Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I like how molesting children is cool there as long as you're able to hide it for 15 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

zakharov posted:

Why would the BBWAA say ANYTHING? Who gives a poo poo about the Spink award? It's a plaque and a speech that you can't undo anyway. Would anyone have thought less of the BBWAA head for a "no comment until the charges are resolved?"

Because the BBWAA never misses an opportunity to try to overstate their significance

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I will never understand the people who hold Bill Simmons to the highest of journalistic standards. That's not what his employer wants from him. That's not what his readers want from him. He's not a reporter. He's a guy who does columns. Sometimes I read them, sometimes I don't. I don't think they're particularly noteworthy, but they're ultimately harmless.

His writing is basically higher quality Bleacher Report, but he's leveraged his popularity to a) poo poo on ESPN when called for, b) give me a ton of amazing sports documentaries to watch and c) serve as the catalyst for the creation of a site which, despite a lot of poo poo there, has really good long-form pieces and gives me weekly sports columns from Charles Pierce. As annoying as he can be, he gave me 30 for 30, which, by the end of this year, will have resulted in nearly 100 ESPN documentaries as well as an increase in documentary productions by NBC Sports, NHL Network, NFL Network, NBATV and more.

Truther Vandross fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Feb 22, 2013

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Jackie D posted:

Wasn't Stan saying last year that he had a deal lined up with ESPN that mysteriously got pulled off the table?

as far as Simmons goes...he generally doesn't seem to take himself seriously, but then you have situations where he's legitimately upset that he wasn't made general manager of an NBA franchise. His column's are hit and miss, but I like his podcasts, and as someone said earlier, he'll forever be ok to me for giving us 30-for-30.

Yes. He said the NBA threw their weight around to make sure he was not on there.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

The worst thing about The Book of Basketball is that if he stopped trying to force dated unfunny references into the book, he could've put together something very much worth reading. He is, without question, a giant douche at times, but the guy really knows basketball and if you look past the horrible jokes and him pushing his gimmicky poo poo at points, there's a lot of good stuff in there whether people want to admit it or not.

I can't fault anyone for not wanting to read it because it really is a chore at times, but when it gets down to pure basketball talk, it's surprisingly good.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

ElwoodCuse posted:

If enough of the principles would agree to interviews I would unironically read a Bill Simmons book about the Real World Road Rules Challenge

the potential of an Oral History of Real World/Road Rules Challenge book is limitless because of how terrible all of those people are

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Seeing a Reilly link is like seeing a FWD: email from your parents. You know whatever is on the other end isn't funny and has already been beaten into the core of the Earth.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

The Pussy Boss posted:

Apparently it hasn't been beaten into the Earth quite enough, since the NCAA, athletic departments and corporate sponsors continue to make money off the backs of players. I'm not seeing the issue with this article; do people disagree with the point, or just the tone?

It's not that he's wrong, but rather that you can tell he really thinks he's relevant enough to push this over the edge. As if Mark Emmert is in a room somewhere staring at an LCD screen thinking "MY GOD REILLY FIGURED IT OUT WE NEED TO CHANGE THIS NOW"

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Caramel DeLite sounds like an Atlantic City hooker's name

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

morestuff posted:

I'm probably in the minority, but I don't think ESPN did much of anything wrong here. Simmons knew what he was doing, and the consequences.

hey man, Tina Turner knew what was gonna happen if she popped off again

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

morestuff posted:

No company wants its employees, especially high-profile ones, making GBS threads on them. Simmons knew he was breaking a rule he agreed to, did it anyway, and got a mild slap on the wrist. I don't think ESPN overreacted.

Come on

It's just loving stupid. There shouldn't any defense of it whatsoever.

It doesn't matter anyway considering Simmons surely did it knowing full well what to expect. He's the least expendable person in the entire company and he knows it.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

General Dog posted:

Simmons was spot on, but ESPN is well within its right to punish an employee for public criticism, regardless of the criticism's merits. Simmons could definitely thrive with someone else, but you're crazy to think he's inexpendable for a company with a virtual monopoly on sports coverage and a site that's going to get more traffic than god no matter who's writing for it. Their main incentive to keep him is how much they've invested in Grantland.

