Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

The Pussy Boss posted:

Oh my God... not The F-Word!!!

I guess this is especially funny to me because Lincecum has said gently caress on live TV at least twice and we love him for it. At least, I have never heard anybody in the Bay Area, media or fan, who has said anything negative about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Bigass Moth posted:

The DH is a totally worthless position but at the same time it's far more exciting than watching pitchers strike out 4 times a game.

But pitcher hits are the best kind of hits and totally make up for the other 90% of ABs.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

R.D. Mangles posted:

I think that Reilly benefited from a relative lack of decent writing about sports and his inspirational/shame on you/dad humor somehow convinced people that he was a good writer.

I don't really read much SI but my dad has a description and my memories of Reilly are mostly about how he wrote a bunch of hit pieces on Bonds. So gently caress Rick Reilly, basically.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
The Cubs franchise is like a small child in many ways so I can see how you would come to that conclusion.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
If Barry hadn't been blacklisted in 2008 he probably would have made it to 3000 :(

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Wikipedia says Seattle's winning bid for his posting was 13 million, plus a 14 mil 3 year contract. Obviously at the time very few people expected he would be as good in MLB as he was in Japan but even so that's obviously a huge bargain for the level of production he put up in those first few seasons.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
When the hell did they let Bruce back on KNBR? He'd been exiled to 1050 the last time I checked.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Medical Sword posted:

The premise that he is a good man who made a catastrophic mistake is not at all ridiculous

On the other hand, he spent the better part of a decade writing a bunch of hit pieces about Bonds, and taking steroids is a much less significant offense than covering up for a child molester.

gently caress Rick Reilly.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Badfinger posted:

The Rams aren't that far removed from being a marquee team, but the MEDIA didn't anoint them the best fans in the sport.

The Rams were godawful both before and after the Greatest Show on Turf, though. Those five years* were really the only time the team had been good since they moved to St. Louis.

*Four years really, they weren't even good in 2002.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
I remember watching that game. I was at my aunt's house for some reason, I think it might have been someone's birthday?

It was pretty awesome for me because I'm almost certain you could count the number of games where the Giants scored double-digit runs on one hand.

also seriously how do you give up a grand slam to Miguel Tejada in 2011

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Jaworski's got some QB Ranking feature going on for ESPN right now, because if there's two things ESPN loves, they are 1) talking more about quarterbacks and 2) list features that drive pageviews through fan outrage. But I see more value in this particular feature than others of its type because Jaworski does at least do a bit of film breakdown in his ~3 minute summary of each starter, talking about reading the coverage, picking up the blitz, the window of the throw, and so forth. There's a clear methodology to it and it's actually relaying information about the position, even when he's talking about some schmuck like Kevin Kolb. It's worlds apart from some random rear end in a top hat saying 'QB X is better than QB Y because he throws for more yards and his team wins more'.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

I wonder if there's some underlying reason that Reilly is apologizing for Armstrong doping but happily wrote numerous hackjobs about Barry Bonds over the years.

It seems like there's a key difference between those two men but I can't quite put my finger on it...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

FairGame posted:

In fairness, the author is probably right that if Lueke pitches well, the fact that he's a loving rapist will be largely overlooked by most people because baseball

I mean, poo poo; look no further than Penn State where there are still people happily overlooking rape because SUCCESSFUL FOOTBALL

Or Ben goddamn Roethlisberger.