Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

People say we suck at sports but they don't understand
It's hard to catch with holes right through your hands

Groucho Marxist posted:

A high profile pet project website ran by a major media conglomerate forgot to update their domain that expired under a month after the hyped launch of said website. :cawg:

It says that the site expired in 2008 when I load it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

The broken bones posted:

Is there any content on Deadspin that's worthwhile anymore?

They did that thing about BYU's honor code last year and that was decent enough. Not really anything exceptional, anymore.

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

BackInTheUSSR posted:

dane cook would work but his only knowledge of baseball is how many octobers there are.

No one should want Dane Cook to represent their city ever.

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

marioinblack posted:

I know Rob Parker is typically terrible, but this is one of the worst articles I've ever read.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/7429623/the-city-atlanta-worst-sports-town-america

I hate arguments that such and such team deserves to win more because they have more fans. I root for Tampa Bay area teams so obviously I am used to seeing empty seats, but straight up saying a team deserves wins based on attendance when the other team is near in the largest city in America is dumb as poo poo. Atlanta doesn't get any football games blacked out, and I've never heard issues there with attendance other than that Rich-Rod year where everything was a disaster anyways (and looking it up they were top half of the league that year).

By Rich Rodriguez do you mean Bobby Petrino?

Jim Rome is leaving ESPN...but going to the CBS Sports Network, your home for Marshall/East Carolina football games! He apparently makes the big chunk of his money from radio and does JRIB for exposure.

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

MorningView posted:

Darren Rovell is the worst.

The worst is not following Darren Rovell on Twitter and having to deal with it anyway because people keep complaining about him. Ignoring him is apparently the most difficult thing for people to do.

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

Tae posted:

Hey, you might say the phrase they used for Lin is just an expression. Could happen to anyone, right?

Or...maybe this is just what they do.

Obviously a photoshop, mentions a Western Conference playoff game and the NBA scorebar has East and West teams playing each other

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

SBNation's video initiative is in its infancy. Their marquee shows--Full Nelson, Four on the Floor, Shutdown Fullback, Bomani & Jones, and The Petey &LoMo show are all well-produced, for the least. I think they can continue to develop programs like those. SBN's shows in fall will probably not look like how they do right now.

I am annoyed at how frequently laptops are shown in these videos. Hall and Kirk's laptops have no reason to be there. As far as the user stuff, it's bad. Hey guy turn on iMovie and talk about stuff! is a real bad strategy. SBN wants a lot of original content to help their presence (which is pretty strong already), and doesn't necessarily seem concerned with quality.

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

Nut Bunnies posted:

I think the guy who runs SB Nation saw The Verge doing their videos extremely well and just figured "Well hey if those COMPUTER NERDS can do that poo poo, anyone can!!"

Or maybe it was a directive from Vox itself, which would be more likely

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

MourningView posted:

I like Shutdown Fullback now that Spencer has gotten used to being on camera, but it is pretty slim pickings beyond that.

I like a bit more of the in-house stuff. I found the process of making a football pretty interesting.

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

Crazy Ted posted:

Ladies and gentlemen, I present: We've Run out of Ideas

The Mets were having a star wars night vs the Nats and Snooki did a recent promo appearance and well I guess they have lots of hours to fill.

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

Niwrad posted:

Yeah, I'd be willing to give that show a try too. I hope it shows highlights somewhat equally though as opposed to 25 minutes on the Yankees-Red Sox game and 20 seconds for each other game.

You'll probably see more NHL and MLS highlights, and I think they're allowed to do actual video replays of the Olympics thanks to their license.

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

MourningView posted:

The main site guys get paid but I'm pretty sure the blog guys don't make much of anything. Or at least I know the BHGP guys don't and that's a pretty popular and well regarded blog.

The editors and columnists like Spencer Hall get paid, yes. The blogs all started organically and were then acquired by SBNation where they get larger exposure. Since the blogs are written for free by fans, there's a wide disparity of quality. For example, the Virginia Tech one started out okay and then switched hands and got terrible. The Key Play, an independent site, does a much better job (even while including terrible macros).

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

Drunk Canuck posted:

I'm interested in this type of hockey without faceoffs or the concept of wingers playing in-front of the net in the defensive zone.

Yeah the shootout is pretty interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

MourningView posted:

It's really awesome that Grantland has a regular column dedicated to more or less openly mocking First Take and Rick Reilly.

It's from Andrew Sharp, who did Troll Tuesday over at SBN. I'm guessing there's a portion of Grantland readers that doesn't get it.