Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Is there a highlight real of Jason Whitlock's meltdown on the internet somewhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
It is called a joke

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
morestuff, I forgot, that was the reason I came in this thread. He sabotaged Craggs twice on that grantland thing, once about a month ago
http://deadspin.com/5796720/an-exclusive-interview-with-tommy-craggs-about-the-bill-simmons-grantland-project

quote:

As huge a loss it will be for this site — and me personally — it would be incredibly foolish for ESPN to overlook him again. I've also been told — by sources close to the situation who don't work for this site in any capacity — that writing about this silly Disney corporate horseshit prior to Tommy's play date with Walsh would further jeopardize his opportunity to become a full-time staffer at Grantland. For now, though, he still works at Deadspin and I still work at Deadspin and this is a story we'd cover had any other potential Grantland writer become entangled in such stupidity.
what a dick (like we did not already know)

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Yea that Mike Silver twitter tantrum was horrible. It is almost like the Panthers are actually trying to accomplish improving in practice rather than be media buddies. They were only the worst team in the league last year, don't they know letting some douchebag from the Charlotte Observer interview them is more important than actually practicing.

Seriously, what a complaint. WAAAAA THE PLAYERS ARE TRYING TO GET BETTER INSTEAD OF PLAYING THE MEDIA GAME WHAAAAAAAAAA

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I was pretty excited about Grantland because I have always felt long form sports journalism needed a stronger foothold on the internet. So far I am really enjoying most of the content.

The article about sports on a DVR is spot on. I simply cannot watch sports if they are not live. I DVR NBA games all the time but never watch them if it is not live. My dad does a hybrid version of recording, he has it down where he will record the game and then start watching from when the 1st quarter is actually ending* and he has it timed so he can skip commericals and catch up to the game being live with about 8 minutes left. I cannot even do that. I never thought about it, but that point about the commercials upping the drama is spot on. On the rare times I have to DVR a game I go to insane extremes to not find out the score. It is just flat out impossible unless you watch it right when you wake up or something.

*or whenever the correct time is.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Everyone stay off Ribsauce's lawn.

Seriously though, the joy of being able to watch two football games in the same span it takes to watch one live, while both games are being played, far outweighs any of the negatives. My wife is a Steelers fan, we watch the start of the game live until the first commercial break, then pause it. Then, if the Raiders are playing, I'll have had that game on the other tuner. Switch to that game, watch it until we catch up to live and the first live commercial, pause, switch back. loving awesome. I do admit, you have to sort of blur your vision to the ticker and do a "la la la, I can't hear you" when they switch for a highlight, but it still works out most of the time.

I would consider that advanced channel surfing, totally different than recording the game and watching it the next day. For example, what if the Raiders and Steelers were playing at the same time? Would it be the same to you if you recorded the Raiders and then watched it after the Steelers game even if you did not know the outcome (which is impossible with the score ticker and in game breakins, but lets pretend). I would imagine you would not want to do that, which is what I am talking about.

Ribsauce fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jun 9, 2011

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I hope they don't add them. User comments are worthless, I have never seen a website improved by them. I hate them because even though I know they will be horrible I can't not click on them.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I was going to post that deadspin article yesterday. They are so jealous you can just feel the hatred. They have to be angry so far Grantland has turned out to be awesome, totally surpassing my expectations (which were high as I will admit I actually enjoy Bill Simmons). They even have the humblebrag guy!

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Groucho Marxist posted:

Deadspin actually did a good thing and wrote up a piece on how sports teams cook their books to look like they're losing money.

http://deadspin.com/5816870/
I still don't get the "losses on players contracts" line item. I get that somehow it is apparently a tax purpose loss, but why would it be on their GAAP financials? I skimmed the entire financial statement and did not see an explaining note. If that is just a paper loss like depreciation expense why is it not added back on the cash flow statement? Maybe I am missing something obvious, I don't know, but the explanation seems lacking to me. I only looked at it a few minutes so I could have missed something as well.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Colin Cowherd being a legitmate creep on his national ESPN show.

http://deadspin.com/5885390/kate-upton-hangs-up-on-colin-cowherd-after-he-asks-what-shes-wearing-how-much-she-gets-paid

"How many guys ask you out Kate, how many guys ask you out?"
"Are you in sweat pants now?"

Darren Rovell, who is probably a monster creep, also creeping on her hard
http://deadspin.com/5885065/darren-rovell-gets-on-one-knee-asks-kate-upton-to-be-his-valentine-is-rejected

Another great thing Darren Rovell did, blast the Playboy Super Bowl party for having girls who were not hot enough and then yelling at a girl who wouldn't take a picture with him "not even for 175,000 twitter followers?"

