Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

habeasdorkus posted:

I started reading Deadspin back in the Leitch days, and the journalism being put out right up until this past week has been as good or better than anything they'd done before. That's part of why I'm so angry about this- Deadspin wasn't a shell of its former self. Hell, it was better than the loving Dauliero era, and that's seen as some type of halcyon past. And it was murdered by chucklefucks who will never face any repercussions for their fuckups, or be held to account in any meaningful way.

This is exactly how I feel about this — Deadspin may have been a bit on an edge at some points, but it’s been pretty essential and doing good journalism poo poo for the better part of a decade (and even when Daulerio was around they did things like “try to replicate Doc Ellis’ LSD no-no using MLB 2K”). And it’s being strangled by people who don’t comprehend what they’re doing, won’t suffer from it, and might even profit off of all of this. It’s disgusting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

MourningView posted:

This is saddest I've been about deadspin dying yet

I can see the post now, using the Simmons gawping gif like so many others.

I’m absolutely not surprised but the combination of age and success has made Simmons the exact sort of shithead he hated so much in the early days.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Magnitogorsk. posted:

Why aren't the deadspin writers just starting their own site?

Based on the couple of podcast interviews I’ve heard, it sounds like something at the scale of Deadspin would require tens of millions. So yes, it’s not cheap.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

chunkles posted:

i'm not familiar with this and i have to say i cannot endorse a feature that hates on peppermint bark

considering not even brain damage could stop the 2018 edition, I don't think something like "watching its original web site burn to ashes" can stop the Hater's Guide this year.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Tim Thomas posted:

Of all times to be out of articles to the grey lady

Reader mode on Firefox/Safari should help.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

MourningView posted:

Between this and all their NCAA mall cop bullshit Yahoo is quietly the absolute worst college sports site on the internet

I think we can all agree the worst is Barstool but in terms of fighting for second place, Yahoo is making a decent argument.

That’s been my struggle since Deadspin imploded - yeah The Athletic is nice for real news but what about the loving jokes? The Ringer is too try-hard.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

MourningView posted:

The dugout got memory holed at the right time because there was a whole lotta racism and homophobia in there.

It's a shame it seems to be a victim of purchases, mergers, etc., but man I do wish it kind of just existed in amber like Achewood to return to. You're probably right, it's probably for the best, but when it was good it was pretty funny.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

ESPN's still trying to cut costs, and get rid of the print / long-form stuff, so these moves make sense. Whether that strategy is good or bad is another matter (spoiler alert: having no credible journalists is going to eventually become an issue) but between the reduced importance of MLB, and their focus on people who are on shows over pure writers, it can be understood.

I hope whoever is underwriting The Athletic has deep pockets, I'm subscribed and liking it -- turns out having a clean website and app without ads makes things much more pleasant to read! -- but it's gonna be a tough deal long-term with the number of writers they've added. Hopefully they've closed in on their targets now that they've expanded into soccer more, that should open to quite a few more potential subscribers.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

THE MACHO MAN posted:

from a strictly business standpoint I would think hot takes and broadcasting rights make a hell of a lot more than long-form journalism.

but yeah the Athletic is great

ESPN tried to be all things (TV, Page 2 online, good regular writing online, SI-style magazine, cell phone provider) and is re-focusing on what earns them the most eyeballs for the cable package rates, for better or for worse. When they aren’t carrying live sports people like watching people shout at each other, apparently.

RIP Grantland.

But yeah I’m pretty sure The Athletic is propped up by VC money “investing” to become the local sports page for everybody and hoping that enough subscribers = profits?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

In actual good The Ringer content, Bryan Curtis on Stuart Scott, five years after Scott’s death.

Five years?! Geez :smith:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

MourningView posted:

Their NBA coverage is awful aside from Shea and Netw3rk making jokes.

I've skipped over The Ringer for the past year or so except with longer-form stuff (like earlier Bryan Curtis) or specific writers, and yeah, both Shea and Concepcion are Real Good At This.

very glad I got an Athletic subscription, it's been worth the money if only for a much better website experience (since it's all ad-free browsing by default).

