Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/craigcalcaterra/status/1290362989372153858

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
https://twitter.com/laurawags/status/1290384682694123526?s=20

Good for them

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/bomani_jones/status/1290351307581272064

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
God I love Bomani.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Aug 3, 2020

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/HQonESPN/status/1290397877320245248

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Mental Hospitality posted:

Drive into work was rough this morning. Don't think I've ever felt like crying for the entire 45 minute commute. Jamie was a stand up guy, witty and funny, kind and generous to others. So of course, this being 2020 and all, he had to die of loving colon cancer at 48 and leave his wife and 3 young kids.

Wojo’s column was pure :smith:

And yeah, getting diagnosed with Stage 4 colon cancer four years before it’s even recommended that you get a colonoscopy is hosed.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

I was wondering how stuff like legal, accounting, payroll would work for an outfit like than.

barring them getting a very high number of subscribers, which is a lot different than unique visitors on a free site, i don't see how it works long term without advertising or VC money

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

You don't need legal payroll or any of that. This is honestly no different than like let's say a patreon for a podcast or art.

Without someone at the top who's seeking to exploit the workers for their own gain without actually doing any of the work you could build a more than sustainable business.

Like this is a podcast that I listen to.

On patreon, this is their take home.

They(Defector) might fail and might not make enough, but like it can be done. Just put out good content and people will sign up.

You don't need all of that overhead.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I think Deadspin 2 is gonna need lawyers

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

It'll probably be pretty cheap to run, but they'll still need a ton of subscribers if they're going to pay that many writers a living wage. I imagine they'll let employees freelance to supplement their income, but the biggest problem is still probably going to be attrition as people decide they can't live off $35,000 or whatever

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
People seem to be confusing Deadspin with Gawker. It’s just a snarky sports blog and I have a sneaky suspicion they’ll probably avoid publishing sex tapes.

There’s a lot of people willing to pay like $2 a week just to read a few blog posts and listen to the deadcast.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

As long as they don't hire someone as coked out as AJ Daulerio was in 2009-10 to lead the site and start doing things like trying to crowdfund athlete dong shots and publishing tapes of women possibly being sexually assaulted in bathrooms, like he did back then, they'll be just fine without having a team of lawyers on retainer.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
And you can still get advertisement money by having low-key adverts and sponsors. That's not a big deal and can help cover overhead.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
The closest thing to a sex tape Deadspin published was that Manti T'eo's girlfriend wasn't real.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

The closest thing to a sex tape Deadspin published was that Manti T'eo's girlfriend wasn't real.

Deadspin did publish several bits of naughty B-roll of fans in the stands, including Skydome hotel sex.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
At the end of the day they’re not really going to require much legal protection to say “Trump bad” or “Biden bad” or “Derek Jeter is a fat stupid bitch”. I doubt we’re going to see them actually breaking stories.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

General Dog posted:

At the end of the day they’re not really going to require much legal protection to say “Trump bad” or “Biden bad” or “Derek Jeter is a fat stupid bitch”. I doubt we’re going to see them actually breaking stories.

Wow!

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

morestuff posted:

It'll probably be pretty cheap to run, but they'll still need a ton of subscribers if they're going to pay that many writers a living wage. I imagine they'll let employees freelance to supplement their income, but the biggest problem is still probably going to be attrition as people decide they can't live off $35,000 or whatever

it depends on what you think the subscriber pool is like; like dexo mentioned, some of the top podcasts are pulling in mid-to-high five figures per month using a similar pricing structure as defector (roughly $5 a month base level with higher tiers available)

defector has more writers and as such more overhead than a podcast, but their readership is older and has more disposable income, and they’re cheaper than the athletic (although much less specialized)

the other thing is that a lot of these writers are probably going to still take whatever freelance gigs they can get or have other income streams (like drew’s books); starting up a new media empire isn’t easy but defector ticks off a lot of boxes that i think will make it pan out

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Deadspin did publish several bits of naughty B-roll of fans in the stands, including Skydome hotel sex.

Butthole eaten at Lions tailgate

Also I mentioned it earlier but they posted some of the leaked celebrity nudes as well.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
They famously posted Brett Favre's dick. But again all this stuff was like 10+ years and four EICs ago, no one making those decisions is going to be involved with the new site

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

All of these things weave the rich tapestry that is the heart of Deadspin

It's not necessarily because I think they're going to post something truly scandalous that they could get sued for, but they might post something totally fine that they still might get sued over anyway. But anyway I'm sure they know what they're doing and what they'll need.

General Dog posted:

as long as they can keep the Deadspin continuity people will definitely send them tips and scoops

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Declan MacManus posted:

it depends on what you think the subscriber pool is like; like dexo mentioned, some of the top podcasts are pulling in mid-to-high five figures per month using a similar pricing structure as defector (roughly $5 a month base level with higher tiers available)

defector has more writers and as such more overhead than a podcast, but their readership is older and has more disposable income, and they’re cheaper than the athletic (although much less specialized)

the other thing is that a lot of these writers are probably going to still take whatever freelance gigs they can get or have other income streams (like drew’s books); starting up a new media empire isn’t easy but defector ticks off a lot of boxes that i think will make it pan out

Also theres other stuff the Defector podcast is getting a Stitcher sponsorship and also with everyone having a stake in ownership it helps with a feeling of togetherness that might have people deal with lower pay.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I didn't catch that the podcast was going to be through Stitcher. No idea how much that pays but glad to hear it.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Lamar Odom biographer has deep understanding of nuclear explosions
https://twitter.com/ChrisPalmerNBA/status/1290678170820042752?s=20

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I feel like the only times I hear about Chris Palmer he's either saying some dumb poo poo or getting fired from somewhere

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

morestuff posted:

I feel like the only times I hear about Chris Palmer he's either saying some dumb poo poo or getting fired from somewhere

He already deleted it, what did he say?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

The explosion in Beirut was 100% a nuclear blast

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

That was clearly a nuclear explosion in Beiruit. There was even a mushroom cloud! WAKE UP SHEEPLE.

Or something along those lines.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

I took a screenshot

Now admittedly I too equated mushroom clouds with atomic bombs...when I was like ten.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Not sure why it's not embedding anymore but it's still up

https://twitter.com/ChrisPalmerNBA/status/1290684569931243520?s=20

And he's doubling down!

https://twitter.com/ChrisPalmerNBA/status/1290725213110284289?s=20

Also posted a sweet motivational tweet between those two

https://twitter.com/ChrisPalmerNBA/status/1290719092563824641?s=20

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

jfc he's really That Guy isn't he

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

getting rid of about 95% of NBA writers/"journalists" would make me want to watch the NBA a lot more, to be honest

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

Troy Queef posted:

getting rid of about 95% of NBA writers/"journalists" would make me want to watch the NBA a lot more, to be honest

They don’t play the game

I watch a poo poo ton of basketball and have no idea who this dude is like at all

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
THIS LEAGUE

normally you only see Palmer pop up when he is completely fabricating trade rumors, kudos to him for finding a new way to get him name out there a new subject to talk out of his rear end about

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

morestuff posted:

The explosion in Beirut was 100% a nuclear blast

I know it's well past its expiration date, but if ever there was a time to use the Picard meme...
Jesus, what an idiot. And thanks.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
https://twitter.com/JManziel2/status/1291100766900387840?s=19

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

tremendous content

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

look johnny manziel loving sucks but if the layup’s there you take it

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Rovell did manage to own Clay Travis at least

https://twitter.com/BarstoolBigCat/status/1291194618747510784

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

lmao 4 tweets containing all garbage people.