally just covering University of Iowa sports.

vv yeah even the Des Moines Register only has a part time Cubbie beat guy vv

MourningView fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jun 18, 2018

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

iospace posted:

as well as the Iowa Cubs (because prospects and whatnot).

the most coverage any minor league team gets is a passing couple sentences in the local paper.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
What's Ed Werder's backstory and why is he so angry about nonwhites in broadcasting?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

seiferguy posted:

What's Ed Werder's backstory and why is he so angry about nonwhites in broadcasting?

He just got laid off and has probably decided to buy into the dumb LIBERAL ESPN narrative to rationalize it

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Probably still mad about being laid off by ESPN.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

DJExile posted:

the most coverage any minor league team gets is a passing couple sentences in the local paper.

This is uh, kind of the point of The Athletic. They have people on staff do regular coverage of prospects and whatnot.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Ahhh got it. Looks like nothing of value was lost!

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I think the only people that would care about the Iowa Cubs are people who are Cubs fans who like their Cubs coverage (which is good).

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Inspector_666 posted:

This is uh, kind of the point of The Athletic. They have people on staff do regular coverage of prospects and whatnot.

In the context of the pro team sure but they're not gonna have someone follow around a AAA team

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Ed Werder lost his extremely vital to ESPN gig, flying to nfl arenas to read us the injury report.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Spoeank posted:

Ed Werder lost his extremely vital to ESPN gig, flying to nfl arenas to read us the injury report.

It was always Dallas. Half of his airtime must've been in front of their practice facility.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
What kind of broke-rear end papers are you guys talking about that don't cover AAA-level sports at all, they aren't going to have writers travel with the team like the majors but I've never had a problem finding actual coverage of minor league baseball or hockey

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down

ElwoodCuse posted:

What kind of broke-rear end papers are you guys talking about that don't cover AAA-level sports at all, they aren't going to have writers travel with the team like the majors but I've never had a problem finding actual coverage of minor league baseball or hockey

The Chicago Tribune stopped employing beat writers for both the White Sox and Blackhawks, let alone minor leagues.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

angrygodofjebus posted:

The Chicago Tribune stopped employing beat writers for both the White Sox and Blackhawks, let alone minor leagues.

Yes because they are owned by scumbags. The Post-Gazette might be published by an insane racist but they still have writers for the 3 teams here. And the Baby Pens have actual writers with the Wilkes-Barre papers, they just don't go on all the road trips.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/ToLey88/status/1008819102306263042

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

ElwoodCuse posted:

Most papers around the country are broke-rear end papers.