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Troy Queef posted:

see this is what I love about the Shutdown Fullcast: you go from serious discussions about the physiognomy of Toad, to an ad for some Vox podcast about deep-dives into the life and career of Nancy Pelosi hosted by someone with a name like Madison Crowninshield-Levy, and then right back to SACK TIME!!!

Night ham~

The Vox ads absolutely suck out loud.

The whole reason podcasts have gotten so big is because the content is so platform-agnostic (basically audio RSS feeds). I pay for Overcast because it’s an amazingly done app and I don’t want ads, not that I’m looking for exclusive content. Non-free podcasts locked behind access walls are going to have a hard time.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

INFLATE A SCABBY IN THE OFFICE

DO IIIITTTTT

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I cannot wait to read these blogs

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dinosaurs! posted:

Why won’t they create a patreon so I can pay for Newspin content?

The tl;dr was that to start back up Deadspin would’ve cost in the millions due to staffing, including likely the advertising teams plus infrastructure. It’s well beyond what a Patreon would provide.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

General Dog posted:

Rob Thomas isn’t crazy, he’s just a little unwell

Boooooo

PotatoJudge posted:

You missed what was at the time the greatest pseudonym, Ron Mexico.

Later passed by Carlos Danger, Pierre Delecto, and Joanie Pepperoni, the name a cop used when people tried to hire a hitman off the dark web.

That was a fantastic era for the early sports blogs. So, so good.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I’m gonna pretend this is all Oregon’s fault for flushing UConn at home in the biggest loss in the arena’s history :smugdog:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Declan MacManus posted:

ah yes, chuck klosterman, the bill simmons of music journalism

oh god this, this is the take I was looking for

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

The Fullcast ad reads are amusing but also what are you doing not skipping an ad read on principle.

The ones read under duress by Ryan Nanni or
Holly are good, but Holly even made fun of the other Vox Media house ads on a recent episode.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

The Mons Venus featuring in multiple stories is so fantastically Mid ‘90s Tampa.

Also amazing that about half the league in the ten-team days stayed in the same tourist villa such that trades would happen at a party one night, and the guy would just move his bags one door down the next day.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

this is my favorite video/joke of the last six months, easily

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

The Athletic has been actually pretty good the last few weeks. They’re letting the beat reporters pull even more stories out — the Blazers reporter is recalling stories from the Jail Blazer era, and the soccer writers in the UK are talking about “all time” stuff for the teams they cover. Considering the European soccer vertical only really started this year, it’s not like they’re re-using story ideas they ran recently.

Not having offices or rent to pay will help keep their overhead low as well.

I like it and I’ll probably re-sub once mine expires as well. When sports were around it was great.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

The IOC is so tight with video restrictions, they’re trying to get people to not even take and upload video on their smartphones for this year’s next year’s Olympics.

Good luck with that.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

DJExile posted:

It's exclusivity to the extreme, basically. IOC locks down their video rights to a crazy degree and pretty much only wants you seeing any of their events or videos on either their own platform or the US's national TV partner.

The dumber thing is how strictly NBC tries to lock major events down and only present them in prime time.

Which is going to be tough when everything finishes before 10 pm local time in Tokyo, and the East Coast is a 13 hour time difference to Japan...they’re going to be trying to sit on results that come in very early in the morning all the way to prime time.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Vertical Lime posted:

i know offhand that they scheduled the swimming finals for the morning tokyo time

they have enough clout to schedule some big stuff for american prime time if it's possible

I guess I didn’t pay close enough attention when trying to get tickets (partially because I thought finals would be more competitive). Swimming finals are almost all 10:30-12:00 local time, and the basketball gold medal game is actually the first game scheduled for the final day (before the women’s finals and both bronze medal games), from 11:30 to 1:30 pm local.