We're in a world where every other major power is trying to build its own network to cross brand with a web presence. He's never been more safe than he is right now. His fans are almost exclusively in the key demographic the company wants to target. It's not so much about them losing clicks as it is someone else gaining them because of Simmons. Are they too powerful to be knocked off - almost certainly. But this is not a climate in which they're going to test those waters by letting Simmons walk. FOX would back a dump truck full of money at his door tomorrow. They'd be dying to launch their all sports network with someone as influential as Bill Simmons captaining the ship.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

The problem was trying to make glamour cities love soccer instead of just adding soccer teams to cities already passionate about it. Adding Portland and Seattle has been huge.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

http://www.awfulannouncing.com/2013/march/sports-illustrated-to-give-peter-king-his-own-grantland-style-website.html

quote:

It's hard to believe it's been almost two years since ESPN and Bill Simmons launched Grantland. Now, Sports Illustrated looks to play copycat by giving its most popular writer his own, uniquely-branded offshoot site, according to Deadspin. The in-house working title, according to that report, is "Kinglandia," which of course sounds ridiculous and awesome at the same time.

:suicide:

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

jeffersonlives posted:

Yeah I just can't imagine why those companies are willing to put their logo on this kind of unprofessional trash without any oversight.

ad revenue at no overhead cost

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

FairGame posted:

Because then when you have an RFP you can massively inflate the uniques your brand reaches, and advertisers are generally neither savvy nor invested enough to really give a poo poo as to the inner workings of your number.

Meanwhile, the PR hits you take from time to time with this sort of thing just really aren't all that damaging externally. I'm sure there are people within the company who feel like poo poo and have a lot of internal meetings right now, but externally? Nobody outside the industry gives any fucks.

I'd be shocked if the CPM for these sites was anything worth writing home about. Suspect it's really just a way to get a prettier top-line number to be more attractive to advertisers who want the flagship brands.

I was speaking to the indirect ad revenue benefits as well. I was just too lazy to type it out on my phone earlier

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Vertical Lime posted:

The Nuggets picked the absolute worst time to go on a 13-game winning streak.

Also, SI says Rick Reilly is staying with ESPN. That's puzzling.

If Rick Reilly took a gigantic pay cut it makes sense.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Lol don't they own The Big Lead already? Because that's essentially what TBL is

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

MourningView posted:

You were watching that movie very strangely.

In fairness, if there's one group of people who probably can't process eating cake as a negative in any way, it is SomethingAwful forums posters.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Broussard's statement was civil but it still doesn't change the fact that people like him readily ignore other clearly expressed things in the bible because "times change" but still choose to make an issue of homosexuality.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Tim Brando is a giant loving rear end in a top hat and his daughter sucks too. A while back she made some passive aggressive comment about people who don't have jobs and got really whiny and defensive when people pointed out that her she was gift wrapped a job screening calls for her daddy's show.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

leokitty posted:

The only person who doesn't hate Frank Isola is Frank Isola as far as I can tell.

He made a really bad joke on Twitter one day and I replied with a Statler and Waldorf photo and he sent me a private message that said "Peace out you wannabe New Yorker" and then blocked me.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Vertical Lime posted:

Someone I follow has a good writeup on said ratings woes. I'll point out one part that is of concern:

http://www.sbnation.com/2013/7/12/4515728/espn-ratings-drops-sports-center

If anyone would over take over, Fox would probably make the biggest run, they're already number 2 by default right now.

I think FOX Sports 1 is going to end up doing a lot better than people seem to think. It won't take long for Onrait and O'Toole to be the combination of choice for people looking to watch a Sportscenter-type show. FOX is going to swoop in and be what ESPN used to be. There's too much arrogance in Bristol and it's going to bite them on the rear end.

