Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

ElwoodCuse posted:

I thought it came out a while ago that Facebook was counting as little as 5 seconds of autoplay or something as a "view"
Incredibly, it was less than that: three seconds on autoplay counted as a view.

To be completely honest, what Facebook is shown to have done via those unsealed documents is an enormous amount of fraud when you consider how much of the Internet's advertising they control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strasburgs UCL
Jul 28, 2009

Hang in there little buddy
Blindingly obvious at this point that there needs to be regulatory action against Facebook and Google on a massive scale, but there just isn't any political willpower to do so. Its utterly ridiculous that two companies effectively control so much of the media market.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
You snooze you lose

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

caveat emptor and all that

if you want to trust facebook’s self reported engagement statistics and base your entire content platform on it that’s your right as a dumbshit american corpersonoration :patriot:

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

The first of these was pretty lame, but this one's actually kind of funny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AduypIwu18k

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Declan MacManus posted:

caveat emptor and all that

if you want to trust facebook’s self reported engagement statistics and base your entire content platform on it that’s your right as a dumbshit american corpersonoration :patriot:

It's a good thing that the guys who made those decisions are the ones who are going to suffer and not all the guys who got fired.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
It’s kinda crazy Facebook didn’t think counting 3 autoplaying seconds as a view wouldn’t come back to hurt them. Maybe they decided the gain they would get from doing that while growing would outweigh the fraud claims and penalties they pay up later.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
advertising as a business model is fundamentally harmful not only to those who participate in it and are exposed to it but to society as a whole

this post brought to you by MeUndies, enter promo code CHUNKLES at checkout to receive a free pair of underwear with your next order

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

General Dog posted:

The guy they got as their Ed Kemper is phenomenal.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

General Dog posted:

i like this gimmick a lot

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

chunkles posted:

advertising as a business model is fundamentally harmful not only to those who participate in it and are exposed to it but to society as a whole

this post brought to you by MeUndies, enter promo code CHUNKLES at checkout to receive a free pair of underwear with your next order

yo these are actually extremely comfortable I'm not gonna lie

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Aren't they like $30 apiece?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

General Dog posted:

I finally looked at Bombas one day expecting it to be like, kinda expensive for socks but how much could that be? They're >$10 a goddamn pair.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Mack Weldon's are the ones that are $30+ which is a shame because they tend to advertise on the podcasts I'd be most inclined to support.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i buy the ones with the ren and stimpy-esque animation about how the complex fabric arrangement for your junk works

https://i.imgur.com/BXuLtpT.mp4

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
But do they have silver lining to suck the filth off your cock and balls

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
It’s disturbing how funny I think these jokes that riff on lovely podcast ads are.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

So It Goes posted:

It’s kinda crazy Facebook didn’t think counting 3 autoplaying seconds as a view wouldn’t come back to hurt them. Maybe they decided the gain they would get from doing that while growing would outweigh the fraud claims and penalties they pay up later.

It's time to break them up, these tech monopolies are destroying society. Put zuckernerd in the oubliette

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

General Dog posted:

Dunno my wife bought them for me as a joke but then it turns out they're actually good

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Feels Villeneuve posted:

It's a good thing that the guys who made those decisions are the ones who are going to suffer and not all the guys who got fired.

they were always going to be subject to the whims of a dying corporation and it’s a matter of whether the writers lose their jobs because publications don’t make enough as revenue or if they lose their jobs because the faceless newscorp restructured to try and mine more ad revenue from the video department

they were already dead downsized and there is no good version of redundancy under capitalism

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Declan MacManus posted:

they were always going to be subject to the whims of a dying corporation and it’s a matter of whether the writers lose their jobs because publications don’t make enough as revenue or if they lose their jobs because the faceless newscorp restructured to try and mine more ad revenue from the video department

they were already dead downsized and there is no good version of redundancy under capitalism
Maybe, but in this case it turns out that not a small number of media companies effectively changed their entire business model based on statistics given to them that had no existence in reality, and the offending company knew it the entire time.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
All marketing is lying, Facebook did not invent the concept

e: I feel bad for writers who lost their jobs, and as a person who strongly prefers reading things to watching things I personally suffer from it, but the executives in question were/are some combination of evil and stupid, and if Facebook was evil and smart and took advantage of them and cleaned their clocks, I can't find it in my charred heart to feel bad for them and they were always going to drive their companies out of business and their writers into unemployment before long, unfortunately.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Oct 19, 2018

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Eric the Mauve posted:

