Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«20 »
MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Politicalrancor posted:

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2...artily-approve/

I wanted to be clever and make this a funny post but im too excited! Tom Verducci destroys Murray Chass. Repeatedly refers to him as a blogger. Very funny.

The best part is that a bunch of bloggers are now getting pissy about how Verducci dismissively calls Chass "the blogger" over and over because they don't get the joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

zakharov posted:

Reilly used to write funny, interesting, and sometimes poignant columns. I don't know why he lost his mind after moving to ESPN.

Once and awhile I guess, but he was pretty bad even before that. Most of his articles fell into two categories. They were either something filled with dumb hack jokes about how darn ~WACKY~ sports were or something about someone overcoming some sort of disability to play sports (which were occasionally pretty touching, but it was also more or less the same article over and over). Also he was really annoying and holier than thou about steroids.

I CHALLENGE THEE posted:

My God, it even contains my favorite bad sportswriting line: "sure, [player] scored a ton of points but it took him [arbitrary number] to do it!!"

That's kind of a relevant point in regards to that particular game, because he was really inefficient (although he kind of has to be because the rest of the team is bad). I'm willing to bet a significant sum of money that that was the only BYU game Riley watched all year though.

MourningView fucked around with this message at Mar 27, 2011 around 21:51

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Bigass Moth posted:

I literally learned in 4th grade that paragraphs must contain at least two sentences.

This isn't actually true, it's just a thing they tell little kids so they won't turn in assigned five paragraph essays that are five sentences long. You shouldn't overdo it though!

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

I CHALLENGE THEE posted:

Mods, please rename this thread "Ann Coulter Nails It"

I suppose that would have worked too.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Holy poo poo this guy.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Please take just a little bit off those punches, John.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Forever. I'm considering rededicating the entire forum to his blog.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Tavarin posted:

Be sure to highlight his versatility

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDWAOkTK5l4

haha, his "WOOOOOOAH YOU CAUGHT ME AREN'T I JUST WACKY!!!!" look after he took his finger out from under the basketball and it kept spinning owns.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

I think they probably just wanted a football stats guy and he's the most widely known guy with FO aside from Schatz.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

He's been doing that forever. Like half his columns for SI were [name] was told that he could never play [sport] because of [disability] but he fought and persevered.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Those loving girls should stick to the style section where they belong, am I right?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Which is exactly what Barry should have done, but instead he decided to perjure himself for the sake of PR. Which was especially dumb since it's not like the public believed him anyway.

MourningView fucked around with this message at Apr 27, 2011 around 12:21

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

A drat FOG posted:

(this should probably be moved to the Bonds/steroids thread though)

This is a good idea if anyone wants to keep arguing about him, yeah. This thread is for appreciating John Steigerwald's blog.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

The reaction to that Vince Lombardi story should be horror because it's why so many old football players are now crippled up or suffering from early onset dementia but nope, he was just super manly and awesome. Get out there and bruise your brain up for my entertainment, you pussies.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

I appreciate the idea behind it, but yeah, it's kind of awkward sounding.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Crazy Ted posted:

Speaking of Grantland, A.J. Daulerio decided to write a huge pile of words about Grantland and negotiations with Tommy Craggs and then openly admitted at the end that the column he's just penned could put Craggs' potential contract with ESPN in Jeopardy.

Seriously: http://deadspin.com/#!5796720/an-ex...antland-project

That dude is such an unbelievable shithead. I wonder if Leitch ever feels bad about leaving him in charge and letting Deadspin go to poo poo.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Shirley wrote a pretty funny book and has good musical taste but man is he a terrible person.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

The broken bones posted:

Paul Shirley was the guy that blamed Haitians for the earthquake, right?

Yes, and got fired from his writing gig at ESPN for it.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

swizz posted:

so is Grantland supposed to be a repository for long-winded New Journalism relating to sports

is Bill Simmons considered the best we got nowadays (edit: not a fan, I felt obliged to note this), Hunter S. Thompson is pretty drat dead

As far as I can tell, it's basically just a hodgepodge of sports and pop culture writers that Simmons likes.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

I'm pretty sure Bob Costas wins almost every year. Joe Morgan also has like 20 of them.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Halal to the Chief posted:

That summer preview article was one of the worst things I've read in a while, even considering the vein it was produced in.

My over under on Grantland folding is 8 months.

