Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

It's a Goog Day, yes it is!

Kim Jong Il posted:

This was on Primer today, and holee shittt

http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/editorial_opinion/letters/articles/2010/10/14/a_swing_and_a_miss_in_ted_williams_tribute/

Still not sure he's worse than Selena Roberts though.

John Henry Williams and anyone who says any semi-nice thing about him ever can go gently caress right off. :colbert:

On the other hand, she's attacking Shaughnessy, so she can't be all bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

barkingclam posted:

I like how he insults Kemp's girlfriend for literally no reason whatever. That's classy opinion writing, calling a player's wife a tool.

I think he meant that it was another asset he brings to the team, like having a hot chick around every now and then would make the team better. Worked for Kris Benson, right?

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

Very Fake Bleacher Report (http://twitter.com/veryfakeBR) solicited articles from its followers, so I sent one in...

http://fakebleacherreport.tumblr.com/post/3218889183/slidshow-25-reasons-why-you-should-let-me-write-for

I feel it's representative of what an actual submission letter to Bleacher Report would look like.

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Simmons is annoying but there's at least some potential for that site to not suck.

Simmons played a huge part in the incredible 30 for 30 series. I hope this gets just as much of a chance to succeed.

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

Halal to the Chief posted:

Agreed, though mostly because I haven't watched the wire and am looking forward to doing so.

An article based entirely off spoilers. gently caress you Simmons.

Yes I bitched about this in the NBA thread already.

The series finale was three years ago. How long does someone have to wait before referencing major events from a series after it's off the air?

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

I read and enjoyed Chris Jones' piece on returning to a baseball beat. I'm cautiously optimistic about the site going forward.

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

dr.freeze posted:

Is the content always going to be free?

Simmons has said that he really wants it to be, but he's also said that nothing's set in stone and the site will be evolving. So for right now I'd say probably, but you never know.

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

If he's playing at 44, who's to say he can't play at 45? Or 46? As long as he can move somewhat well and has the desire to play, he'll keep getting bench jobs and racking up the hits one at a time.

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

Badfinger posted:

Via HardballTalk, the BBWAA has made a second attempt at not being loving morons about Bill Conlin.

http://bbwaa.com/conlin-statement-2/

At least that's a slightly less obvious way of saying "We're not doing anything, gently caress you."

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

MorningView posted:

People harassing her was of course a totally unforeseeable outcome.

"We just want our largely male audience to congratulate you for humiliating that anonymous jerk of a guy!"

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

leokitty posted:

That's mostly number magic outside of August and September, honestly. Most of the time on weeknights it looked like this

[snip]

(about 2/3-3/4 full)

And during the first two months of the year the weather was terrible and it was empty

If following the Red Sox has taught me anything it's that you can spin a 3/4 empty stadium for game two of a doubleheader on a rainy Sunday with the worst pitcher in the world starting as a "sell-out," and the local media will eat it up.

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

chutwig posted:

"Sellouts" are judged based on the number of tickets sold, not the actual seated attendance that passed through the gates.

Of course. But when the actual attendance is that small, and tickets are almost always available day-of-game even when the stadium winds up packed, it's basically impossible to accept that every available ticket was sold to someone other than the Boston Red Sox.

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

Ace Jameson posted:

Yeah pretty much, although it's not even about moving up in the rankings, but getting an "analytical upgrade". He implies that they didn't do that, so I doubt they will move up in the rankings at all. Perhaps down??

They already did. FanGraphs revealed the bottom three today, and the Orioles are dead last; the Astros had been there for the previous two years, and they're #29.

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

The Dinger Machine is the gaudiest part of an rear end-ugly stadium that cost the residents of Miami an ungodly amount of money to build and will only serve to fill the pockets of Jeffrey Loria, who is one of the worst people on this earth.

But it lights up and spits water so wooooooo dingers.

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

seiferguy posted:

All food items at the ballpark are replaced with Chicken Parmesan.

This would be fantastic.

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

The broken bones posted:

Since Qatar is getting the 2022 World Cup, it's possible they also get the 2024 Olympics, but the ban on gays may be a far more serious issue for Olympics.

Maybe 10 more years of social change will make a difference, but Russia has basically banned homosexuality and they're in no danger of losing the games.

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

Neyer has a point, though; the world needs way more hate speech against privileged, moronic idiots like Rob Neyer.

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

zakharov posted:

I KNOW TRUE DITHCRIMINATHION ATH A BLOGGER

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

Roughly never, given that such a show would attract the same demo as Jimmy Kimmel, and he is on ABC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

Thaddius the Large posted:

Morons are a demographic?

White male sports fans, so...yes.