Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Tae posted:

Because other teams adapt too and they have more money.

just to take a really easy example, the 03-07 Red Sox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The last article I read there was Jim Caple complaining that "hipsters" were wearing throwback MLB caps, and whining that the Orioles still had the paneled alternate cap.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Yeah, poo poo, MLB was doing live streaming/MLBTV all the way back to like, 2002 or something like that.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I can understand them pulling poo poo off YouTube if they actually do have a paid-for service that basically gives you a video archive of every game of the last ten years; it's not as bad as when leagues pulled poo poo, and if you wanted to watch an old game, you either went to a torrent tracker, or were SOL.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Speaking of Grantland, the #hotsportstakes on A-Rod is pretty spot-on.

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/69942/hotsportstakes-alex-rodriguez-turned-the-american-dream-into-a-nightmare

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Well, since Brian Phillips got brought up earlier, this is sort of incredible.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

toadee posted:

I like how the embedded image in the article managed to mock itself:

Hahaha, it's doubtful, but I really hope someone did that to highlight how stupid that article is

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Rick Reilly's expose on Marge Schott is one of the best pieces of sportswriting I've ever read.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
This is just something I've always seemed to wonder about, but it seems like the NFL, out of all the original sports, is least concerned with it's own history. As far as they're concerned, if it was in the pre-SB era, it didn't happen. The early history of pro football in the US is actually real interesting, so this is just another thing to add to my "I hate the NFL" pile, but, hey.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I know about the Iron Sheik, but didn't Jose Canseco's account do things like publish personal details on his exes, or something?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Jon Heyman is pulling a "Shame on you" on Le Batard, and, at the same time, calling him "sanctimonious", which I think is illegal.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Correction: Jon Heyman called Le Batard "Santimonious", and not "Sanctimonious".

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

morestuff posted:

What exactly am I looking at, here?

I don't know, but it's making me feel weird.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I wonder how much money he'll get for "part-time" work, if what he's doing now is "full-time".

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I think golf is actually very cool. Racism, and sexism are both bad, though.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Quest For Glory II posted:

I actually legit enjoy watching golf on the final day because of all the people who gently caress up massively and start melting down. I would think any sports fan can enjoy failure.

That is definitely the coolest part about golf, seeing someone go deer-in-headlights over a couple of hours. Failing in golf is more painful to watch than failing in almost any other sport.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Gary Smith of Sports Illustrated is apparently retiring. Absolutely fantastic writer, I'd read any SI issue that had a longform piece he had written.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

chunkles posted:

What the hell grantland

Steven Hyden is so bad. I want to say he's by a pretty decent margin the worst of Grantland's regular writers.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I can swing wildly on Brian Phillips, but his article last year on tennis court speeds is pretty much my favorite article on the current "big four" era of defensive, baseline tennis.

http://grantland.com/features/court-surfaces-golden-age-men-tennis/

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

soggybagel posted:

You can have your opinions on Bill Simmons as well but he has called out the Boston media machine on numerous occasions for always dragging people through the mud on their way out of the city.

If I remember right, he was talking about how stupid the "beer and fried chicken" narrative that got Francona fired was.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Nice companion piece to Craig Calcaterra's "Baseball isn't dying you idiots" piece on Grantland today.
http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-dead-ball-century-mlb-baseball-playoffs-john-thorn-mlb-historian-baseball-decline-articles/

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Bill Simmons is badass.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Simmons was down to like one article a month on Grantland. I liked him but he hasn't been the main draw to that site in years. Really, I like everyone on that site except the stupid NFL stats guy who is never correct.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

zakharov posted:

As a casual pro graps fan I enjoy his columns, why do people not like him?

He is just like, factually wrong like 90% of the time when he isn't writing about official "mythology".

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
It really isn't, considering the list of reputable pro wrestling journalists is like, one guy.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

oatgan posted:

this guy

He's bad rear end.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The bad NFL stats guy could go to the mothership without a hitch. I hate him.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
IDK if I got inexplicably famous I'd probably try to get all my utterly talentless friends cushy gigs too

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Geno posted:

i'm already feeling Simmons withdrawals urgh

I want to see his reactions about deflategate and the Clippers blowing a 19 point lead in the 4th. Ugh just ugh.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Because they have excellent writers?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I'm glad that Bill Branwell found his voice as "tediously boring football stats guy".

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

hcreight posted:

Where do people get this notion that employees can't (or shouldn't) lose their jobs for misconduct outside the workplace? It happens all the time, in many different fields.

Considering who's involved, I think there's an anti-government thing where they're taking the position that the government shouldn't be involved in an internal family matter.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I'm sorry about mentioning the government in the first place, god drat

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Welcome, to the communism MEGATHREAD

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I legitimately want to buy this shirt because it's sick

nothing screams the soviet union like the grungy early 90s look

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Spoeank posted:

The most Darren Rovell thing happened

I like him too.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Crazy Ted posted:

Billy Haisley, word salad champion of Deadspin, just posted an article that includes the following sentence:

Jesus christ

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I think you should probably not publish poo poo like that if you are going to release multiple articles on how bad Bill Simmons' writing is.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
A huge draw of sports is the physicality and the spectacle. IMO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

R.D. Mangles posted:

Everyone needs their dumb poo poo to yell at.

Yeah but that doesn't mean that all dumb poo poo is going to be popular.