Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Is it limited to the NFL? Because if not I can save you some time, this is the saddest punt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpdqI8mmIVM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
no one think Zion getting hurt isn't a story, it just is not one that should be told through "will Nike's stock drop by half a point?????"

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

General Dog posted:

That is so hosed up

someone think of the poor racist billionaire

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Niwrad posted:

She is wrong to think that Twitter would actually ban a big account for breaking their rules.

She is a woman on the internet who publicly trashed barstool, I'm reasonably certain she understands that Twitter is lovely already.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
a site for boys who wanna grow up to be Donald Trump Jr is an extremely good line

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Only 9.99 a month and you can get this every week, y'all

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

also lol

https://twitter.com/stoolpresidente/status/1104081895292321792?s=19

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

I can't believe he's still making them do this haha

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

morestuff posted:

Don't Gawker sites make a big chunk of their income off affiliate-link advertorial

They do a pretty good job of making it clear that those are sponsored content most of the time but yeah it looks silly when one of these pieces is right next to like seven Amazon ads. Deadspin editorial doesn't really have any control over the kinja deals stuff or the ads though. No one there is exactly shy about saying that Univision sucks.

I think most of their media criticism is pretty legitimate but trying to turn a goofy piece about a hot dog into a huge conflict of interest or attempt to promote the Diamondbacks is a real stretch. They hired Wilder specifically because she's good at doing these sorts of silly stories, I don't think writing about the hot dog somehow means they're in the pocket of the team or can't be critical of them in the future.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Mar 22, 2019

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
"Sorry you can't report anything negative about the baseball team because they sell a hot dog with our name on it"

-a real conversation that will definitely happen at sports illustrated

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
That's a dumb joke either way but it's especially dumb with a guy who has a long history of legitimate knee issues.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Lmao

Though I will say Riley launching himself back into the spotlight and figuring out how to capitalize on our idiot society's endless appetite for Trump poo poo by farting out a quickie book about him cheating at golf is a really impressive hustle

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Racing up to the green to grab Mike Tirico's ball and chuck it into a sandtrap is maybe the most likable Trump story I've ever heard.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Jim Nantz reading in his study, tears in his eyes whispers, "Mr. President...sir...no...have you no shame?" Unable to take anymore, he sets the book aside, cradles his signed photograph of George Bush, and quietly sobs. Even the blackest toast cannot sooth his tortured soul tonight.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
"Grandpa, how did the Trump Presidency end?"

Well, son, there was a golf book...

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Rick Riley, in a dark parking garage, meets with his source, a mysterious visored figure known only as Sandtrap.

"I can't give you specifics, this goes to deep, all I can tell you is follow...the cart path"

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

euphronius posted:

I think you have the names backwards. vc firms can handle short terms startup losses and are behind The Athletic.

The people who bought the onion are decidedly not a VC firm and will probably not tolerate losses.

Zombie Gawker is fairly profitable afaik (or at least the major sites like deadspin are) but the people buying it can probably fix that by loading it up with debt to cover the purchase price, giving themselves huge consulting fees and then strip mining it later.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Apr 9, 2019

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

howe_sam posted:

Did Deadspin really post and/or link to the Endgame spoilers? How very on brand.

how dare they

They post multiple giant spoiler warnings before they actually get into it and the person who wrote it also wrote an extremely nerdy like 10,000 word essay about how much she loves the Marvel movies before the last one came out. She's not out to get you.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Apr 16, 2019

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Crazy Ted posted:

In the NBA Playoff N/V thread there was a discussion of whether or not Ben Simmons will ever have the time to develop a jumper because he's the ripe old age of 23.

Given that he refuses to even attempt them, sucks at free throws, and has been like that for like literally his entire basketball playing life it's a pretty reasonable concern

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Danny Kannell does not get nearly enough credit (?) for being one of the dumbest dudes in all of sports media

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Henchman of Santa posted:

Getting hit in the knee at 90 mph definitely won’t cause an injury!
https://twitter.com/randyscottespn/status/1118681538298822657?s=21

He said not in the knee! Thankfully there is nothing vulnerable or important between the head and knee and all pitchers have extremely precise control and never miss their target

MourningView fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Apr 19, 2019

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Rick posted:

I don't get how people haven't noticed that so many of the new sports fans popping up on the internet these days are women. Especially basketball and college football circles. And okay, maybe you could make the argument "well we need experienced writers for the Atheltic." Cool, there are really talented small-site college football writers who are women.

