Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Declan MacManus posted:

how much fuckin promotion does the third or fourth sequel to a major ip even need

well considering the buzz around Solo was dismal from the word go (firing its original directors for "not jiving with Kathleen Kennedy's vision", reports of having to give the lead acting lessons on set, etc) it's no surprise they had to pump up the marketing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Solo was actually way better than it had any right being

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

sportsgenius86 posted:

Solo was actually way better than it had any right being

Depending on how much of a right you think it had, I agree. That movie was fine. Not good, but not terrible.

It feels like every year there's at least one big budget movie that everyone goes in on like it's the worst poo poo, and then you eventually catch it streaming years later and it was just mediocre. :shrug:

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Russia Today got SportsTalkBarryed.
https://twitter.com/SportsTalkBarry/status/1128434064145506304?s=19

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

I really enjoy that he uses that ridiculous actor from the TV Rehab Clinic commercial

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
Drew Magary wrote about his hemorrhage: https://theconcourse.deadspin.com/the-night-the-lights-went-out-1834298070

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

jeeeeesus that is a hell of a read

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

This whole thing is terrifying. And he addresses the wife-deleted story of what happened.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

I spent close to two months in a hospital following a spinal surgery. No brain injury, but plenty of drugs, tubes, disorientation, making GBS threads with company, avoiding the showers and learning to walk again when you are half the age of everyone in there. That article made me shudder, laugh, cry a bit, cry from laughter at the catheter line (I thought about the same idea but wasn’t brave enough to pull), and also feel happy to know someone else has pissed in a bottle with five nurses and doctors around.

Mostly it just made me feel insanely lucky to be here now. I’m glad drew seems to feel the same.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

brain injuries are hosed. my dad had something similar (albeit milder) and it was like he transformed into a completely different human for 3 weeks. It was like one part toddler one part ornery geezer. He's fine now and has no memory of his time there really. It's crazy.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Really good piece, but did they ever figure out why he collapsed to begin with? The brain hemmorage was caused by the fall, correct?

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
He fell over because he was driving drunk and crashed into something, duh.

(Did anybody ever explain why multiple people decided he was in a car crash even though he said he fell down at karaoke?)

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Inspector_666 posted:

(Did anybody ever explain why multiple people decided he was in a car crash even though he said he fell down at karaoke?)
Probably because very little information came out about what happened until...well...now. So, people pretty much just made up whatever they wanted to.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Inspector_666 posted:

He was intentionally tripped by Buzz Bissinger

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Inspector_666 posted:

Because they dislike him.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Brain issues are loving weird.

About nine years ago, I was doing some Spring Cleaning in my living room when I blacked out and upon coming back to consciousness I found myself in the middle of a conversation with my kitchen stove. That started a process in which over the next year I would be diagnosed with a large Pineal cyst, brain seizures, painless migraines, had an episode where I started hearing Jack in the Box music out of nowhere in the midst of a headache, became sick enough that I spent four weeks on home rest as a guy in my 20's, and I ended up in the Mayo Clinic being monitored by a three-person Neurological team for six days.

I didn't even take a hit to the head. The three-person neurology team at no less than the Mayo Clinic could only come up with what was basically a hypothesis about what was going on, and I basically had to be a prescription guinea pig until the right balance of medication was found.

The after-effects were really weird too. I developed two brain ticks that had never been present before. One was that, after previously being known for remembering absolutely everybody's names I couldn't remember the names of anybody - people who in some cases I'd known for years. Another was that for some reason I could no longer just lock a door and walk away - my brain wouldn't register the sounds of the key and the lock and it wouldn't register that I'd locked my front/car/side/etc door. The workaround I had to come up with was that I had to physically watch myself take my keys out of my pocket, physically watch myself put the key in the lock, and physically watch myself turn the key. Then my brain would register that I'd locked the door and I was okay.

