Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008
The WSJ baffled me yesterday when, in addition to Damon, they included Omar Vizquel in their photo collage as a "Contender". I love Omar to death and I know he's north of 2800, but does anyone at all see him getting to 3000? he's 44, for god's sake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008
As if the sports part of the article wasn't bad enough,Edwin Starr didn't even loving play at Woodstock. He didn't record War until almost a year afterward.

This is clearly the biggest problem with that piece.

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008
John Steigerwald with another gem:

quote:

From the 2005-2006 through 2009-2010 seasons, Alexander Ovechkin of the Washington Capitals averaged 55 goals per season. He scored 65 in 2007-2008. In his first 24 games this season, he had eight. That puts him on pace for about 28 goals.
Last season he had 32.

He managed one shot on goal against the Penguins Thursday night.

What's wrong with this guy?

There are whispers and maybe even some out-loud conversations around the hockey world about Ovechkin's problem being a lack of artificial help.

In other words, performance-enhancing drugs.
:stare:

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008
As a part-time Southerner, holy Jesus is that offensive in so many ways. Atlanta blows, sure, but for absolutely none of the reasons that were outlined in that piece of toilet paper.

I hate Northeastern sportswriters so much.

Well, I hate all sportswriters, but especially New York and Boston ones.

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008
To scale, the hierarchy is absolutely something like:

Philadelphia

Boston

Cubs fans
New York fans.

Boston undoubtedly has the worst sportswriters and radio stations, however.

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008
The problem with Cubs fans is that most of them have a persecution complex and proclaim their team to be historically unlucky. This is not the case- they have had all the opportunities in the world to succeed and historically bad management has squandered each and every one of them.

But, like the blithering morons they are, most* Cubs fans do not recognize this and continue to go to games and wear their merch and scream about their awful luck. They take a sick pride in it, and to hear 20 year olds bitch and moan about how it's been ONE HUNDRED AND THREE YEARS MAAAAN is just pathetic. There are ten franchises that have had worse luck than the Cubs in an average fan's lifetime. The difference is that Cubs fans, like sheep, do not recognize the real problem and continue to reward a bad ownership group and bad management with historically increasing ticket and television revenue while ignoring the fact that the people being given the money have been causing the problem in the first place.

*SAS Cubs fans rule and seem to agree with my assessment, this argument is not directed at them and should hold no truck with them.

Pat Clements fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Feb 7, 2012

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008
Murray Chass. The man you are looking for is Murray Chass, noted blogger.

If you haven't read that page, you should. It is hilarious.

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008

hcreight posted:

I would pay money to see clips of Norm at his computer drinking a glass of scotch and wrecking horrible people on twitter.
Unfortunately Norm has proclaimed he doesn't drink and hasn't for some time: http://youtu.be/G0ITh1K3mbw

But my god did he decimate Reilly.

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

EDSBS linked to this piece on former Memphis football player Dasmine Cathey today. It's well worth your time.

I like the piece because it got LOL COLLEGE ATHLETE CAN'T READ out of the way early and went on to ask questions that cause discomfort.

-Where should the proverbial buck stop when borderline or worse students are considered for college scholarships?
-Was it worth the time and money in academic support to keep Dasmine Cathey eligible?
-Why does Memphis continue to be a third-world shithole?
-How can children so swiftly reject the teachings that school offers, even in impoverished settings?
-Why does someone like Sharyne Connell not throw conniptions when asked to take on impossible assignments like this?
-How did this reporter get individuals from Memphis to even talk to him? (Seriously, how?)

The ending of the piece is also very poetic.
As a part-time Memphian I found this pretty fascinating.

Here's the thing: This isn't a Memphis-specific problem about it being "some kind of third world shithole" because the guy wasn't even from Frayser or Orange Mound or one of the shittiest areas of the city if he went to Ridgeway High, which isn't a great school but certainly isn't one of the ones where stabbings take place and none of the kids learn a drat thing. I have friends who went there, white and black, who were successful at that school and went on to attend legitimately awesome colleges like Dartmouth and NYU. Cathey obviously came from adverse circumstances but was not necessarily surrounded by the kind of culture that fosters a lack of academic achievement being acceptable unless you were an athlete.

The article is interesting as a cultural indictment on high school and college athletics nationwide, with Memphis standing as a shining example as succumbing to the culture. It's astonishing that the University of Memphis in particular could let this go on when they had the most successful regular season in college basketball history ripped away from them for utterly moronic academics violations.

Thanks for posting it.

Pat Clements fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jun 4, 2012

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008

The Goog posted:

The Dinger Machine is the gaudiest part of an rear end-ugly stadium that cost the residents of Miami an ungodly amount of money to build and will only serve to fill the pockets of Jeffrey Loria, who is one of the worst people on this earth.

But it lights up and spits water so wooooooo dingers.
Yes. Jeffrey Loria is one of the worst people on Earth.