Two of the main national college football writers are women, but yeah there are plenty more they could take a look at and I don't think that's the norm for the site as a whole. They could also probably stand to cover women's sports more, or at least promote it better when they do.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I watch like five hockey games a year unless the ducks make a deep playoff run so it's entirely possible that I too am a big dummy but to me calling it when a dude is clearly in the process of exiting the ice and not really impacting the play at all seems pretty ticky tack and not necessarily in keeping with the intention of the rule.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

what's your opinion of a td getting called back because a player didnt make it to the sideline and caused too many men on the field

or because they lined up offsides or an in an illegal formation

If they're clearly in the process of leaving and just happened to be a step late getting off the filed I usually also think it's pretty silly, though this also doesn't really happen much to offenses so I'm not sure your hypothetical really works.

Offsides or illegal formation would depend. Those are both cases where generally the violation would have the potential to actually impact the play, which this doesn't really seem to have done. Trying to catch the defense offsides or draw them off with the snap is also part of the strategy of football whereas this just seems like dumb luck more than anything. There have been plenty of illegal formation calls that I thought were pretty ticky tack and dumb though.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

ElwoodCuse posted:

The old system where guys could be three feet offside and immediately score was so much better!

This sounds better tbh

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Benne posted:

HBO desperately wants Westworld to be their big post-GOT hit and the content mill will keep on churning whether people actually give a poo poo about it or not

For as much as people poo poo on the ringer for being in the pocket of HBO I think they've mostly acknowledged that Westworld is pretty lovely

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

soggybagel posted:

Breaking down the NBA Finals if each player was a Karate Kid character. With a foreword by my dad.

This would require Simmons to actually write, he'd just do a like 5 hour podcast about it with a round table of experts like his dipshit college buddy and some minor character from the Jimmy Kimmel Extended Universe where they can break down what it means for the Future of Content

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Rick posted:

Live like no one else today, so you can live like no one else tomorrow, and this Duke basketball everyone is saying is overrated will be the best player in the draft.

Goddammit you actually made me go check their draft guide because one of them putting Reddish at 1 sounded totally believable.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
He is famous mostly for being delightfully grumpy,
I highly recommend following him on Twitter. The Ringer had a good article about him right around the time he got laid off too.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
It's not particularly stealthy, Portnoy is openly a big Trump guy.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Metapod posted:

everyone who can appreciate a good troll

I know it's a sad desolate wasteland that needs all the help it can get but you don't actually need to defend literally every single thing associated with the state of oklahoma

MourningView fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jun 15, 2019

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
He's a bad person and being dumb and lovely on purpose is still being dumb and lovely

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Basticle posted:

I'ts been brought up in this or the broadcasting thread multiple times but didnt Skip win a drat peabody or pulitzer or something for newspaper articles, I think we can say its an act.

He won a few awards for his columnist work but so have lots of lovely writers. There are people in this thread who treat him like he's Carl Bernstein just because he happened to be in the Pony Express documentary. His past as a Serious Journalist is really inflated, he fell into being a hot takey columnist who regularly got run out of whatever city he was in because everyone hated him pretty quickly.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Alexander Hamilton posted:

Yeah, his very first claim to fame was writing trash about Steve Garvey & the Dodgers. And the awards he won were state awards where the national winner was Rick Reilly. He’s always been garbage with a little writing ability.

Yeah a lot of his most famous reporting work was gossipy tabloid stuff about athletes and their personal lives.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

colouring-in books.

wtf

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

morestuff posted:

It’s sort of amazing that the Ringer has poached like a dozen NBA writers from good sites and none of them are worth reading

It's really funny that one of the things they're the worst at covering is the thing Simmons clearly cares about the most

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
He only has room in his brain for like four pop culture references at a time and he has moved on from 90210 to whatever his kids are watching on Netflix at any given time and HBO documentaries about rich people.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

ElwoodCuse posted:

I'm extremely online enough to know that "old town road" is a country song by a rap guy that is very popular but I can go no further

Gotta get on tik tok

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
deadspin is good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
He's written a bunch of places, mostly the San Jose Mercury News, but the primary gig pre-Deadpsin was doing TV and online columns for the Bay area NBC Sports affiliate