Ahhh, media figures

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Also used so many dog whistle racial terms when John Wall had the audacity to do the Dougie that Rush Limbaugh had to stand up and salute his radio.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I agree with you about the grind. Take Schefter for example. Of course, he is an outlier, I honestly think he is the hardest working reporter at ESPN if not in the entire country, at least when limited to sports. I swear when I wake up he has already tweeted his first news item of the day, then he is on about 19 different shows at ESPN and he is still tweeting news when I go to sleep. Still, it used to be you had to write your column every other day and that was it. Now you have to tweet, you need to call 14 different radio shows, if you are newspaper only you will never break a story and why would anyone talk to you when they can talk to one of the 10 ESPN /Yahoo guys who reach an entire country.

The no one will go to your paper's website to read your actual column anyway, why do that when someone will tweet or Deadspin will post the 3 sentences summarizing it if you actually wrote anything important?

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

haljordan posted:

You know he had two versions of the article written: One to blast James for not taking the shot and therefore not being a winner and one for if he had taken the shot and therefore being a selfish glory hound.

Na the second one was "See, LeBron only shines where it doesn't matter, like the All Star Game"

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I don't watch ESPN outside of actual sports (and 30/30 sometimes) but did Leach's Washington State behavior receive anywhere near the same coverage?

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Oh well, one black guy at ESPN listened to it, that is good enough for me. How could I have ever thought it was inappropriate?

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I think it was in the NFL media thread, but there was a discussion about how what is really killing them is Twitter. I love Schefter, he breaks as many stories as anyone not named Jay Glazer, except with the bonus you don't have to read 284 MMA tweets a day. 15 years ago I would have had to watch ESPN for 30 minutes until his studio hit came up and I could find out who signed with what team that day, now I can hop on twitter and get it all in 2 minutes, right when I want it. Same with the NBA, in 2 minutes of Woj's twitter feed I can find out more than I can watching ESPN for an entire hour long Sportscenter. Hell, I don't even have to go to ESPN.com anymore. If Schefter says "Peyton Manning signs with Broncos, link to story: espn.com/whocares" the link is going unclicked. I do not need any more information than he gave me in 1 sentence.

The other big thing you got 15 years ago were highlights. Now I can go to youtube and see LeBron James leap over 3 guys and unleash a chaos dunk 5 minutes after it happens. I don't need to watch 15 minutes of coverage for a sport I don't care about (example baseball) to get to the Top 10.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Crazy Ted posted:

Those napalmed bridges might be springing back up...

quote:

“If the move to Olbermann is made, it could blunt the buzz Fox hopes to generate with its August launch of Fox Sports 1. This could be the first shot in an all-sports cable TV war,” the newspaper speculates.

Who the hell now says "Well goddamn, if only Olbermann could get a highlights show again, I'd watch that!" The guy is a joke now. What (positive) buzz is he going to generate?

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Hockey will never be as popular as other sports for a few reasons. The biggest stars still only play about 1/3rd of the game. You can't really tell who is who except for the numbers because everyone is covered up. I know everyone is covered up in football to, but you can tell a wide receiver from a running back because the play keeps resetting so you can follow them by where they line up. If you want to watch Calvin Johnson you have 45 seconds to find him before every play. You can go see a Capitals game to see Ovechkin and spend the entire game saying "is he on the ice? Which one is he?" Any other sport you know who is who. You go see LeBron, you don't spend 40% of the game watching Chalmers thinking he is LeBron while LeBron is on the other side of the court.

And, as my dad who is born and raised in the south, put it: "I will pay 20 dollars for our family to go watch something I don't understand, but I will not pay 200 dollars to do it"

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

quote:

More than any other reason, the WNBA falters because it's a winter sport played in the summer.

yep, that is the reason

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
ESPN better not stop Whitlock's anti NCAA columns, which I enjoy more than any other sports commentary. Who am I kidding, the columns he is allowed to write at Fox Sports are done. They will never give him that leeway at ESPN.

gently caress

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Rick Reilly actually wrote a pretty good article about the madness that is the NCAA policy on autographs and how colleges are now basically going to stop people from getting players' autographs altogether in some cases because they're so paranoid about eligibility issues. He also found an expert who pointed out that Jadaveon Clowney was probably paid for some of the autographs he's signed, despite South Carolina saying otherwise.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9567169/rick-reilly-ncaa-autographs

I wish it didn't take a white kid from a rich family getting in trouble for the mainstream media to go at the NCAA. Where was this when Dez Byrant was suspended lying about something which was not even a violation? A 20 year old kid gets in a room with a bunch of lawyers intent on getting him in trouble, gets grilled for 9 hours, gets scared, tells a lie, and they take his season plus probably cost him 10 million dollars? Now that deserves 10 times the outrage of this Manziel thing. At least he actually broke a real rule (which I disagree with).

