Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Badfinger posted:

After reading that, it has become apparent to me that I don't know anything about anything and I never will because the universe is too weird.

Without even reading the article, I can tell you that Twitter is loving terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
Somehow it never occurred to me that all of those awful parody accounts were in some way intended to make money

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Zeeman posted:

Somehow it never occurred to me that all of those awful parody accounts were in some way intended to make money

Same here (even though its really obvious once pointed out). I guess I should really remember Rule #1 in life: The reason anyone does anything ever is to make money.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
It's not really surprising how quickly this whole thing got creepy. Do we really need home ambushes and high school yearbook photos?

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

morestuff posted:

It's not really surprising how quickly this whole thing got creepy. Do we really need home ambushes and high school yearbook photos?

You're talking about a website that regularly assembles its "I-Team" to gather personal information about random people who happen to attend sporting events and are also attractive women. I used to love Deadspin, but it really skeeves me out now.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

haljordan posted:

You're talking about a website that regularly assembles its "I-Team" to gather personal information about random people who happen to attend sporting events and are also attractive women. I used to love Deadspin, but it really skeeves me out now.

I actually think Deadspin's coverage has been fine — they tried to dissuade people from the weird vigilante justice in one of their updates. Awful Announcing has the yearbook photos/Twitter-sourced details from the girl's school days.

swizz
Oct 10, 2004

I can recall being broke with some friends in Tennessee and deciding to have a party and being able to afford only two-fifths of a $1.75 bourbon called Two Natural, whose label showed dice coming up 5 and 2. Its taste was memorable. The psychological effect was also notable.
I don't really have a problem with cutting through this girl's veil of bullshit and dragging her true identity out into the open via extrinsic evidence. That's what should happen to a scammer that attempts to hide behind a cloak of misdirection or anonymity. Showing up at her house is way, way too far though.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

swizz posted:

I don't really have a problem with cutting through this girl's veil of bullshit and dragging her true identity out into the open via extrinsic evidence. That's what should happen to a scammer that attempts to hide behind a cloak of misdirection or anonymity. Showing up at her house is way, way too far though.

Exposing crimes or fleshing out a story with pertinent details is fine. Writing articles about how she played soccer in high school and used to play poker at @Keendra23's house is boring, pointless and a little skeevy.

swizz
Oct 10, 2004

I can recall being broke with some friends in Tennessee and deciding to have a party and being able to afford only two-fifths of a $1.75 bourbon called Two Natural, whose label showed dice coming up 5 and 2. Its taste was memorable. The psychological effect was also notable.
I do not see that sort of information on Deadspin but it is possible that I am inadvertently overlooking it somehow

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

swizz posted:

I do not see that sort of information on Deadspin but it is possible that I am inadvertently overlooking it somehow

Not Deadspin.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
I wonder how much mainstream traction this story is going to get (publications like USA Today and the NY Daily News both have links up for it already) given the internet-related absurdity involved in this story. I want to see a trashy news magazine like Inside Edition attempting to explain what a fake twitter account is.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

hcreight posted:

I wonder how much mainstream traction this story is going to get (publications like USA Today and the NY Daily News both have links up for it already) given the internet-related absurdity involved in this story. I want to see a trashy news magazine like Inside Edition attempting to explain what a fake twitter account is.
We'll see, I hadn't heard about it until I saw the name Sarah Phillips showing up on Twitter myself. The story is still ongoing, so it's hard to tell.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

FlamingLiberal posted:

We'll see, I hadn't heard about it until I saw the name Sarah Phillips showing up on Twitter myself.

Whole thing is an elaborate scam to drum up publicity for Sarah Phillips/ESPN Playbook :tinfoil:

swizz
Oct 10, 2004

morestuff posted:

Not Deadspin.

Ohhh I see. Thanks for the link, morestuff.

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE
How do those parody accounts make any money when there's no personal advertising on Twitter yet? Are they just prepping for when it does go public?

Or I guess they could link to their websites that have ads but I don't follow any parody accounts so I dunno if they do that.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

BackInTheUSSR posted:

How do those parody accounts make any money when there's no personal advertising on Twitter yet? Are they just prepping for when it does go public?

Sponsored tweets are one way.

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE
But everyone who buys Sponsored Tweets owns a business or sells an item. NotBillWalton and all those just post stupid jokes all day. What's the money-making item? Am I missing something here and being naive?

A large farva
Sep 5, 2006

Ramrod XTreme
They can sponsor or advertise content to all their followers by saying 'hey check out this funny link' in between their content tweets. People think they aren't sponsored, but are behind closed doors.

It's the same scam that clubs in LA tried to pull in the early days of myspace. They would hire models to get as many guys to friend them, and then would say 'I'm going to this club' to all those guys.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Lost in the midst of all of the Sarah Phillips hoopla is that Joe Cowley of the Chicago Sun-Times has essentially been put on permanent Zero Tolerance after a series of spectacularly sexist Twitter tirades he went in within the last couple of weeks.

Bizob
Dec 18, 2004

Tiger out of nowhere!