NBC seems to be going for the niche crowd with hockey, EPL and F1 being the focal point of the network. They won't ever be a serious threat with those, but I think all three of those are offerings that have loyal followings that won't really fluctuate that much.

CBS is a total non-entity.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

haljordan posted:

I bet if the cash was right he'd consider it.

I'm pretty sure if ESPN was the last place to work on Earth he'd just rather go broke

e: if the leadership changed I suppose that could be different

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Even if he starts with a decent TV role, it'll be reduced the first time he sticks with actual numbers and facts instead of furthering ESPN's narrative on a particular issue.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Put a competent host with Silver and Barnwell and give them a show

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

AceFace905 posted:

I don't think Fox and NBC will be the leaders, but I think the hierarchy will tighten up significantly now. ESPN and Fox are still 1-2, but closer, with NBC even closer behind Fox. CBS brings up the rear by a significant margin.

NBC really isn't close to FOX at all. Unless they significantly gently caress up the launch, NBC won't be much of a threat to FOX.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Floridiot posted:

Is there anyone on ESPN.com worth reading anymore or should I continue to avoid that site like the plague?

Wright Thompson

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

jeffersonlives posted:

Almost all of the UFC programming that is currently on FUEL is actually moving to FS1, so I really have no idea what FS2 is going to consist of other than NASCAR practices and the other poo poo that used to be on SPEED that they don't care about.

Also only like 12 people have FUEL so there's that.

probably replays of UFC events and Unleashed still, plus supercross or whatever other poo poo contracts they have to burn

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Pete Prisco always looked like a gigantic douchebag to me so I'm glad he's finally confirmed that.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Reilly's entire approach now is pretty much just "bootstraps" and now that he's gotten himself to the point that he makes millions each year, he writes everything under the impression that laziness is the only reason anyone else hasn't reached his heights.

I have his first book of SI columns and it's loving absurd how much he's devolved. That ref suicide piece he did forever ago is still one of the best things I've ever read.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

cross posting from the NCAA thread:

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-fo..._medium=twitter

quote:

EVANSTON, Ill. -- The game is superficial, another victory on a growing unbeaten streak with no end in sight.

Ohio State is that good after a gutty win over Northwestern, the Big Ten is that average, and the argument of whether the Buckeyes are BCS-worthy will rage on with each passing week.

That's not the point here, everyone. The point is the man of the hour in this critical Big Ten game shouldn't even have been on the field.

The man who saved Ohio State's 18-game winning streak, the man who carried his team in the second half when All-Everything quarterback Braxton Miller couldn't, is the same man who hit a woman this offseason.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

marioinblack posted:

Shaughnessy should never be allowed to say anything ever again

I agree

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Sepp Blatter is worse than all North American commissioners combined.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Sepp Blatter's response to being asked about Qatar not being gay-friendly after awarding them the 2022 World Cup was something to the effect of "well the gay fans shouldn't have sex then"

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

What's really amazing is that Gawker hasn't found someone to do exactly what Burke does all day for half his salary.

poo poo on Gawker all you want, they retain their talent better than any other journalism outlet going. [Tommy Craggs/Grantland joke goes here.]

Gawker-style poo poo doesn't exactly open you up to a world of offers

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

AsInHowe posted:

You should've acted like you recognized him, then asked him if he was Mike Lupica.

hahahahaha this would have been amazing

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Benne posted:

I was under the impression that Iron Sheik had his agent running the account, and the agent just tweeted whatever drunken ramblings Iron Sheik had. Given that Iron Sheik is now a sad, broken down old man possibly suffering from CTE, the Twitter account isn't as funny anymore.

it's his nephew. Whether his nephew and his agent are the same person, I have no idea.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Everything Kluwe writes is one step forward, two steps back. He's championing a worthy cause but he does it in the most obnoxious, self-serving way possible in order to paint himself as a martyr. I would be far more inclined to believe him if everything he wrote wasn't covered in a foot-thick layer of LOOK AT ME EVERYBODY.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I'm not going to grace that with a click but I assume it's just "10 Reasons Charlie Strong Isn't As Black As You Feared"?