Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

skaboomizzy posted:

The San Francisco 49ers play in Santa Clara, nicely proving your point.

That's actually exactly what I was thinking of lol, or that old rumor about Oakland moving to San Jose.

It's not as far but there's also Washington moving from RFK to buttfuck nowhere, Maryland, and the Patriots playing in Foxboro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The combination of poorly paid athletes and sports betting has never led to bad results

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean functionally it’s no different.

I guess you could make the argument it’s easier to fix but considering what actually happened when this came to light it doesn’t look that way.

bookies paying off referees is a scandal, the league office fixing games is would borderline kill the sport

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I can't wait to go to the Sports Illustrated Urgent Care and pay $3,000 to get my hamstring injury checked out

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
is ken rosenthal making death threats

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
yeah but they still haven't fired Haisley

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
is it that they hate soccer

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
congratulations to Haisley for being the whitest black person of all time

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the answer to that is probably "small sample size"

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the most visible thing the NLRB has done this administration is try to ban the use of inflatable rats by strikers

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
does anyone remember the chapter in Freakanomics where they just went on a digression presenting well-known urban legends about "ha ha black people have the craziest names" as if they were facts

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
That's the exact type of complete marginal poo poo that replay shouldn't be used for.

There should be a real time timer. If an official doesn't see conclusive evidence either way in a minute, let the call on the field stand. Even let the challenging team keep their timeout if it's a 50/50. The rules were designed to be officiated by people on a field, not people doing Zapruder analysis.

I felt the same way about the World Seires play a few years back where a runner was called out because his foot lifted a millimeter off the base for a tenth of a second. Who cares. If a reasonable umpire couldn't have seen it in real time what's the point of reversing the call?

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Oct 27, 2019

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

skaboomizzy posted:

The alternative outcome is "Oklahoma's undefeated season remains intact through bullshit non-call" so which one do you prefer?

an official not calling a failed onsides kick where the ball skimmed against someone's elbow at 9.5 yards wouldn't have been a "bullshit non-call", lol

I mean fundamentally Oklahoma sucked rear end and should have lost but come on with that poo poo

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
really, i barely want to see it at all, cricket is the sport which comes the closest to that system (a borderline hawk-eye ball-tracking call results in the original call standing, but the challenging team retaining their review) but even that's caused review usage to become part of the strategy of the sport, and arguably affect calls (e.g. umpires calling close calls against teams with replays remaining, because gently caress it, if I screw up they'll challenge/being more lenient toward teams with no replays left), which is something I always hate about review rules.

basically, it's unavoidable to some extent, but changing the nature of the officiating will change the tactics of the sport, and that's something which shouldn't be taken lightly unless you think teams gaming the officiating is compelling viewing.

see also: soccer, where because of the 2-yellow-card = red card rule, you get situations where officials will treat carded players with kid gloves, because they don't want to eject someone over something which would ordinarily be a yellow

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Oct 28, 2019

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
it's fine, i'm sure they'll get several months worth of returns from the reduced labor costs until their readership craters

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The most problematic part of The Dugout was the positive portrayal of Jonathan Papelbon

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

morestuff posted:

If Simmons was coming up with a black pen name it would be way, way worse than "Jason Whitlock"

he already did come up with one, i can't believe people forgot jabaal abdul-simmons

(i always thought the jabaal abdul-simmons story was weirdly endearing even if it was clueless in the white-kid-in-the-burbs sort of way)

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jan 30, 2020

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Spaced God posted:

It's just furlough, right? I don't understand why everyone is acting like they're fired... Furlough means you can come back... Right?

.... Right?

It generally means they intend to hire you back at some point. Depending on unemployment laws, it might also mean you aren't compelled to look for work every week to continue collecting unemployment etc.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Metapod posted:

I read some exerts from early 00s bill Simmons for the first time. Oh God how did he become popular

this was the era where "cool" sports writing was TMQ and Rick Reilly columns in SI

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
anti-moonlighting policies aren't unusual but i can't see being a writer as a position that seriously merits them

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The Big Ten having eleven schools for a while did give it the chance to use a fun negative space logo.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Darren...

Got em

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

So It Goes posted:

I don’t really have interest in listening to politics through podcasts, but there is waaay too much genuine villainy and scum out there worthy of my contempt for me to get mad Obama-era douchey neoliberals who are (I assume) ultimately trying to make the world a genuinely better place.

just ad an example, the guy behind the enormous Lyft campaign which is basically "let's get around all labor laws by inventing a new class of contractor that totally isn't an employee" that is basically Lochner era bullshit, is an ex Obama finance guy

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i would solve this by simply merging every single league in europe from the amateur level up into a mega-pyramid system where conceivably you'd have to have low level teams in Ireland have to travel to Macedonia for Super Europe League Level 19 Matchday 5 or some poo poo

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
seems unfair that Naomi Osaka can't evade a single reporter but Serena can hide in panic rooms to avoid dope testers all day

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I don't think that website has ever had good writing. It's pretty clearly just window dressing for the podcasts which is all they really care about.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The WSJ has by far the worst op-ed section of any major paper, even the NYT, though their actual reporting tends to be reliable.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

stephen a smith voice: BUT!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

nikosoft posted:

Anyway, Defector good. It took a while, but I'm finally over my compulsive midday work habit of typing "dea-" into my browser address bar.

i just got over typing in "gra-" like this year

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

i am absolutely not reading this poo poo

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the jabaal abdul-simmons stuff is legitimately hilarious. i mean like the stuff where as a kid he liked basketball so much that he wanted to be black is kind of (maybe) normal kid stuff

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i think primarily it's just really funny op

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
speaking of weird racial bits in old popular books

Feels Villeneuve posted:

does anyone remember the chapter in Freakanomics where they just went on a digression presenting well-known urban legends about "ha ha black people have the craziest names" as if they were facts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

So It Goes posted:

The most insane Bill Simmons take will always be that Memphis sports crowds get more tense than in other cities because MLK was shot there.

Lmao