Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Crazy Ted posted:

Here is a link: click

In the link is a piece written by a basketball player. I will not tell you what is in the link. All I will tell you to do is read it all the way to the end.

He mentions that a woman is doing all of the things that are available to her because much of it is available in the free market (and brings up corn syrup of all things in the rant) then tries a slight quip at voting Republican?

I...just... :psypop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Holocausplay posted:

I agree that making a sign is not an invitation to be harassed, and assuming such is unreasonable, but, by the same token, publishing a person's name is not a call to harass them, and it's just as much of a leap to impute that motive to them. (If we wanted to stop dumbshit from being done with content from the internet, we'd have to shut down the internet. We can't even have a decently democratized encyclopedia without retards filling it with anime, Ron Paul facts or Ty Pepper shooting himself in the anus.) Anyway, there are anywhere from 69 to 420 reasons to post the girl's name, but it would take me over 9,000 seconds to explain them all, so just take one: lo, though they may not post alongside the denizens of SAS or share the rarified tastes of a Bob Costas, there are thousands of squalid, rutting proles in these United States who were curious about that memorable sign; they will click on even the most fleeting and insignificant information about it, and those clicks create money, which can be used to obtain goods and services. It's crass and materialistic and of almost zero informational substance, but if we wanted to put a stop to that, that would be another reason to shut down the entire internet, dynamite every local news station, set fire to every Features desk in America, remove the infographic as a phenomenon, end the national nightly news ten minutes earlier, get rid of cable news entirely, and on and on. I can sympathize with disdaining the profit motive, but aside from that, the act of printing that information is morally null, and any commentary about sexual politics or advocacy of terroristic threats online is little more than question begging.

Ah yes, somebody did something, so do nothing because doing something would mean you must do everything.

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Antifreeze Head posted:

I'm not much for the NFL but I sure do like reading about organizations that might be run by a kook.

Apparently this describes the Kansas City Cheifs as former employees are alleging that walls and their phones were bugged, their emails monitored beyond NSFW material and the guy running the team micromanages to a rather severe degree.

:stonk:

Okaaaaaaaay...I take back what I said about Haley being paranoid.

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Just an FYI, but talking about missing information and then being vague about the specific people may be a bit kin to the classic pot/kettle/black post.

Unless it is supposed to be that way, the kudos I guess.

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Holy poo poo. I love stuff like this because it puts fanaticism in its proper place.

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

Beano Cook died today at the age of 81. Most of the Something Awful generation will remember him as a doddering, senile man who would be rolled out on ESPN from time to time to make awful pronouncements about how good Notre Dame was when the team record was 2-8.

He actually was an authoritative voice in the sports world before that, and also a sports information director at his alma mater, Pitt.

Wow. My dad hated Beano Cook because he was always so...what's the word, pretentious? Like you said, he was an authority in the sports world, but that doesn't mean he was the best authority and heaven forbid you had an opinion different from his. Then again this is third or fourth-hand information by the time it got to my dad, so whatever, it's still sad.

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Crion posted:

"It seems like the problems come when we graft narrative onto a subject we don’t fully understand, but want to delude ourselves into thinking we do" might as well be MalcolmGladwell.txt

This reminds me of any number of comments about a player not hustling or wanting it enough. Yes, that's the missing piece, for the top level athlete that has had to dedicate their profession to their output on a physical basis for a finite period of their adolescent and adult life. Sheesh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Joe Posnanski did a pretty scathing takedown of the 60 Minutes report on the A-Rod/Biogenesis stuff:

http://joeposnanski.com/joeblogs/the-60-minutes-report/

Wow. Crossposting this to the related thread. Awesome find.