Another way in which my brain rewired itself a bit is that now a daily schedule has absolutely no affect on how/when I sleep. I just have to sleep whenever. It doesn't matter how lazy, busy, sick, or whatever I've been. I have some nights where I don't have to sleep at all, others where I sleep a normal eight hours, and other times where I get my normal sleep throughout the day by taking several naps.

You might think, "Well take something to help you sleep, you dumbass". Well, I tried that once. Perhaps owing to how delicate my brain chemistry is now I tried an over-the-counter sleep aid one time, and I ended up laid out for something like 20 or 22 straight hours. My now wife said that at one point she was actually considering calling an ambulance because she thought I might be in a coma.

All of this and it's possible that it all happened because of a small ball of fluid in the middle of my head that can't be removed. This is the same kind of cyst that if it was on pretty much any other body part you could poke it, drain it, and in five minutes that would be it. However, because it's attached to one of the central glands of my brain it's likely that the only way to remove it would be via chemotherapy.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 22:39 on May 16, 2019

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Not to re-hash “hollywood accounting” but just a reminder guys from the lord of the rings series had to sue to get their share of profits because New Line claimed the Lord of the Rings series never turned a profit. Over 2.9 billion dollars in world wide gross. Then remember how many different dvd and Blu-ray releases they had. And this was during peak DVD. All the merchandising.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The South China Morning Post has a phenomenal piece on Bruce Lee and street-fighting's influence on MMA and martial arts movies

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

As much as I love Bruce Lee he really did not have much (if anything) to do with MMA.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
https://deadspin.com/espn-president-were-going-to-keep-the-old-whites-happy-1834901681

quote:

Pitaro has also satisfied ESPN’s more traditional fans by steering commentators away from political discussions on-air and on social media, which heightened during President Trump’s criticism of NFL player protests against social injustice during the playing of the national anthem.

“Without question our data tells us our fans do not want us to cover politics,” Pitaro said. “My job is to provide clarity. I really believe that some of our talent was confused on what was expected of them. If you fast-forward to today, I don’t believe they are confused.”

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/wsj/status/1130858310931034116?s=21

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I think it is reasonable for ESPN to cater to their audience. They are primarily an entertainment business, after all.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Did Magic write this?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

General Dog posted:

I think it is reasonable for ESPN to cater to their audience. They are primarily an entertainment business, after all.

It’s honestly kind of surprising they (sometimes) acted like a journalistic entity for as long as they did

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/1133077578837909504

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

RIP humans. The automatons have almost learned to mimic emotion and narcissism .

BWV fucked around with this message at 01:57 on May 28, 2019

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1133176265739890688

rip

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

https://twitter.com/jadande/status/1133182666604503041?s=21

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

the name "authentic brands group" is something right out of a absurdist dystopian novel.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!

Not only is this terrible, but the Isles won 4 Stanley Cups when he was alive (although he would have been 5 for the last one)

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

We will always remember sort of how we got here. Not with any real clarity or anything, just in a general vague way. Would you like fries with your Sports Illuburger? Can I get your kid a Sporty Meal? It comes with a Peter King tamagotchi!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I can't wait to go to the Sports Illustrated Urgent Care and pay $3,000 to get my hamstring injury checked out

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I can't wait to go to the Sports Illustrated Urgent Care and pay $3,000 to get my hamstring injury checked out

3k? oh you have insurance?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Sports Illustrated Thrilla In Vanilla Wafers. Lawdy, Lawdy They're Great!

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

General Dog posted:

i mean it’s fair, it’s just disingenuous to pretend that sports and politics have zero natural overlap

but if you were looking at espn as a guiding light for reasonable politics in an unreasonable age, lmao

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
How much money is in the Buzz Beamer IP?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

That Sports Illustrated Clinic thing probably would've worked like 20 years ago when chud dads who grew up on the mag were desperate to make their kids look like good athletes

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

They probably noted the success of these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWtx9JwNzmY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZfbN02_9Jw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Sports Illustrated Swimsuits.