[Ask] me about how overrun the Tokyo 2020 ticketing process has been :v:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

morestuff posted:

I think it's less a curse and more that he's just a dumbass who should stay in his lane of describing bodily functions and complaining

To quote the great orator of our time, hindsight is 50/50

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2idvd1qebY0

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Wahl should find somewhere much better once this is all done. If The Athletic still has a money hose, he’d be a good hire.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Troy Queef posted:

a statement from a certain onion:
https://twitter.com/celebrityhottub/status/1251235319451713536?s=20

(and for all further reference do NOT direct complaints to @38Godfrey, but instead to @Bankoff and @melissabell as well as Ezra Klein and Matt Yglesias)

I’ve been dealing with furlough stuff at my work as well (on the receiving end) and Ryan’s statement about it is absolutely the best thing I’ve seen from any manager about this.

I’m glad there won’t be any Fullcast until they’re all back, and I hope to hell everyone furloughed gets through it all okay.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

This looks like something being worked on by Jason Kirk

https://twitter.com/VBSpodcast/status/1251376041651822597

no clue how sports-connected it'll be, but as somebody who enjoyed the "college football programs as bible stories/figures" podcast, it should at least be entertaining.

[edit]

Troy Queef posted:

it seems like Vox isn't taking the brunt of the cuts/layoffs but SB Nation is getting whacked

right, but as SBN is sports and all the sports are stopped, it sounds like that's what is driving things. That, or "we don't know how to advertise this weird hodgepodge of a site we have." Likely both, but it's a chicken/egg question. From that article it sounds like staff are thinking this is a convenient time for management to do work they had been thinking of for a while.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Oh my god it’s so beautiful

quote:

“We’re honored to join a lineage of past, present, and future herbs in sponsoring these writers”

Hah the weed guys have a sense of humor!

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

MourningView posted:

Yeah I think in general there is a sense that Vox might be looking for an excuse to cut the parts of SBNation they actually have to spend money on, as opposed to the team sites that are pumping out tons of content and generating a ton of clicks for basically nothing. It also reinforces that the parent company doesn't really understand or value what they do (as Ryan and lots of other people have said, if you're trying to write about college football at all and don't understand the value of having Spencer Hall then why even bother) so why should they all sit around for three months not getting paid in hopes that their jobs might be there when they get back? I think all of them are actively looking for other work now, as they should be, so there's no guarantee they're going to be available whenever Vox decides to end the furlough, assuming they even want to bring people back.

I think it’s also an editorial “how do we make these two parts into a cohesive whole website” which really hasn’t happened in...years? But that may be me being generous with their assessment.

SBN for a while has been team sites (which may now come with their own legal land mines, thanks to California) grafted onto a main page that also had MMA/wrestling and for some reason Outsports? And doing the sort of oddball video production that Jon Bois gives you?

Not saying that any of those things are bad, or that the site in that composition was bad, but it really seems like they’ve had a hard time putting all of that onto one PowerPoint slide for either upper management or new advertising clients. And if Vox on high is recommending furloughs, well, two birds with one stone.

I cannot also fathom that SBN main page only had one individual copy editor that whole time too :psyduck: somebody give that man an award.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

morestuff posted:

He does they’re just hard to find because ESPN’s site sucks

you misspelled "paywall" I think

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

MourningView posted:

read it in your browser instead of their cruddy app

It forwards on mobile.

Not like their website layout is much better (we still miss you Red Viper Grantland).

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

DJExile posted:

Larry Legend was a god tier poo poo-talker too

The Ath-a-letic just ran an article about this a couple weeks ago. Here's some of the gold:

via The Athletic posted:

Earl Cureton, opponent: He pump-faked a lot so you’d be running at him, and as you went by, he’d slap you on your rear end and then shoot the ball.

