Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Didn’t the LA Times get rid of its Dodgers beat writer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
https://x.com/ByJackHarris/status/1754230859346092234?s=20

they rehired him after they realized what a colossal mistake that would be

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

habeasdorkus posted:

What's especially dumb is that newspapers that were basically profitable even if shrinking in market share got gobbled up by Gannett and Gannett's successors to be cored out so finance bros could do coke off of increasingly expensive prostitutes on increasingly large yachts.

McClatchey's management may be even worse. McClatchey didn't buy as many papers as Gannett, but hooo boy they might have strip mined even worse.

Facebook and digital coupons did a pretty big number on newspaper sales. Facebook replaced society pages.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Facebook and digital coupons did a pretty big number on newspaper sales. Facebook replaced society pages.

Digital coupons, job boards, craigslist/FB marketplace really took away probably the core reason so many people actually interacted with newspapers. For most, journalism was mostly window dressing.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Lockback posted:

Digital coupons, job boards, craigslist/FB marketplace really took away probably the core reason so many people actually interacted with newspapers. For most, journalism was mostly window dressing.

I dunno about this. Reading the paper was an every-morning activity, complete with swapping sections when people were done reading and stuff. I suppose this might not have been a typical experience.

My neighbor from back home still mails me clippings from the Boston Globe that she thinks I might find interesting periodically. :unsmith:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Lockback posted:

If not the core reason, certainly the core income stream. Having a near-monopoly on local advertising for certain things was a nice way to pay for the journalism.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

SI may not be dead after all

https://twitter.com/BenMullin/status/1769710587825520942?s=20

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Barbers around the country are celebrating.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

harperdc posted:

If not the core reason, certainly the core income stream. Having a near-monopoly on local advertising for certain things was a nice way to pay for the journalism.

It's always wild to pull up a digital archive of an old newspaper and see how much paper was dedicated to classifieds. I remember thumbing through newspapers as a kid too and just seeing how massive they were. Old New York Times weekend papers had so many pages of classifieds it was wild. It's also fun to look at the old papers and you could see how much money the newspapers had. A medium sized newspaper in a medium sized city might still send 8 reporters to Seoul or something for the 88 Olympics.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

soggybagel posted:

It's always wild to pull up a digital archive of an old newspaper and see how much paper was dedicated to classifieds.

Secondary sports section with four pages of content and 16 more of cars and boats for sale. Was wild. Sunday editions of The Oregonian with a stack of advertisement flyers and catalogs from all the big-box stores.

I even remember the magazines being enormous, the famous November/December issues of Electronic Gaming Monthly being 300+ pages back in 1999 or 2000. Enormous books.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Hobbyist magazines were crazy for ads. One of the ones I still subscribe to would have a single ad that stretched for six pages, three columns per page, and just a list of products and prices in like six point font. More a price list than an ad for anything. Now it is barely the size of a business card because how much space do you need to get someone to your website.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

apparently bill simmons has been filming himself walking through his fancy neighborhood yelling sports takes into his phone camera and imagining someone seeing him power walking while holding a selfie stick and yelling about the patriots is unbearably funny to me.
https://awfulannouncing.com/nfl/bill-simmons-super-cheap-patriots.html

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

R.D. Mangles posted:

apparently bill simmons has been filming himself walking through his fancy neighborhood yelling

I guess there were worse ways this sentence could end

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Algund Eenboom posted:

jesus christ lmao

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Algund Eenboom posted:

:laffo:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Algund Eenboom posted:

:thurman:

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Simmons hasn't lived in Boston for 20 years, why do his opinions on the Patriots matter anymore?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The X-man cometh posted:

Simmons hasn't lived in Boston for 20 years, why do his opinions on the Patriots matter anymore?

That's the tricky part. They don't, except to him.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
To be clear, you can have opinions about sports teams without actually living there, that's fine. You shouldn't care about Simmon's opinions because they are generally pretty terrible.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Because of course

https://twitter.com/josephfcox/status/1770805430479913248?s=20

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

lol

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
So it turns out the Kim Mulkey WaPo article she was freaking out about was a completely normal profile, and even the "harshest" parts largely cover stuff that was already a matter of public record. One of the underhanded journalistic tactics she objected to was "contacting her family to discuss things Mulkey wrote about in her autobiography"

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I don’t really follow NCAAB so I knew some of it but not all, and it’s a one stop shop for how awful she is. I bet she was mad, yeah.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

God that was an exquisite example of the Streisand Effect

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
That's not even like that bad of an article lol

It largely boils down to, didn't say poo poo about Griner, might not like queer people, and is a tough and structured coach to her players.

All poo poo that literally everyone knows already who follows WBB.

She literally brought more attention than it would ever receive because most people in that world know all this poo poo.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Dexo posted:

That's not even like that bad of an article lol

It largely boils down to, didn't say poo poo about Griner, might not like queer people, and is a tough and structured coach to her players.

All poo poo that literally everyone knows already who follows WBB.

She literally brought more attention than it would ever receive because most people in that world know all this poo poo.

Honestly makes her look worse for doing that which is ironic since she was so salty about it hurting her image

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

She had the same “hit piece” accusation about an article he wrote a couple years ago that was far more about what Brian Kelly was being paid in light of Louisiana’s poverty problems, as opposed to something about Brian himself.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

College coaches are petty and paranoid, news at 11

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

e: wt

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Big-shot college coach is an unpleasant hardass sometimes, stop the loving presses.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

guess this sums up what the plan is at si

https://x.com/rohannadkarni/status/1774856016754032672?s=46

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Defector needs to hire him

He goes on Drew and Roth’s podcast all the time

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

man that sounds like a fuckin awesome way to kill some time off

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

DJExile posted:

man that sounds like a fuckin awesome way to kill some time off

One of the new employee questions I got asked for our introductory email at my current job was "What would you do with 3 free hours?" and my response was that it was the perfect amount of time to watch Heat again. Several people Slacked me on the my first day to talk about how much they love that movie.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

I hear that Austin Butler is going to play Chris Shiherlis (Val Kilmer) in Heat 2 and I'm 110% on board with that after seeing him in Dune Part 2

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

He's gonna have a scene where he sticks his tongue out and tries to give himself a papercut with a stolen hundred dollar bill

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice

FlamingLiberal posted:

Defector needs to hire him

He goes on Drew and Roth’s podcast all the time

He can have his own column writing mainly about sandwiches

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Mr. Fix It posted:

I hear that Austin Butler is going to play Chris Shiherlis (Val Kilmer) in Heat 2 and I'm 110% on board with that after seeing him in Dune Part 2

Yeah, there's a short clip of him doing some range work with a racegun Glock and everybody was like "HEAT 2!!!!!!" and it can definitely work.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Sounds like SBNation is killing their podcasts:
https://x.com/scottcoleman55/status/1775963486784458846

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

I read so much SBNation material in its heyday. Vox has been so inept at handling that platform for years. Jon Bois may be the only thing keeping them afloat at this point.