Between you and me, I like the stadium just fine. And Miami is Miami. It is governed by morons. It is unfortunate and Loria is a swindler who probably shouldn't be owning a baseball team, but that doesn't mean you have to take it out on the Dinger Machine :smith:

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

Yeah, what the hell is wrong with the Miami Herald that they weren't publishing a story every day about how that stadium is a huge money pit?
Oh. They were. Them, the PBC Sun Sentinel, and the Palm Beach Post all continually published articles about the drat thing until the point where my grandpa, who was furious about the whole Loria mess, actually got tired of reading about it.

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008
In a more positive ESPN story, if any of you have Netflix and missed out on the 30 for 30 series all of them went up on streaming last night.

Watch them. All of them. Well, except for maybe the Red Sox one, which added nothing new to the narrative.

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008

Capt Murphy posted:

Well this is a great way to start my Friday and ensures I'll be doing a lot of nothing this weekend. The Two Escobars is must-watch for anyone, it's brilliant. Really all of them are good, but that one in particular is exceptional. Other great ones: Pony Excess, Who Killed the USFL, and Run Ricky Run :allears:
Yeah, I read in the Wall Street Journal(!) it was supposed to be up today but I'm not seeing any of them available just yet. Although it does say "streaming: coming soon". According to Instant Watcher, which tracks this sort of thing, they won't be up until the first of the month. Sorry if I get anyone excited prematurely.

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008
As much as I dislike them I am pretty sure the Yankees are an exception to teams honoring too many of their players. The only baseball players honored in Monument Park who aren't in the Hall of Fame are Ron Guidry, Don Mattingly, Allie Reynolds, Roger Maris, Thurman Munson, and Elston Howard. And Billy Martin, I guess.

Many of those guys have really solid cases for being in the BBHOF as it is. There's nothing wrong there.

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008
Keep in mind the median household income is about $45k give or take a couple thousand bucks. So if a lot of the guys still around have 20 years of seniority, then yeah, the picture nasboat paints of guys getting very little for their experience/education is accurate.

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008
For his penance Joe Posnanski should write a book about Dick Allen.

Him or Jane Leavy.

Someone needs to save Dick Allen's reputation because so many loving journalists hate him and it's very upsetting.

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008

leokitty posted:

Pinstripe Alley is terrible do not read it ever.
I was thumbing through it at the library today, as a matter of fact.

After reading about five randomly selected pages I gently set it back in its space on the bookshelf and walked away.

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008
Fear the Fin is a great Sharks blog, and South Side Sox is really good too.

I have no qualm with SBNation.

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008
Bless Jeff Pearlman for trying to write a comprehensive book about the 1986 Mets, but drat him for turning it into a fellatio session of his boyhood idols.

Basically, I feel bad for him but admire his efforts. The YouTube video he stupidly posted of him appearing on a local news station while he was in college proclaiming that he had voluntarily chosen virginity says a lot about him.

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008
The Tigers weren't "led" to the AL Central crown as much as "lucked into it because the Chicago White Sox went 6-12 against the Kansas City Royals and had an abysmally bad collapse".

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008
Yeah, I'm gonna agree with most people here and say that as much as Deadspin does lovely stuff, they're no worse than ESPN in many ways and occasionally the site showcases some fantastic writing. Honestly, loath as I am to say it, Yahoo Sports might top either in consistency.

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008

hcreight posted:

He literally thinks this is how WAR works.
I don't - :psypop:

Although the point stands that Ortiz had a pretty good year. But that's not the statistical measure of why.

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008

calcio posted:

Can we just all agree that baseball fans seem to care more about sperging over numbers than enjoying the game. The whole everything can be explained with our beloved sabermetrics is just as terrible as Joe Morgan and his everything can be explained by watching.
Except that's almost never been a legit thing. Advanced metrics serve to enhance how awesome baseball is, not detract from it. For a prime example of this, look at legendary players. I can think of very few guys considered all time greats at any point who have seen their stock fall with the strides made in statistical analysis. On the contrary in a ton of cases guys like Willie Mays have earned an even greater esteem and appreciate for how awesome they were due to this kind of stuff.

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008
Well scratch my back with a hacksaw, that sure is some wild poo poo.

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008
Has anyone posted the most recent Rick Reilly piece, wherein he presumes to judge for Colin Kaepernick in the most asinine and presumptuous manner possible?

Reilly's been on my shitlist for a long, long time, but this is a new pinnacle. Why should anyone, let alone a guy who claims to be a journalist, give a flying gently caress what Colin Kaepernick does with this aspect of his personal life?

Pat Clements fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Feb 2, 2013

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008

Crion posted:

Reilly predicted the Super Bowl to end 35-34 in OT today, btw (ESPN backtracked it after the fact to be 35-34 in regulation).