Simmons' fanbase alone will probably make it fairly successful, especially if they link to it on the front page of ESPN for awhile. I'm not a huge fan, but he's almost certainly the most popular sports writer working right now.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Simmons and Klosterman will probably get enough hits to make up for everyone else initially (and some of the other guys like Barnwell are coming in with their own established readership too), and I'm sure plenty of people will start checking out the other writers just because of their association with the site and Simmons. I don't know if it will actually be good, but I would bet that a lot of people will at least visit the site on a regular basis. If some people aren't generating hits, then they can cut some of that dead weight down the road, but it doesn't mean they'll shut down the whole site.

Also I think they're going to give it quite a bit of time to sink or swim just because it seems like a huge deal to Simmons and they don't want to risk pissing him off and losing him, which I could see happening considering how thin skinned he is.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

I CHALLENGE THEE posted:

Why is Simmons so popular? Is it a Boston thing?

It's definitely not. I know plenty of people who like him even though they don't care about Boston sports. I think it's mostly because he hit on a type of sportswriting that seemed really fresh and new at the time. He's grown increasingly stale, but when he started out his style of writing genuinely was pretty different for what was being done (especially because it was before the explosion of sports blogs and guys trying to write like Simmons). He wrote purely from the perspective of a fan, tended to frame sports in terms of what they meant to him personally, mixed in tons of pop culture reference (which I think tend to be mostly awkward and unfunny, but it was unique and lots of people like it), and tried to be funny. For lot of people I think it was like what would happen if one of their friends got a national sports column, and there was something appealing about that.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

While I'm sure it is a true struggle to not read Bill Simmons, it's not like he's not telling you upfront what the article is. Plus, yeah, at some point the statute of limitations on spoilers has to run. Do you get mad when people talk about how Darth Vader is Luke Skywalker's dad too?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

The dude's first name is "Dirk", he doesn't need a nickname.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

There is no football for me to turn off though! If only he'd warned us earlier

e: haha, holy poo poo that guy owns. People definitely need to check out the rest of his cartoons, including the commentary so that you can really understand the message he's trying to convey. It can be pretty complicated!

MourningView fucked around with this message at May 27, 2011 around 01:52

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Millionaires fighting billionaires while YOU struggle to pay the bills!!!!

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

It is seriously astounding how big an rear end in a top hat Daulerio is. There was a time when I genuinely loved Deadspin and checked it like four times a day but he's the worst.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Yeah all the pop culture stuff so far has been bad, but I've liked the sports articles aside from Simmons' typically dumb overreaction to one bad LeBron game.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

e: either I misread your post or you ninja edited. Whatever the case, nevermind.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

I'm not sure they can keep this pace up (although they have like 700 writers so maybe), but it's definitely gone really well so far, at least as far as sports stuff is concerned. The oral history of The National was great.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Geno posted:

what i'm surprised is they're eventually going to add user comments, which have noticeably been absent from BS's articles for a loooong time.

He had them for all of a day at ESPN (I think he was the first writer they tried them out on). It did not go well.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

zakharov posted:

It was good until they went into "cricket actually sucks" mode.

Well....

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Badfinger posted:

Site never went down for me. I have to say that once Simmons was able to get out from under being ESPN's Bill Simmons, The Sports Guy, he has continued to be the exact same writer.

He gets to swear now! But yeah, if you read his first book, he was the exact same guy before he got to ESPN, so it's not too surprising that he hasn't changed. The rest of the site is really good though, so at least he has a eye for talent.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

R.D. Mangles posted:

Ugh.

I finally stopped reading at "Bozo Bonds" so I didn't get this far but that article was seriously The Worst.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Back of the 2nd round picks are very important. There are non-guranteed contracts and d-league roster spots at stake here!

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

zakharov posted:

Who was your favorite Yankee growing up?

I know he stinks now, but it's crazy how much Yankee fans here have turned on Jeter.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

hcreight posted:

For his next trick he should pound a bunch of Natty Light and try to recreate Boomer's perfect game during the hangover.

Or as I like to call it, Sunday.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Orgophlax posted:

He doesn't even know Motörhead does Triple H's entrance music and refers to Lemmy as "just someone screaming in a raspy voice".

Well...

MourningView fucked around with this message at Jul 21, 2011 around 22:31

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

camoseven posted:

He's not wrong.

There is absolutely no chance that he knows *why* he's correct, but yeah.

«20 »