Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

stuart scott irl posted:

Bill Conlin, noted grizzled old rear end in a top hat, guy who wrote this and this and various other pieces of crap, is resigning and hiring a lawyer because the Inquirer is supposedly about to drop a bombshell about him and child molestation. So there's that.

edit: actually that first one isn't that bad but there are plenty more examples of him being awful

Bill "If Hitler were alive I'm pretty sure he'd kill all bloggers" Conlin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

Moose Bigelow posted:

Bill "Nolan Ryan and Robin Yount aren't first ballot Hall of Famers" Conlin

Bill "I'm surprised that guy (named Raul) would leave the blueberry harvest to send that email." Conlin.

fakedit: some of the rural areas outside of Philly are used to farm crops like mushrooms and blueberries; the harvest workers are predominantly Hispanic migrant laborers.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

barkingclam posted:

My favorite sportswriter twitter moment of the weekend was Buzz Bissenger flipping out over Jeremy Lin and saying that jews run the world.

I thought Bissenger was Jewish?

edit: Yes, he is.

Redgrendel2001 fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Feb 14, 2012

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

barkingclam posted:

He said it here and a few other times, too.

What a moron.

:ughh:

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Jummy posted:

I thought this was a really good read on the subject and how the person who wrote the original story seems like a pretty big piece of poo poo.

http://mariadahvanaheadley.wordpress.com/2014/01/18/sinatras-cold-is-contagious-hostile-subjects-vulnerable-sources-the-ethics-of-outing/

That's a poorly-written article; it's really not much more than a hit piece.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

ayn rand hand job posted:

WEEI'S implosion is amazing to watch in a car crash in slow motion sort of thing.

I think that's pretty good description of the decade-long decline of Boston sports media.

When you make NYC and Philly sports media culture look sane/good that's a problem.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Groucho Marxist posted:

There was no rule in the book that said a dog couldn't play basketball.

Air Bud 6 is a seminal moment in Western civilization.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

morestuff posted:

And it's not like they've dramatically shifted their focus, either. It's a one-off article that a lot of people, especially people in their demo, care about.

They do these kind of one-offs every now and then when something big pops up. Simmons has always emphasized the sport/culture combo; it's part of his schtick; this just stands out as one of the 10% of stories that isn't pop culture-oriented.

And it's also a pretty drat good article by one of their better contributors who's present at a significant event.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Benne posted:

I'm not sure anything will top ESPN making Pedro Gomez follow Bonds around like a lost puppy for a good three years.

The Ahmad Rashad relationship with Michael Jordan pretty much was fellatio.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Politicalrancor posted:

also they are unenforceable in a number of states, including California. Is that where he lives now? idk

He lives in LA. Not sure if this would be state or federal issue though.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Lockback posted:

I want to know so bad what he means by "go public". Either he burns ESPN or himself and I love it either way.

I think he meant that he would publicly call out whoever was giving him poo poo for his comments about Goodell.

edit: another suspension disparity. someone on twitter pointed out that ESPN suspended Sean Salisbury for just a week after he got busted for indecent exposure. Evidenrly Simmons should have just whipped it out in front of Goodell.

Redgrendel2001 fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Sep 25, 2014

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Jay Carney posted:

I work for the same corporate family as Simmons and our standards/corporate policy are written so arcanely that they could nail you for wiping your rear end the wrong way so I'm guessing this is the tip of the iceberg and Simmons went to war with his bosses behind the scenes and lost and this was used to partially justify the punishment.

He's had an ongoing battle with them about "standards" for a long time, but I wonder how much of a role the NFL had in the suspension.

Sidenote: The /r/NFL portion of a certain other website spent all of yesterday deleting any thread mention this story :tinfoil:

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Kibner posted:

Certainly not the best SI article I have read, but I did like this one talking about Gia Allemand's suicide and the way it affected her boyfriend Ryan Anderson.

https://www.si.com/nba/2014/11/13/ryan-anderson-gia-allemand

Pro-read. I would advise not to read it at work though.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Curling is basically an excuse for fans and players to both drink before, during, and after a match.

It's basically Canadian NASCAR.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Politicalrancor posted:

It certainly was interesting that the piece tries to paint ESPN as a journalistically and ethically consistent enterprise, especially for a deadspin writer.

It was written by Kevin Draper, who writes for Deadspin. Same guy who wrote that story on old tweets by NBA players.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Nerdfest X posted:

Less a wrestler, and more Jimmy "The Mouth of the South" Hart.

Going with this analogy, I could see Barkley as George "The Animal" Steele.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Crazy Ted posted:

A shower of cocaine from the rafters.

What do you think Lebron's chalk clap has been?

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Frackie Robinson posted:

No joke, the first I ever heard of Dollar Shave Club was on Norm MacDonald's podcast and I thought for sure it was a gag.

I used to watch the guy who runs it try to light his farts on fire in high school.

What I'm trying to say is that it would be an appropriate sponsor.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Parlett316 posted:

Schilling's List

:golfclap:

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Crazy Ted posted:

Also for non-obvious reasons, like "fans would climb up the cage and shake the poo poo out of it so it would cause the hoop to move around a bit on the visiting team" reasons.

Sounds like a reason to keep the cage if anything.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Debate & Discussion is discovering the magic of Whitlock for the first time after he wrote something re: the Missouri controversies.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

DOOP posted:

link pls

USPol thread or the poop Swastika thread right around the time when I posted.

IIRC one goon said " I don't know who this guy is, but I think he's a black separatist."

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

ESPN has lost 7 million subscribers in the last two years according to Disney.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Anals of History posted:

Central components to a Whitlock column: self-loathing, misogyny, faux philosophy, race counterfactuals, Wire references...what are we missing here?

Petulant sniping at peers and former colleagues.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

howe_sam posted:

It was a a little discombobulating to hear Wambach to be all "gently caress FieldTurf, it causes cancer! :tinfoil:" and then be totally blasé about the down the road risks of concussions/CTE.

There are some other interesting parts of the interview.

quote:

"The way that he has brought in a bunch of these foreign guys is not something I believe in wholeheartedly. I don't believe in it. I don't believe in it in my heart."

Redgrendel2001 fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Dec 17, 2015

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

I could care less about NCAA football, but that's a really good piece.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

In your defence, they both hosted the same late night show and are named Craig. The major difference of course, is that Ferguson is charming as gently caress, and Kilborn is the polar opposite. Dude lost his gig hosting the Daily Show to Jon Stewart by implying the Executive Producer of the show wanted to suck his cock

Check out this interview from the LA Times, in which Kilborn agreed to be interviewed on the condition that he conduct the interview.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/tv/la-ca-st-craig-kilborn-interview-20151115-story.html

quote:

As an 8-year-old my father and I would wear matching cardigans and watch "Firing Line" with the legendary William F. Buckley Jr. Ever since then I've preferred my politics from full-time intellectual pundits, not my fellow man, or worse, a misguided co-worker.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

KFBR392 posted:

Yeah yeah yeah, sure. Good simple and crisp statement. Idea sounds good and just.

But when every concert ticket sells for "45" and goes on the market for "400," and the owners mostly received such tickets through institutional advantages or weird back channel arrangements, do you not see even a little bit of a possible correction to be made?

Btw I'm not sure if you're up on current legal stuff but tickets aren't necessarily property in the way you're thinking.

:rolleyes: personal seat licenses then.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

chunkles posted:

I'm more worried about what "liver coverage" means. Is organ harvesting going to be a new sport in the Olympics?

Soylent Gold.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

MourningView posted:

they're right

In the way that only people who exploit date rape can be?

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Crazy Ted posted:

Wait how did we get from Sam Hinkle to date Rape?

'gently caress Deadspin', in my mind at least, came into being after reading that father's emails begging them to take down video footage of his overwhelmingly intoxicated daughter being nailed by a bunch of frat boys in a bar bathroom.

The email correspondence in response from DS was what you would expect if you saw the Hogan testimony, personnel changes be damned.

It's a bunch of toxic people who can't even troll properly, e.g. doubling down on Hinkie hate when it's irrational.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

No, he's absolutely that stupid

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

https://twitter.com/WhitlockJason/status/785137919744815104

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

AsInHowe posted:

Also, Grantland was visually friendly, while The Ringer is harsh to read. The color schemes and design make a difference, The Ringer's black and bright green is very jarring.

It's really bad visually.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

He has doubled/tripled/quadrupled and more down on this sentiment. It's amazing.

He's literally fighting the entire internet right now and getting destroyed.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Lol. Currently picking a fight with Darren Rovell on Twitter about whether or not the Westminster Dogshow Champion "worked for free."

He's not happy.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

C. Everett Koop posted:

Also apparently they faked credentials to get into the show and ended up getting busted, but have successfully gotten into NFL events three times.

Dog show security > NFL security

e - meant PFTC and Pardon my Take

PFTC at Westminster would win a Pulitzer.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Without words.

Royce Young posted:

The other night, before I left for New Orleans, I was watching my beautiful wife sleep peacefully on the couch.

I looked at her laying there, her belly big with our daughter kicking away, a daughter that won't live more than a few days, and it just overwhelmed me of how incredible this woman is. I'm a writer so when I'm feeling something, I tend to have to write it down. So I pulled out my phone and started writing what I was thinking. And I realized tonight sitting a thousand miles away in a hotel room, especially after meeting this awesome kid named Jarrius that's been everywhere at All-Star Weekend who needs a liver transplant, that instead of just keeping this one for me like I normally do, I should tell everyone else just how incredible Keri Young is. (I also miss her five seconds after I leave the house for a trip so I'm thinking about her all the time anyway.)

I thought back to the moment where we found out Eva wasn't perfect, and how literally 30 seconds after our doctor told us our baby doesn't have a brain, somehow through full body ugly crying, Keri looked up and asked, "If I carry her full term, can we donate her organs?" I remember our doctor putting her hand on Keri's shoulder and saying, "Oh honey, that's so brave of you to say." Like, how nice of you, but come on. Keri meant it. There I was, crestfallen and heartbroken, but I momentarily got lifted out of the moment and just stood in awe of her. I was a spectator to my own life, watching a superhero find her superpowers. In literally the worst moment of her life, finding out her baby was going to die, it took her less than a minute to think of someone else and how her selflessness could help. It's one of the most powerful things I've ever experienced. In the eight years we've been married (and 15 years together) I've had a lot of moments stop me in my tracks where I thought, "holy crap, this woman I'm married to, lucky me." But this one was different. It hit me that not only am I married to my very best friend, but to a truly remarkable, special human being.

This whole process has been rough, but I say that as someone watching from the bleachers like the rest of you. Keri has been in the trenches the entire time, feeling every little kick, every hiccup and every roll. She's reminded every moment of every day that she's carrying a baby that will die. Her back hurts. Her feet are sore. She's got all the super fun pregnant stuff going on. But the light at the end of her nine-month tunnel will turn into a darkness she's never felt before a couple hours or days after Eva is born. She's the one that is going to deal with all that comes with having a baby-- her milk coming in, the recovery process, etc, but with no snuggly, soft, beautiful newborn to look at to remind you that it was all worth it.

We made our choice to carry Eva to full term for a lot of reasons, but the first and foremost was to donate her organs. We don't say that to try and sound like great people or anything. It was just a practical endgame that in our minds, before we came to the realization Eva is alive and our daughter deserves to meet her mama and daddy, gave us a purpose to continue on. Donating was on Keri's mind from darn near the second we found out and while the experience of holding and kissing our daughter will be something we cherish forever, the gift(s) she's got inside that little body of hers is what really matters. Keri saw that almost instantly. That kid Jarrius wears a shirt that says "It Takes Lives To Save Lives." I couldn't stop thinking about that all day. There's another family out there hurting and hoping for a miracle for their baby, knowing full well someone else's baby will need to die first. Eva can be that miracle.

We're getting closer to the finish line, and while it's going to be amazing to run through that tape and meet Eva, it comes at a cost. We'll go to the hospital for a birth, and go home without a baby.

A lot of people say things like, "I wouldn't change anything" after a trying circumstance, but I'm not about to say that. I would definitely change this if I could. I want my daughter to be perfect. I want her to blow out her candles on her first birthday. I want to watch her bang her head on our coffee table trying to learn to walk. I want her to run up a cell phone bill texting boys. I want to walk her down an aisle. I want to change it all so, so badly. But I can't. This is our reality. And there's no stopping it.

Whenever Harrison gets hurt, or has to pull a bandaid off or something, Keri will ask him, "Are you tough? Are you BRAVE?" And that little boy will nod his head and say, "I tough! I brave!" I'm looking at Keri right now and I don't even have to ask. She's TOUGH. She's BRAVE. She's incredible. She's remarkable. She's cut from a different cloth, combining wit, beauty, courage, silliness, character and integrity into one spectacular woman. And somehow, she's my wife. Not that I needed some awful situation like this to actually see all of that, but what it did was make me want to tell everyone else about it.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

chunkles posted:

:prepop: good googly moogly that take is juicy

The responses are beautiful.

https://twitter.com/UweBollocks/status/837100912913100801

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Henchman of Santa posted:

Bethlehem Shoals is now fighting Patton Oswalt for some reason

He's such a whiny little prick nowadays.