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
http://deadspin.com/espn-whitlocks-thayer-evans-comments-not-acceptable-1300137905

http://www.shermanreport.com/whitlock-at-odds-with-espn-media-policy-with-comments-about-evans/

gently caress, ESPN just eliminated my favorite part of my favorite sports writer, Jason Whitlock

quote:

ESPN has media policies in place about how its employees should address the competition. As in they really aren’t supposed to comment or criticize other media.

However, they are allowed to weigh in if it warrants discussing media coverage of a particular story. Even then, they are asked to follow certain guidelines.

The policy contains this line: ”Comments must not be personal, vicious, dismissive…No cheap shots.”

And then there’s this: “No personal attacks or innuendo toward people, media companies, networks or publications.”

I love when he unloads on garbage reporters. I am going to miss him calling Charles Robinson at yahoo! a slave catcher. I was afraid ESPN was going to ruin everything I love about him, next he won't be allowed to attack the NCAA anymore :suicide:

PS don't bother making fun of me for liking Whitlock. I already know everyone else hates him

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

I looked at a few of the replies and by far the most annoying is the concept this is "illegal cash." It is not illegal, it is against the NCAA rules. If my job had a rule I couldn't drink a beer after work, and I did, that is not illegal. It is against the rules of my employment sure, but I cannot be arrested for it. There is nothing illegal about someone paying you 100 bucks an hour to wash a car. It is against some (bullshit) rules regarding your scholarship, but again, it is not illegal.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Akileese posted:

This is how I feel about him. He can be absolutely fantastic when he wants to be but holy poo poo he's just way too paranoid and insecure to have any sort of meaningful legacy.

I really like Whitlock. When he is fired up about something he is fantastic. His podcast is usually really good. I especially enjoy when he gets into a reporter's history and how they started. Sometimes he has some off the wall podcasts like his barber Big Deuce and him discussing Tim Tebow (probably the greatest podcast episode ever recorded), his 35 minute rant about the NCAA, etc. His twitter account is great. I like about 80% of his stuff, but the other 20%; holy god does he write some atrocious columns. His LeBron Game of Thrones column he dropped today is an example of the 20%. When he really tackles something, he does it as good as anyone. He is one of the few sportswriters who has really changed my mind on something based on his columns.

I have no idea why ESPN thought he could run his own website. He is a talent but if you look at his history I don't see how you think he could run anything. He hasn't just burned bridges everywhere he left, he detonated nuclear bombs on them. His not giving a gently caress trait is also what sometimes makes him great. As far as I can tell, he was the first, and maybe only, national media member to attack Charles Robinson's Miami fairy tale from day one. He destroyed those hit pieces. Hell, he attacked Thayer Evans so hard over the OSU stories he was suspended from Twitter by ESPN before he even wrote his first article there!

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Raleigh's local afternoon show, Adam Gold and Joe Ovies, is actually pretty good compared to pretty much any other local sports radio I have heard. I used to listen to radio streams from random cities a lot and I really do think this local show is a lot better than what most other cities have.

Howard Stern is the greatest of all time

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Those fans do have a point, how could the Heat have won game 6 two years ago without being carried to victory by their rabid fans?

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Hearing #Munich tickets sales have drastically slowed, IOC worried impact could be up to 20 million dollars #olympics

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Outside Louis XIV's #court, his #courtesans are 7s at best, #weakparty, #sunking's brand is clearly faltering

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Sometimes the reasons things continue to happen is no one ever talks about them. If people who hit a girlfriend/spouse/whatever spoke about how horrible it was to do, how much they regret it, the pain it caused, and so on, instead of just never mentioning it again, others would realize the implications of such an action.

I would have to hear the Kellerman audio to know for sure, but the impression I got is he said it in the context of "look, I did this once 20 years ago, it was not a good thing" and if that is the case the suspension is garbage. If there was an open air discussion about how bad domestic violence is maybe a few 15 year olds would learn something from it and one day down the line not strike a partner when otherwise they would have.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I know what soggy bagel means, I wouldn't want to see an article about Israel and the Gaza Strip on Grantland, no matter how well written it was.

edit

This is not a reflection or complaint about the article itself, I read it and I have no complaints

Ribsauce fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Aug 15, 2014

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Politicalrancor posted:

you got real life issues in my sports and pop culture!