Crazy Ted posted:

Lost in the midst of all of the Sarah Phillips hoopla is that Joe Cowley of the Chicago Sun-Times has essentially been put on permanent Zero Tolerance after a series of spectacularly sexist Twitter tirades he went in within the last couple of weeks.

but who will warn us of the danger of chick pilots and ugly flight attendants? :911:

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Bizob posted:

but who will warn us of the danger of chick pilots and ugly flight attendants? :911:
Of course he made the mistake of thinking that deleting his Twitter account would magically make it look like he never said any of the things he said.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Only appropriate after handling Ozzie Guillen's cock for the past few years.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

quote:

A graduate of Kent State University, Cowley joined the Sun-Times in 2006 from the Daily Southtown, where he started in 1998. Named sports columnist in 2010, he’s been called “the new Jay Mariotti,” for his provocative and, at times, antagonistic style. Cowley also is a contributor to CBS Radio sports/talk WSCR-AM (670).

He's also like Jay Mariotti in the sense that he probably beats women as well.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden

Crazy Ted posted:

How he did not get fired over all that is utterly disgraceful.

A large farva
Sep 5, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

Breaking the law is often not included in fire-able offenses this is Chicago after all.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

The article I read made it sound like they were considering firing him but backed off due to fear of a union-backed lawsuit.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Crazy Ted posted:

Of course he made the mistake of thinking that deleting his Twitter account would magically make it look like he never said any of the things he said.

The report I read said that the paper ordered Cowley to delete his Twitter, not that it was his decision. Not that this makes him any less of an idiot.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

Especially considering how many actually-good people have lost their jobs at CST in the past few years.

But, that paper's turned into such a shitrag that while I'd like to be surprised, I'm not.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
I'm sure it's been discussed already and I just lost it in the twitter talk, but that Chipmunks article on Grantland was really really neat.

Brotax
Jul 29, 2006

He's Mr. White Christmas.

He's Mr. Snow.
The world of Twitter is way weirder than I ever expected. I never thought I'd be reading articles about that girl who did Junk Mail for, like, 3 weeks, but here we are.

I only joined Twitter to get updates about the White Sox and Arby's coupons. So far, only one of those has actually happened.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

She is now trying to come clean but is still completely full of poo poo: http://deadspin.com/5906849/sarah-phillips-admits-she-concealed-her-identity-made-poor-choices-with-who-to-trust

And apparently she's been scamming people out of their twitter accounts for some time as well http://nilsenreport.ca/2012/05/01/former-espn-columnist-sarah-phillips-exposed/

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

That Nilsen guy and the other dudes that got scammed by her are 100% total loving morons who would've eventually been parted from their possessions by somebody else anyway

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

stuart scott irl posted:

That Nilsen guy and the other dudes that got scammed by her are 100% total loving morons who would've eventually been parted from their possessions by somebody else anyway

While I do agree with that it is still amazing that espn is still so incompetent at dealing with the Internet that they hired her. She's basically a front for her Indian scammer boyfriend it would seem. It's all an incredible clusterfuck.

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

I don't know, freelancers get hired all the time without face-to-face meetings or background checks any more thorough than reading previous work. That part doesn't really surprise me that much.

Brotax
Jul 29, 2006

He's Mr. Snow.

Henry Meowlins posted:

While I do agree with that it is still amazing that espn is still so incompetent at dealing with the Internet that they hired her. She's basically a front for her Indian scammer boyfriend it would seem. It's all an incredible clusterfuck.

She was just a freelancer, though. They still didn't consider her part of the ESPN.com staff. Now if this was someone like Bill Simmons or that Uni Watch guy, there'd probably be more blame placed on ESPN.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Brotax posted:

She was just a freelancer, though. They still didn't consider her part of the ESPN.com staff. Now if this was someone like Bill Simmons or that Uni Watch guy, there'd probably be more blame placed on ESPN.

I'm all for anything that would get Bill Simmons fired/executed/deported to Guam.

Brotax
Jul 29, 2006

He's Mr. Snow.

haljordan posted:

I'm all for anything that would get Bill Simmons fired/executed/deported to Guam.

"Bill Simmons is Sarah Phillips" would truly be the greatest thing to ever happen.

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE
I didn't know people still hated Bill Simmons. I thought we had come full circle on him. He's good at his job, doesn't try to reach outside his homerism niche and is responsible for Grantland, which I really like. Of all the ESPN columnists he takes himself the least seriously and generally speaks for the reactionary passionate casual fan. He's also a self-aware Boston fan, which is nice, and he's come around to sabermetrics recently so he's not spouting off bullshit about hustle and Kevin Millar and cowboy up anymore. He's harmless, and the worst thing he ever did was that 30 for 30 about the 04 ALCS.

The lack of a background check makes sense with Phillips only in that I can 100% understand a scenario where Lynn Hoppes really needed an attractive woman who was an at least halfway-competent writer and he struck gold and pulled the trigger. In such a backwoods niche bullshit corner of ESPN, I think the guy has free rein to be his pervy, action-figure obsessed self with little influence or double-checking from the higher ups.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

stuart scott irl posted:

I don't know, freelancers get hired all the time without face-to-face meetings or background checks any more thorough than reading previous work. That part doesn't really surprise me that much.

This is very true. I work almost exclusively as a freelance writer, and I can't recall the last client I actually met in person or spoke to on the phone - and while that includes a lot of individuals who just wanted content for their websites, there's at least one major media corporation included in that, too. That's not to say that this is a particularly smart way of doing things, just that it's the way things are done at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden

stuart scott irl posted:

This is very true but we as a society like to prevent stupid people from harming themselves so often, using laws.

The thing that gets to me about the Sarah Phillips story re: freelance work is that she had a "spotless" online reputation when she was hired. It is very risky to just go by the Internet when looking for online writers.

...or commenting on a message board. :ninja: