Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

seiferguy posted:

She seems cool, but it's a real shame she's working at nu deadspin :(

I certainly don’t read Deadspin any more but honestly journalism jobs are going down the shitter and I have to imagine it’s even harder for women who work in sports journalism so if someone wants a gig where they get paid they ought to take it (edit: especially since it’s a union job). Just keep fighting the assholes at the top whenever possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

General Dog posted:

I know fair use is always something of a moving target, but isn't part of it whether the use in question could be an acceptable substitute for the work itself? What's the overlap of people who want to read/listen to the book in earnest, and people who want to listen to it in full with commentary from rear end Dan and the Scrotum Steve of Barstool Sports?

It doesn't matter whether the intended audience is likely to buy the book. If you're providing access to the full work verbatim, recording it and broadcasting it in any sort of public way you're violating copyright, cut and dry

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

General Dog posted:

I know fair use is always something of a moving target, but isn't part of it whether the use in question could be an acceptable substitute for the work itself? What's the overlap of people who want to read/listen to the book in earnest, and people who want to listen to it in full with commentary from rear end Dan and the Scrotum Steve of Barstool Sports?
You can't "disseminate" an entire copyrighted work without the creator's permission even if you're providing constant commentary on it. If you could do that, every single notable sporting event on earth would be live-streamed in HD for free on Twitch and YouTube by random people and there'd legally be nothing sports leagues could do about it.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

seiferguy posted:

Content of new Deadspin aside, I generally don't blame anyone for taking that job except maybe I guess EIC.

It is so hard to find a job writing about sports and to find a union shop I get why one would take it.

Julie got fired from her radio show in Chicago when the station wanted to remove anyone who wasn't a sportsy sport rear end sports dude.

Their writing isn't my cup of tea, but I don't particularly hold ill will towards them for taking that job.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

DJExile posted:

There were allegations of harassment and general creepiness around other staffers. Seemed to vanish as quick as it popped up though.

https://twitter.com/gifdsports/status/935019465942667269?s=21

I remember being on the Deadspin comments and there were a LOT of quickly deleted comments (including from starred commenter accounts which then lost their star) about a rape allegation, and then of course comments about how all talk of the rape allegation was covered up. NYTimes didn't hire Howard to just end up a met desk reporter, and he's been buried since.

So, something happened.

seiferguy posted:

Multiple Defector (and other ex-Deadspin) folks have publicly stated don't have an issue with the people who work at nu deadspin now. So I figure I ought to follow their lead, even if I don't read nu deadspin myself.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Howard's currently the "Director Of CEO Communications" at a jeans company so yeah

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Crazy Ted posted:

You can't "disseminate" an entire copyrighted work without the creator's permission even if you're providing constant commentary on it. If you could do that, every single notable sporting event on earth would be live-streamed in HD for free on Twitch and YouTube by random people and there'd legally be nothing sports leagues could do about it.

It’s the same reason Rifftrax weren’t able to sell their commentaries with the video, it would be wildly illegal even if they would be able to make a case about transforming the work

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Crazy Ted posted:

I still don’t get how Twitch streamers are able to play, say, a Vice YouTube video to an audience of tens of thousands.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Dinosaurs! posted:

I still don’t get how Twitch streamers are able to play, say, a Vice YouTube video to an audience of tens of thousands.
I know basically nothing about that, but in the case of streamers essentially too big to ignore broadcasting stuff like that if I was forced to make a guess it would be that Vice makes the choice to not do anything about it.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

It's exactly that, it's up to the rights holder/channel owner to DMCA you. There are some streamers so big they get paid to do the watchalongs, like TimTheTatman gets money from Amazon/NFL/Bud Light Seltzer to stream himself watching Thursday Night Football Presented By Bud Light Seltzer

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Very good Sally Jenkins column on the NCAA and loving over women's basketball. Unfortunately and unsurprisingly so many of the tactics used by the NCAA to gently caress over the women's game are the same you see from US Soccer in loving over the USWNT.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/BenMullin/status/1375402328455528454

countdown to athletic pivoting to video

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

That’s unfortunate, but not surprising. And LOL if the ripple effect of Facebook’s scuffed metrics claims another victim and they start sticking all those beat writers in front of a camera.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

the incredibly unfortunate side effect of taking so much VC early on is the expectation that the VC can make their money back. and this is how it happens. Sigh.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah I have very little faith this is going to turn out well for athletic as a product

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I don't care for this one bit.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
The Athletic has been really good. But yeah this was pretty inevitable.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/hemjhaveri/status/1375488035765301248

https://twitter.com/hemjhaveri/status/1375493806229970950

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Wow, pretty gutless move.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

can't see, her account is private.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Mr. Fix It posted:

can't see, her account is private.

