Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I spent a couple years working on a few different sports desks. The younger reporters were almost always wackos whose lives revolved around sports sports SPORTS, while the older editors were uniformly awesome, funny, well-rounded people.

I'm sure some of those guys will grow out of it, but I always wondered whether it was a generational thing. Are people just more obsessive about sports now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

If we're just listing great pieces of writing, there's always classics like Mark Kram's piece following the Thrilla in Manila and Tony Kornheiser's Rick Barry feature. Then there's the long-form stuff like The Breaks of the Game and The Last Shot.

Edit: In more recent stuff, I thought this piece by Wright Thompson on the disappearance of former Washington State basketball star Tony Harris was amazing.

morestuff fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Aug 11, 2010

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

Reminder that Rick Reilly used to be an insightful journalist before he got fat off his ESPN paycheck.

Reilly was relying on his shtick and hamminess way before he moved to ESPN.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Fag Boy Jim posted:

i'm not sure if this is the right place to bring this up, but does anyone think Deadspin has gotten really, really lovely in the last year or so? has it always been more about "look at the personal life of this ESPN anchor/sports columnist/Guy Who Hates Deadspin" than, you know, sports news?

plus they're always so insufferably catty, it gets on my nerves.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

it's bro TMZ, if you just look at it like that, it totally makes sense.

AJ Daulerio is a giant fag though.

I stopped reading it when Will Leitch left. The tone shifted towards dumb gossipmongering, and they started featuring a lot more stupid non-sports related stuff. I went there the other day out of curiosity and they had an article about that stupid whiteboard quitting story.

Someone linked me the story on Favre's dick or whatever, and it's horribly written and reported, even for Deadspin.

"SOME GIRL ONCE TOLD ME SHE SAW FAVRE'S PENIS BUT SHE WOULDN'T GO ON THE RECORD AND I GOT AN AMBIGUOUS MESSAGE FROM HER THAT MAY HAVE TOLD ME TO RUN WITH IT SO INSTEAD OF WAITING FOR HER TO CALL BACK I'M JUST GOING TO PUBLISH BASICALLY NOTHING NOW EXCEPT ACCUSATIONS"

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

barkingclam posted:

I'm in the same boat. When Lietch was editing it, the site seemed more newsy - there was recaps of major sports and links and headlines. Since Daulerio took over, the site's focus has shifted more to being entertaining then informing. It's not hard to find a day when Deadspin has almost no sports news posted anymore.

Case in point:

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Fag Boy Jim posted:

his World Cup article was the worst poo poo

i mean, it's fine to say you don't like soccer, but if you don't, please do not write a list of "ways to improve the world cup" that literally everyone has heard before "LOL THE CLOCKS COUNT UP IN SOCCER ISNT THAT SILLY"

i mean even Simmons never mailed it in that badly

I think the weirdest complaint was "The goalkeeper's hands look like marshmallows! Fix that!"

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

R.D. Mangles posted:

"Big, lame Freddy"
"Pathetic-o-meter"

Also an of/or typo, great job.

Edit: Pathetic-O-Meter? Is he trying to say that the Cubs are pathetic or that they're very adept at gauging how pathetic they are?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

This isn't really bad journalism per se, but I like to post this story whenever I can. It's my favorite piece that's ever run on ESPN. It just seems like a bet between writers that went too far.

quote:

Falcons' Ryan eyes Gonzalez with zeal

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. -- Matt Ryan isn't trying to hide his excitement about the arrival of Tony Gonzalez.

On the first day of the Atlanta Falcons' minicamp, Ryan took great pleasure in connecting often with his new tight end. Players wore helmets and no pads in their on-field debut for 2009, but having a 10-time Pro Bowl selection as a teammate delighted Ryan.

"Well, yeah, certainly as a quarterback, any time you get a new toy, you want to try it out," Ryan said with a grin. "I threw a couple of balls his way, and he didn't disappoint."

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Vertical Lime posted:

Thought this was the proper place to put this. Seems on par for Jay.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2010/08/espn-personality-jay-mariotti-arrested.html

I love the derisive terms they describe Fanhouse in. "Some loving website"

Also, I wonder when ESPN.com will update their front page with this news?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

haljordan posted:

That disastrous Sarah Silvermen tie-in that deadspin did really turned me off from the site. Is it any surprise that it completely blew up in their faces?

I missed this; what happened?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

DNS posted:

this, apparently:

http://www.mediaite.com/online/sarah-silverman-deadspin/

I didn't know about it before, but my appreciation for Silverman has risen after seeing this masterful low-effort trolling of Daulerio

Yeah, this sounds like a non-issue that Daulerio blew up about for no reason. I can understand the frustration with the situation, but throwing a hissy fit about tech issues is an odd reaction.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Craggs is good too but yeah that's pretty much the universal consensus.

