Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Crion posted:

Grant Brisbee and Jon Bois do great work for SBN even if they are a bit biased towards the animated gif files

Dental Plan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

hcreight posted:

He literally thinks this is how WAR works.

quote:

Well, here's what I think of WAR: As dreadful a year as the Red Sox had, they were 47-43 before David Ortiz got hurt on July 16. They were 22-50 without him in the second half. Ergo, for the Red Sox to be four games above .500, in that stretch, their replacement designated hitters would have had to come up 16 more wins than they did.

Yes, Ortiz was worth 16 more wins to the Red Sox than his replacements, easily outdistancing both Cabrera and Trout in that department. So David Ortiz is the true MVP of the American League.

Can someone explain his math to me?

22-50 = 72 games so .500 would be 36-36 right?

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Jackie D posted:

He's saying to be 4 games over .500, which would be 38-34.

Thanks I was ping ponging back and forth between normal .500 and sports .500.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Today on First Take Stephen A Smith said this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZEGv7RtfCI

” … Kobe Bryant is going to miss it because, ‘my foot is sprained?’ Are you crazy, Nigga please.”

However ESPN is "looking into it" and pondering whether to suspend him. Reminder that they suspended that one guy a month for saying chink in his armor in a story about Jeremy Lin.

As with any race in sports topic Jason Whitlock is threatening to "go off the reservation" if they don't clear this up.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Arctic Baldwin posted:

When did that happen?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxIT9Ipvtc4

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Declan MacManus posted:

Surely no person could be that insufferable in person

Never been to a goon meet you say?

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

seiferguy posted:

Randy Winn hates SA :(

I still don't know his favorite Pokémon or Olive Garden order.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PSwm73lCS4

Rick Reilly got caught on camera trying to steal the credit for breaking the Big Ben story from Ed Werder and now we got ourselves a slapfight.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Mornacale posted:

The local Pittsburgh reporters who had the story earlier than Reilly did are also quite nonplussed.

They forced Ed Werder to delete his tweet.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Peter King thinks the Ravens should draft Manti Te'o in the first round to replace Ray Lewis.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

MourningView posted:

Manti Te'o is a very good linebacker who would be an excellent value where the Ravens are picking, congrats on picking out one of the least dumb things Peter King has ever written.

That's why I posted it. I was so shocked.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

They were rebranded as Caramel DeLites after it was decided calling them samoas was racist.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Vertical Lime posted:

Speaking of Olbermann, he actually wants to go back to ESPN:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/04/sports/keith-olbermann-expresses-interest-in-return-to-espn.html?smid=tw-share&_r=0

Why not, I mean he's burned bridges with pretty much everyone else. Plus 16 years seems long enough.

Keith Olbermann posted:

I don't burn bridges; I burn rivers.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Simmons was suspended from Twitter for three days for violating the social media policies by accurately describing First Take. http://deadspin.com/espn-suspends-b...dium=socialflow

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Gendo posted:

Basically with someone like Lou who's kind of a harmless dumb, old guy who isn't out to hurt anyone I'd rather the reaction be less YOU FUCKER and more hey, c'mon Lou.

After 9/11 there was a big tut tutting article in the Scorecard section of SI about phrases we shouldn't use anymore like Twin Towers for David Robinson and Tim Duncan.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Benne posted:

So Tim McCarver confirmed that this will be his last season calling baseball

FOX will somehow manage to find someone even worse to replace him

Please be Artie Lange.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

ElwoodCuse posted:

Somehow this utterly forgettable SB nation post

http://www.sbnation.com/2013/3/28/4155656/heat-bulls-white-people-so-white-oh-my-lord

became a flashpoint for "how come there's no WHITE entertainment television" idiots. Like, way beyond the usual "don't read the comments" garden variety racism.

Oh please do read the comments because a bunch of twitter miscreants decided to defend the author by trolling the comments with ROLL TIDE PAWWL.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Yep. That's exactly what happened. As an SB Nation contributor though, I want to know what the gently caress the author used to get the story noticed via tags and whatnot :psyduck:

I'm pretty sure that's how the linking works anyway; there's a button in the article editor that says "promote beyond community" that you can click, and it means that sometimes via tag and summary linking can occur. As an example, one of my pieces got put on SI.com that way once.

The author is a fairly big deal on twitter.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Oh okay then. The whole thing is just weird though. Guy writes stupid and unfunny but ultimately harmless blog post about goofy old white dudes at a Bulls game and now all of a sudden Rush loving Limbaugh is weighing in. :stare:

Why do you hate fat people?

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Anals of History posted:

Not journalism per se, but Pete Thamel tweeted a two year-old story he wrote about Kevin Ware's illegal recruitment by UCF while Ware was still writhing in pain on the hardwood. It was a cynical grab for clicks and attention at the worst possible moment.

Then Clay Travis tried to defend it and showing the injury video.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

uublog posted:

Better yet: if he doesn't want to be criticized in public, he should just not exist in public

If he didn't want me digging through his garbage he shouldn't have tried to express himself creatively.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Declan MacManus posted:

Do people not realize how crazy racist it is to imply that an entire nationality/ethnicity/whatever of people are cheaters

Yeah that's what they do in Russia!

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Badfinger posted:

I feel like that was way more Wilbon than Kornheiser, but maybe that's just me.

Remember when they stuffed him on to Monday Night Football? After a few games, he kept up with the "football tourist" schtick, but you could tell (and maybe this is hindsight) he was wondering what the hell he was doing there. He would probably be be first person to tell you he had no business being in an "analyst" position in a football broadcast booth.

The ESPN book goes into detail with Tony saying he probably shouldn't have done it but shockingly Bill Simmons saying Mike Tirico was so jealous that he hosed Tony over by never laughing at his jokes.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Mornacale posted:

It should just be the defeated moan of a child getting slammed on

We already have that thread http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3510886

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Ironic that in Those Guys Have All The Fun ESPN execs said when Fox Sports launched in early 90s that they wouldn't succeed because they hired Olbermann and he was a pain in the rear end.