Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Ha, well good for Simmons. I hope he lets out all the dirty laundry he possibly can against ESPN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I want to know so bad what he means by "go public". Either he burns ESPN or himself and I love it either way.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

There are tons of NFL players who have domestic violence in their history too. This is a straw man that all players with domestic violence can never play ever again. Solo also has not been convicted, Ray Rice confessed and took a plea deal. Rice was indicted on Felony charges, Solo is facing misdemeanor charges. There is a world of difference between the cases besides gender.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Simmons was also much more juvenile in the comments he made vs others. But Journalistic Standards would apply to not saying "You can't touch me and if you do I'll throw a fit".

That said, no way this is even a suspension if it was about the NHL commissioner or something.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

davecrazy posted:

You think that if Simmons leaves ESPN after his contract runs out ESPN wont do everything in their power to leverage the NBA into loving with his ability to cover the NBA?

The new NBA contract is going to be incredibly sought after. TNT, NBC wants back in (ROUNDBALL ROCK), ESPN won't have a lot of room to make demands. I expect Simmons and ESPN will split and I don't know why a large corporation like ESPN would waste energy alienating the cross-section of fans that will follow ESPN and Simmons.

I don't know why you'd throw in the towel for 538 before the next election though.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

MourningView posted:

I genuinely want NBC to get it just so I can hear Roundball Rock more often. That is literally the only reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZKX-cf_p90

I had heard some credible rumors that NBC was going to come in hard as soon as the negotiating window was open, but it looks like now the deal might be signed with ESPN/ABC and Turner before that happens. That's too bad.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Simmons was really important in coming up with the original 30 for 30 ideas and structure and he was one of their biggest pitchmen in getting it made. I dunno how much he has to do with it now, but he can claim a lot of success it getting it made.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

http://www.businessinsider.com/gossip-bill-simmons-wants-out-of-espn-2014-10

Straight up rumor mongering, but I am surprised Simmons "only" gets $3 Mil a year for such a visible guy. He might be at his best striking off on his own.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I was an awkward attempt to humanize both sides, but he didn't really do a good job making a point so the whole thing was pretty weird. I think its mostly a non-story than anything else though.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

howe_sam posted:

Great pitch to Simmons, but:

:drat:

What's that referencing?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

FMguru posted:

NYT has a piece up on Simmons: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/15/sports/bill-simmonss-return-sets-intrigue-in-motion-at-espn.html

"I dared them to suspend me, and they went and suspended me! I've never felt so betrayed and angry!"

I dunno. I see it more as: "I tested a boundary I thought I should be safe crossing (though my dare made it evident I thought something would happen) and they came down very hard in an out-or-proportion way. I don't think I am the right fit for ESPN any longer." Which is probably true.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

MourningView posted:

Seriously the majority of espn's coverage has been negative towards goodell. It was the stupid childish way he did it that got him in trouble. The column would have been pulled if they cared

It wasn't a column, it was a podcast and ESPN absolutely did pull it down and have been chasing after people reposting it on Youtube as well.

edit: Oh you mean the latest one, yeah I don't think they care about that

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

angrygodofjebus posted:

Dater is officially gone

This is like the boiler-plate apology/non-apology.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

It's amazing what good announcers do. I got REALLY into that stupid bike Olympic event where two guys peddle REALLY slow until one decides to gun it, mostly because the announcers would go apeshit when someone exploded off the back.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

MourningView posted:

Team Handball owns unconditionally

I played one winter just for something to keep in shape, and the coach was, like, 100% sure a bunch of Minnesota guys who never played the sport before would be in the Olympics. Then I rolled an ankle because holy poo poo is that game basically all running jump-stops.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

johnfw50 posted:

How long ago? It's actually kinda legit nowadays.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

I'm grateful for what Dumars did because, hey, I like information, but it is quite surprising that even after that the Pistons did not move to fire him.

Depending on what he was releasing the Pistons may not have cared. That seems like something that's a bigger concern for the NBA that the Piston's specifically.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

Umm, Unprotected sex is dumb, but it isn't a bad thing.

Unless there is more to this story which would make it turn pretty hard.

People come down on athletes pretty hard for having kids out of wedlock with multiple women. No one gets suspended for it, but it certainly gets traction.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Disagree, best phrasing.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Simmons also has personal beefs with ESPN/ individuals. It doesn't seem out of character at all for him to try and fight those personal fights with making up problems with Grantland in general.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

joshtothemaxx posted:

Has anyone ever interviewed or written about what the hell Joe Buck was thinking reacting so strangely to Randy Moss fake mooning the crowd? Buck acts like Moss just killed a baby.

