Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

I didn't see anyone link it in the last few pages but my debut on the site was "in the middle of the loving walkout." https://deadspin.com/my-life-as-a-minor-league-baseball-clown-1838896213 please say good things about my writing, working with David Roth was an honor.

This was really great and it's a real shame the comments aren't open so everyone can tell you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

General Dog posted:

This is actually interesting information imo.

It's interesting information in a vacuum, it says something important about mass media in the US. You really get the sense Rovell only posted it because he gets rock hard thinking about that much money changing hands, though. He's irredeemable.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

AV Club still has good film criticism imo, I find my taste aligns with their reviewers' more consistently than just about any other outlet. But you only need to check that like once a week at the most.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

That's a good take tbh

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

God, he is such a good writer

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Every one of these headlines (and that tweet) reads like the Jon Bois NFL overtime rules tweet.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Niwrad posted:

The six-time NBA champion, seven-time all star, NBA 50th Anniversary All-time Team member, and two-time Hall of Fame inductee underrated Scottie Pippen

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Management was using the pandemic as an excuse to demand he take a permanent 30% paycut

E: oop

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Aw gently caress Tarvaris Jackson died? :smith:

Cognac McCarthy fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Apr 15, 2020

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

I have Jizyah Shorts' business card. My wife started a job last year in a field that is, I guess, adjacent to Ms. Shorts', right after the NOTY Deadcast. She came into work on one of her first days only to find her card waiting on her desk. We cherish it.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Declan MacManus posted:

i turned off my adblocker because i was too lazy to noscript it and jesus christ it had every bad thing imaginable: whole page fill ads with a tiny x in the corner, autoplaying video, banners and advertisements that render only a quarter of the screen actual legible content

modern news media is hell

The tweet was already deleted, which article was it?

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

General Dog posted:

Gundy’s on field performance at Oklahoma State has been pretty unimpeachable when you look at what that program has been historically

Sadly, he's right in line with the historical norm off the field

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

I had somehow never seen that gif of Rovell, uh, "running" until now, amazing

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

chunkles posted:

wait what. that seems like a great reason to remove an owner

The league (i.e. the other owners) would need to vote to remove him. If he makes the team suck, removing him would cost the other teams wins, so they want him to stay.:pseudo:

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Back before his gimmick wore itself out, PFTC was pretty funny for more than just ironic racism. It felt to me like a very specific parody developed through real observation of dumb sports fans, especially older ones who complained about even the slightest degree of analytics, and who resented players who wanted to be treated like professionals. A Barstool Commenter character would be literally indistinguishable from any ordinary Pats fan though, and we've all read throwaway parodies of them already

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Scaramouche posted:

Does this take air out of the room for athletic somewhat I wonder, or is there not much cross over between rabid "covers my teams in minute details" and "snarks on sports in gener'?

I started an Athletic subscription in January when I was mad about losing Deadspin and wanted an alternative to ad-supported writing. The problem has been that once the NFL season ended I really stopped caring about the in depth articles they were putting out. I don't think I've checked it in months (the lack of sports doesn't help). I used to read Deadspin year round, and I'm sure I'd still be reading them through the COVID sports drought. Today I subscribed to Defector and canceled my Athletic subscription.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

DJExile posted:

the new WYTS about the Lions doesn't have a comment from ZODIAC MOTHERFUCKER

did he finally swear off that team

I want to say he swore the fandom off two years ago in his WYTS submission, and was absent from last year's entry as well.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

AndrewP posted:

I used to complain about the tiered Kinja comment system, but the first thing I did at Defector was sort by +1s.

I hope all the funny commentors come back. Deadspin's comment section was a rare thing.

Im posting there, so you're welcome

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

This is perfect, thanks my friend

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Was Taters posted:

Did I miss it?

https://defector.com/naomi-osaka-asked-the-right-question/

It's not really about the match itself though

Cognac McCarthy fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Sep 13, 2020

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It was a good comment.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Drew Magary's profile of Al Michaels in Defector today is really great. It's very direct in its criticism but also very adoring, in a way that doesn't feel disharmonious. Drew comes across like such a goofy idiot on the podcast, including when he has a guest to interview, that it's legitimately bewildering to read something so thoughtful from him.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

https://mobile.twitter.com/redford/status/1324453078599229440

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

FMguru posted:

It's this. Every single person moaning about how 'Cancel Culture' has gone too far has a closet full of skeletons they're hoping never gets opened.

