Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme
Tim Kurkjian did a radio interview about A-Rod, and he brought up the time about 10 years ago, when A-Rod slapped the ball out of Bronson Arroyo's hand while trying to beat him to 1st base in the playoffs vs. the Red Sox, and I can't help but compare that to when Derek Jeter faked getting hit by a pitch, and the ump bought it, and awarded him the base. While A-Rod got completely flame-broiled over what he did as an assholish pure dick-move, Jeter's pretending to get HBP was lauded as a "smart baseball play".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme

nasboat posted:

Selling a borderline HBP is not at all uncommon and does not deserve the ridicule that the karate slap rightfully received.

My point is, if the roles were reversed with A-Rod "selling" a pitch hit off the knob of the bat like it hit his hand just as Jeter did, he would have been called out as a drama queen, bullshit artist, and pussy-rear end baby. If Jeter was the one who unintentionally/accidently swung his arm (on purpose) and by coincidence, it knocks the ball out of the fielders' hand, he would have been given a baseball Oscar, called a genius, and some ad wizard would have worked it into a commercial as a joke.

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme

Ratedargh posted:

Heyman is gag-inducing, which is a surprise to nobody.

I've written stuff just as good as that article, right here on SA. Stuff that makes people turn and look at a blank spot on the wall, squint their eyes and scrunch up their face like Bill Cosby, and ask that blank spot "Is this loving guy serious?"

I think I could get a sports writing job.

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme

El Gallinero Gros posted:

But are you old, white and cranky?

Yes on all accounts.

I was not that familiar with Heyman, so I looked him up on Wikipedia. Quote from Wiki:

"Before graduating Lawrence High School in 1979, he fine tuned his stickball skills at public school" That's nice, I guess.

"He is widely considered the premier baseball writer in the country." Sure he is.

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme
Jay Mariotti's return can't be far behind

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme

Mornacale posted:

I like how everyone arguing about how Puig will totally kill them in the playoffs completely ignores how valuable he's been in actually getting to the playoffs.

It seems to be the opposite with Miguel Cabrera. He costs the Tigers a run about every other game on the basepaths, yet nobody says anything because he is money with a bat in his hand.

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme
Does anyone else really, really hate Bomani Jones being a permanent fixture on Highly Questionable? It had a good dynamic with just Dan and his Dad, but Bomani Jones fucks that up. I really liked the show when it first started. I didn't like Dan LeBatard for a long time, his manner took me some time to get used to, and when he got his own show, I was skeptical at 1st. After just a few shows, with him interacting with Papi, I liked it a lot. It's like Dan, the successful sports journalist, in his family kitchen with his Dad, talking sports. How does Bomani Jones fit in here? Go back to Around the Horn, where you belong Bomani Jones. I don't want you in the fake Lebatard kitchen.

Nerdfest X fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Nov 2, 2013

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme
They will be on the grassy knoll with Obama's fake birth certificate and copy of "Loose Change"

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme
I know Skip Bayless is the lowest of the low hanging fruit, but this is the twisted logic he is spewing now:

The fact that Payton Manning led Denver to a 1st, a 1st, and a 2nd best conference rating, and didn't deliver a Super Bowl is proof that he is complete poo poo.

What the gently caress is wrong with this guy?

He did the same poo poo with LeBron James: 4 years in Miami, and only won the NBA Championship 50% of the time? loving bum.

I'm not a fan of either of those guys, but c'mon.

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme

joshtothemaxx posted:

Yeah the only good ESPN shows are Highly Questionable w Bomani, Dan, and Papi and Pardon the Interruption (which is fading as they're becoming curmudgeons). AtH is ok depending on the guests.

I really liked Highly Questionable, before Bomani Jones joined. The show was much better when it was just the father/son dynamic. He just seems like a 3rd wheel

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme
Less a wrestler, and more Jimmy "The Mouth of the South" Hart.

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme
I have nothing but respect for John Saunders, Jeremy Schaap, and Mitch Albom.

Yes, most everyone else there is a clown (Woody Paige, Dan LeBetard,), a blowhard (ESPN First Take, Mike Lupica) or both (Bob Ryan, Dan Shaughnessy, Tony Kornheiser)

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme

C. Everett Koop posted:

I read Bob Ryan as Bob Ley and almost got really mad.

Bob Ley is a legit journalist.

And, in my defense, I was only judging Mitch Albom on the merits of Tuesdays with Morrie, and Five People You Meet in Heaven.
That "single sentence paragraph, repeated multiple times for emphasis" thing is really stupid. I'm glad I don't read his columns. Or live in Detroit.

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme

MourningView posted:

wait that schlocky garbage gave you a POSITIVE view of him as a writer?

I hope you never break the rules here, because it's gonna be super awkward at christmas if I have to probate my grandma.

Jack Lemmon won an Emmy for Tuesdays, and when my Mom was sick, she had read 5 People and then asked me to watch the film with her, and she passed a little while after that, so I will always associate that with her, and I'm sorry you have no soul.

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme

Mahoning posted:

I'm more shocked that someone respects John Saunders. He was one of the idiots leading the "Notre Dame is racist for firing Ty Willigham" parade. There are plenty of legit reasons to hate Notre Dame, but firing that lovely rear end coach is not one of them.

I am of the mind that the deciding factor that Willingham was hired is because he was black, just so the school could show the world that they were not racist (which is racist) and once they had that "check in the box" filled out, they fired him. And replaced him with a real winner. Because Weis is such a better coach than Ty Willingham.

Nerdfest X fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jan 14, 2015

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme
Willingham's race WAS a factor in him getting hired at Notre Dame, for the same reason Charlie Strong's race was a factor in him getting hired at Texas.
If you believe that they were hired on merit alone that's fine.

Ty Willingham turned out to be a dud, and his incompetence (not race) caused him to get fired, but to say that his race had zero to do with him being the head coach in the 1st place is naïve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme
I can't stand how Chris Berman is unable to talk about the San Diego Chargers for 3 whole minutes without gushing over the powder blue uniforms. And his classic rock references, since I am old enough to get them. And when he does the baseball All-Star game Home Run Derby, because when ever some one hits a home run, he makes a stupid reference to some town or suburb 20 miles away. And Swami. And "back back back". And the completely idiotic names he makes up for players, which can't even remember at the moment, because they are all so dumb. (don't loving post how you think this one or that one is cool/clever/cute. It isn't, you are just a loving retard.) And his recap of football kickoff returns is juvenile.

I can't stand Chris Berman.