Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

ego symphonic posted:

It's going to be extremely difficult for them to compete against the Post in the DC market.

that's what i thought, unlike most other newspapers they have money

plus i heard they might already be planning their defense

http://awfulannouncing.com/athletic...-d-c-punch.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Vertical Lime posted:

i think they want to get all of the big teams up first, though i did see some demand for buffalo's pro women's hockey team

https://twitter.com/TheAthletic/status/1019189984019058689

interesting they opened in baltimore before dc

I figure as much. I would happily pay some money for some higher quality University of Arizona coverage, but they're also probably super far down on the totem pole.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Henchman of Santa posted:

People only hate HamNo for reminding us that we live in Hell
It's perfectly okay to think that Hamilton Nolan columns really aren't that bad* while also thinking it's hilarious that he's a white dude who went to a HBCU because he liked rap music.

*Except for his columns on American cities. He literally cannot figure out why American cities do not look exactly like European cities even though Los Angeles were about 1/25th of the size they are now until 10-15 years after the car was invented. He'll get real close to figuring it out 3-4 times when he writes about urban areas but he never quite gets there.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Crazy Ted posted:

he's a white dude who went to a HBCU because he liked rap music.

I keep forgetting this and it is always the most joyous feeling when I'm reminded of it

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
That's rad though

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
White dudes who go to HBCUs clean up btw

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Crazy Ted posted:

It's perfectly okay to think that Hamilton Nolan columns really aren't that bad* while also thinking it's hilarious that he's a white dude who went to a HBCU because he liked rap music.

*Except for his columns on American cities. He literally cannot figure out why American cities do not look exactly like European cities even though Los Angeles were about 1/25th of the size they are now until 10-15 years after the car was invented. He'll get real close to figuring it out 3-4 times when he writes about urban areas but he never quite gets there.

Are we really using the plural to refer to individual cities now?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

General Dog posted:

Are we really using the plural to refer to individual cities now?

Did you not watch the world cup?

I don't know if they do this, but it seems like a thing soccer announcers would do.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Grittybeard posted:

Did you not watch the world cup?

I don't know if they do this, but it seems like a thing soccer announcers would do.

I know they refer to the teams that way, which drives me nuts when I see it creeping into American sports. A team is a discrete entity. A city is a discrete entity. Is this some sort of subtle backlash against the concept of coporate personhood or what? I hate it!!!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
you wouldn't do that to a city name unless it's a club name (like Milan or Newcastle) or are using a country name to refer to a national team (like they would do in the world cup)

"Los Angeles were" is wrong because it's referring to the city itself, though it might be correct if you're using "Los Angeles" to refer to the populace of LA

it's just a british/us grammar thing about collective nouns, same reason why they'd say "parliament are considering" while we'd say "congress is considering"

ty everyone

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jul 18, 2018

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Look, if it wasn't supposed to be plural it would be called El Angel

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Co-opting British/European grammar for soccer is the worst, and extra special gently caress off to Americans who say "darby" or "treble"

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

ElwoodCuse posted:

Co-opting British/European grammar for soccer is the worst, and extra special gently caress off to Americans who say "darby" or "treble"

I loving hate the cargo-cult mentality of so much of US soccer fandom, especially MLS.

Real Salt Lake

Sporting KC

Even NYCFC and LAFC are dumb, the league has soccer in the loving name.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I mean he may just have made a typo

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Guys

Guys

I made a typo

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

I mean, they were once called "The Wiz" so I'm not sure if we should blame bad names on anything other than ownership.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Grittybeard posted:

I mean, they were once called "The Wiz" so I'm not sure if we should blame bad names on anything other than ownership.

But Nobody Beats The Wiz!

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Inspector_666 posted:

I loving hate the cargo-cult mentality of so much of US soccer fandom, especially MLS.

Real Salt Lake

Sporting KC

Detroit City FC

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

AsInHowe posted:

Detroit City FC

DC United should have gone with Athletic Club DC.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

AsInHowe posted:

Detroit Rock City FC

ftfy

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

We actually did at one point have a soccer team called the Detroit Rockers, so this would split the difference.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

I don't know if Hofstra has a soccer team, but it better be called Pride FC :downsrim:

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I don’t mind MLS conforming more to international leagues since everything they’ve ever done to make MLS more “American” or whatever has been absolutely terrible and is eventually undone anyways.

It’s the fans pronouncing poo poo like darby that drives me nuts. They’re also jerseys/uniforms, not kits. And don’t say “pitch”.

dadjokes
Feb 9, 2015

We actually did at one point have a soccer team called the Detroit Rockers, so this would split the difference.

Did the Rockers become the neon/safari or was metro Detroit blessed with two indoor soccer teams in mid 90s?

Also I just realized that the vipers also probably got their name as a dodge tie in as well. All with better names then Detroit city fc. At least dcfc goes by le rouge which I think is a pretty good nickname.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Fauxhawk Express posted:

I don't know if Hofstra has a soccer team, but it better be called Pride FC :downsrim:

bring back the flying dutchmen

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 8 days!)

Look, if it wasn't supposed to be plural it would be called El Angel

Technically Los Angeles was founded as El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula and now I'm waiting for a soccer team out there to be called "El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula FC"

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/richarddeitsch/status/1019712208308133889

he was too good to stay at yahoo

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Peanut President posted:

Technically Los Angeles was founded as El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula and now I'm waiting for a soccer team out there to be called "El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula FC"
EPDNSLRDLADP FUTBOL CLUB

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Inspector_666 posted:

Real Salt Lake

Sporting KC

New York Red Bulls

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

The MLS ripoff names aren’t necessarily bad, the worst part is that they didn’t get the city/name combos right. Like Real KC or LA would have at least had thematic tie-ins to the Royals and Kings. Or if one of the NY teams took the name and based everything except their logo around the English meaning it would become the funniest team name.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
tronc is laying off half of the New York Daily News editorial staff. Don’t know if that includes sports.

yankeehomo
Jul 20, 2018

tronc is laying off half of the New York Daily News editorial staff. Don’t know if that includes sports.

Fascinating how a company built entirely around journalism is going out of its way to destroy journalism. It's like McDonald's selling the McZika. Just go ahead and kill off all your customers, why not?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

yankeehomo posted:

Fascinating how a company built entirely around journalism is going out of its way to destroy journalism. It's like McDonald's selling the McZika. Just go ahead and kill off all your customers, why not?

Tronc is built on cutting costs and extracting the most profit possible, they don't give a gently caress about journalism.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Inspector_666 posted:

Tronc is built on cutting costs and extracting the most profit possible, they don't give a gently caress about journalism.

100% this

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Frank Isola seems to be one of the people who were cut from the NY Daily News

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

Frank Isola seems to be one of the people who were cut from the NY Daily News

The sports department went from 35 to 9 in America's largest city

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
They fired the entire social media and photography staffs.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Inspector_666 posted:

They fired the entire social media and photography staffs.

for a paper that prides themselves so much in taking great pictures that they named their sister TV station "WPIX" that stings horribly

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Seems like a poor idea but what do I know? Unlike executives I actually work in a loving newspaper office.

Doubly stupid to lay off photographers for a tabloid. Happened to the Sun-Times a few years ago and they had no one to shoot the Cubs winning the World Series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

exploded mummy posted:

for a paper that prides themselves so much in taking great pictures that they named their sister TV station "WPIX" that stings horribly

The paper's logo is literally a camera.