Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
If I'm posting a new thread, it means there is a thread already posted and I failed at using the forum search correctly
I just got Scott Raab's "The Whore of Akron" from the library.

Alongside Bill Plaschke's book about Tommy Lasorda, it is easily the worst book I've ever read.

Not even halfway through, and amongst other things, has talked about his wife giving him handjobs, the smell of his wife's vagina, how he is going to commit violent acts against LeBron James (kicking him in the nuts, hitting him with a chair), and a paragraph describing LeBron's penis size.

He also likes to use the word "gently caress" in every conceivable way possible. It's like he thinks he's David Milch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
If I'm posting a new thread, it means there is a thread already posted and I failed at using the forum search correctly

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

For those of us who missed it, could you give a brief rundown of what Plaschke's Lasorda book was like?

It wasn't the content as much as it was the writing style. I got halfway through the book thinking I had gone full retard because I couldn't understand a word he was saying.

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
There were tons of three or four word sentences waxing philosophical about Tommy Lasorda. "And then, he was" or "For him, to be."

I mean, it was about 7 years ago that I read it, and to this day I remember it just for the terrible writing.

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
It was so long ago and such a confusing book that I seriously don't remember.

It went back and forth between the present and the past, so you never knew where you were in relation to time. He might be talking about Lasorda eating a hot dog, and then talk about a game in 1978, and then a piece of pizza, and you had to figure out which timeframe he was using.

I'm going to the library after work. I might try to check it out again and relive the danger.

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

Atlanta is a loving awful sports town but that has nothing to do with deserving to win anything

Never having been to Atlanta, but following the Braves my entire life, I was wondering if the story about the Ted having no public transportation to it has anything to do with the Braves' lack of support.

I would hope it was that instead of taking all the winning seasons for granted in the 90s.

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
So Deadspin is basically the National Enquirer at this point.

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008

haljordan posted:

Hey AJ, I got a pair of Joe DiMaggio's slacks in my closet too. I swear they belong to him. Maybe you can write a piece on that too. I think at this point even TMZ has more credibility. Christ.

Yeah, but do you have Joe DiMaggio's toothbrush? I didn't think so.

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008

Bigass Moth posted:

Cubs fans aren't bad at all. They have zero to brag about and their wining is easily understood by a Cleveland fan like myself.

My order of annoyance

1. Boston fans of any sport
2. Steelers fans
3. Yankees fans
4. Generic bandwagon "whoever is good" fan

I would add, "Girls who like an entire team just because one of the players 'is a hottie'."

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008

Crion posted:

Uh huh. How do you feel about the US Women's Curling Team, out of curiosity

Gonna have to go with, "Is there a US Women's Curling Team?" Let me go check it out.

Eh. Wouldn't convince me to watch curling.

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
Speaking of Adrian Wojnarowski, I just got finished reading his book about the 1992 Duke/Kentucky game.

Really really good book.

Has the book been mentioned in this thread and I missed it?

If so, I'm sorry. :(

But if it has, it bears repeating: Really solid book. It'd be especially good to read right before March Madness starts.

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
I'm about halfway through Dwight Gooden's newest autobiography. It is pretty good, nothing spectacular or new to report, but a light and easy read.

The only thing I read that I didn't know about/remember was that during 1987 when people were questioning whether he was on coke he denied it and then told everyone to test him daily if they thought he was on drugs. Something that, given the fact that he was on drugs, wasn't the smartest move.

Also he was asked by Strawberry to write an introduction to his (Strawberry's) biography (published in the 1980s) and he did without reading the book. Of course, Strawberry then went ahead in the book and said that Gooden was doing drugs during the World Series. Whoops.

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
So he isn't allowed to talk politics at all?

Doesn't that give him an out when he gets bored and wants out of his contract? Just start talking politics and then they let him go?

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
Let's pay Little Leaguers

Dan Wetzel wrote an article saying that kids in the Little League World Series should get paid. His reasoning is that Little League makes money off these kids with ad sales, etc., so why can't the Little Leaguers see some of that money, be it in college scholarship funds, or trust funds.

It seems sound. I mean, I see nowhere else in sports does an institution make millions upon millions of dollars from young athletes and the athletes don't see a cent of that money.

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
Has anyone heard anything about Mike Tyson's new book that came out Tuesday? I'm going to get it on my Kindle tomorrow. Although I'm wondering if it's going to be on CD. And I'm further wondering if he would be reading it.

Because that would be amazing.

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
I just got done reading Reggie Jackson's new autobiography "Becoming Mr. October."

Pretty light read, nothing outstanding, except in the book he actually used the phrases "LMAO" and "LOL" which was pretty odd to see for no other reason than it was a hardcover book and not a text message.

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
Wow

I don't know if I've ever really paid attention to this writer for Yahoo Sports, but man this is one of the most overly-written, Bill Plashke wannabe drivel I've seen in a while.

"SAN DIEGO, Calif. – Brian Wilson went to pick up the baseball palm-down, like a highwayman collecting a cone from the back of a slow-moving flatbed, and it's funny where an inning, a ballgame, a 3-0 start, can go sideways on a guy and his teammates."

"There are no heroes in March. So along came Wilson, and in came Smith, and after ball one, ball two, here came the cutter, and the inch or two where a game is won and lost. Like everyone, the Dodgers will see a lot of these moments, hundreds of them, thousands even, and they'll meet their expectations by winning most of them. Or not."

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
Just gonna drop this paragraph from the TCU story in here to make everyone cringe:

"Look at Buddy Dike, number 38, just behind old Abe. He's the Frogs' starting fullback and inside linebacker, and he's just gotten a good look at Jim Brown's 46-inch chest and 32-inch waist in warmups. Doctors advised Buddy never to play football again after he ruptured a kidney tackling another phenom of the era, Penn State's Lenny Moore, two years earlier. The kidney healed and hemorrhaged four more times, doubling Buddy over with pain, making blood gush out his urethra, bringing him within a whisker of bleeding to death, yet here he is, with a look on his face that might not be seen again until the day he loses his 18-year-old son in a car wreck."

Anyone who has ever experienced a kidney stone probably realizes this pain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
That article was like reading a really bad book. You keep reading, hoping that you will get to the good part, and then at the end, you're just frustrated and cranky because it all seemed like a waste.