Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Don't MLS stadiums have larger capacity stadiums and play far fewer games than the NBA?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Declan MacManus posted:

Sure, that could be fun. What did you have in mind?

I have no stake in Deadbeat Dad's website but something related to the NBA draft threads you make every year could be interesting. I know you pull opinions from a bunch of scouting and pre-draft websites and amalgamate them into the OP, but maybe there is something you can write on regarding that? I just know I always enjoy those threads.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Sash! posted:

They should let athletes major in being athletes.

poo poo, is that really any different than being a dance major or something

Sport Performance majors with a concentration of football.

E: coaching track would be Sports Education

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
There are typically Sports Medicine and Kinesiology degrees that are sports focused but that is as close as it currently gets from what I have seen.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

RalphTheWonderLlama posted:

Why? I'm sure there is a plausible argument to be made. However, I am a music teacher. I often find significant similarities between my chorus class and an athletic team in contrast with other academic classes. Any good music educator will defend the academic legitimacy and importance of the arts and our ensembles to the death. I imagine similar logic applies to athletics.

As a former music student, I agree. It is also why I suggested Sports Performance and Sports Education degrees earlier.

Tender Bender posted:

Students who engage in extracurricular activities are awesome. What isn't awesome is when young adults sacrifice their health and are encouraged to push aside the education they receive as compensation for being underpaid entertainers in million-dollar industries.

This is also true. Music students are not exploited, "guided", or "helped" to the degree major athletes are.

Also, music students can earn money playing in gigs or doing whatever else without losing their scholarship, IIRC.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I don't remember if it was posted in this thread or not, but I am looking for an article/essay about some white guy's realization of some of his racist tendencies after having to move neighborhoods and needing to find a new pick-up basketball group to play with. Does anyone remember this or could point me in the direction to find it?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

morestuff posted:

How do this many people actually listen to sports radio?

I have a 40 minute drive to work and switch between that, NPR, and my own music.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

So It Goes posted:

I do a 30 minute drive and like sports enough to be posting about them on the internet, and I never considered sports radio to be an actual option. Anytime you listen to sports radio, you would be better served listening to a podcast, including sports ones. It's not like the bar is very high either.

I like the occasional bit on Mike&Mike. They can be entertaining every couple days. Listening live to Caliendo reading the LeBron letter as Morgan Freeman was pretty cool. They get the least amount of time on my radio.

The local radio stations talk about what's going on with the teams I care about without me having to go through TigerDroppings or SaintsReport. They usually avoid talking about drama-type stuff unless it is something like hospitalizing a man in a bar fight. When they start talking about sports as a whole is when I tune out.

NPR is usually awesome (except Prairie Home Companion :barf:). I wish they did "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me" every day instead of just weekly, though. I guess I could start up one of their interviews before I get in the car since those are all well done.

In general, I don't care enough about non-Louisiana teams to listen to the more general sport podcasts. I also don't hold out much hope for the locally produced ones to be any good.

----

I hope that when Ray Rice plays in the third game of the Raven's season, the announcers say something like "Here comes Ray Rice, back from his two game suspension for knocking his wife unconscious during a domestic dispute."

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

These were the best drat things.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

The Tim Tebow CFL Chronicles are up.

It is 41,000 words long. Block out an afternoon.

Excellent, found my evening entertainment.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
My basketball games should have Inside the NBA, Roundball Rock, or both.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Lockback posted:

What's that referencing?

The transgender person a writer for Grantland outed. Simmons later had a write-up and apologized for the screwup and outlined steps they were taking to stop it from happening again.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

joshtothemaxx posted:

This is nearly two months old, but here's a really good first-person account of being a basketball player in war-torn Ukraine this past year. I may be a bit biased since I went to Virginia Tech when Collins was there, but whatever.

http://espn.go.com/olympics/basketball/story/_/id/11453771/coleman-collins-season-war-torn-ukraine

We this the guy who had to live off of roaches for a while? Or was that some other player in a different country?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Certainly not the best SI article I have read, but I did like this one talking about Gia Allemand's suicide and the way it affected her boyfriend Ryan Anderson.

https://www.si.com/nba/2014/11/13/ryan-anderson-gia-allemand

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Spoeank posted:

Peter Vescey blocked me for calling him out on the geographical error.