All marketing is lying, Facebook did not invent the concept

e: I feel bad for writers who lost their jobs, and as a person who strongly prefers reading things to watching things I personally suffer from it, but the executives in question were/are some combination of evil and stupid, and if Facebook was evil and smart and took advantage of them and cleaned their clocks, I can't find it in my charred heart to feel bad for them and they were always going to drive their companies out of business and their writers into unemployment before long, unfortunately.
Look, be as cynical as you want but Facebook is still very likely to be hit with a massive lawsuit over this. Tidal was hit with a Class Action lawsuit over something similar not that long ago, because they were reporting incorrect statistics from their streaming service and it led to artists and record labels being underpaid on royalties.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Crazy Ted posted:

Look, be as cynical as you want but Facebook is still very likely to be hit with a massive lawsuit over this. Tidal was hit with a Class Action lawsuit over something similar not that long ago, because they were reporting incorrect statistics from their streaming service and it led to artists and record labels being underpaid on royalties.

I thought the tidal thing was them lying massively about plays on songs, but the other direction? Like saying kanye's album was listened to like 8 times by all of earth and poo poo

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Yes, THIS TIME the major corporation will face consequences for their actions.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Lockback posted:

Yes, THIS TIME the major corporation will face consequences for their actions.

The difference between THIS TIME and other times is who is being screwed over. If it's average people/consumers, you're right. If it's major corporations and/or rich people? They will be punished.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I really dislike video because it seems like a lot of them don't do closed captions. I'm not deaf, but it makes a video worthless if you want to watch it in public without headphones. I did find that ESPN has CC, but I don't see them on most sites. Youtube's auto captioning is hilariously bad.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Bird in a Blender posted:

I really dislike video because it seems like a lot of them don't do closed captions. I'm not deaf, but it makes a video worthless if you want to watch it in public without headphones. I did find that ESPN has CC, but I don't see them on most sites. Youtube's auto captioning is hilariously bad.

Having to rely on reading text to understand video content :discourse:

The ultimate pivot

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

The best video pivot are the 2 minute videos that take a 4 sentence paragraph and break it up into half sentence chunks of text over stock footage. Lookin at you, Now This.

Spoeank fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Oct 19, 2018

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

My issue with video is that I can read an article about ten times faster than it takes to watch a bunch of talking heads jabber on for four minutes or whatever. loving CNN is the worst, because they've decided that every single article on their site needs to be tied to a video that auto-plays and oh my God gently caress you.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Timby posted:

My issue with video is that I can read an article about ten times faster than it takes to watch a bunch of talking heads jabber on for four minutes or whatever. loving CNN is the worst, because they've decided that every single article on their site needs to be tied to a video that auto-plays and oh my God gently caress you.

autoplaying video was awful when they first rolled it out like ten years ago and guess what still awful

uninvited sounds/video/buffered content has always and forever been a terrible web 2.0 concept and a crystallization of the fact that advertisers and web designers have almost no clue how people actually consume web content

Crazy Ted posted:

don’t get me wrong, facebook totally deserves to get fistfucked over this and many other fucky things they have done but i’m still gonna laugh at all the corporations who got hoodwinked just so they wouldn’t get left behind in the great gold rush of social media engagement

the real kick in the taint is that all the people who lost their jobs in the neckbreaking pivot to easy to digest content that nobody watched won’t receive a dime of compensation; it’ll just be money changing hands between the rich and the mega rich and their corporate lawyers

nothing will change and those old jobs won’t come back

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?

A note: I run a small news org. Today I uploaded a video to facebook and turned on auto captions and it put the freakin N word in the captions even though the person didn't say anything remotely like the freaking N word.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

IMB posted:

A note: I run a small news org. Today I uploaded a video to facebook and turned on auto captions and it put the freakin N word in the captions even though the person didn't say anything remotely like the freaking N word.

Facebook has gathered enough data to know what’s in your heart

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

IMB posted:

Honest question: why is the n word even in the word list? why would you have it spelled out and not censored like n----- or something if you HAD to have it in there?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Ramadu posted:

Honest question: why is the n word even in the word list? why would you have it spelled out and not censored like n----- or something if you HAD to have it in there?

Silicon Valley is filled with racists.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Ramadu posted:

Subtitles should translate it to “friend of the family”

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?

General Dog posted:

Facebook has gathered enough data to know what’s in your heart

to be fair, the guy in the video definitely looked like the type

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Dexo posted:

Silicon Valley is filled with racists.

you mean to tell me james damore WASN'T a lone wolf?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Timby posted:

Oh yeah, I hate video for those reasons too, but occasionally I want to watch a highlight video, or whatever and I don't have much of a choice. Anyway, autoplay video is dumb, and I expect every website to have come around and nearly abandoned video in 3 years time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

General Dog posted:

Subtitles should translate it to “friend of the family”

Grandma