Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
The fact that those two tiny companies have been able to penetrate so much shows how much more room there is in the market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

sportsgenius86 posted:

I still don’t understand how Sherry’s Berries can have as much money as they seem to based on advertising frequency

It's because their berries are very plump, very juicy.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The barrier of entry for podcasting is nominal so hopefully the medium won’t be completely corrupted by commercial and monopolistic forces.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 16 days!)

euphronius posted:

The barrier of entry for podcasting is nominal so hopefully the medium won’t be completely corrupted by commercial and monopolistic forces.

you know that all you need is a printer to start a newspaper right?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Peanut President posted:

you know that all you need is a printer to start a newspaper right?

The metaphor breaks down tho because the internet provides universal distribution which you don’t have with a printer

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 16 days!)

you could just have a blog

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
The thing about podcast advertising is advertisers have much more accurate data on who is listening. Which is why they can spend less but have a hyper focused target market. It’s definitely worth the cost. Which is why it’s still very lucrative.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

soggybagel posted:

The thing about podcast advertising is advertisers have much more accurate data on who is listening. Which is why they can spend less but have a hyper focused target market. It’s definitely worth the cost. Which is why it’s still very lucrative.

As someone who's been listening a long time it's been interesting to watch it grow from affiliate marketing being the only viable way of covering server costs to even medium sized podcasters at least making relatively decent wages on regular ads.

It makes me wish I wasn't a bad voice broken lung audio-quality hating idiot and could do it better.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I think the money will only go up for these big podcasts because right now the bigger brands are still avoiding them for some reason. At some point companies like Budweiser and Pepsi are going to jump on board and it'll change everything.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I think the content might matter too. Like a lot of the "big" podcasters also have concomitant controversy/infamy. Not of all of them of course, but Coke isn't going to want their bumper accompanied by Simmons dad talking about the old days when he could say the n word (an event that hasn't occurred I know).

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Scaramouche posted:

I think the content might matter too. Like a lot of the "big" podcasters also have concomitant controversy/infamy. Not of all of them of course, but Coke isn't going to want their bumper accompanied by Simmons dad talking about the old days when he could say the n word (an event that hasn't occurred I know).

Simmons is pretty corporate safe, though some may not be huge into the "Mature Topics" that come up. I think its more like the large corporations haven't yet devised strategies for niche marketing quite like that, largely because they don't need to. The 2017 podcast advertising revenue was $314 million, which is a lot of money for individuals but pretty small when talking about advertising giants (for example, Coke spent 3.9 BILLION on advertising, 10x+ more than the entire podcast industry)

It's still pretty small, but growing fast.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I swore I heard a major beer ad on a podcast within the last year but maybe I'm dreaming that.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I am also remembering a major beer ad.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I don’t know how much it’ll ever really appeal to traditional advertisers when the majority of the audience can and does skip through the ad spots

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

morestuff posted:

I don’t know how much it’ll ever really appeal to traditional advertisers when the majority of the audience can and does skip through the ad spots

sometimes i will sit through the ad reads on long drives or if i know the hosts will make the ads brief and/or entertaining (shutdown fullcast is especially good at this on the rare occasions when they pull a sponsor)

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I pretty rarely listen to podcasts but when I do I'm driving so I'll usually sit through them.

AND EVERYONE SHOULD AGREE WITH ME SO THE SENTIMENT ANALYSIS BOTS SUGGEST HIGHER AD RATES

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
The cumtown live reads are the only good ads

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

i've heard some high profile advertisers on simmons' show fwiw

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Rick posted:

I swore I heard a major beer ad on a podcast within the last year but maybe I'm dreaming that.

Miller advertises on a bunch of Ringer shows, and forces the hosts to do one of the most hilariously stilted ad reads I've heard.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Bip Roberts posted:

The cumtown live reads are the only good ads

I will never understand how they got ads in the first place

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

morestuff posted:

Everyone fast forwards through the DVR and has an ad blocker on these days. I still think ad spots on podcasts are worthwhile if they mix it in to the episode.

I forgot that Subway was a sponsor for Simmons podcast at ESPN. But they didn't even really charge them extra for it, it was just a throw-in which is insane.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Henchman of Santa posted:

I will never understand how they got ads in the first place

Nick constantly messing up the promo code being the only thing that seems to upset betdsi is also baffling.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
If only like half of America even knows what a podcast is, here ~12 years into the medium, what reason is there to think it will experience substantial growth going forward? Isn’t it more likely we’re already at the peak?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

General Dog posted:

If only like half of America even knows what a podcast is, here ~12 years into the medium, what reason is there to think it will experience substantial growth going forward? Isn’t it more likely we’re already at the peak?