The bottom line would argue otherwise.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Didn't know I had to be so pedantic, I meant within this thread. I recognize that TMZ for sports is a totally reasonable business model, and in any event we weren't really talking about whether being a good sports blog is better for the bottom line or not.

Sorry if it seemed like I was calling you out or something - I knew what you were saying. I just thought it was interesting that the site has seen a marked uptick in their hits since changing formats.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Bigass Moth posted:

There are people in every walk of life who think their poo poo doesn't stink. It's not surprising that someone who gets paid (probably more than most of us make) to write about sports (a job any of us could do) would be like that.

I think journalism, especially opinion writing, attracts more than its fair share of narcissists - you have to believe on a pretty basic level that other people need to hear what you think.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

What's the huge spike in mid-2010? The Jerry Jones drunk video?

Dunno, looks like something in April. Edit: Actually, the NCAA tournament seems like a likely culprit.

In other Deadspin news, Leitch contributed a weird piece today about Tony LaRussa and Pujols attending a Glenn Beck rally.

quote:

It's why you see scenes like this; the man simply has no idea what to do himself when he's not running a baseball team. This is not abnormal; the ant farm that is Major League Baseball is designed to keep the outside world as far away as possible. But this is exactly why Tony La Russa is attending Glenn Beck's rally tomorrow in Washington. He simply doesn't know. Glenn Beck is just some guy who's on television that he and Albert Pujols met in the dugout one time.

Pujols and La Russa — two peas in an obsessive pod, a pod that contains nothing but pine tar and protective cups — surely haven't thought much about Beck. They have no idea he's a glorified drive-time shock jock who is less batshit right-wing loony than he is a calculating showman who has mastered the promotion of his personal brand. He's just that nice guy on television — Beck, by most accounts, is incredibly charming in person — who invited the two of them to come speak about "faith" and "values" at an event next time they're in DC. After that, it's highly doubtful either thought too much more about it; there's game tape to watch, and dozens of situational pitching changes to be made. They don't know who Glenn Beck is. They work in professional athletics: They don't have the time or the inclination to care.

It's just a really odd point to try and make. They work in professional sports, so they're completely oblivious to politics and major public figures?

morestuff fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Aug 28, 2010

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

A classmate of mine got a job writing for ESPN a few months ago. It's been absolutely hilarious seeing people come out of the woodwork, trying to buddy up to him on his Facebook page.

"Loved your story today, David! If they're ever hiring at ESPN let me know! :) HAH, JK But really though if you want my resume or clips or whatever I can send it to you, just let me know lol"

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I CHALLENGE THEE posted:

Every fan graphs blog post is exactly this:

State thesis based on a current event

Lazily quote xFIP or wRC+

Compare to much better player

Come to an irrelevant conclusion

Is this like some kind of Bleacher Report built for nerds instead of idiots?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

leokitty posted:

I think it's fake!! So let me publish it anyway!!!

I thought he was going away?

Really? Who's taking over?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Bigass Moth posted:

I assume all baseballers are cheating in one way or another. Even if he's not, why would he ever intentionally do worse than he is able to? Terrible writing as usual from sportz media.

I'd ratchet my expectations back a little bit, considering it's a blog post on the site of an alt weekly in Houston.

Edit: A guy I used to work with writes for their sports section. He was a good guy, but a little unhinged. The kind of person who cares way too much about sports and is constantly posting off-kilter rants on his Facebook page about teams he covers.

morestuff fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Oct 5, 2010

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

BackInTheUSSR posted:

College journalism, baby!

(that's the lede)

Some ledes deserve to be buried.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

A few years back, ESPN's TrueHoop started a network that brought together a number of fan blogs under one roof. Today, the blog that covers the Heat was kicked out in order to promote ESPN's new Heat microsite that includes two full-time beat writers filing daily stories.

It's entirely within their right to do so, but I don't understand the logic. The Truehoop Network was mostly made up of small-fry bloggers doing their own thing - how was anyone going to confuse it for ESPN's product? How much of a draw is the TrueHoop Network that they felt like the old blog was going to detract from their new coverage?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I CHALLENGE THEE posted:

It has nothing to do with coverage. It reads like they want full editorial control, something they're not going to get from an affiliated blogger.

Then why agree to the TrueHoop Network in the first place? They didn't dissolve the network; they just replaced Hot Hot Hoops with their internal Heat Index.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Crosspost: He's a fantastic reporter, but holy poo poo does Wojnarowski need to stop writing columns.

quote:

Here was a “cancer patient,” as apparently K.G. likes to call them. Lucas died this week. He was 58 and lost his life to bladder cancer. Apparently, Garnett honored that memory with the mocking of the Detroit Pistons’ bald forward, Charlie Villanueva(notes), on Tuesday night. Garnett’s always gone too far, but never like this. Never this cruel, this twisted.