To do that, both teams need to get 32 points in regulation, which is no simple task. The three easiest ways:

4 TDs with 4 successful 2PCs
3 TDs with 2 successful PATs + 4 FG
4 TDS with 3 successful PATs + 1 FG + 1 safety

Then in overtime, Team A needs to score a FG on the first possession, Team B needs to drive to Team A's goal line, and then Team B has to turn the ball over to Team A then tackle Team A's recovering player in his own endzone for a safety, at which point Team B still loses the game.

That is how you get a 35-34 score in overtime.
This would actually be brilliant if it was a conscious commentary on the absurdity of every pundit scrambling to out-predict the prior guy in terms of prediction cleverness. Unfortunately, there is no way Reilly is either that smart or that attuned, so instead that's just hilarious.

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008
I've been pretty impressed with Sports on Earth as a whole since its launch. It's weird that they're already losing Posnanski to NBC but the guy's been a nomad over the last two years.

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008

morestuff posted:

My perspective might be a little skewed because I don't care about anything but basketball, but it doesn't seem like the editors at Grantland care about anything but basketball.
Their hockey stuff is OK, but tends to skew a little on the lighter side. I like Katie Baker and she's pretty entertaining, and sometimes shows these little glimpses of potential for writing some really good in-depth analysis. Unfortunately the format of her weekly column on Grantland doesn't really let her do that.

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008
He's a hell of a lot more of a man of the people than Rick Reilly, and for that I will always cut him some slack.

Rick Reilly is the worst.

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008

davecrazy posted:

Janet Guthrie just doesn't count I guess.
She is also probably the first aerospace engineer to compete as a professional race car driver, so double pioneer status is merited there. :c00lbert:

I had no idea she ran 33 races. I knew she placed 6th at Bristol once, but 33 races is some serious poo poo. She's in the Smithsonian, which is great, but you'd think NASCAR and the like would do more to recognize her legacy now :psyduck:

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008
What ESPN ought to be doing is hiring people who are legitimately entertaining and likable to helm Sportscenter, as their subsidiary north of the border seems to have done. Many of my Canadian friends watch TSN's Sportscentre for Jay Onrait and Dan O'Toole antics as much as they do for the news and highlights. The distinction here is that Onrait and O'Toole are light-hearted and enjoyable guys who don't take themselves or their roles too seriously - which may or may not be inherent to TSN's less dominant position over Canadian sports media versus ESPN's over the US' combined with the fact their timeslot is later at night.

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008
The day ESPN cancelled Stump the Schwab was the day they sealed their fate, frankly.

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

MLS is not a properly managed league itself.
I don't think anyone with any knowledge of the MLS can make an argument in good faith that the MLS was better off before Garber came along. It may not be ideally managed, but they've been growing the game at a consistently impressive pace and have improved franchise stability about tenfold over the last ten years. TV deals are getting better, average attendance has gone consistently up, and Garber's proclamation that it would be regarded as a serious league around the world by 2022 doesn't really seem like an enormous pipedream anymore.

It's really loving hard to grow a soccer league in the United States of America. There are lots of problems but I've been very impressed with how things have been handled over the last eight years or so.

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008

haljordan posted:

Yeah you have to appreciate the way he's persevered through raping some woman. What a guy.
Once again, the Onion has a relevant video clip for just about everything.

gently caress Leueke and gently caress the author of that post for not even mentioning his crime. Goddamn.

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008

No Safe Word posted:

Thus marking the first time in the history of the internet that comments on internet content restored faith in humanity instead of doing quite the opposite.
Given that the top comment was posted by someone with the username Rene BORK, I am reasonably certain this is because said comment came from one of our own. We are the masters of BORK BORK BORK, after all.

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008
Dude, like twelve posts upthread!

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008

FuzzySkinner posted:

Not to interrupt the rape conversation, but is ESPN apparently going all out on hyping the Miami Heat winning streak? It keeps showing up on my twitter feed from Cavs fans bitching about it.

I feel a lot better having gone out of my way to not watch that channel over the last couple of weeks.
It's been their number one story of the day since...I think...nine in a row?

That said, at this point in the streak it's pretty understandable.

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008
If you want to talk about ESPN not talking about the Blackhawks' streak (or SI overplaying it to a ludicrous proportion) then we're cookin' with gas.

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

I have to think this. I mean, not in a, "Haha, this is so ridiculous that it has to be a joke," way, it has to be a joke. If it's not, Jesus. I'd almost respect him more if he was alcoholic.
What does a disease millions of Americans struggle with have to do with respect? Let alone among sports journalists.

Buzz is weird in that he can write pretty well at times but often deploys his resources in doing so...questionably. Yeah. Let's be generous and go with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008
GQ's articles editor tweeted earlier this afternoon:

@Devingo913 posted:

Blanket tweet, since this is coming up a lot: No, this story is not an early April Fools joke.

So, uh, combined with Buzz's own usual sense of self-importance and the fact he pierced his nipples and all kinds of stuff I'm going with no.