I can go to The Atlantic for that poo poo. Would you want to hear a gun control debate during the 3rd quarter of Monday Night Football?

Current events and politics does not have to be discussed in every aspect of life. Take a break once in a while.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Haters gonna hate, but I look forward to thank you for not coaching every week.

Also, one of my favorite annual traditions is Barnwell losing it over a kicker getting a big contract.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

Google says Wolf Blitzer makes $2 million a year and I feel pretty confident he's a lot more visible than Bill Simmons. $3 million is a lot of money, I'm shocked a more-or-less only internet journalist is bringing in 7 figures.
He is way more than an "internet journalist" now. He was one of the main creators of 30 for 30, he is the the main guy on their NBA Pre/Post shows, he is the executive editor of Grantland, his podcast is the number 1 sports podcast, umm, he probably does other stuff I forgot. His columns are probably the 3rd or 4th most important thing he does at this point in his career. i know most people hate him, but that is a lot of great contributions to sports media right there So what if he acts like a baby sometimes, every creative person does.

If he leaves, I hope he takes ESPN Whitlock with him so he can be Fox Sports Whitlock again. ESPN Whitlock sucks

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

MourningView posted:

Every version of Whitlock ever has sucked

Not the version that annihilates crappy "journalists" like Charles Robinson and has his barber on his podcast to talk poo poo about Tebow for an hour. His podcast at Fox News was on fire. Easily my favorite sports podcast. At ESPN he does like one a month, and while it is still good, it is not the same. He will never have a groupie on to talk about getting paid by athletes again. Too bad, Whitlock ruled.

The first time he insulted a journalist at ESPN (the bullshit Oklahoma State hit piece) he had to apologize and has never tweeted anything controversial since :(

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

joepinetree posted:

Which means that if Goodell goes on Simmons podcast, Simmons will not only stop criticizing him, but will become his biggest defender.

Simmons shat on Stern like a million times despite those interviews.

Any media member who sends a player a gift for ending another player's career because the player made his job hard is a piece of garbage. What a piece of poo poo.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
What is ESPN doing with my man Jason Whitlock? Where is his podcast? Does he have to send each tweet through HR now?

Is there any update with his site? He occasionally writes a front page article and that is it. At Fox Sports he was on fire, banging out 3 columns a week, killing lovely journalists on twitter (my favorite part of him), putting out awesome podcasts (actually, this was my favorite part). Now he writes 1 article every 2 weeks and doesn't do anything else. It is terrible. Let him go. #freeWhitlock

(yes I know everyone but me hates him)

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

howe_sam posted:

There was an in-depth piece on Deadspin several months back by Greg Howard, who was courted by Whitlock to write for him, about Whitlock and why his site hasn't launched.

I read it. Honestly, I don't believe anything Deadspin posts so I took it with a grain of salt. Most reporters (except the yahoo! crew) seem to like Whitlock.

Besides, I don't care about this "black Grantland." I just want Real Talk back.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

MourningView posted:

That is a common phrase and anyone trying to make a bigger deal out of it than that is going out of their way to be offended about something, or just wants to poo poo on Peter King for the sake of making GBS threads on Peter King.

Umm, that is pretty much the internet now. Take a poorly phrased comment, project a meaning onto it to make it offensive, blow it out of proportion, then you get to feel smug because you are more enlightened than someone else.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

xbilkis posted:

Even if you can get to the point where you dismiss his outlook on race as well-intentioned but misinformed (like I think most people do with Barkley), he also has 0 redeeming qualities in any of his other "areas of expertise," so...

He was loving awesome at Foxsports. His Fox Sports podcast was my favorite podcast by far. It was off the chain. He has escorts who hosed athletes on it, his barber to insult Tim Tebow for an hour straight (Mike Irvin on that horse lookin' like he just ate a Jelly Donut), one time he just went on a 45 minute anti NCAA rant that was better than any other anti NCAA rant I ever read. He was on fire at Fox Sports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Niwrad posted:

It's also amazing that ESPN thought Whitlock could handle this. Never been a huge fan but he had his moments in the past as a writer. But he's a huge narcissist and that seems like an issue when you're in charge of other people.

A lot of this could have been said about Bill Simmons also and he is doing a great job at Grantland (to put it mildly). I bet ESPN saw how awesome Grantland is and figured if a narcissist like Simmons could do it, then Big Sexy could to. Bad judgement call.