Nevertheless, it’s stained his legacy. This one promises to chase him into retirement. Beyond that of an MVP and an NBA champion, Garnett has gone to inexplicable lengths to craft a parallel legacy: a vicious bully, a cold and cruel jerk.

For all the instances of Garnett’s bullying available on YouTube, those two words – “cancer patient” – will never go away. This is the one that people will remember, the stain that’ll be hardest to wash away. Garnett’s 34 years old, and shamefully a man too smart – too principled in a lot of ways – to act like this. Only, he’s done it for years, and it’s now a bigger part of his legacy than an old Boston Celtics champion will want to believe.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Crazy Ted posted:

Just leeeeeeeeeeeeeeeean back and :stare:

Every time I hear sports talk radio, it's just dudes reiterating the same retarded points over and over again to fill air time. Who listens to this poo poo?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Just think of how many years of Simmons PTI appearances we were spared because he's (justifiably) self-conscious about his stupid voice

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Bill Simmons apparently went through his book for the paperback release and excised references to people who wrote negative reviews of his book. This includes writer Charles P Pierce and (apparently) the Free Darko bloggers.

He also started a public twitter feud with Pierce.

quote:

Hey CPP: took you out of TBOB cuz you trashed it without ever mentioning that you used to email me all the time until I told you to eff off.

quote:

I just thought it was dishonest. You came off like a spurned lover in that piece. But seriously, good luck with your red-hot career.

I'm not a person who rushes to talk poo poo on Simmons, but he comes off like a little baby here.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Charles Pierce responds in a particularly terrible piece of writing.

What a horrible shtick this guy has.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Drunkboxer posted:

Does Cowherd believe any of the things he says? This is a honest question as I can't tell if he's loving with me, trying to make people mad, or if he actually thinks he's right.

I'd bet on a combination of the three.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I poo poo on Deadspin earlier in the thread, but I've been enjoying their guest columns by former NFL player Nate Jackson.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

This falls more on the editors than the writer, but good lord is the illustration paired with the latest Simmons column atrocious:

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

leokitty posted:

The show is taped a week ahead of time (or it was planned to, I am not sure if they've changed that) which I think is a big drawback.

A friend of mine who works at the AV Club told me they'd already filmed the entire season, so I wouldn't expect anything topical. I could have misinterpreted what she was saying, though.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I CHALLENGE THEE posted:

More heavy hitting journalism from espnW (originally posted by Crazy Ted in the MLS thread).

It sounds like she has an understandable perspective and is just reporting on some fans' reaction to the sponsorship news. I don't see the problem.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I CHALLENGE THEE posted:

It's just dumb and not news. People from Philadelphiatwitter by in large are very stupid, check out the trending topics for confirmation. If espnW is trying to legitimize itself, posting articles about how a bread company's name may or may not be sexist is not the way to do it.

It doesn't claim to be news, either. ESPNw is just a blog/portal that focuses on women in sports.

The headline wasn't really the best choice, but it's a post that reports on a topic, distances itself from a dumb viewpoint and then asks for comments.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

AOL is laying off a large portion of their staff at Fanhouse and turning over coverage to the Sporting News, effective in March.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Crazy Ted posted:

He really does this to be an rear end in a top hat. I love how he just casually talks about how he felt bad about that video because it was "possibly rape".

The article also makes it sound incredibly misogynistic. "At first I was all, "gently caress, you, you dumb oval office, you're getting what you deserved. But I had never stopped to consider what her father might be going through."

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Hmm that is true...

Have any of you guys been on the site since they redid the layout?? gently caress, it sucks.

I like the concept of a main section that allows them to highlight featured stories - their Superbowl Morning After that's up right now looks pretty good.

Stories do tend to get lost in the sidebar, though, and being forced to navigate it without the option of a scroll bar feels a little weird at first.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I CHALLENGE THEE posted:

ahahaha the Mark Sanchez story is literally a girl saying "omg mark sanchez texted me" on facebook and pictures of his bedroom. Cutting edge journalism.

Also nice: the money shot photos are breaking the new design on my browser.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I love reading about sports before 1990, when players would doubleteam groupies under the bleachers before eating two Big Macs (with a side of nose candy) and punching an opponent in the back of the head.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

nasboat posted:

How similar are Kevin Durant and my son?

seriously, who the gently caress greenlit this column idea in the first place?

The real shame is that everywhere else I've seen pieces on Durant, he genuinely does come off as likable, hard-working and funny. ESPN got him this sit-down and he wasted it entirely on a stupid gimmick that tells you nothing and isn't particularly interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

leokitty posted:

That post highlights how terrible their new article layouts are.

You'd think they would have noticed this would be an issue when they were building it, considering their ads end up breaking articles half of the time anyway.