Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Hey he said it was sad!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

R.D. Mangles posted:

I don't know anything about Dan Kois, but I think I'm finally convinced that his awful "Razzie Watch" column on Grantland is sincere and actually attempting to be clever despite having sectional titles such as "New This 'Weak'" and "On the 'Bore'izon" instead of an Onion-esque parody of a column mocking bad movies. There's some good stuff on Grantland, but it seems like they blew their load of good actual journalism (like the National oral history) and now are just shoveling out the same caliber of crappy blogger poo poo that's all over the rest of the internet.

Pretty much all the pop culture stuff on there is terrible. I think the sports stuff I've read is mostly okay, although I admittedly skip over most of the blog posts and anything about soccer (which is pretty large percentage of it). Most of their very best stuff was definitely in that first week or two, but I suppose that's to be expected.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

barkingclam posted:

I agree, but I can also see Carles writing style confusing a lot of people who have no idea what Hipster Runoff is, too. He's an odd choice.

I think it's a joke that wears thin pretty quickly anyway, but this definitely doesn't help in terms of public perception. You have all this normal writing and then...that, with no real explanation of what it is.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Eschaton wouldn't have worked nearly as well with baseball so I cannot go along with that plan.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Deadspin continues to put me in the strange position of rooting for ESPN.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

morestuff posted:

Here are the INCREDIBLY COMPELLING results.

Honestly, what were they expecting to glean from something so boring and corporate? Have they never been to a company-wide meeting before? Those things are abysmal.

Dalerio basically made his career by looking over Stu Scott's shoulder while he sent a text (or more likely making a story about doing that up) so maybe they were going to steal Scott Van Pelt's cell phone or something.

Or more likely just snicker about being in there and act like they had scored a dramatic victory in the ~War Against Traditional Media~

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

BackInTheUSSR posted:

What's the story behind Stu Scott and Daulerio?

He went to the Super Bowl for Deadspin, basically stalked Stu at a bar, and allegedly saw Stu sending a text to some cheerleader about meeting up later, which obviously means that he was trying to gently caress her.

I'm not kidding that is the whole story. Apparently this was a big deal to him. It is basically everything dumb about Deadspin in one sentence.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
His Super Bowl coverage was the first thing he did on Deadspin that got him a lot of attention, and the Stu Scott text was the most famous thing to come out of that. And it was really gross. I don't know why you are so desperate to defend a guy who thinks pictures of athletes' penises or who random ESPN employees are loving are worthy news stories. I'm sure Deadspin has some good pieces here and there, but it's largely a lovely tabloid.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Aug 27, 2011

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

BITCH I SELL CAINE posted:

I don't think there's any dispute Daulerio's not a great writer, but what someone gets famous for isn't a fair sample. Bill Buckner wasn't a ground ball sieve. He did serviceable work for years, which would have earned him a position lots of places. (That was probably the rationale for selecting him as Leitch's successor; giving him management reigns wouldn't take away from long-form output.) But talking about that doesn't fit the narrative of "Worthless Smut Dealer!" so whatever.

Right but I wasn't arguing that it was the only thing he's ever done, I was saying that it was the thing that initially brought him to the attention of a wide audience. And it was mostly for the sake of a joke, although I do think that particular story set the tone for a fairly large percentage of the work he's done since.

Deadspin has more than earned the narrative that gets thrown at them. As you noted, it's not like that's always been they way they've been viewed, they had a lot of good will built up prior to Daulerio taking over (they published some dumb poo poo prior to that, but he's certainly pushed them farther in that direction, and at least back in the day they had a pretty decent writer in Leitch running things) that they've burned through. They may have a few good pieces, but they get buried under a mountain of petty bullshit about ESPN and trash. If they don't want that reputation they should quit publishing so much tabloid bullshit.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Aug 28, 2011

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
"Even if you conservatively estimate, he'd have hit [all-star type numbers]"

"That is dumb. And even then it wouldn't be enough to make up the gap"

"BLOOD IN THE WATER, FANBASE, ATTITUDE"

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Spacemonkey57 posted:

It's definitely hurting for non-poo poo college football coverage.

Eh, Doc Saturday does good serious national coverage for Yahoo, EDSBS does good funny national coverage, Smart Football does a lot of cool X and Os stuff, and there are several really good team specific blogs. And at least as far as the Big Ten goes, I don't even mind the ESPN blog that much.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I am going to go out on a limb and guess that that article may not be completely serious.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Mornacale posted:

A supposedly-respectable source of journalism

a what now

It's a crappy magazine that I think most people only read when they are pooping or in a waiting room somewhere. I think the world will survive one joke issue.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
That and cheap insider are the only reasons I get it.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I didn't even notice the part where the hockey preview was an afterthought to all the bullshit, that actually kinda redeems the whole thing to me.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
There are no depths Deadspin can sink to that will surprise me at this point.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I don't think Schur was really going for "woe is me" or trying to make people feel sorry for the Red Sox. He was just pissed at the front office, fans, and media for overreacting to the end of the season collapse and running off a good GM and manager, which is a valid point that I don't think has been brought up enough in the mainstream media, even if it is kind of obvious.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

FairGame posted:

Is it bad that I really enjoyed this? Because I did :(

Not at all. Spencer Hall is awesome.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Groucho Marxist posted:

I say "we" and "us" because it's easier than constantly typing *name of team*

Yeah this is why I do it. I suspect that pretty much everyone who does it realizes that they are not actually on the team, so pointing that out is kind of pointless and boring.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Dutchy posted:

Does that sentence become more cool and reasonable if they say "Why are you rooting for anybody, you should still be playing right now!!!!"?

