Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

seiferguy posted:

Steve Kelley is at it again!

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/stevekelley/2015304408_kelley13.html

It's more subtle "Ichiro is selfish" bullshit that the Seattle media always likes to throw out for some reason. I also love the assumption of "Ichiro can hit 20-25 HRs" because Ichiro can mash 60mph BP balls over the fence.

Ichiro has been one of the best athletes in Seattle history and our media always wants to crucify him.

I hate that Bill Plaschke style of paragraphs only being two sentences or less. Steve Kelley hasn't improved in the 20+ years I have lived in Seattle. Get Ron Judd off the fish count because at least he writes good columns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

OctoberBlues posted:

Wait, so is Grantland back up for you guys? I'm still getting that same placeholder page with the basketball/soccer ball.

Go there and try hitting ctrl-F5

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

http://www.montlakemadness.com/a-quick-cameo-to-talk-about-venoy/

quote:

Quick preface, lest you think I’m condoning some pretty heinous actions: if guilty of the recent allegations put against him, Venoy Overton undoubtedly deserves jail time. He is quickly redefining his reputation (from “pesky defender” to “repeat offender”) and building a track record of poor judgment.

Scarier, even, is that his recent actions suggest the very real possibility that he has a specific appetite for aggressively exercising physical control over young women. Gross.

All that said, there’s a question at the heart of the rather unique charge (for a high profile athlete) Venoy is accused of, that folds into a larger discussion going on in the sports world right now:

Did Venoy need money so badly that he was willing to risk jail time, given his past offense, to share in a fairly small amount of cash?

And, while we’re asking questions: was this the BEST idea Venoy could hatch to earn some money?

Consider Venoy’s pimpin’-ain’t-easy situation in relation to the conversation taking place recently over the idea of redefining amateurism in college sports, particularly football and hoops, the big moneymakers. It’s not a new discussion in the media, but it’s been reinvigorated largely by recent events at Ohio State. One of the litany of violations in Buckeye Nation was for players accepting payment for providing autographs, an NCAA no-no.

It’s absolutely true that by the current rules, which all players agree to uphold when they sign their scholarship papers, signing autographs for money is not allowed. But, is it really right for players to basically be precluded from doing anything to earn money trading off of the status they’ve gained from their on-field or on-court success?

Basically the point of the article is Venoy wouldn't have pimped out his girlfriend if the NCAA paid athletes. :stare:

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Dr_Strangelove posted:

I called into Nick's show two nights in a row in '83. Disguised my adolescent voice on the second night, because, you know, I didn't want to seem like that was all I did was watch call-in interview sports shows on CNN. The look on Nick's face said that he knew. I almost panicked and hung up, but stuck it out.

So long, Nick. You were aces back then.

And that was a drat good highlight show until they brought on that douche Van Earl Wright.

Were you Hank from Festus or Armando from Miami?

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Dr_Strangelove posted:

I don't remember if I used my middle name the second night. I probably just said I was from Omaha one night, and the name of the suburb where I lived the other (Papillion).

It's better than cranky old man "John in Plano" who called up The Hardline on The Ticket to complain about being left on hold too long, and then called back the next day as "Joe in Frisco" and didn't even try to change his voice. Then, he threatened to call the Better Business Bureau about them leaving callers on hold too long.

My bad as I was thinking of the Vince Cellini call in show.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

stuart scott irl posted:

His book "How We Decide" was pretty good IMO, but if you didn't like his articles I'm not sure how much it would appeal to you.

edit: Wyers can be really unnecessarily abrasive on Twitter, but his takedown of that lovely Lehrer article is not to be missed

It took me until this post to remember that Jonah Lehrer is not Jonah Keri.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

stuart scott irl posted:

Having Prince as DH would be pretty amazing, and the Yankees have "gently caress you" money and it's not like he is a bad investment. I guess that guy probably had stupid reasons in mind though.

The worst columnists are trade speculators. "All the Mariners have to do is package Jack Wilson, Mike Carp and a box of fungo bats all for Albert Pujols. DO YOUR loving JOB JACK Z!"