Oh yeah she went private soon after that, here you go

https://awfulannouncing.com/newspapers/usa-today-race-inclusion-editor-says-she-was-fired-over-tweet-about-boulder-shooting.html

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/broadstbull/status/1376664236789743624?s=21

Sam Carchidi still a huge piece of poo poo

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/JoeAli/status/1378062343876308997

oh man :munch:

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
https://twitter.com/DianaMoskovitz/status/1380721204512706564

quote:

Football writer Aaron Wilson is no longer with the Houston Chronicle after he went on a Boston sports radio show and compared the women suing Deshaun Watson to terrorists, multiple sources told Defector on Friday.

The radio appearance was on The Greg Hill Show on WEEI on March 19. During the appearance, Wilson called the lawsuits “a money grab” and “ambulance chasing.” At one point during the conversation, when talking about the Watson case, he said, “In his case, you know, it’s kind of you don’t negotiate with terrorists. People are demanding money, they’re asking for money. It kept escalating, it kept going up and up and up. You’re talking about more and more funds, I’m not going to say how much it got to, but my understanding is, you know, that there was an admission that, it was, you know, something, you know just that this was, you know, just a money grab.”

Why is it always Boston

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Pretty sure Boston’s economy is 90% sports talk shows

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Because Boston sports fans eat up racism completely and utterly without shame or any sense of perspective.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Timby posted:

Because Boston sports fans eat up racism completely and utterly without shame or any sense of perspective.

I mean, defending the black sex predator would be misogyny not racism, no?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I mean, defending the black sex predator would be misogyny not racism, no?

it's okay, Boston sports fans eat that poo poo up too

(god I hate so many of us)

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
Speaking of Boston
https://twitter.com/DefectorMedia/status/1381676633531281415

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
Twitter really needs a Leper's Colony, so Jason Whitlock passed out can be listed as his reason:

https://www.theroot.com/white-america-s-favorite-honey-baked-ham-is-in-twitter-1846674618

dadjokes
Feb 9, 2015
I just don't understand where or how Simmons as a voice fits in the current media landscape. While I don't listen or watch SAS or Skip I can appreciate their art of trolling and takes. I also understand the sort of right wing/conservative local media sphere where I think there is an inherent ceiling to the potential audience for some one to gain a following as a big fish in a small pond kind of way. But who is the audience for Bill? Is it just an inertia thing?

I get that at one point he may have been ground breaking and I do think that he has/had a great eye for talent (I really enjoyed Grantland but checked out on the Ringer a few years ago) but who in 2021 is looking for a coded reference to sidenote 80's rockband?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

A lot of people

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Simmons storming the Capitol demanding that joe buck refers to Meat Balls 2 during a super bowl telecast.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Bill’s audience is Bill himself and a ton of other aging white sportswriters, fans, and talking heads with zero self awareness and a Spotify playlist full of Bruce Springsteen and U2

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

once you make it to the top of the podcast charts the sheer inertia will keep you there

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
yeah I mean people on the whole don't necessarily change their minds that often when it comes to stuff they like, lots of people got into him when they were 13 or whatever and have never gotten out of the habit.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I'm kinda embarrassed I bought Bill's basketball book.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
It’s a pretty entertaining book but I suspect one day in the near future it’s gonna be like proudly displaying your Ariel pink collection

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I'm kinda embarrassed I bought Bill's basketball book.

same, i read like half of it monumentally stoned in a barnes and noble in like 2010 and thought it was the greatest poo poo ever. now it gathers dust in my closet, eternally.

go read his pyramid entry on dirk nowitzki if you want to laugh, it's just nothing but complaining about how Dirk Can't Win The Big One and i think it came out literally the year or year before dirk Won The Big One.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
The weirdest thing about his basketball book was how much of it took place in other dimensions or alternate timelines. Huge chunks of it are chapters about what happens if teams draft differently, or make different trades, or close playoff series go the other way (spoiler: things turn out differently). For a book that he said he wrote because he really wanted to communicate how much he loved NBA basketball, the overall effect was to convince me that the NBA must really suck if the actual on-the-court history is so uninteresting that its self-proclaimed #1 fan spends most of his time writing fanfiction about parallel universe NBAs.