Xavier McDaniel: We’d been going at it all night. It was tied or they were up one. He just told me, “Xavier, I’m going to get this ball right here and I’m going to shoot it in your F’in face.” And I said, “I know. And I’m going to be sitting right here waiting.” He went to the spot and got it. He nudged me back with his shoulder a little bit to clear space. I jumped to try to block it. He hit it, looked at me and said, “gently caress, I didn’t mean to leave nothing on the clock.”

Cureton: I was in Detroit and I was guarding him one game. He was coming up with the ball and Chuck Daly was yelling at me. “Get up on him, Earl, get up on him!” Larry stopped, pulled up, shot the ball, looked at me and said, “You heard what Chuck said. He told you to get up on me. Get up on me!”

Michael Cooper: Robert Parish set a down pick, and I was like, “Oh, I’m gonna get this poo poo.” As Larry comes off the pick, I’m a little late. He gets the basketball, probably at the free-throw line at the elbow. Kareem saw I was a little late so Kareem switched on him. Larry gets the ball, he goes up for a jumper and in my mind I’m like, “I’ve got this poo poo, I’ve got this poo poo.” He goes up to shoot and hits Parish like on a pick-and-roll play and Parish dunks. On the way down, Larry goes, “Told your rear end.”

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Crazy Ted posted:

The only time I can ever think of that people actually wouldn't have been pissed that the Yankees won the World Series was 2001, and even then they curb-stomped the 116-win Mariners to get there so it was still loving great when they blew it.

I'm still mad about that 116-win Mariners team getting whooped in the playoffs, and the recent SB Nation series just opened those wounds back up.

the series is also right -- I don't need to see championship wins to justify my fandom and following of a team -- but holy poo poo, that was the year to do so.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

it's not traditional scabbing (breaking a picket line) but considering how Deadspin died, with the entire staff walking out en masse in solidarity, it's not a good look.

and then you look at what Vichy Deadspin has been actually publishing and, uh, yikes. "Leather jacket comedians" is a really good way to put it. It's almost like Barstool wearing a Deadspin skin suit.

also a bunch of other Gizmodo Media staffers have left (from Jalopnik and Kotaku coming directly to mind) and specifically pointed to the Deadspin issue as a reason why they wanted to move on.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dexo posted:

I'm not saying I endorse their content. I'm just saying I don't begrudge someone from taking a full time union position as a writer in a time and landscape where those are extremely rare.

are the new positions joining into the same union as Deadspin Classic had? I'm not sure, which was part of the issue.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

MourningView posted:

I assume you mean this thread and yeah it sucks!

https://twitter.com/abovethebreak3/status/1265417239647354880?s=19

People are always talking about how much better he was in the Page 2 days but his book and old columns are loving horrible. He was racist, sexist, and homophobic as poo poo back in the day in addition to being an even worse writer

I'm not sure I'd say "better," but "relevant."

Simmons was also the last of the writers before blogging and writing online got really democratized, but the first of a certain sensibility. I'm not sure early Deadspin holds up for the same reasons; Daulerio Deadspin definitely doesn't, and from his own columns, Drew Magary has admitted that he's changed a lot. Or even some place like EDSBS, I'm probably not the only one who remembers when Orson Swindle Spencer Hall decided that the cheesecake posts for the weekend just needed to stop and weren't really The Done Thing anymore. That is change and moving with the times; Simmons really hasn't changed, and multiply that by making a gently caress-ton of money and living a different life, and you can see how he's just as lovely now but for different reasons. And now since he's the big boss of his website nobody's really going to enforce word limits whenever he deigns to actually write something.

General Dog posted:

I think we've all learned a lot about what we can get away with writing over the past 15 years.

even more stunning are some of the real American sportswriting classics out there. Breaks of the Game has some moments that wouldn't be thought of or published in 2020.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Lmao I've spent years wondering if I was the only one who remembered, I think they were called "Bunda Fridays"? The mildest of pre-woke periods, but everyone has one.

it's the absolute smallest thing you can do but then we still have these clowns in the game *points at Barstool*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

watch their intro teaser video be a recreation of that loving "Accidental Racist" song or something equally dumb and "edgy"