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Mornacale posted:

It's sinister because it has negroes.

e: Also, I feel like Yankees FA speculation is even worse than trade speculation. "If I'm the Yankees, I sign [every good player]. Just think about how great they'd be with [every good player] on their roster!"
http://www.onionsportsnetwork.com/articles/yankees-ensure-2003-pennant-by-signing-every-playe,32/

quote:

NEW YORK—With a week to go before pitchers and catchers report for spring training, the New York Yankees shored up their pitching, hitting, and defense Monday by signing every player in professional baseball.

Some of the New York Yankees' newest additions are introduced to the press.

"We'd like to welcome the entire roster of Major League Baseball into the Yankees family," said team owner George Steinbrenner, watching as the franchise's 928 newest additions held up their pinstripes at a Yankee Stadium press conference. "With these acquisitions, we are in position to finally nab that elusive 27th World Series title."

Sports reporters were not surprised by the move.

"This is not entirely unexpected," New York Times baseball writer Murray Chass said. "When the Yankees followed up their signing of Japanese slugger Hideki 'Godzilla' Matsui by annexing Cuba for use as a Triple-A farm club, it was clear that Steinbrenner was willing to do whatever it takes to win."

By noon, Yankees GM Brian Cashman had signed the entire National League and most of the American League to multi-year contracts. Some 10 hours later, the final opposing player, Texas Rangers shortstop Alex Rodriguez, had been acquired by the Yankees, who bought out the remainder of his $252 million contract for $300 million.

"It's an honor to be part of this team," said catcher Benito Santiago, picked up from the San Francisco Giants as insurance in case catchers Jorge Posada, Ivan Rodriguez, and Mike Piazza all go down with injuries. "It's a surprise, certainly, but I'd be crazy to turn down the opportunity to play on what is, by default, the greatest team in baseball."

Yankees manager Joe Torre, whose pitching rotation, prior to the mass signing, lacked a clear seventh ace, now has the luxury of starting each of his hurlers twice a season.

"As they say, you can never have enough pitching in this league," Torre said. "Especially come playoff time. Now, if we make it to the World Series, we'll be able to start Pedro Martinez in Game 1 and still have him fresh and ready to go for a Game 287, should it be necessary."

With so many egos to juggle and so many personnel decisions to make, Torre said his job will actually be harder this season, the lack of opposing players notwithstanding.

"Hey, I don't care who you've got on your team; winning in this league is tough—Sammy Sosa, Barry Bonds, and Randy Johnson or no Sammy Sosa, Barry Bonds, and Randy Johnson," Torre said. "And it's even tougher in New York. This is a baseball town, and some of these fans think the Yankees are the only team in baseball. Now that we truly are, the pressure to win will be that much greater."

The mass signing, extravagant even by Yankees standards, caused the Bronx Bombers' payroll to skyrocket from a former league high of $149 million to $5.6 billion. Cashman noted that much of that figure is tied up in bonuses to be paid out to pitcher Tom Glavine, who at 37 will almost certainly not play out the entirety of his 15-year contract.

Baseball commissioner Bud Selig approved the signing, noting that the other 29 major-league teams received ample financial compensation.

"I see no reason why a small-market team like the Twins or Expos can't continue to remain competitive, just because it lacks players," Selig said. "The league was due for contraction, anyway."

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Jummy posted:

I don't even know what this is supposed to mean. My understanding is that LeBron was contacted by ESPN or whoever and only said he'd do it if the money was donated to charity. I don't get what's cynical about giving money to a charity?

"You know he's only doing it so he can write it off on his taxes" - Every racist relative of mine who does the same drat thing

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

ElwoodCuse posted:

The "winning a soccer tournament is consolation for the earthquake and tsunami" angle I've heard from some people is much more repugnant than "did America choke or not".

Did that just become a thing around 9/11? That's the earliest I can remember sports writers pulling the "if ever a city needs a title right now" bullshit.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I know it's radio sposrtschat but Colin Cowherd just said that Brett Gardner would be the best player on the Mariners right now.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

unhwillneverwin posted:

So Peter King's column might be the worst one he has ever written. He brags about going to Europe for a month long vacation while he pities Albert Breer for actually reporting about the lockouts. I suggest the Big Daddy Drew takedown because reading the original article without commentary will just make you stabby.