Doubtful. Its gaining steam, especially with younger people. The problem right now is it's very male dominated, and until they can find a way to get more women to listen it's not going to grow much larger.

I mean, I live (and work) in a place that's not very up on current times (small town Florida) and almost all of the 25 and under crowd talk about listening to podcasts, to the point where there's actually discussions about episodes of certain ones.

Hell, look at something like All Things Comedy. They have a deal with comedy central now, and started as purely a podcast network. Between that and larger festivals, it is growing. A bigger issue is how splintered they become, and people begging for money. I'm not giving you 10 bucks a month to hear a full interview, or any of that poo poo.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Everyone in my office under 40 listens to podcasts at their desks.

Everyone between 40 and 50 listens to talk radio.

Everyone over 50 acts like if you’re listening to something, you aren’t doing any work.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

yeah podcasts are basically the new talk and sports radio, right down to the same advertisers.

Yates
Jan 29, 2010

He was just 17...

sportsgenius86 posted:

Everyone in my office under 40 listens to podcasts at their desks.

Everyone between 40 and 50 listens to talk radio.

Everyone over 50 acts like if you’re listening to something, you aren’t doing any work.

Ageist! I'm 40 and I listen to podcasts at work.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
https://twitter.com/jason_kint/status/1052311975236112386?s=19

everyone fired all their writers and pivoted to video based on Facebook just making up viewer numbers heck yeah

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I drive around a ton for work and I listen to so, so many podcasts.

On 2x speed :getin:

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Spoeank posted:

I drive around a ton for work and I listen to so, so many podcasts.

On 2x speed :getin:

That's mental illness

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

MourningView posted:

everyone fired all their writers and pivoted to video based on Facebook just making up viewer numbers heck yeah

Yeah, was just reading about this. Don't know what to say other than I'm equal parts angry and not surprised.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Bip Roberts posted:

That's mental illness

how else am I supposed to manage to listen to the 32 podcasts I subscribe to

Related, I own a leesa mattress and have Harry's razors and products

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

MourningView posted:

https://twitter.com/slmandel/status/1052574161992744960

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

it's surprised me that podcasts haven't gone towards a subscription model (especially one's that are clearly higher budgeted ) but I guess the sheer amount of them makes people worried they'll get replaced. Then again, I also can't believe how much money advertisers are spending but I guess the money they used to spend on banners and poo poo has to go somewhere.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

BWV posted:

it's surprised me that podcasts haven't gone towards a subscription model

Give it time. no way some of those aren't heading there soon enough

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
I thought it came out a while ago that Facebook was counting as little as 5 seconds of autoplay or something as a "view"

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

BWV posted:

it's surprised me that podcasts haven't gone towards a subscription model (especially one's that are clearly higher budgeted ) but I guess the sheer amount of them makes people worried they'll get replaced. Then again, I also can't believe how much money advertisers are spending but I guess the money they used to spend on banners and poo poo has to go somewhere.

Many podcasts have gone toward subscription models. A lot of popular ones have 50% of their content behind a Patreon. A full subscription would require an established audience to work.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

MourningView posted:

Miller advertises on a bunch of Ringer shows, and forces the hosts to do one of the most hilariously stilted ad reads I've heard.

This is probably it. Yeah I guess they weren't very dynamic if I didn't remember the brand or where they came from.

General Dog posted:

I went to a startup pitch contest (how did my life become such a nightmare) last night to support some friends and one of the pitches was for a service that made podcasts that primarily (at this point) for medium-sized media companies that wanted to capture the podcast market without investing in producing podcasts.

It was one of the more shaky pitches so I am not sure how reliable the numbers were, but they were selling the fact pretty hard that millennials and especially genzees are adopting podcasts en masse and that it's growing faster than music or audiobooks.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Henchman of Santa posted:

Many podcasts have gone toward subscription models. A lot of popular ones have 50% of their content behind a Patreon. A full subscription would require an established audience to work.

The two major pro wrestling podcast networks (F4WON and the Torch) have basically grown out of the old newsletter model and had heavy subscription bases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
There are tons of podcasts with subscriptions, maybe an additional podcast, or one with like no ads or something