I was at that game in Green Bay. The crowd booed but no one really cared except Joe Buck. When I got back I barely remembered it happened but everyone at work was freaking out.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I think some people were upset because Rolling Stone said they weren't going to fire anybody. On one hand it seems like a screw up like that should cost someone their job, on the other firing people isn't exactly a solution.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Cool and good. posted:

i cant find it myself so i would like to request a link to the sports article where a guy talks about all the cool sports events a kidnapping victim missed when she was locked in a shed for ten years. thank you

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

It's a much worse sports column than the time Mark Whicker left the yard, that much is certain.

Last page....

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Why does the tow company reputation matter? The comments were entirely based on the employees education level and appearance, barely anything was said about the company policies.

Also, how dumb do you have to be to say all that after being told you were being recorded.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

edit: Whoa wrong thread

Lockback fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Apr 23, 2015

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Ribsauce posted:

A lot of this could have been said about Bill Simmons also and he is doing a great job at Grantland (to put it mildly). I bet ESPN saw how awesome Grantland is and figured if a narcissist like Simmons could do it, then Big Sexy could to. Bad judgement call.

Simmons built a bit of a "us vs them" mentality that is conducive to a creative team. It was also pretty clear from the beginning he sold this as a place where the writers would have more freedom. Being self-centered isn't a detriment to being a good builder, but being a control freak who is trying to push an inflexible vision sure as poo poo is.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

ESPN is going to try to monetize grantland differently and a while bunch of executives are going to try to "make a splash" to accelerate their careers and totally ruin it. That's a Shane, but Simmons is probably going to get an offer to create something new with creative freedom so maybe he'll do it again.

But yeah gently caress ESPN.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I don't think ESPN is that big of a bargaining chip. Simmons will have multiple outlets going after him, and the biggest leverage he has is the fact that he could go off on his own. I do think personality had a lot to do with this, but I doubt ESPN was trying to screw him. In fact, announcing this now is going to give Simmons more time to line up something outside of the sports-websites if he wants.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

If I wanted Simmons I would right now offer Simmons a team to do a takedown of the NFL, Woodward and Bernstein style. I bet he'd take the paycut to do that.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

At $5 million a year I hope you weren't waiting until your December 19th check to carry you through Christmas....

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Christ Pseudoscientist posted:

I am also guessing the he will not be involved with the draft this year.

That's actually a shame, him making fun of draft picks, suits, and being biased for the Celtics was actually fun. I'm not looking forward to every pick being "a great pick" and hearing "the fans should be really excited about this team" for 2 hours.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Who could have predicted 538 would not be successful from November 7th 2012-Now?

I'm assuming if 538 gets in the black it will happen between now and election day. Simmons was friendly with those guys and may have been an advocate, but I can't imagine ESPN would take out any problems they have on Simmons. Silver was a minor celebrity after running the table, Simmons was hardly the only person in his corner.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

10 million unique visitors isn't bad considering the average user probably sticks around for a long time.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Glen Taylor's wife looks like your typical Republican wife. I'm sure she's a fine person, but it's weird that Sheridan has such a boner for a middle-aged woman. Why did he think this was a good idea? What point was he trying to make?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

hcreight posted:

Where do people get this notion that employees can't (or shouldn't) lose their jobs for misconduct outside the workplace? It happens all the time, in many different fields.

I think the notion is you shouldn't punish someone at 27 for things that they did when they were 15, which doesn't strike me as that heinous of position. I think whats different here is the particular role this guy held which to me is pretty relevant, but I mostly don't care.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Alain Post posted:

Considering who's involved, I think there's an anti-government thing where they're taking the position that the government shouldn't be involved in an internal family matter.

How is the government involved?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

ChickenMedium posted:

The whole Simmons fiasco basically painted ESPN into a corner. As long as Olbermann doesn't cross into slander/libel, ESPN can't do anything without looking like puppets of the NFL Commissioner's office.

ESPN People were critical of the NFL before Simmons. While I think if Simmons was a baby-man about something else ESPN might have been able to ignore it, they didn't suspend him for attacking the NFL.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

R.D. Mangles posted:

being sued for refusing to take down a hulk hogan sex tape-- there is no cluster of words in that phrase that is not funny

It's a pretty special time to be alive.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Keven. Just. Keven posted:

Whys it bad to say he was attempting to pay for sex (crime) because it was gay sex.

If he wasn't gay it wouldn't have been a story, that's the part that makes it objectionable and not really news.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Why would it be a hit on a rival if the business was the one who decided to pull it? Wouldn't the business be supportive of it if that was the motivation?