Yeah exactly. Like ADF said, people should absolutely be made fun of for taking sports way too seriously. But focusing entirely on the "we" thing when it's almost always just done out of convenience is kind of silly.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

leokitty posted:

e: If you're not familiar with Raley Field it seats about 11,000 so the idea of Bud Selig ever approving that the A's play there even while waiting for a new park is hilarious

This seems about right for the A's.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

zakharov posted:

Why does that dude hate LeBron so much anyway?

He's from Cleveland and took the whole Decision thing as a personal affront for some dumb reason. I die a little bit inside every single time Posnanski says something positive about him and his lovely writing.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Nodoze posted:

He also whines a lot and says dumb things about football!

Literally wrong about everything

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Nodoze posted:

He whines a lot about the Yankees and Royals (being awful) and says stupid stuff about the Chiefs all the time on twitter!

He makes fun of the Chiefs and Royals for being bad which they usually are. Why is that wrong?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

The broken bones posted:

you're gonna start needing a translator soon.

Res ipsa is like a first week of torts thing, and also the go-to fancy lawyer sounding thing for law students to impress/annoy their friends with.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I visited Columbia a few times during the summer when my friend was going to Mizzou and I always had a good time

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Craggs actually puts out some good stuff on occasion, so if they move more towards the kinds of things he did and away from all the petty tabloid poo poo Daulerio loved I think it'll be a positive move.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Welp, so much for Deadspin getting less scummy without Daluerio.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Clearly by making a dumb jokey sign she was hoping that her name would be exposed to the entire world. People deserve to know the name of everyone who pops up on their television screen and I'm glad Deadspin has the courage to engage in this sort of hard hitting journalism.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
People harassing her was of course a totally unforeseeable outcome.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Holocausplay posted:

It's also a foreseeable outcome of printing virtually anyone's name connected to a contentious issue or connected to something like sports, where people are rabidly partisan dickheads. If Deadspin or any sports site links to a fan Youtube, that person gets harassing comments and reply vids. If it had been a male Packers fan talking about dumping his ex, we'd be talking about idiot Bears and Vikings fans threatening to kick his rear end or crowing about loving his ex (and we'd be talking about whether Deadspin was endorsing misogynistic bro poo poo). Hell, I posted Ron Paul's own printed words last week and have been averaging about a death threat per day since then.

You getting harassing e-mails for something you published is not even remotely the same thing as some random girl getting harassed because Deadspin decided to link to her facebook for no reason other than "she was on TV for 2 seconds". There is no good reason to post her name. "Girl at a game with a sign" is not a story that needs to be further investigated. The only thing gained is some poor girl getting harassed by strangers.

I know they link to you sometimes but you really don't need to white knight every single dumb thing Deadspin does. If you want to take issue with people who say that they're always terrible or don't do anything good, then fine. But this particular thing is not really worth defending.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Dec 28, 2011

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Holocausplay posted:

I'm not trying to draw an equivalency between the two; I'm just saying that people on the internet behave irrationally and sometimes violently, and that's a consequence of posting a name or no name at all. We can change almost every detail of this circumstance—make it a genderless person with a no-name blog or a guy holding another sign entirely—and still stand a good chance of creating the same bad outcomes.

And it still would have been a really dumb thing to do, although I think the fact that Deadspin is read by a whole ton of people makes it worse, since it increases the chances of the girl catching a bunch of unnecessary poo poo for it, and they should know that. Their history of doing stuff like this also does not help, since it makes it look like part of a larger pattern.

I think you're overselling the outrage too. A few people agreed that it was a scummy thing to do (and again, pointed out that Deadspin does this sort of thing a lot, which I think is fair and part of the reason people are bothered by it and reluctant to give their motives the benefit of the doubt), but it probably would have died out pretty quickly if you didn't decide to defend it for some reason.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

SporkOfTruth posted:

But Deadspin, from an editorial standpoint (as much as you can ascribe one to them)doesn't care.

They should.

quote:

They're information brokers, plying in the trade of "find the juiciest piece of flesh for the rabid dogs to gnaw on." I wouldn't expect the first (or even second, or third...) mention of an incident on their site to be a professional, well-written, long-form article. Throwing the information out there first and then following up with the snarky critique/half-apology is their thing, and I'm absolutely certain that if they did not exist, someone else would fill the void (showing even LESS compunction or restraint). They provide the crass & vulgar that sportswriting fanatically avoided for over a century and a half in this country. I'm not saying what they do makes me feel comfortable or that I particularly enjoy the implications of their work, but it's out there and it serves its purpose quite well.

Its purpose is stupid and it would be stupid and worthy of ridicule if other people did it too. This is not a good argument in their favor. Doing lovely stuff frequently does not make it any less lovely.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Dec 28, 2011

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Mornacale posted:

The Yankees should retire every number and eliminate identifying information from their uniforms entirely.

True Yankees will recognize that the only thing that really matters is what's on the front of the uniform.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Then change his number to the dollar figure left on his contract.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Like anyone cares what that dumb old blogger has to say.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Crazy Ted posted:

Because knowing the BBWAA about half of them share his opinions on the Hall of Fame.

That was mostly an excuse to call him a blogger, which he hates even though he now writes a blog.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The best was when Chass mistakenly accused Tom Verducci for not voting Marvin Miller for the HoF, and Posnasnki and Verducci both wrote articles in response where they repeatedly referred to him as "the blogger"

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Tebow played a lot last year, it's weird that everyone on earth seems to think he's a rookie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
gently caress Harlan.