I read this as "every single person moaning about cancel culture has gone too far in a closet full of skeletons", which is a very specific accusation.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Already deleted, what did it say? Also what does this Callum Underwood guy have to do with Defector?

Cognac McCarthy fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Dec 20, 2020

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Adun posted:

I mean big picture it seems pretty weird that no one who writes about video games for a living ever broke the story that an incredibly popular game that was under development for close a decade was pretty much unplayable for a majority of the people who were going to buy it. Did no one talk to like their contacts at the developer off the record or something?

I don't read IGN but every review I read was upfront about the fact that they were playing on PC, and that there were bugs. That doesn't mean those reviewers or outlets are immune from criticism but it's not like every outlet that gave the game a positive review hid the bugs. Also I could be wrong about this but I can't remember ever seeing a game in which bugs are so directly tied to hardware performance – you might ordinarily expect a game to be poorly optimized, but the outright bugginess of the game on all older hardware, including PCs, seems very odd to me, to the point where I can understand why reviewers might not think to add "the console versions might be absolutely unplayable!" to the "we only played this on PC" that most do seem to have included.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

jackofarcades posted:

well considering the police aren't doing poo poo, then perhaps

What do you mean? A bunch of off duty cops just stormed the Capitol. They're strong and clearly we must appease them

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

General Dog posted:

I know fair use is always something of a moving target, but isn't part of it whether the use in question could be an acceptable substitute for the work itself? What's the overlap of people who want to read/listen to the book in earnest, and people who want to listen to it in full with commentary from rear end Dan and the Scrotum Steve of Barstool Sports?

It doesn't matter whether the intended audience is likely to buy the book. If you're providing access to the full work verbatim, recording it and broadcasting it in any sort of public way you're violating copyright, cut and dry

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It happens to me, and others have made reference to it in comments below the articles as well, so it appears to be something on the site's end of things. One person suggested going to the main page first rather than just jumping straight to an article as a way of avoiding it.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

My wife had Jizyah Shorts' business card waiting on her desk when she started a new job a couple years ago, right after that tournament. We take very good care of that one

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

I will never stop calling the Vikings stadium the Metrodome :colbert:

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Bip Roberts posted:

I like defector and the deadcast but the new defector podcasts are very bad.

I like Normal Gossip just fine so far. It's like This American Life but for petty nonsense

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Why would you ever

1) say this to your wife
2) broadcast it years later, or
3) tweet it out as a highlight

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Looks like that tweet owned him into deleting whatever it was

E: https://defector.com/lets-check-in-with-bill-james/

:v:

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

If I'm coaching an NBA team and I know the opposing team has a guy who walked on from a YMCA rec league, I'm giving him lots of open looks to encourage his teammates to pass him the ball as much as possible, imo

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

pseudodragon posted:

How are you going to get your steal/block if the ball never goes anywhere near him? You can’t get a takeaway from the rec leaguer if you cover him because no one in his right mind is going to pass it to him if there’s even a hint of coverage. The only way anyone even thinks about giving him the ball is if you pay 5-on-4 on everyone else and give him 30 feet of space as bait. If the team is dumb enough to take the bait and give it to him, your guy can close out and take the ball away before he can get a shot off.

Yeah this was the point I was trying to make. As the regular team, your goal is to make sure he gets the ball as much as possible

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

That's basically what's happening here:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=QIVf61s4DR4&feature=emb_title

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

I thought it was a good essay, and the anecdote at the beginning provides a good contrast between the kind of terror you can protect your kids from, the kind they learn to overcome as they get older, and the kind of terror that we're evidently not allowed to protect our kids from because 2A hardliners

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Just pay a friend to go to the game, call you on the phone, and put you on speakerphone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

General Dog posted:

Why is this supposed to be my problem

When workers go on strike, consumers can show management that the workers have broad support by refusing to patronize the business until the strike is resolved. It's not rocket science.