Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
Omar Minaya: Once the reports came out, you know, of course we had to expedite more the investigation. Early in the process, early in the process, when the reports came out, I had to kind of tell myself, "Wow, these things are coming out." And I say this because coming from Adam Rubin, okay, and Adam, you gotta understand this, Adam, for the past couple of years, has lobby for a player development position. He has lobby myself, he has lobby Tony. So when these things came out I was kind of a little bit, I had to think about it. And I was a little bit, you know, somewhat, kind of, we gotta find out about this. We really have to do a thorough investigation of this.

Adam Rubin: Is what you're alleging that I tried to tear Tony down so I could take his job? Is that what you're saying?

Omar Minaya: No, no, I'm not saying that. All I'm saying was, that I know that when you wrote the reports, but I am saying, that in the past, you have, have lobby for a player, for a for a job...

Adam Rubin: If I were interested in working in player development somewhere in the major leagues at some point in my life, how did that impact this situation at all?

Omar Minaya: I said, because, when the reports came out a lot of these things were cross... I said "Who's writing these reports?" and I said well okay who's writing the reports and in the back of my mind, Adam, you have told me you have told other people in the front office that you want to work for player development in the front office.

Adam Rubin: So what you're alleging is that.. the only conclusion I can draw from that is that you're trying to allege that I tried to tear everyone down so that I could take their position. Is that what you're saying?

Omar Minaya: Adam...

Adam Rubin: It seems pretty despicable to say that.

Omar Minaya: Look, was Tony the most-liked person in the world? No, he was not. We know that. And Marty, and you've been around baseball a long time, and there's a lot of people that are not sometimes we don't like, ahh, and, you know, and they're, they've been good baseball people. But, you know, I could tell you that he may, was he the most more-liked person in the world? No. Was he a good baseball person? Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
I dislike almost all noisy ballpark affectations, but I do sort of enjoy the kiss cam.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

I was driving so I don't have an exact quote, but Mike Francesa thinks the 2010 Yankees probably have the greatest infield of all-time.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Nodoze posted:

Last years was better by a lot and even then I don't think that's true

His rationale was, again paraphrasing, "three guys already have 100 ribbies with two weeks left, and the fourth is The Captain and we all know what he brings to the table!"

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

And if you want to include defense this one might have them all beat:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/NYM/1999.shtml

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

I wonder what Will Carroll thinks of the Sterger/Favre affair....

injuryexpert posted:

I once underestimated Jenn Sterger too: http://thejuice.baseballtoaster.com/archives/433202.html

I don't ever use :stare:, but uhhhh :stare:

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

chutwig posted:

"Wow, I thought since she's not ugly she'd have to be really stupid! What a wondrous discovery that she wasn't Paris Hilton after all!"

I'm more :stare: that Carroll actually posted that article himself, usually that's the article that third parties link to show how much of a nimrod he is.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

The broken bones posted:

why is it that Philadelphia is like the only place on the planet where black baseball players get undeserved praise and white baseball players are treated with contempt?

Philadelphia media and fans turn on players really quickly and usually for no good reason.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Guess who wrote the ultimate in hyperbolic articles, claiming that Cliff Lee not signing with the Yankees is a bigger blow to New York than LeBron signing with Miami was for all his various suitors, presumably including Cleveland?

Ian O'Connor, leokitty preemptively wins the prize for guessing right

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

toadee posted:

Ignoring the creepy 'Marilyn Monroe deserves to be boned by a True Yankee' subtext, 'jilted the Yankees like they haven't been jilted' is about the most awkward turn of phrase I've read in a while.

Ian O'Connor is a Bad Writer even as bad sportswriters go.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

leokitty posted:

Also who's the second free agent Boston signed for 100million+ ...?

I assume he's referring to Adrian Gonzalez, neither a free agent nor extended yet.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

I wonder how Heyman is going to reconcile this tweet with his bragging about #mysteryteam.

Jon Heyman posted:

hearing from multiple sources there is indeed #mysteryteam in on cliff lee. hear its not the #phillies, always a threat

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

BackInTheUSSR posted:

I didn't/wouldn't do that, I am not from gbs. But this list has Mel Kiper and I do want to text him and just start a convo and see if he replies.

Just give his number to Daltos and let the hilarity ensue.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Kim Jong Il posted:

re: Sanchez, one of these days someone is going to hoax Deadspin and they'll face the mother of all libel suits. After reading Shocking True Story, I wouldn't bet against sports figures trying to set them up.

I don't even get where their story is here. NFL player might have done something legal and not really even embarrassing based on sketchy photo evidence?

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

I CHALLENGE THEE posted:

The 'best' deadspin stories are the ones that don't get hyped up by Daulerio and come completely out of nowhere so I'm going to assume it's going to be a couple of pictures of the inside of Mark Sanchez's bedroom and a bunch of really circumstantial crap.

Oh that's 100% what it is, I'm just not sure where the "story" is even there.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

I'm still trying to figure out what the salacious story is supposed to be here.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

The funniest part is that Daulerio could only get the very generic "hooked up" into the story, which for a teenage girl could be anything more serious than holding hands. It's like, if you're going to accuse someone of having sex with a 17 year old like it's a big deal, at least don't hide behind weasel words because you're afraid of getting sued.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

jyrka posted:

Bill Simmons is starting his own website: http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Morning-Buzz/2011/02/18/simmons.aspx

This has been floating around for awhile, he hired away the one decent writer Deadspin had a couple of weeks ago.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Badfinger posted:

I don't know if people consider it "good" writing or not, but I really enjoyed the top article there "I was Teenage Hockey Message Board Jailbait". Here's hoping it turns out well for her.