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/2011/07/peter-king-knows-there%e2%80%99s-no-coffee-like-hitler%e2%80%99s-coffee.html

Edit: Someone created a piechart of the topics in King's latest column.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/63980702@N02/5978152672/

Notice how he spends almost as much space ranking baseball stadiums as he does on actual NFL reporting.

The reason he puts Fenway #1 is because he has good seats there. :whatthechrist:

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Mornacale posted:

A supposedly-respectable source of journalism putting out a "joke issue" based on favoritism for one of its subjects is actually pretty bad.

e: ^^^ And people are paying a subscription to read it.

Most of the people I know who read ESPN aren't paying anything. I haven't had to pay for it ever.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Another Moneyball is stupid article from Mr. Oozing pumpkin. I'm pasting it so you don't give him the hits he wants.

quote:

I won’t be going to see "Moneyball." The movie celebrates the plague ruining sports: sabermetrics.

That is not intended as a shot at Bill James, Billy Beane or Michael Lewis.

Wait. Hell, maybe it is a dis — an unintended one — of James, Beane and Lewis.

They unwittingly conspired to remove much of the magic and mystery from baseball. They reduced the game to a statistical bore. It’s no longer enough to be down with OBP (on-base percentage). To talk the game, you now must understand OPS (on-base percentage plus slugging), VORP (value over replacement player), BABIP (batting average on balls in play) and on and on.

There’s a stat for nearly every action in baseball. Little is left to the imagination. Sports were never intended to be a computer program, stripped to cold, hard, indisputable, statistical facts. Sports — particularly for fans — are not science. Sports, like art, are supposed to be interpreted.

It’s difficult to interpret baseball these days. The stat geeks won’t let you argue. They quote sabermetrics and end all discussion. Is so-and-so a Hall of Famer? The sabermeticians will punch in the numbers and give you, in their mind, a definitive answer.

It’s boring. It’s ruining sports.

Sabermetrics or analytics are overrunning football, too. ESPN is pushing a new statistical way of analyzing NFL quarterbacks, Total Quarterback Rating.

The nerds are winning. They’re stealing the game from those of us who enjoy examining the gray areas of sports. We’re about 10 years away from a computer program that will write stats-based opinion pieces on sports.

Last season, the basketball analytics crowd was convinced that LeBron James and Dwight Howard deserved the MVP over Derrick Rose. The fact that Howard’s whiny, immature crybaby-rear end was even in the discussion tells you all you need to know about analyzing the game solely on statistics. The Orlando Magic were a joke last season in part because of the immature environment fostered by Howard.

As for James vs. Rose? Well, James devoured Rose in the Eastern Conference Finals. Rose’s defenders — most notably ESPN’s Ric Bucher — argued that Rose’s inferior supporting cast is what allowed the Heat and James to get the best of Rose and the Bulls. And by the time James disappeared in the NBA Finals, it was easy to see the merit of Bucher’s point.

It doesn’t really matter who deserved the NBA’s MVP award. What matters is that there was a fun, yearlong debate. As much as we enjoy watching the competition on the field or court, we take equal pleasure in interpreting and debating what we just saw.

Sabermetrics/analytics undermines the debate. They try to interject absolutes.

No one will ever convince me that John Elway isn’t the greatest quarterback/football player in NFL history. I know what I saw. I don’t care that Joe Montana won more Super Bowls. I don’t care that Dan Marino threw for more yards. I don’t care that Peyton Manning’s completion percentage is eight points higher.

I can and have argued credibly and passionately that Elway is the best QB and player in the history of the league. You are free to disagree. I invite you to disagree. I’d love to refute your erroneous position. Just bring more than stats to the table.

The games are about more than stats.

That’s what bothers me about this whole era of sports. In my lifetime, there have been two innovations that have significantly influenced sports fans: 1. fantasy leagues; 2. sabermetrics/analytics.

Again, the stat geeks are winning. Our perception of athletes and their value are primarily being dictated by statistics. Peyton Manning is the king of fantasy football; therefore, he is the king of real football. LeBron James is the king of fantasy basketball; therefore, he is the king of real basketball.

Is it a coincidence that James and Manning have both struggled in postseason play?