You aren't alone!

Ryan Yamamoto, KXTV posted:

As of Friday night, Vecsey had neither responded to Kings fans nor apologized to Ranadive and the Kings organization. Instead, Vecsey spent time "blocking" anyone, including the members of the media, who made a comment about his tweet.

Carmichael Dave @CarmichaelDave posted:

The Vecsey Block Party of 2015 going on in Sacramento is the best thing so far this year.

Becoming a badge of honor.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I don't know if it's attempting to read IP addresses for suggested teams or if this is national. I am nowhere near any of these teams.

I don't know if it tries to use your IP address or the one of your ISP, but mine has a bunch of stuff about the Pelicans, Saints, and LSU. Which makes sense because I'm in south Louisiana.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

So It Goes posted:

When you read these sites on mobile, do they also have half the phone screen being taken up by useless poo poo? Literally the entire left half of the screen is taken up with the article links and a comically intrusive sidebar for social media sharing. http://i.imgur.com/nRnaj4x.png. You have to scroll so much because so much space horizontally is being used.

Shrink your browser horizontally and the site will eventually adjust to the mobile version. Odds are, the site uses Bootstrap for the responsive design. As a result, the layout can change at four different horizontal browser widths: Phones (<768px), Tablets (≥768px), Desktops (≥992px), Large Desktops (≥1200px). You can just drag the left or right side of your browser to see what those different layouts look like.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

DJExile posted:

Rolling Stone has published a huge retraction of the UVA campus rape story

E: tl/dr version: "We hosed up but we're not changing anything. It was actually all the storyteller's fault." I'm dumb!

This even got play on NPR last night. Or was it early this morning? Can't remember if I heard it while falling asleep or when waking up.

e: Rolling Stone's statement [emphasis mine]:

Will Dana, Managing Editor posted:

A NOTE FROM THE EDITOR: Last November, we published a story, 'A Rape on Campus' [RS 1223], that centered around a University of Virginia student's horrifying account of her alleged gang rape at a campus fraternity house. Within days, commentators started to question the veracity of our narrative. Then, when The Washington Post uncovered details suggesting that the assault could not have taken place the way we described it, the truth of the story became a subject of national controversy.

As we asked ourselves how we could have gotten the story wrong, we decided the only responsible and credible thing to do was to ask someone from outside the magazine to investigate any lapses in reporting, editing and fact-checking behind the story. We reached out to Steve Coll, dean of the Columbia School of Journalism, and a Pulitzer Prize-winning reporter himself, who accepted our offer. We agreed that we would cooperate fully, that he and his team could take as much time as they needed and write whatever they wanted. They would receive no payment, and we promised to publish their report in full. (A condensed version of the report will appear in the next issue of the magazine, out April 8th.)

This report was painful reading, to me personally and to all of us at Rolling Stone. It is also, in its own way, a fascinating document ­— a piece of journalism, as Coll describes it, about a failure of journalism. With its publication, we are officially retracting 'A Rape on Campus.' We are also committing ourselves to a series of recommendations about journalistic practices that are spelled out in the report. We would like to apologize to our readers and to all of those who were damaged by our story and the ensuing fallout, including members of the Phi Kappa Psi fraternity and UVA administrators and students. Sexual assault is a serious problem on college campuses, and it is important that rape victims feel comfortable stepping forward. It saddens us to think that their willingness to do so might be diminished by our failings.

Kibner fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Apr 6, 2015

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Henchman of Santa posted:

I thought Rolling Stone did fire people over this months ago?

No, they didn't discipline anyone. At least, not publicly.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Mahoning posted:

Lifelong debt?

I thought that's what scholarships were for?