She was the Chuck Klosterman of Deadspin. Take that however you want to...

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Players refusing to sign is usually a marketing thing and has little to do with the player hating fans. Pujols has an exclusive auto deal with Upper Deck, and many memorabilia companies want to keep their players signing as little as possible to keep prices up. It sucks, but that's the way of the world, although a lot of guys get around it by signing side panel or in marker instead of pen. And some teams discourage fan interaction for various reasons.

There are exceptions even among star players. I'm not sure if Tom Glavine has ever turned down an autograph request, which Willie Randolph used to get pretty pissed about because he considered fans a distraction. But he's got the older ballplayer mentality and doesn't give a poo poo that his autograph is nearly worthless even though he's a 300 game winner and sure HOFer.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

IIRC he is a notoriously slow starter and this season is (hopefully) just an extension of his normal "i need four months to hit like i'm the beast that i am" trait

Ichiro's worst OPS by month is in April but his best is in May and his second best is in June. This is all probably noise anyway.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Captain Charisma posted:

Joel Sherman thinks the Yankees should sign Carlos Beltran. The Yankees do not have holes at any of the positions he can play. Let's see how this would work.

They'd probably just trade Swisher in this scenario. I don't know why he had to contort around that.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

The process that is due on the moral condemnation a powerful figure who admits to actively refusing to be the whistleblower on child molestation is, well, basically none. There's a Latin phrase called "res ipsa loquitur" which translates roughly to "the thing speaks for itself" which I find rather apt here. The facts as Paterno has himself laid out are more than enough to bring a pox on his house.

The legal principle of constitutional due process does not apply to all life.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

The broken bones posted:

you're gonna start needing a translator soon.

It's also a legal principle involving negligence, that's the only reason I know it. Thank the gods.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

MorningView posted:

Res ipsa is like a first week of torts thing, and also the go-to fancy lawyer sounding thing for law students to impress/annoy their friends with.

Also has lots of easy pun potential.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

New York's numbah one in action, boys and girls.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

morestuff posted:

Who does this poo poo appeal to?

I suspect there's a bigger crossover between gossiphounds and sports fans than anyone would like to admit.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

So Darren Rovell is melting down on Twitter calling the extremely not-ugly Jaime Edmondson ugly because she didn't take a good enough picture with him last night at the Playboy Super Bowl party. It's incredibly hilarious. The special cameos by Evan Longoria and Jon Heyman are fun too.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Mechafunkzilla posted:

dunno but there seems to be a lot of guys named Mike

Mike Dupp and Mike Zaun are numbahs 1 and 1-A.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

OrangeKing posted:

I just noticed this week that the radio show formerly known as Mike Dupp changed to Mike Zaun. What's up with that?

NBC owns the rights to the Mike Dupp name and wouldn't sell them to CBS because they're in a tiff. WFAN didn't want to redo the theme song so they made it Mike Zaun and did a lovely dub.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

:ughh:

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

ButtView posted:

The best example of this is ESPN's Big Ten blogger. That poor guy is so awkward and nerdy and they keep making him do awkward nerdy videos from like his dining room, it rules.

Says someone who has never seen the Metsblog Minute with Matt Cerrone on SNY.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

It's a shame because Jack Curry is one of the few really awesome journalists and also like the nicest guy on the planet.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

hcreight posted:

recovery timetable allows for potential return this season

No it doesn't. Joba's going to need many, many months of rehab just to be able to do basic things like walk, and the fact that he can't throw is going to severely compromise his Tommy John rehab. There is no return happening this season. If all goes well, maybe he'll have a chance to make a comeback in 2013.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

hcreight posted:

I suppose I should have left that part out since the main source for that is Joba claiming the doctors told him that. But saying is Yankee career is apparently over without backing it up is still one of the many dumb things about that column.

Joba said under a best case he might be able to throw sometime in July, which would still almost certainly push his major league return back to 2013. And this probably isn't a best case...

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

MourningView posted:

The number of people in SAS who regularly watch mid-day ESPN talk shows is very distressing to me.

I think we have a lot of unemployed people in SAS. That's the only excuse I can come up with...

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

mikeraskol posted:

I was told something about ESPN recently that blew me away, figured this was the right thread. I have no idea if this is common knowledge and I should have already known it, but if you have cable, 20% of your cable bill goes right to ESPN. They bring in roughly 550 million dollars a month from cable companies before they ever sell a commercial. Makes the whole not-good-at-sports-reporting even more frustrating.

They get the highest carriage fees on cable by far at this point, yeah.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

BackInTheUSSR posted:

Jonah Keri has fallen way too hard into Rays fandom to be taken seriously as a journalist but I guess it's good that the only journalism he does now is Power Rankings on Grantland.

I think this is because he's busy writing a comprehensive history of the Expos.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Erin Andrews is leaving ESPN for FOX, which means after years of the Andrews vs. Beadle stuff they ended up both leaving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

leokitty posted:

She did a promo appearance to announce that ~Pauly D~ will be DJing some event at a Mets game or something :cawg:

FWIW the rumor is that the Jersey Shore actor stuff is being forced on the Mets by MLB.