I don’t know the answer. But I want to discuss and debate it. And I don’t want to do it with people who simply want to quote stats. The answers and the questions that make sports special, unique, our collective national pastime, can’t be found on a stat sheet. They’re in our imaginations and our individual interpretation of what we witness.

When the "Moneyball" movie hysteria subsides, I hope the sabermeticians STFU.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

hcreight posted:

I watched ATH yesterday. Bill Plaschke won and used his rant time to say he saw Moneyball and really liked it and sort of apologized for spending years bashing Billy Beane and sabermetrics. Then he backtracked and said it was still mostly wrong and "there's more than one way to build a team." That's still progress, right?

Ways to build a team:
1) Right way
2) Wrong way
3) Plaschke way*

*This is the wrong way but it is a lot faster.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Toffile posted:

Simmons needs to stop shoehorning things into tv adn movie analogies in general.

Though this will probably drop the volume of his output by quite a bit.

This is just like the time on Jimmy Kimmel where Billy Zabka

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

stuart scott irl posted:

Bill Conlin, noted grizzled old rear end in a top hat, guy who wrote this and this and various other pieces of crap, is resigning and hiring a lawyer because the Inquirer is supposedly about to drop a bombshell about him and child molestation. So there's that.

edit: actually that first one isn't that bad but there are plenty more examples of him being awful

Bill "Nolan Ryan and Robin Yount aren't first ballot Hall of Famers" Conlin

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Medical Sword posted:

it comes out that the guy is a child molestor and we're making fun of him for his opinions about baseball and sportswriting

I am withholding my best zingers until he is convicted.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Badfinger posted:

These sure are words that form sentences. I'm not entirely sure what they mean, but someone wrote them and put them on the internet and got paid to do it.

Conversely there is no proof that he didn't take steroids either so I don't know why sports writers use that gambit.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Mornacale posted:

You should know by now that "no proof either way" will be used by writers to justify whatever they want.

corollary : You don't need proof if you "know what you saw"

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

This begs the question: Did any Pittsbuirgh sports beat guys try to defend Big Ben after the allegations?

Yes including Chris Mueller who was one of the only ones to speak out against Penn State's handling of the sandusky business.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

ButtView posted:

He very well may be breaking NCAA rules to get these guys, but I will never understand why people think signing guys who leave early is immoral in its own right. Those guys leave early for the draft because they're really good basketball players, and every coach in the country would want them. There's no one out there who is turning away Anthony Davis because he's worried about it wrecking continuity. Calipari just happens to be a lot better than everyone else at recruiting.

And while he hasn't won a title, to act like his approach hasn't been really successful is just crazy. Only one team a year can win the whole thing, to have been as consistently successful and in the chase every single year like he has is pretty incredible.

Reminder that when the NCAA instituted the idiotic 5/8 rule and coaches brought up people leaving early the NCAA said "well don't recruit players who leave early."

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

seiferguy posted:

What did Posnanski write about JoePa that got his reputation hit? I was follow the JoePa / Sandusky story but not all the media narratives around it.

There was a media class he was talking to at PSU around time of the scandal and one of the students was live tweeting and this happened (sorry to use deadspin in this thread)

http://deadspin.com/5858278/joe-posnanski-becomes-an-unlikely-paterno-apologist

Some Posnanski quotes, obviously out of context and likely not transcribed precisely.
"I think [Paterno] is a scapegoat. I definitely think that...I think he tried to do the right thing, and the right thing didn't happen."

"The rush to judgment here has been extraordinarily. The lesson to learn might be that we screwed this thing up."

"I've never seen anything handled worse. Maybe how New Orleans, post-Katrina....Paterno was always dangled by this university."

"The only thing people remember about Woody Hayes is that he hit a player. I don't want that to happen to Joe. He didn't hit a player."

"If this happened at the University of Miami, no matter how bad it was, it wouldn't have elevated to this level."

"A lot of people came here to bury Joe. As a writer, I'm mad with that, as someone who's come to know the Paternos, I'm heartbroken."

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I get that this is what Skip does but today he said "I know all about RGIII. He STRUGGLED his first four games."