:troll:

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

A Man and his dog posted:

Jesus Christ, I just read the piece Kate Fagan did on Madison Holleran's life.

poo poo moved me man......

http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/12833146/instagram-account-university-pennsylvania-runner-showed-only-part-story

I'm glad that we have been starting to see more of these types of stories pop up. They are bringing awareness to the irrationality of depression and that it isn't a stigma but something that should be treated. I have had a couple friends recently go through some serious depression issues and just knowing about this stuff has helped to get them the help they needed and helping them realize they have family and friends that support them without judgement.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Because the average article quality is higher than other sports outlets. The standard they are being judged against is the one they set themselves.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Crazy Ted posted:

Can we still make fun of MourningView for cheering for the Stockton/Malone Jazz and the 1990's Dallas Cowboys?

At the very least, the faith has never wavered.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

zakharov posted:

I am thoroughly mystified by anyone wanting to watch someone else play video games but I acknowledge the world is passing me by.

I like watching people compete and enjoy the aesthetics of some video games as they are played. That's about as deep as it goes.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Alain Post posted:

A huge draw of sports is the physicality and the spectacle. IMO

With video games, it's often stupid fast reaction times, prediction stuff, and ridiculous aim/mechanics.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
And are you competing against someone else that is also streaming?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

OrangeKing posted:

I have no problem with the concept of eSports, but man, I just can't get into watching League of Legends or any other MOBA. Whatever though, they're reasonably popular, it's cool.

Ain't nothing wrong with that. That's like me and baseball. It just doesn't do anything for me.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Jon Bois is a treasure.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Here, have a summary on the most entertaining day of the off-season in any sport ever: http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2015/7/8/8917523/deandre-jordan-signs-clippers-emojis-cards-mavericks

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
well then

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Ramadu posted:

http://deadspin.com/no-one-knows-what-espn-is-doing-to-grantland-1718037323

Well doesn't seem like Grantland is in a really good place right now. Too bad.

A whole lot of conjecture in that piece. Not that I think ESPN will keep Grantland mostly as is, but there is very little proof of anything significantly changing.

They do bring up a good point to keep tabs on who stays or leaves at the end of this year as contracts expire, though.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

commy gun posted:

Another +5 for "a" instead of "an" elite.

I like how he didn't even bother to think of something for the 'Z'.

e: poo poo, I was thinking of the Trump/Benghazi shirt

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Frackie Robinson posted:

The quoted image leaves out some important information

It's like the goddam Last Supper :allears:

This is a good image.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

morestuff posted:

ESPN should make an earnest effort to hire fewer shitheads

It would be funny if this ends up as more ammunition for voters to use to keep him out of the HoF.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

zakharov posted:

She's very into the fashion world. Less with the traditional sports brand endorsements, I guess.

She even owns her own clothing line, iirc.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

MourningView posted:

My firm uses it a ton for postage and labels when we serve documents by mail and it's actually super handy.

It always seemed like a product targeted towards business owners, to me, so your experience aligns with my guess.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

chunkles posted:

One complaint I've read from several sports GM interviews is that they can't even call guys to tell them they've been traded/cut before they hear it on twitter. So this may be a case where ESPN has this call queued up with their HR goons to do over the next week, but it got out anyway. Particularly with that announcement that they intend to keep all the Grantland staff.

ESPN made an official, public notice about the closure of Grantland before informing their employees. It wasn't just a twitter newsbreak.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I only had to quit a job once. It was a white collar job. I gave my two weeks notice, they begged me to stay six weeks. I only ended up staying three weeks (we were rolling out an entire new EHR system and the third week covered the week after going live).

They were baffled when my answer to their question of "Do you have another job lined up?" was "No. I haven't even started looking." My then-boss laughed when I gave my response to what would it take to keep me on. Apparently, double the pay, less OT, more other workers to help out, and a reasonably sized office to work with others in was too much to ask. "Good luck!"

I got it all at my next job that took me a week to find. gently caress hospital IT.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Lockback posted:

My company has frequent layoffs, but they do so with fairly generous severances. They don't need to do that either, but they do because it's not a dick move. I'd give them the same courtesy, because it's not a dick move.

The hospital I mentioned earlier fired an employee because they refused to sign a contract for "voluntary" training. gently caress 'em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Dutchy posted:

I don't think I've ever seen someone do the "gently caress you got mine" thing where the "you" in question is a gigantic corporation

Eh, in this situation, you can also group former co-workers into that, too. Which is kinda lovely.