RGIII first four games stats: 92-112 (82%), 18 TDs, 1 INT

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Henry Meowlins posted:

So Nilish Prasad is basically the puppet master behind all of this, according to an update. He started dating Sarah when she was in junior high and he in high school. Here's an actual picture of the two of them from 2010 (source is deadspin)

So even the pictures that she now says are "really her" are fake. I really doubt she has even been the primary author of anything at this point.
She was dating BJ Penn?

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

R.D. Mangles posted:

I'm assuming that ESPNHS covered high school sports (which is sort of weird to cover on a national level), but I'm going to prefer that it was ESPNHs which is a variant of ESPN that only covers H things including:

-Hockey
-Hackeysack
-Hang Gliding
-Home Runs
-Home Depot Center
-Hawk Harrelson
-Hartford Whalers
-Harold "Baby Jordan" Miner
-Hippolyte Acoutrier
-Hungry Hungry Hippos

I think they did some crappy national sports mag that I would always take from my principal's office on the way to my planning period dumpski.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Badfinger posted:

That was awesome and everyone here knows sports programming needs more Mark Cuban style breakdown and analysis, and it won't happen.

My favorite ESPN show for years was Edge NFL Matchup with Ron Jaworski because he broke down things I would never see in a million years but did it in a way that was not condescending at all.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

MourningView posted:

NFL Matchup is probably the best show ESPN has ever had, so of course it has aired exclusively at like 2 in the morning for its entire run.

I only recently got a DVR so I am shocked it hasn't been cancelled yet.

From wikipedia As of the 2008-2009 NFL season, it airs every Sunday during the season on ESPN at 3:00am ET, then re-airs at 7:30am ET.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

So how long before somebody writes a contrarian article decrying Sandusky getting the crap convicted out of him?

They already did a commercial to try to rehab his image.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Q4txN1ut20&t=234s

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

http://deadspin.com/5920502/lebron-james-world-champion-cocksucker?tag=lebronjames

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Tae posted:

The rich have absolutely no sense in value after a certain amount. There's little difference between 200 and 500 million to a billion dollar corporation.

Having taken mergers and acquisition classes you can justify any price your boss tells you to.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Crion posted:

I'm still wondering if the network exec who co-opted Deadspin to do a hitpiece on her was FOX trying to drive down the market for her or not

I'm sure it took a lot of arm wringing for Deadspin to do something misogynist.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

I meant that, quite literally, the dude should've been arrested for rape, as he was raping a girl in the video. Get the gently caress over yourselves.

You meant the arrest obviously didn't happen instead of the rape? Okay but you can see where people got confused.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

MourningView posted:

Is she supposed to be ashamed of being pretty or what?

I know I am.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Crion posted:

Grantland's names move pageviews. The Classical's let me write for them before. Not too hard to figure out.

You're a writer?

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

jeffersonlives posted:

Median salary is probably free, average is going to be skewed by those at the top.

This is true but average reported salary is $49,000.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Grantland's professional wrestling pieces are so poorly researched with odd editing choices. This article refers to Shawn Michaels as Michael "Shawn Michaels" Hickenbottom but no ABC article would say Thomas "Tom Cruise" Mapother. Nash also lies constantly in this interview because he says people want to pay to watch big guys but ignores that he was the worst drawing champion in WWE history.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Bizob posted:

Was Simers the guy who wrote a really lovely column about Marcus Thames or somebody where he just threw in couple gratuitous insults about his last name?

I think so but he also told ESPN to go to hell over some issue I can't recall and that's why he's not on TV anymore.

e: found your article http://bottom-of-the-barrel.blogspot.com/2012/03/tj-simers-decides-to-attack-his.html

Rousimar Pauladeen fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Aug 28, 2012

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Barry Bonds made the mistake of playing a sport Americans know about and feel they can tut tut over his transgressions.

Lance Armstrong gets the benefit of the doubt from people because 99% of his fan base are flag waving Archie Bunker slobs who only care that an American won something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Niwrad posted:

And started a pretty large cancer foundation. Liar or not, his foundation has raised over half a billion dollars. He's personally donated significant money to it. It by all accounts does a lot of good in the world.

That's a good pickup. Although there will be no shortage of Boston articles.

Not when the money stops being put to research like it has been since 2010.